How have you been using bath bombs? For most people, we can guess their process. It can or can’t be effective, depending on which side of our guessed process you fall into.
What bath bombs have you been using in the process? Some are safe. Some are not. If you pick a random product, you might end up in the hospital, treating rashes. Or worse. But don’t fret.
This is about the right products and the right process in the use of bath bombs. As a necessity, you will read about the safest use of bath bombs, the DIY and the best bath bombs that work, and other questions on your mind about bath fizzies.
Your Guide to Bath Bombs & Fizzies: Contents
• 17 Best Bath Bombs for a Fizzy Soak
• What Is a Bath Bomb?
• What Are Bath Bombs Made of?
• Bath Bombs vs. Bubble Baths
• Are Bath Bombs Safe?
• How to Use a Bath Bomb?
• Other Bath Fizzy Questions Answered
• How to Make Your Own DIY Bath Bombs?
Before we discuss every aspect of these fun colorful little balls, let’s discover all the best bath bombs available on the market now, ones that will provide you with a pleasant, fragrant and relaxing bath experience.
1. Sol de Janeiro Bum Bum Bath Bomba
When you fill up the bathtub with this bath bomb, you see the fizz in an instant. When you step into the tub, then the real wonder starts. The calmness you experience is uncommon. Use warm water, and the skin would experience a remarkable transformation. One of the best bath bombs, this indulgent tiny ball can be found online at Sephora.
2. Soap Chérie Bath Bomb
In a typical bath bomb, fizzes are just fizzes. But in an untypical, one of the best bath bombs, fizzes are healing, relaxing and pleasing. And this is untypical, special. Once it touches water, it ignites into a burst that supplies your skin with shea butter and Epsom salt. The former moisturizes and the latter relieves. This bath bomb comes in six delicious scents on Nordstrom.
3. Fizz & Bubble Bath Truffles
I bet you want softer skin. Get this sweet box of bath bomb truffles, and you will have no more worries. Once it starts fizzing, your body starts feeling refreshed. You will have a tiny looking product when you buy the product, but don’t underrate it. Wonders happen when it gets to water and your body. It is available in three different box options at Macy’s.
4. Fizz & Bubble Hawaiian Lei Large Bath Fizzy
When all things get dizzy and you feel afraid of sleep, your body is weak, you have another option. Set your feet in the tub, and let a sweet sensation film you. Feel the blueness of an ocean, the whiteness of an island, and the breeze of a clear mind.
How it achieves this? Through the presence of ultra-moisturizing 8-oil blend: aloe vera, coconut, grapeseed, sweet almond, olive, avocado, sunflower and jojoba oils, and Epsom salts, vitamin E, and mica clay. One of the coolest and best bath bombs, this lovely option can be picked up from Ulta Beauty.
5. Lush Bath Bomb Fizzies
The bath bombs in this set are larger than life, all made with special ingredients for a maximum satisfaction. Coming in 10 different colors and scents, yet all featuring essential oils and vitamins for a soothing experience, but also herbs and flower petals, these cuties are available in a pack on Amazon now.
6. Da Bomb Galaxy Bomb Bath Fizzer
Do you love surprises? This bath bomb would give you more than you bargain for. Once it touches water, it goes bubbling a lot of foams. And the spa experience is a time in paradise, with your body soaked up. Get it from Ulta Beauty!
7. Colorful Ring Bath Bomb
Some might think, ‘it is handcrafted,’ and that is the magic. This ‘craft’ contains a plastic capsule, which houses a beautiful ring. The colors are just out of the ordinary. So get this bath bomb from Amazon and enjoy the satisfaction of a refreshed bath.
8. Weekends & Chocolate Flower Bubbles Bath Fizzy
Let us introduce one of the best bath bombs from a reputable brand! What will you get? A blend of about seven natural moisturizing oils, all packed to make this best-selling large fizzy that you can find for purchase at Nordstrom.
9. ME! Bath Handmade Mini Bath Bombs
For those with a busy schedule that want something rejuvenating, this is the best bath bomb. In no time, it is fizzing. And in a short while of stepping inside, you are alive again. Tune the temperature to your comfort, and this product will keep you coming back. It comes in a pack on Amazon.
10. Treets Traditions Revitalising Ceremonies Bath Fizzers
Think of this traditional bath bombs as a special cleaning and purifying product. Blended with volcanic minerals and wild thyme, your time in the tub is a healing process. If you have skin issues, this could restore it. So get it from Ulta Beauty!
11. Zents Unzented Truffle
Endowed with rich shea butter, this bath fizzy comes to completely nourish your skin. It has organic flower essence – you feel calm. Epsom salt in its ingredients is a body detoxifying ingredient. Pick it up from Dermstore and be confident, you have gotten a blend of many important ingredients.
12. Soap Cherie Bath Fizz Bomb Trio Set
This is a colorful big candy of three fragrant bath bombs. All the three bath fizzies feature salts and butters to moisturize your skin while relaxing your muscles. You could add music during the bath to take the level of comfort to a new dimension. Get this lovely pack from QVC!
13. Pacifica Crystal Melon Crystal Energy Bath Bomb
You get bliss from one single bath fizzy. It is formulated with safflower seed oil, meadowfoam seed oil, and jojoba seed oil. A modern aromatherapy, made with the ingredients you will love, this bath bomb has a ring – it’s a choice for everyone and every skin type. The beauty that lies beneath your skin would come. You can find it online at Ulta Beauty.
14. Spa Fairy Deluxe Bath Bomb Set
Made from 100% natural oils, this set of bath bombs is a unique spa experience. Though you are using it at home, it is magic for relaxation. And it comes in a beautiful package that you can offer as a gift. They will duly appreciate the reusable case. Pick it up from Amazon!
15. Hempz Sweet Pineapple & Honey Melon Refreshing Bath Fizzer
Enjoy a bath that is nourishing just like it is flavored with sweet pineapples. Pour in the tub and explode the brilliance in the container. The fragrance could make someone’s day. This lovely bath bomb can be found online at Ulta Beauty.
16. Fizz & Bubble Artisan Bath Fizzy in Rainbow Sherbet
Blending 8 unique hydrating oils, this bath bomb is all you need for a relaxing, nourished bath. Like a night in a luxurious bed, your bathtub is a sanctuary from tiredness and from worries. Get one from Bed Bath & Beyond and feel the wonders to have a clear mind and a relaxed body.
17. Fizz & Bubble Unicorn Donut Bath Fizzy
Just one use would set the experience. You wouldn’t understand the significance of a blend of seven natural oils until you try this Instagram-approved bath bomb. A night will not pass without you wanting such experience again. This unicorn bath fizzy is available for purchase at Ulta Beauty.
Also known as bath fizzies or bath fizzers, bath bombs are small ball-shaped single-use bath products made of dry ingredients, which effervesce in water, bringing scent, color and nourishing powers to water. They can, however, come in other fun shapes, like ice cream cones, stars, hearts, unicorns and more.
Bath bombs are made of two major things: baking soda and citric acid. The ingredients are quiet when dry and reactive (fizzies) when wet. They are produced in different colors, scents, shapes, and sizes but they serve one purpose: a refreshing and spa-like bath.
Bath bomb was invented in 1989. The founder of LUSH, Mark Constantine admired the fizzing characteristics of the Alka-Seltzer. His experiment of combining a baking soda and citric acid gave birth to what is now used in the bathtub.
When a bath bomb mixes with water, the fizzing reaction is created. This is the effect of the two major ingredients: baking soda and citric acid. It brings out a unique color in the water in the bathtub. And it makes the sensory experience a special one.
A good bath bomb usually features essential oils, such as lavender oils, and butter, in addition to the two major ingredients. Their nourishing and moisturizing effect depends on such oils and butter.
Well, the additional ingredient isn’t limited to these two. It depends on the manufacturer, the product and the extra benefits the users should enjoy. These could include flower petals, vibrant pigments, plastic-free glitter, essential oils, Epsom salts, pure sweet almond oil, etc.
Epsom salt has a soothing effect on the skin. Almond oil is recommended for soft, smooth skin. Other essential oils give a therapeutic bath experience. And the benefits continue to differ and increase, depending on the product’s additional content.
The main ingredients in the bath bombs are silent when dry. Once they are in contact with water, they explode, giving a colorful fizz. The major ingredient we are talking about is bicarbonate combined with a weak acid. They form a solid bath bomb, which continues to foam in contact with water for a period of time.
Chemically, the reaction is formed and it involves the conversion of citric acid (the weak acid) and sodium bicarbonate to sodium citrate and carbon dioxide. Partly, another reaction called saponification is formed, which involves the production of soap.
As the bath bomb mixes with water in your bathtub, the sodium bicarbonate reacts with water. This produces carbonic acid and sodium hydroxide. Sodium hydroxide reacts with essential oils and further produces glycerol and fatty acid salts.
As it spends times in water, all its ingredients, essentials oils, fragrance, would dissolve with water, just it has been aimed. And your bath will become colorful, sweet-scented and nourishing, just as it has been prepared in the bath bomb ingredients.
Other ingredients in bath bombs depend on the manufacturer. Essential oils are usually added based on their moisturizing properties – these could be lavender, chamomile, rose, almond oil, coconut oil, etc. These oils in the ingredients are commonly responsible for the beautiful scents. Lauryl sulfate is added to improve the foams in the bath bombs.
Furthermore, flower petals and glitter are added to make the mood suitable for a relaxing bath. Butters – shea butter and cocoa butter – are good for your skin health, if you find them in the product’s ingredients. Salts like Epsom salts are nourishing. Herbs, if included, soften, heal or moisturize the skin.
Though they both serve the same purpose – providing a relaxing bath time, bath bombs and bubble baths are completely different bath products.
Bubble baths are cheaper than bath bombs on most occasions. Their main purpose is to create bubbles rather than fizz and color. Kids find them more attractive for their beautiful bubbles. Usually, they last longer but may not be as eco-friendly as bath bombs.
For ladies with sensitive skin, we would recommend that you use a bubble bath more often in a week than bath bombs. One or two bath bomb is enough in a week to give what your skin desires in a bath.
Bath bombs make fizz and color, but mostly also foam. They are portable than their twin brother – most times. This has made them more comfortable for carrying during travels or presentable to be handed as Christmas or birthday gifts. The ingredients are often from vegan or organic source, making them eco-friendlier.
However, you need to keep them in a container on travels because they could crumble in handbags. Using brightly colored bath bombs may cost you more time to scrub and clean form the bathtub. And the prices are higher than most bubble baths.
The worst thing you could do is to call something dangerous without doing a little research like reading for a minute. Especially, something that is been used commonly, it would benefit you if you generalize without finding out the truth. Here is the truth.
Bath bombs are safe – not 100%, but they are safe.
Fragrances and dyes can be irritating to sensitive skin. This could lead to personal issues with the dyes and fragrances because how the skin would react to bath bombs depends on each skin type.
The problem is that of allergies and once you know it, it is better to stay away from it. But to stay away from it, you must first know your allergies. Irritations are a result of ingredients like limonene, linalool, and alpha-isomethyl ionone. To prevent any case of skin reaction or irritation, avoid bath bombs if you have sensitive skin.
You might get another problem with bath bombs that are highly fragranced. This time it could cause the vagina pH value to be off balance. When such highly fragranced products dissolve in warm water, the additives could enter the vagina, making the area prone to irritation and bacterial infection.
Not everyone would experience the loss of vagina pH balance, irritation and other problems that may follow. The idea would be to test if you are one of the lucky ones. Since, that is not a safe attempt either, rather avoid highly fragranced bath bombs.
A General Tip to Keep In Mind
That is all we have about the potential dangers associated with using bath bombs. You see, they are avoidable, and here is how:
• Understand your body, your skin sensitivity and allergies. If you can’t do that yourself, consult a dermatologist. It is worth it.
• Buy products from respected brands. These brands have a reputation and they are respected for it, so trust them to give you quality. Our list of the best bath bombs guarantees a satisfactory result.
• Read the instructions on a product before use. You might find important information that could save you. If you understand your skin type, you will know some ingredients are recommended. And when you find them on a product, that is a good bonus.
• Natural ingredients in bath bombs rock. Our section on the DIY homemade bath bombs will help you find a good solution.
• Use a clean bathtub always. It is hygienic and it won’t be slippery when you step into it. Keep it clean.
Now it is time to enter the bathroom. Here is how to use a bath bomb for a relaxing, fizzy bath experience!
• Dim the light to make the environment friendlier and suitable.
• Fill the tub with water. Make the temperature suitable for your comfort. The same goes for the depth of the water.
• Before you add the bath bomb, consider putting the product in a fabric. It will dissolve through the fabric, leaving the glitters and flower petals in the bag, which you can throw off later.
• As you add the bath bomb, the fizz starts swirling. Wait and let the ingredients dissolve. Now step in and enjoy your bath.
• After you fizzy bath, step into a shower to rinse off. You can do that in the tub. Simply drain off the tub and have your shower to rinse your body.
• The tub needs cleaning. With the aid of a sponge and a brush, scrub residues form dyes and the bath bomb ingredients.
Bath Fizzy Tips
• The fresher a bath bomb, the better the fizz. Don’t keep it for too long before use.
• You can use bath bombs for another purpose. For sinus relief, buy a product that has eucalyptus oil and use it in a warm bath.
• Different oils in your bath bombs mean better aromatherapy benefits.
• You can wear a face mask before entering the tub. When you are done, the mask would have completed its job.
• Shower fizzies are alternatives to bath bombs.
So you have questions to ask. We have heard similar questions and have the right answers.
Do Bath Bombs Expire?
No. They become less effective, and the amount of fizzes reduces over time.
Do You Just Throw It in the Tub?
Yes, something like that. Throw it in and wait for it to dissolve.
How Long Should I Leave My Bath Bomb Before Getting in the Bath?
Five minutes minimum. Wait for the bath bomb to dissolve before you step in.
How Do I Make the Colors of My Bath Bomb Swirl?
This depends majorly on the product. Swirling is the work of the citric acid and bicarbonate in the bath bomb, and one goes faster than the other.
Will Bath Bombs Stain Me?
No. It would dissolve into the water and like a typical soap, it can be washed and rinsed off.
How Do I Get Glitter off My Bathtub?
Wash it off. A shampoo bar or a shower gel should do the job. Or if you don’t want them entirely, consider putting the products in a fabric before adding the bath bomb to water. It will dissolve through the fabric, leaving the glitters and flower petals inside.
Can I Wash My Hair If There Is a Bath Bomb in the Water?
Of course, you can. And expect no side effects, except that bath bombs are meant for the body. You are cleaning the hair with wrong – not harmful – ingredients.
Can I Use a Bath Bomb If I Have Sensitive Skin?
No, for the fear of irritation. But you could sieve through the list of products to find one that has no bubble mix. Choose and use those.
What Is Lustre? Why Don’t Some Bath Bombs Use Glitter?
Lustre is sometimes used in place of glitter to serve the same purpose. And that’s manufacturer’s choice. Lustre is biodegradable than glitter.
Will Bath Bombs Clog My Drain?
No, they won’t. Bath bombs will dissolve completely. But the glitter and flower petals could. Use a drain catcher to solve this issue.
There are two easy and foolproof ways you can make bath bombs at home that we discuss below. Generally, you could make more options for natural bath bombs. You need to switch (or add more) additional ingredients to the major ones. The additional ingredients include essential oils of different kinds. But, understand the benefits of what you are adding before you choose them.
DIY Corn Starch Coconut Oil Bath Bombs
• 8 oz baking soda
• 4 oz Epsom salt
• 4 oz corn starch
• 4 oz citric acid
• Biodegradable glitter or dried flower petals (optional)
• 2.5 tablespoons of coconut oil (or any other veggie oil)
• About 1 tablespoon of water
• About 2 teaspoons of essential oil (for scent)
• 4-6 drops of food coloring
• Mix baking soda, Epsom salt, corn starch, and citric acid first in a large bowl. The mixture should be clump-free.
• Add visual decorations like biodegradable glitter into the mix.
• Then add wet ingredients – oil, water, essential oil, and food coloring. You can mix this separately in a jar, and shake them up, before adding to the mixture. Increase or reduce the quantity of any of the wet ingredients to your taste.
• Slowly, like you will feed a baby, add the liquid to the dry mixture, one teaspoon at a time.
• As you mix, stop when it starts to fizz.
• Before it dries, put the mixture is a silicone mould. Let it dry.
• Use one at a time.
DIY Vanilla Bath Bombs
• 8 ounces of baking soda
• 4 ounces of citric acid
• 1/2 cup of sea salt or Epsom salt
• 4 ounces of corn starch
• 2 tablespoons of oil of choice
• 2 teaspoons of witch hazel (or water) plus a little more if needed
• 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
• 30-40 drops of essential oils or powdered dried herbs (ginger is great)
• Combine the dry ingredients first. Mix the baking soda, salt, citric acid, and corn starch in a large bowl until combined.
• Mix oil, witch hazel and vanilla extract in a separate bowl and stir well.
• Add essential oils.
• Mix the wet and dry mixtures. The wet goes into the dry.
• Stir. It should hold together when squeezed without crumbling. Adding more witch hazel will help to achieve this.
• Gently, pour the mixture into the moulds.
• Leave for 24- 48 hours.
• Remove and store in airtight container or bag after drying.
• You should use your DIY bath bombs within 2 weeks.
Photos via @kirstenzellers, @navigatingwanderland, @phoebe.jae, @ferespindolaa, @lioninthewild, @jamiewardtv