Beauty accessories have come a long way from different centuries. There are tools being made every day to create the perfect look everyone so much desires. Eyelash curler is one of the impressive innovations in the beauty world, as it gives your eyelashes a natural curl that appeals to just anybody. You get to flaunt your curly and long eyelashes with beautiful eyeballs between them.
Our today’s article will explain you how to use an eyelash curler, what the best eyelash curlers are and everything else you need to know about this beauty tool.
How to Use an Eyelash Curler: Contents
• 11 Best Eyelash Curlers on the Beauty Market
• Basic Types of Eyelash Curlers and Why You Need One
• How to Use an Eyelash Curler Correctly
• Eyelash Curler Hacks and Mistakes to Avoid
• How to Curl Eyelashes Without Using a Lash Curler
Looking for the best eyelash curler for your eye shape to curl your eyelashes effortlessly? Look no further! We have rounded up the best eyelash curlers beauty bloggers and Instagram MUAs swear by!
1. Shiseido Eyelash Curler
Eyelash curling just got easier with this excellent curling tool. It is designed to help you bring out your beautiful eyes by curling your lashes from the base to the tip. You also get to enjoy a device that won the Allure Best of Beauty award, so get your luscious lash look without experiencing any pinching and in good time too. This is the best eyelash curler that you can find online at Sephora.
2. Charlotte Tilbury Life Changing Lashes Eyelash Curler
Charlotte Tilbury has succeeded in making a life-changing eyelash curler that opens your eyes and brings out their unique appeal. With a smooth motion, this eyelash curler gives you beautiful curls without squeezing your lashes in the process. It is available for purchase at Nordstrom.
3. Tweezerman ProCurl Eyelash Curler
Who doesn’t want an affordable eyelash curler that still makes it to the list of the best lash curlers available today? That is precisely what Tweezerman has created. This pro curler has reworked angles that bring excellence to each lash. You can use it for round eye shapes to get fantastic and effortless curls. Pick it up online on Sephora!
4. Kevyn Aucoin The Eyelash Curler
A slim stainless steel eyelash curler would give you what you desire for your eyelashes and also be as portable as you want. This wonderfully designed curler catches individual eyelashes without having any pinching effect on them. There is also the perfect eye-opening look it creates. And what’s even more fantastic is that you can use it for any eye shape. Grab one from you from Sephora!
5. MAC Full Lash Curler
The MAC eyelash curler is designed to shape your natural lashes with a simple squeeze-and-release motion. The curler gives your eyelashes a soft and upward curl, which in turn produces a beautiful effect for your eyes, making them look round and appealing. You can find this lash curler for sale on Nordstrom.
6. Surratt Beauty Relevée Lash Curler
Here is another award-winning eyelash curler for creating beautiful and curled eyelashes for you. This lash curler is made with the classic Japanese minimalism in mind so you get a hand-calibrated sleek tool that will give your lashes the necessary lift. You can use it as close to your eye line as possible; using it before applying your mascara will produce a tremendous effect. Get one for you from Sephora!
7. Lilly Lashes Fabu-lash Eyelash Curler
Get a perfectly curled lash with this makeup bag essential. The eyelash curler has a wide mouth and silicone pads for maximum lash protection while curling them. You should get one to give your eye that ideal look completely. It’s available at Nordstrom.
8. Sephora Collection LashCraft Curler
The LashCraft curler is a newly designed eyelash curler that comes with an innovative design and ergonomic handles. This curler is excellent at creating eye-catching and crease-free curls that make your eye the cynosure of any event. Using it before applying your mascara gives the illusion of big, bold and beautiful eyes that are almost too good to be true. It’s of course available for purchase online on Sephora.
9. Bobbi Brown Gentle Curl Eyelash Curler
Your beauty kit is not complete without adding the Bobbi Brown eyelash curler to it. With this curler, you get an instant eye-opener with lashes that have a natural-looking curl. Get it today at Nordstrom, and you might just become stuck on using it!
10. Lancôme Le Curler
If you need to get curls that are both dramatic and lasting, this is the right option for you. It has silicon pads that cushion and softly caress your lashes to create crease-free and beautiful curls. You can also use it regardless of your eye shape or lash type. You can pick up one from Sephora.
11. Lash Star Supreme Lash Curler
Talk about a classy tool and throw in a great amount of efficiency. What you get is this lash curler available at Nordstrom. Carefully designed to meet the needs of your eyelashes, this curler is the ultimate shaping tool for creating gentle curls that attract attention. Thanks to its curved mouth, it works without pinching your eyes. You can also use it as close to the eye line as possible for a radiant effect.
Eyelash curlers help maximize the beauty of your eyes and perfect your facial features in the process. It is an excellent addition to your makeup kit, but that is not the only use it has. Here are some of the reasons why you need to get yourself an eyelash curler.
• To enhance your eyes: If you have ever seen those Disney princesses with their big dreamy eyes and wanted to have that kind of look, then you should get an eyelash curler. The combination with mascara will make your eyes appear big and beautiful.
• To curl your lashes: Yeah, the name already suggests that. But there are people with straight or thin lashes, and this might make your eyes look dull. Eyelash curlers help you achieve fuller and much thicker lashes than you would typically have.
• To look professional: During a professional makeup routine, eyelash curling is a vital part of it. So mastering the art of using a pair of eyelash curlers can give you that professional look for just about any event.
There is more than one type of eyelash curlers available on the market today, and you need to know which one is best for the kind of curly lashes you desire. So, how do you go about picking one out of all the options available? There is no need to think too far, as we have helped you out with a list of the eyelash curler types.
Regular (or Traditional) Eyelash Curlers
This is the standard plastic or metal eyelash curler you will find at almost every beauty shop, both offline and online. The plastic curler is excellent for those who have sensitive eyes, while the metal curler will give you a more durable curl, which is why it is more expensive.
Heated Eyelash Curlers
Heated eyelash curlers, like their name suggests, have a little mechanism that heats up the curlers when you want to use them. They look like a mascara brush, and you wouldn’t need to crimp when using. All you need to do is hold it in place because you risk breaking your eyelash if you move it. The curl they deliver lasts longer than when using regular curlers, and they are more intense.
Regular Metal Eyelash Curlers with Spring Tension
Here, you have a regular lash curler that closes with spring tension. What the tool does is to help heavy-handed people avoid an accident. The reason is that you will need a bit more effort to close this eyelash curler than the one without the spring, so you would not be able to press it to the point where you lose your lashes.
Mini Eyelash Curlers
Mini lash curlers have smaller clamps that are just perfect for people with small eyes. It can be used to get all your lashes in easily, and what’s great about it is that you can carry it wherever you go.
Making your eyes look bigger and brighter is easily achieved with the help of an eyelash curler. It is a must-have for makeup lovers and those who are just coming into the curling scene. But just like any other beauty accessory, there is the right way to use one – here is what you need to know about how to use an eyelash curler correctly.
Step 1: Get Yourself a Suitable Lash Curler
There are several types of eyelash curlers, which have already been described in the section above. So before you start the routine, it is important you select the one that suits your eye the most. Here are some tips for selecting:
• Metal curlers have better quality, and if you want lashes that last, then you should choose the metal.
• Buy a curler, not because of the price, but for the quality.
• A heated lash curler is simpler to use than an ordinary one. But, you can also heat up a metal curler before you start curling.
• Pick an eyelash curler that is sturdy and has a good grip for your hand. It should also not be too firm to avoid eyelash damage.
Step 2: Clean Your Eyelashes Before Starting
You should know that when curling, your eyes should be devoid of makeup. This is to avoid any bacteria spreading to the eye area, thereby causing a nasty infection.
It is pretty crucial that you clean your eyelashes before you start. The result you get from curling eyelashes that have leftover makeup, like mascara, is clumpy eyelashes. If you do not proceed with care, you might also get your eyes irritated and have to deal with an infection.
Step 3: Apply Makeup First
If you want to do any kind of makeup, then apply it first before using your eyelash curler. But, you might just want to stop right before you apply your mascara. Using your mascara before using the eyelash curler might ruin your eyelashes.
Step 4: Curl Your Lashes
After selecting the type of eyelash curler you prefer, cleaning your eyelashes and following the proper steps, the next step is to curl those lashes.
• Hold the eyelash curler close to the roots of your lashes and assure you refrain from pinching your skin.
• Open the clamps and get your eyelashes in between them.
• Clamp down on the lashes and gently squeeze the curler for about 3 to 10 seconds.
• After applying the clamp close to the root, repeat the procedure for the middle and tips of your eyelashes. This would give you a great result.
• Clamp down gently on the tips one last time to avoid any crimp.
• You can now apply your mascara after the curling process has been carried out. The result will be nice, bigger eyes that are irresistibly appealing.
Eyelash curling produces beautiful effects, but things can quickly go south if you go about it the wrong way. It can be as bad as even losing your eyelashes but do not panic yet. Here is the list of things you should do for a great result and things you shouldn’t do to avoid accidents.
• The first thing to do when you are starting to curl your lashes is simple: get a great eyelash curler. Buy the one that suits your eye shape perfectly.
• If you are using a tradition eyelash curler (preferably metal), then you can warm it up a bit by placing it in warm water or using a blow dryer. This would help you create the effect close to that of a heated lash curler.
• Curl at an angle for a better result. To achieve this, pinch and invert your curler.
• You can also apply your eyeliner to your eyelash curler for easy application. The outcome is always mind-blowing and it delivers perfectly lined eyes.
• Clean your eyelash curler. If you use your curler regularly, there might be mascara build-up on it. This can quickly become the breeding ground of bacteria and can also lead to an eye infection. Hence, always make sure you wipe and disinfect your curler after each use.
• Don’t clamp down too hard. This is to avoid eyelash breakage and loss. Do not make the mistake of handling your curler aggressively or for way too long.
• Replace your rubber pads. If you have a metal eyelash curler, there are rubber pads put at the edges to make sure that your eyelashes come to no harm. Whenever you notice those pads wearing out, the best option is to replace them.
There are other ways of curling eyelashes without using an eyelash curler. Just read this section in case you do not have an eyelash curler at hand.
Curling Eyelashes With a Spoon
• Take a spoon and heat it in a cup of clean water. This creates the effects of a heated metal eyelash curler.
• Dry the spoon after warming it.
• Press your lashes against the curved edge of the warm spoon.
• Do the same for the other eye, making sure you warm the spoon again before using it.
• Apply mascara and lastly, comb your eyelashes.
Curling Eyelashes with Your Mascara and a Cotton Swab
• Apply your mascara as you normally would; then press a cotton swab on your eyelashes, holding it up until the mascara dries or for about 30 seconds.
• Repeat the procedure for your lower lashes and the other eye.
Finger Lash Curlers
You can also use your fingers to work the magic of curling your eyelashes though they might not be as curly as using a lash curler.
• Use your breath to warm your fingertips or rub your palms together to generate warmth.
• Press your lashes with your fingertips for ten seconds.
• You can repeat this until you get the desired result. Repeat for the other eye as well.
• You can apply mascara when you are done or just leave it fresh.
The Korean Technique: Fire and Stick
The Korean technique employs a not-too-pointy stick and fire to curl the eyelashes.
• Heat the stick gradually by running fire up and down the length for about 4 to 5 seconds.
• Tap in on your fingers and make sure it cools down a bit before you start using it.
• Move it in a zig-zag motion up and down your eyelashes for long-lasting curls.
• If you want to use this technique, you have to be patient and take precaution so as not to lose your eyelashes, or worse – burn your eyelids in the process.
How to Curl Eyelashes Using a Warm Toothbrush
• Put a toothbrush inside a cup of hot water and then dry it lightly.
• Starting at the base of your lashes, brush your lashes into the curl position and hold at the tips to get the best result.
Photos via @beautsoup, @thecalmcollective_, @neighha, @kenzas