Hand creams are meant to make the hands soft and supple, and keep the skin on your hands healthy and looking fresh. Many hand lotions and creams exist out there on the market, so making a good choice can be a tough task – trust us, it can! Well, that is exactly why we have prepared a detailed beauty guide to keep the process easy.
In fact, you will be more knowledgeable about hand creams after reading this article – and maybe you might go head-to-head with cosmetologists and hand beauty experts. There are qualitative and well-detailed answers to questions ranging from which hand cream to choose and how to use it.
Beauty Guide to Hand Creams and Lotions: Contents
• 17 Best Hand Creams & Lotions to Get Soft Hands
• Why You Should Use a Hand Cream
• How to Choose the Best Hand Cream for Your Hands
• Using the Hand Creams Like a Pro and Getting Results
• Some Tips For The Safety of Your Hands
• Can You Use Hand Creams On Your Face?
• How Often Should You Use Hand Cream?
• How to Use Hand Creams During Winter
• Other Ways to Use Hand Creams In Your Beauty Routine
Today, there are thousands of hand creams available on the market. While some are just the right in terms of quality, some are equally the opposite. Here, we have compiled a list of the best hand creams for you to choose from. So, whichever you choose, we can guarantee that your hands will be increasingly smoother, fresher, and younger.
1. Kiehl’s Ultimate Strength Hand Salve
If your skin is the driest, and you think you need a special hand cream, then you are talking about the Ultimate Strength Hand Salve. This hand cream will give your skin a ‘glove-like’ protection. It couples this perk with a rich formula that actually makes your skin glow. It is specially formulated for dry and most active hands by keeping them fresh all day long. You can get it from Nordstrom.
2. Soap & Glory Hand Food
Shea butter is good for the skin and is one of the best natural components that the skin can benefit from. This hand cream is well formulated with shea butter in addition to marshmallow. It is effectively scented with an original pink rose and bergamot fragrance.
Greasy when you apply to the skin, it feels silky-soft to touch. You have something that makes your hands look shiny, and do not forget the fact that your hands will probably smell nicer than ever. Get this hand cream from Ulta!
3. Byredo Mojave Ghost Hand Cream
This hand cream gives you a scent that lasts all day. Wonder not, it is well infused with powdery violet and Ambrette. Also, it is compact and good to keep in your purse. When you need it, fetch it, hydrate your skin and return the nice scent your skin deserves. This hand cream is available through Net-a-Porter.
4. Caudalie Hand & Nail Cream
One of the best hand creams to get soft hands, this one can be described in two words – ‘nourishment’ and ‘protection’. It is an anti-oxidant and anti-aging moisturizing cream that protects the hands. It won’t leave any greasy film on your skin when you use it.
Specially made for your hands and nails, this cream will keep them looking always young. To make it even more effective, just massage it into your hands and nails after applying. It’s available through Sephora.
5. Verso Hand Serum
Let’s do a quick math: this cream plus your hands equal to freshness. Yes, and it is formulated with Retinol 8 (this simply means it is unique – that is a simple language). It rejuvenates your hands with its potent vitamin A complex combined with vitamin B3, which ends up stimulating the skin to produce collagen. You still don’t get it, right? Let’s repeat the simple language: it is unique and it’s available at Net-a-Porter.
6. Claus Porto Cerina Hand Cream
We understand you want to keep a hand cream in your bag to care for your hands. To keep your hands nourished and dry, to prevent cracking and environmental damage, you should get this hand cream by Claus Porto. It is formulated with Jojoba seed oil and Argan – the two make your skin completely hydrated. It is, of course, suitable for trips and tours, and is available at Net-a-Porter.
7. Ahava Mineral Hand Cream
Do you want a hand cream that instantly soothes your skin? If yes, Ahava is the name. It has a lot of beneficial ingredients that make your skin respond to its touch fast and with a beautiful result. Some of the ingredients are Allantoin, hazel extracts, and Aloe Vera. It heals, soothes and restores moisture. Get it from Ulta!
8. L’Occitane Shea Butter Hand Cream
Another Shea butter power on the list, this is super-smoothing and formulated with about 20% shea butter. When it comes to the texture, it gives your skin something pleasing to see, touch and feel.
One of the best hand creams, it is a mixture of good and important ingredients blended altogether; these essential ingredients include jasmine, ylang-ylang, and vitamin E. Your hands need a fresh beginning, and L’Occitane is the new beginning. Get a tube for yourself from Nordstrom!
9. Grown Alchemist Age-Repair Hand Cream
One of the best hand creams to try, this is a professional collagen stimulator, which smells nice, while the Phytopetides work to reduce the fine lines and eradicate any sign of sun damage on your skin. Sweet almond oil is the essential ingredient that makes it deserve our recognition. Not that alone, however, it is free of many unhealthy chemicals. Pick it up from Net-a-Porter!
10. Jack Black Industrial Strength Hand Healer
This hand cream is rich in rice bran oil that helps soften your skin. If you want something that isn’t greasy, then you have Jack Black. It is rich and formulated with both vitamin A and vitamin B. It heals and soothes your dry, chapped or cracked hands perfectively. Give a new life to your hands by changing its look with this hand cream available through Sephora.
11. Claus Porto Cedar Poinsettia Hand Cream
For a protective and hydrating hand cream, this is the best buy. It repairs, hydrates and protects dry hands like no other. The scent is refreshing grapefruit and orange leaf. Nothing will happen to your hands in the hard wind when you’ve shielded it with Claus Porto’s Cedar Poinsettia. Like a perfect gift, it is packaged in an Art Deco-inspired box, available at Net-a-Porter.
12. The Body Shop Hemp Hand Protector
After washing your hands, you need them to be fresh. This product will soften your skin, as it has been tested dermatologically and proven to be the best choice for very dry skin types. It contains Community Fair Trade seed oil. These seeds contain a high concentration of essential fatty acid. With it, your skin will be repaired and it will work as the best skin moisture barrier for your hands. Get this hand cream from Ulta!
13. By Terry Baume De Rose Hand Cream
This product is a deeply nourishing hand cream. Featuring all shades of roses, this non-greasy formula will envelope your skin in a protective veil of rose butter, rose flower essential wax, and rose hip oil. The latter is essential for its performance in keeping your hands hydrated and repaired. Your skin will surely be left supple and soft. Find this hand cream at Net-a-Porter!
14. Origins Make a Difference Rejuvenating Hand Treatment
Do you really want to make a difference in the texture of your hands and their appearance generally? This is a hand cream that has a lot of hardworking ingredients performing their duty relentlessly and achieving a tangible result. It has an oceanic flora that fixes damaged skin. If you want effective changes, you should be asking for this hand cream available at Sephora.
15. Deborah Lippmann SPF25 Rich Girl Anti-Aging Hand & Cuticle Cream
Deborah Lippmann is your best call for an effective anti-aging hand and cuticle cream. From everyday damage and activities you do with your hands, this formulated moisturizing hand cream keeps your hands protected. It is hydrating. It is protective.
This cream is a botanical brightening complex that prevents skin pigmentation and keeps skin without irritation. Softness and smoothness are two things you will observe after use. Find this one at Net-a-Porter!
16. Captain Blankenship Avocado & Peppermint Hand, Cuticle & Foot Balm
You can improve your skin tone with the right product only, like this hand cream. It is formulated with organic avocado oil, which determines the phenomenal improvement that will happen to your skin tone. Moisturizing and nourishing, it is formulated with cocoa butter as well as shea butter. Get your own jar of this hand balm from Sephora and change the way your hands look!
17. Tata Harper Rejuvenating Hand Cream
The skin on your hands is blessed with a unique helper. This hand cream is a rejuvenating skincare product that hydrates, regenerates, and repairs the skin on your hands. Moisture on your skin is locked in. Wrinkles will disappear.
The cream is formulated with essential ingredients such as hyaluronic acid, avocado peptides, rose geranium and magnolia flower extracts. Using this cream will give you the natural fragrance you deserve. Pick it up from Net-a-Porter!
The most used part of our body is the hand. Often it is exposed, and unlike the other parts of the body, it is used for picking things up, work in offices, gardens or workshops, in greetings and making gestures. It is, therefore, important to keep this part of our body healthy and looking good at all times.
Hand cream helps our hands in many ways. Many of these reasons are just important, else our hands will look rough, the surface will be tough and maybe the hands will be shameful to extend for a greeting.
You should, therefore, use hand creams and lotions because they:
• Keep the hands hydrated;
• Keep the hands fresh and looking good;
• Protect against bad weather and things you touch daily;
• Heal some skin infection – if there’s any.
Some might still doubt the benefits of hand creams and say it’s not that important. See it this way: your face is beautiful and looks fresh, but when you expose your hands, people have to check your face again to see if that face belongs to those hands. You don’t want that.
So, we recommend the use of hand creams and lotions to make your hands look fresh, just like your face.
To be honest, here is where it gets tough. You want to make the most of your money, time and effort. Not only that you want to make sure you are making the right decision with your choice of hand lotion, but going to the market and picking any hand cream isn’t a choice because the look of your hands matters. Read on, this is what we are about to discuss.
First, you need to know what types of hand creams exist there. Hand creams, generally, come in two forms:
• Hand creams or gels
• Hand lotions
Each cream has its purpose. Some factors have to be considered before you choose the type of hand cream so as to achieve the best out of the choice you make. Of course, you could go for any of the two, but we say, they are meant to serve slightly different purposes. That means you need to understand the differences between hand lotions and hand gels.
Hand Creams/ Gels
Hand creams or gels have a larger percentage of oil content. They are thicker because they have less water content and, for the same reason, they are kept in jars. If they are stored in tubes, because of their thickness, it will be difficult to get them out for use.
Hand gels are best when the weather is dry and when a little amount of moisture is in the atmosphere. They are the best hand creams for dry hands or aging hands. This is because dry skins need more protections, and hand gels provide just that.
Soft and viscous as they flow freely than gels, hand lotions are stored in tubes. This is because their content has a higher percentage of pure water than gels. When you want something you can spread on the large surface of the skin, then you should go for lotions.
Hand lotions are best for every skin type that isn’t dry or that doesn’t have any defects. They keep the skin moisturized at all times. When the weather is humid, and much moisture content is in the air, lotions are your best choice.
Making a Choice
Meanwhile, men’s best choice is hand lotion. Men’s hands are mostly covered in hair and are usually dry. So, if you are a lady and your hands are not really a dry type of skin, then go for a lotion.
Whether you are going for hand lotion or gel, some things are important and will help you make a good choice. They are:
• Go for popular brands. The chances of buying quality are higher. Usually, the result is what makes them popular.
• Check the number of natural ingredients in the hand creams you choose. Natural ingredients will produce the mesmerizing, anti-aging and freshness effects you desire.
• Ladies with oily hands should consider hand gels or lotions with less of oil content.
• Check the bottle for any useful information: some manufacturers leave some salient information to let you know if truly the product is best for you.
Some of the ingredients of a good hand cream are easy to notice. They have essential benefits that are too long to mention. However, you should know these ingredients; check them on a hand cream before you finally pay for it. They include:
• Shea butter
• Aloe Vera
• Avocado peptides
• Flower extracts (especially roses)
• Antioxidant vitamins (A, C, and E)
• Natural seeds
Summarily, you should check for natural ingredients.
Also it’s wise to always opt for hand creams with at least SPF 30, since your hands are always exposed to the harmful sunrays, and sun protection is the number one step to preventing premature aging and signs of hyperpigmentation.
Finally, you have made a choice. You now have a lotion for your normal hand skin or you have chosen a cream if your skin is dry. Before you start applying the hand cream, you should have the following with you:
• Hand lotion or gel
• A towel
Now, let’s apply it:
1. Remove all accessories from your hands (rings, watches, etc.).
2. Use a gentle hand soap to wash your hands.
3. At the back of one of your hands, put a little drop of the hand gel or lotion.
4. Make your two hands meet like you want to make a gentle clap with the back of your hands; this will put some hand cream on the other hand.
5. Rub it gently on each hand’s length.
6. Pay attention to your knuckles and elbows; these parts need special attention.
7. Some amount of the hand cream will be left on your palm; you can wash it away with soap and water or simply clean off with the towel.
Aside from using hand creams, certain tips will help your hands look fresh and young. Shall we explore them?
• Wear gloves while working with dirty things or chemicals.
• When travelling, keep a hand cream in your bag – really, it will not eat up the whole bag; and when your hands feel dry, you will have a saver.
• Do not smoke. If you are smoking, time to stop or at least reduce it. Generally, smoking affects your skin and makes it age quickly.
• Use your hand cream before bed and wear cotton gloves. Your hands will become softer and fresher by the time you wake up.
Hand creams are anti-aging products. Should you then use your hand cream for your face (at least your face will not age)? Your answer might be affirmative. Once you have your hands shiny and not showing signs of aging, if you apply hand creams on your face, the result will be the same: shiny and not aging.
The answer is a big NO. You shouldn’t use hand creams on your face. Companies that specialize in the production of hand creams advise against it. But, why? The price of face cream is twice that of hand cream. You might think you are saving cost and giving your face an anti-aging treatment. But no, this is not true for some reasons.
Hands are more exposed and can age faster. Therefore, in hand creams, there is more concentration of anti-aging technologies. This means you are using more than necessary anti-aging products if you apply hand creams on your face.
If you insist on using hand creams on your face, then you are running a certain risk. These risks include:
• Face too shiny.
• Hand creams, according to Collin Sander – a cosmetics chemist, can block pores on the face.
However, there is an exception. Some hand creams work fine on dry skin. So, if you have a very dry skin type, you might want to opt for hand creams such as the Lancome Nutrix Royal Mains Hand Cream. As a measure, ensure you read instructions on the body of the cream before trying it out.
Well, how often do you want your hands protected against infection? How often do you use face cream to prevent your face from being rough and dry?
Like face cream, hand cream will prevent aging. It will, for as often as you use it, improve the elasticity of your hand skin.
Therefore, just like you are keeping your face protected, keep your hands protected, too, for as often as the former. Doing so will help your hands be fresh just like your face.
Also, hand creams help to prevent pigmentation of the skin due to sun exposure.
Every season determines the type of body fluid to use; else you will be getting an average performance from the hand cream.
Hand lotions are effective because of one thing – they have more water content. In winter, they are the best choice for their water content and they keep the body greasy. For months during winter, our skin will be dry; therefore, you need fluid with more water content to keep your skin greasy.
How does one apply hand creams in winter? Here’s how:
• Apply it directly after bath or shower.
• Use a towel to dry the skin softly – not completely; leave some moisture to make the lotion more effective.
• Immediately, spread some lotion on your skin before the moisture dries and rub it smoothly.
Note: The process of leaving some moisture on your skin helps to increase hydration by trapping water in the cell close to your skin surface.
For people who do not bathe every day during winter, ensure to cream some parts of your body every day. The parts you should moisturize every day are your heels, face, and feet in addition to your hands.
For your hands, they will be washed regularly because you will be using them for most activities. While washing your hands after use is good, it means you are washing off the lotion you once applied and you need to apply it again. Keep your hand cream handy in your purse or bag everywhere you go. When you need it, simply apply it.
There are other ways to use hand creams in addition to the conventional uses. This guide here is specifically for anyone who has a lot of hairs and wants to make things convenient.
• To hydrate and take down the frizz of your hair, put some amount of the hand cream on your palm and tame those unruly strands. Guide the hair by applying the cream only in one direction.
• Maybe you have curls and you perceive your hair needs some treatment. Apply the hand cream mildly, and then keep it firm with a bound.
• If you’ve finished shaving your legs, and your skin is feeling dry, you can use hand cream as an alternative treatment. Let your skin thank you later for coming out beautiful and shiny.
• To fight the unpleasant static of your clothes, rub the cream sparsely and gently on your hands and run your creamy hands over your clinging clothes. Or just use the cream directly on your clothes in a small amount.