What’s the first thing you think of when you hear body glitter or body shimmer? If you are anything like I am, you probably think of chunky, roll-on glitters from the early ’00s or the shimmer body spray from Victoria’s Secret that has always been popular amongst tweens. But shimmering body lotions aren’t only for those under the legal drinking age.
Plenty of high-end beauty brands are jumping on the body shimmer train in one way or another. On this list, we’ve rounded up 21 body glitters and shimmers that will have you shining bright like a diamond all night long! We also discuss the differences between glitter and shimmer and ways of using them right. Keep reading to check them out!
Body Glitter Guide: Contents
- 21 Best Body Glitter & Shimmer Products
- Body Glitter vs. Shimmer: Main Types
- How to Use Body Shimmer & Glitter
- How to Remove Body Glitter
21 Best Body Glitter & Shimmer Products to Try
From lotions to gels to powder formulas, you can find the right shimmering body highlighter for your personal needs below. No matter which you choose, there will be a shimmer product on this list to suit your needs. So, if you are feeling the need for some extra shine (and who isn’t these days?), have a look through our list and give a few of our recommendations a try!
1. Best Overall: Sol de Janeiro Glowmotions Glow Body Oil
While it does come in four other juicy shades, the Sol de Janeiro shimmering body oil in Copacabana Bronze is the perfect tinted shimmer oil to complement your summer tan or if you want to bronze it up in the offseason. Sulfate- and paraben-free, it uses cupuaçu butter, açaí oil, and coconut oil to keep your skin moisturized while restoring and conditioning your skin’s elasticity. It’s hydrating, perfectly luminizing, buildable, and it works for both face and body and for all skin tones. What’s not to love? Get it from Sephora!
2. Best Liquid: Fenty Beauty Body Lava Body Luminizer
If an oil-based product isn’t your favorite, but you still want a scent and sparkle payoff similar to our number one pick, then check out the Fenty Beauty Body Luminizer. This body highlighter is a gel-based liquid and features the same scent as the Fairy Bomb Shimmer Powder. Perfect for a dewy finish, it comes in four color options, from gold to bronze to copper, all of which are universally flattering. Pick it up from Sephora!
3. Best Splurge: Tom Ford Soleil Blanc Shimmering Body Oil
If you want the experience of a genuinely luxurious shimmer oil, take a look at Tom Ford’s Soleil Blanc. This oil is similar in fragrance to the Soleil Blanc perfume (featured here!) and would make an excellent beach day companion. This lightweight oil comes in two shades, containing shimmers of gold and platinum leaf. This lightweight, fragranced oil is available at Nordstrom.
4. Best Drugstore: NYX Professional Makeup Face and Body Glitter
For those glamming on a budget, look no further than the NYX glitter. This cosmetic-grade glitter comes in twelve stunning colors and can also enhance eye and lip looks. Make sure to read the packaging, though, as only specific colors (blue, teal, crystal, silver, and ice) can be used safely near the eyes, and only the color Ice is recommended for use on the lips! Grab it online at Ulta or Amazon!
5. Best Moisturizing: Patrick Ta Major Glow Body Oil
This shimmer body oil from Patrick Ta is packed with ingredients to keep your skin glowing from the inside out. Filled with vitamins C and E, as well as olive oil and squalane, this body oil will keep your skin super moisturized while preventing redness and dryness. It is also vegan, cruelty-free, and comes in recyclable packaging. Purchase it today at Sephora!
6. Best for Kids: Sea Star Sparkle Glamingo Glitter Sunscreen SPF 50
With a yummy fruity fragrance and a sparkling glow, this sunscreen is going to be your kid’s best friend when out in the sun. This sparkling sunscreen contains SPF 50 and provides broad-spectrum UVA/UVB protection and 80 minutes of water resistance. The shimmering lotion will provide fun in the sun and ease of mind for parents who want to make sure their kids are adequately protected. Pick it up from Nordstrom!
7. Best Buildable: Lime Crime Body Lite
Lime Crime’s Body Light body highlighter is perfect for anyone who wants to start small and build on their glow as they go. Available in two shimmering shades (Enchantress – a shimmering gold, and Lunar – a pink with silver shimmer), this highlighter from Lime Crime is perfect for a subtle shimmer or heavily saturated look, whichever your heart desires! Snag it from Ulta!
8. Best Scent: NARS Monoi Body Glow I
This shimmering beauty oil from NARS features Monoi de Tahiti oil and is blended with tiare flower and coconut oil to create a warm, beachy scent. Use it to add a sheer tint to the skin after sun exposure or on medium-tan skin tones for a sun-kissed glow. Purchase it at Sephora!
9. Best Deal: Charlotte Tilbury Jumbo Supermodel Body Shimmer Shape, Hydrate & Glow
This limited-edition, Nordstrom-exclusive jumbo size of Charlotte Tilbury’s Body Shimmer may be the best bang for your buck when it comes to a high-end shimmering body lotion. At just under 7 oz, this lotion uses botanicals and de-puffing ingredients to create the illusion of a longer, leaner physique. For this exclusive jumbo size, check it out at Nordstrom!
10. Best Clean: Kopari Coconut Body Glow
Known for their coconut-based products and reputation for being a clean company, the Kopari skin illuminator is dermatologist tested and guarantees a coconut-infused glow that you need not worry about when it comes to harmful chemicals. This pearlescent body highlighter is also safe for the face and can help combat dryness and dull skin. On top of adding a brilliant shimmer, this vegan product is sulfate-, paraben-, and silicone-free. Purchase it at Sephora!
11. Best Nourishing: Moroccanoil Instant Radiance Shimmering Body Oil
Known for its quick absorption and non-greasy residue, the Moroccanoil brand has used its proprietary oil formula and fragrance as a base for this nourishing shimmering body oil. The addition of sesame oil and mineral mica powders give this oil its luxurious scent and glowing finish. Use this quick-absorbing oil to highlight your arms, chest, and legs. It’s available at Nordstrom.
12. Best Holographic: Urban Decay Sparkle Out Loud Heavy Metal Glitter Gel
Urban Decay’s glitter gel is anything but quiet. This product is hyper-saturated and reflective, the perfect addition to a glam-rock look. Inspired by their glitter eye gel from the early 2000s, this water-based gel is eye-safe and can be packed with a brush or just your finger. With a quick dry-down, this gel will stay put for up to nine hours and is easily removed whenever you’re ready with water and your regular makeup remover. Purchase it at Ulta!
13. Best Subtle Glow: KKW Beauty Skin Perfecting Body Shimmer
While the Kardashians may be anything but subtle, the KKW Beauty body shimmer provides a low-key glow that will have your skin looking moisturized and radiant. Use alone or layered with other body makeup and easily remove with your favorite makeup remover. For best results, pair with the KKW Body Brush, and be sure to let it dry before getting dressed! Pick it up from Ulta!
14. Best Glitter-Free: Natasha Denona Body Glow
Suppose you are looking for a shimmering body and face highlighter without larger chunks of glitter. In that case, the Natasha Denona Body Glow comes in three stunning shades to complement various skin tones. Reviews for Body Glow mention low transfer and a long-lasting, natural glow without the stickiness that some other products are known for. Purchase it at Sephora!
15. Best Spray-On: Anastasia Beverly Hills Shimmer Body Oil
Want to achieve a luxurious glow without getting it all over your hands? Take a look at the Anastasia Beverly Hills product. Packaged in a convenient spray bottle, you can easily mist this shimmering oil over your body. Of course, you can use your hands to rub the product in, but this superfine mist can also just be left to dry down on the skin, leaving a weightless finish and coconut-vanilla scent. Grab it from Nordstrom!
16. Best Powder: Fenty Beauty Fairy Bomb Shimmer Powder
This highlighting body powder from Fenty Beauty comes with a 96% recommendation from its reviewers, and it’s easy to see why. A loose powder, it can be used safely on the eyes, face, and body to give you an all-over glow. It comes in three shades, all scented with a sweet vanilla coconut fragrance. Get it from Sephora!
17. Best Gel: Dior J’adore Gelée d’Or Shimmer Gel
If you’re a fan of the Dior J’adore perfume, you’re going to love this shimmering body gel. When applied, this gel leaves a luminous finish and the luscious floral notes of J’adore. The pearlescent golden shimmer is housed in a round glass bottle with a golden cap, a perfect match to other Dior products. Find it online at Nordstrom or Amazon!
18. Best Lightweight: Urban Decay Moondust Glitter Liquid Face & Body Illuminizer
The superfine, duo-chrome glitter and pearlescent pigments of the Urban Decay Moondust make it perfect for glitzing up your face and body without overdoing it. Available in four different colors to complement any skin tone, you can easily create a diffused, natural look by dabbing this highlighter on with your fingers or a more concentrated look by using a beauty blender. Find it for sale at Sephora!
19. Best Stick: Winky Lux Shimmer Up Face & Body Shimmer Stick
If you want to glow and shine on the go, you need a travel-friendly option. For a body shimmer in the perfect travel-ready packaging, pick up the Winky Lux. This shimmer stick comes in a pinky bronze shade, free of plastic glitters to ensure environmental safety. The reviews boast multiple uses, from a highlighting stick to a sparkling lip balm. Purchase it today at Ulta!
20. Best with SPF: Coppertone Glow Hydrating Sunscreen Lotion SPF 30
If you want that beautiful glow without compromising on safety, this two-in-one sunscreen with shimmering particles is your best bet! This broad-spectrum protectant from Coppertone features SPF 30 and up to 40 minutes of water-resistant protection. Safe for everyday wear, this sunscreen gives off a pinky-gold shimmer and is also free of parabens, PABA, phthalates, and oxybenzone. Add it to your Amazon cart today!
21. Best Customizable: Cover FX Glitter Drops
For a unique look, the Cover FX Glitter Drops will be your best friend. Available in three shades, you can use these drops on their own or add them to almost any product, from body lotion to foundation. You can even mix two shades for further customization. Like all Cover FX products, they are also vegan and cruelty-free! Check it out at Ulta or Amazon!
Body Glitter vs. Shimmer: Main Types
When you think of body glitter, you most likely think of the giant pieces of glitter you might have worn when you were a kid (is anyone else having roll-on glitter flashbacks?). But then, we have the more sophisticated body shimmer, which uses super-fine light-reflective particles to create a glamorous glow, reminiscent of sun-kissed skin.
Body glitter typically consists of larger glitter particles and less shimmer. It is excellent for a bold statement look.
For a subtler appearance, shimmer is the way to go in terms of face and body. It is like glitter’s grown-up sibling – a little more experienced and a little better dressed.
When choosing the best option for you, there are a few different formulas you can choose from. They include:
Body shimmer oils are typically oil-based, such as coconut oil, argan oil, or a combination of other oils such as olive oil and vitamin-E. Those based on oils will be the most hydrating and can double as a body moisturizer.
For ease of application and without having to get your fingers covered in shimmer or glitter, there are spray-on options. If you purchase a product in a spray bottle, you can add a pop of shimmer that falls naturally over your body without having to rub it in and get your hands covered in the same product.
Powders, much like a highlighter, are perfect for a soft, diffused shimmer. Powders are also usually travel-friendly, with many coming in compacts. Loose powders may be a bit messier, but you can’t beat the versatility. You can load on the shimmer for a statement look or leave a dusting on your collarbones.
Some lotions contain shimmer to up your moisturizing game even further. Shimmering body lotion is often just as moisturizing as other lotions, but with an added kick. If you want to channel feelings of summer in the dead of winter, try moisturizing with a shimmering body lotion. You’ll have an all-day reminder of the season to come.
SPF with Shimmer (a Subset of Lotions)
Similar to lotions with body shimmer, there are quite a few SPF options that contain shimmer or glitter. They contain illuminating particles to highlight your skin all day long while keeping it safe from sun damage!
Remember those roll-on flashbacks we were having earlier? Shimmer and glitter sticks seem to have replaced the messy roller balls that many of us might remember from days long past. These sticks are terrific for travel or throwing in your purse.
How to Use Body Shimmer & Glitter
Now, you may think you can slather on some shimmer lotion or oil and head out the door, but taking a few calculated steps will have you shining bright like a diamond.
For the Body
Shimmer Oils and Lotions
• Pick the Right Area: When using body shimmers or glitters, you should focus on the areas that are sure to catch the light and reflect those beautiful products. Your shoulders, collarbones, thighs, and calves are the best places to focus on. Having targeted areas for the product will also keep you from overdoing it.
• Preparation: To make sure that your shimmer and sparkle lasts until the morning dawn, be sure to moisturize your body correctly beforehand. Having moisturized skin will give your product an excellent base to work its sparkle on.
• Application: When it comes to something highly concentrated like a body shimmer oil, you should consider using a brush for your application. If you use your hands to apply a product like a shimmer oil or lotion, chances are the product will stick more to your hands than the body part you’re applying it to. A stippled makeup brush is perfect for picking up a product and applying it to different parts of your body without getting it on your hands.
If you’re using a shimmer powder on your body, the application will be slightly different from an oil or lotion.
• Go Nude: Shimmer powders are best applied before you get dressed. This will lessen the amount of transfer from your body to your clothing. Make sure your skin is completely dry before using any powder.
• Use the Right Brush: For powders applied to the body, a large, fluffy brush will be your best friend for a diffused, natural glow. One of my favorite affordable, large powder brushes is this one from EcoTools!
• Application: For the best application of shimmer powders on the body, you can follow the same path as you would with an oil or lotion product. Highlighting your collarbones and décolletage will bring light and attention to the area, which can be beneficial if you’re wearing a dramatically cut or off-the-shoulder top. You can also drag the shimmer lightly over the bust line.
• For the legs, use the same brush to lightly dust the shimmer powder down the front of your shins, starting just below the knee.
When it comes to chunkier body glitters, they can be a hassle in and of themselves, especially when it comes to application and getting them to stick around. It often gets a bad rap, but you can use it in a myriad of ways, from enhancing a costume to glamming up a special occasion or even for everyday wear if you’re feeling bold.
• Use a large paintbrush or a flat foundation brush to apply your glitter. This will help with the fallout and keep you from getting bits of glitter stuck to your hands for hours.
• Use a mixing medium of some sort to keep your glitter in place. Putting glitter on your bare skin isn’t going to keep it there, but it can help it stick if you apply it over another product. You can use hairspray, hair gel, petroleum-based products like Vaseline, or even hand sanitizer in a pinch!
• A Tip for Fun Designs: If you want to create a pattern with your body glitters, such as stars or hearts, cut out the shape in a disposable makeup sponge and dip the sponge in glitter, then stamp it on!
For the Face
When it comes to shimmer products for the face, most of the application process can be considered similar to the body, but you have to consider how it may affect your skin more seriously. Some people are very sensitive, particularly on their face, so always be aware of the ingredients of the products that you’re using.
Shimmer Oils or Drops
If you’re using a shimmer oil or drops, you have a few options.
• You can apply the drops underneath your foundation after moisturizing for a glowing base.
• You can also mix the drops directly with your foundation for a “lit from within” appearance.
• For a more glowy, natural look, try adding 1-2 drops directly to your moisturizer, skipping the foundation altogether.
Shimmer powders are incredibly versatile when wearing them on your face. Here are a few tips to enhance your glow when using a powder product.
• Highlight Your Best Angles: A shimmer powder for the face should be used similarly to one for the body. Use it to highlight your face’s angles that will catch the light, focusing on your cheekbones, jaw, and bridge of the nose.
• Finishing Touch: When applying shimmer powders to the face, lay them over the top of any other makeup in your routine. Since most shimmer powders are so light, you won’t be able to see them layered under other products. They should be your last step in your makeup routine before a setting spray.
• For an Extra Pop: For extra attention to your eye look, use a small, dense shadow brush to apply a shimmer powder to the brow bone, as well as the innermost corners of your eyes. Just be sure to avoid getting any product in your eye!
Applying glitter to the face can be challenging, especially when you think about all the tiny particles! It can be messy and difficult to handle, but here are a few tips and tricks.
• Mix It up: Like with body glitter, mixing any glitter with the proper medium can completely change the application. If you have a cosmetic-grade loose glitter you want to turn into a product for your face, you can mix it with products like a facial primer and apply it directly to the skin. You can also use specific mixing mediums, like this one from MAC. Remember to always use a cosmetic-grade glitter, like the NYX one featured on this list!
• A Sparkling Smile: If you have a loose cosmetic glitter and want to take glitter lips for a spin, you can apply a cream lipstick of your choice first before gently patting the glitter over the top of your lipstick. Just be careful not to lick your lips too much!
• Bold Brows: If you want to extend your glitter look to your brows, you can do that easily by grabbing a clean mascara wand, some hairspray, and your glitter. Pour a little hairspray into a bowl and mix in your glitter, creating a sort of gel. Use the wand to brush the gel through your eyebrows and disperse the glitter.
How to Remove Body Glitter
Removing body glitter is probably one of the top reasons why it gets such a bad reputation. You’ve heard horror stories of not being able to remove glitter, or finding it in different locations days, even weeks later! But if you use these methods, removing the body and face glitter will be much easier!
When it comes to your skin and hair, oils are some of the best products you can use to remove those pesky, sparkly flakes. For instance, if you’ve used glitter to accentuate your hairline, coat your fingers in an oil of your choice (olive, coconut, etc.) and give yourself a scalp massage to help loosen the glitter from the scalp. You can soak a cotton pad in the same oil for the body and swipe it over the glitter-covered areas to loosen it.
You can use scotch tape for more delicate pieces of glitter on the face that won’t lift. Wrap a piece of tape around your fingers, sticky side facing out, and blot at the areas to raise the sparkles from your skin.
Now, if you’ve found your clothes covered in glitter from your adventures, fear not! A new lint roller brush will help lift away the glitter from your clothes. If you don’t have a lint roller, a larger piece of duct tape used in the same way as the scotch tape method above will work just as well; it just might take you longer.
Photos via Instagram