This post may contain affiliate links.
Beautiful, moisturized lips are on everyone’s “want list” for obvious reasons, but what is the best way to achieve the perfect pout? Well, the tried and true moisturizing mask does wonders on other parts of skin, so naturally one specially formulated for the lips is the ideal choice, right? Whether you choose the DIY version or would rather pick up some that are ready-made and commercially tested, there are plenty of lip masks and lip gels to try.
Flaky lips are something that nearly everyone will inevitably deal with, and there are a lot of ways to treat them, but the best lip masks can treat and heal your lips faster with longer-lasting results. Some lip masks are even shaped like lips and are typically boasting that they are collagen lip masks for better results.
We’ll tackle whether or not collagen lip masks are better than others further into the article, but first, take a look at our picks for the 13 best lip masks and lip gels available on the market.
Guide to Collagen Lip Masks & Lip Gels to Treat Flaky Lip: Contents
- 13 Best Lip Masks & Lip Gels to Buy
- How Do Lip Masks & Lip Gels Work?
- The Benefits of Using Collagen Lip Masks
- How to Use Lip Masks
- 3 DIY Lip Masks That Work
Besides lip balms and lip scrubs, lip masks should be considered as vital lip care products if you want to get juicy, kissable lips that are well cared for. Picking any of these lip masks and lip gels, you are sure to have tangible results on your pout.
1. Clinique Pep-Start Pout Restoring Night Mask
Clinique’s overnight treatment lip mask imparts a ton of moisture while nourishing lips as you sleep. When you wake up, your lips will feel soft and moisturized. The results are ideal and the process painless – it works while you sleep so no worries about keeping it on, watching a timer and trying not to talk (no, snoring won’t mess with the effectiveness either!). Pick one up from Nordstrom.
2. Bite Beauty Agave Lip Mask
Bite Beauty’s brilliant product is a tinted lip mask that you apply when you go to bed and wear throughout the next day. The tint is perfect, never overpowering, and the lip mask imbues lips with ingredients designed to smooth and soothe the lips throughout the day. Thanks to the jojoba oil and agave nectar, the nourishing formula feels rich without a heavy, unpleasant texture. Pick your favorite shade at Sephora.
3. Sara Happ Sweet Clay Lip Mask
This lip mask spreads on like softened butter in a thick mask designed to thoroughly soothe and hydrate your lips. Not only will your lips feel softer and more hydrated, but also the inclusion of the Himalayan ingredient swertiamarin works to reduce wrinkles for a smoother pout. This clay lip mask is gentle but effective enough to be used more often and can show a difference whether you let it sit for a few minutes or twenty. Order yours at Nordstrom!
4. Laneige Lip Sleeping Mask
Laneige’s lip sleeping mask soothes and moisturizes dry lips and helps remove fine lines. The mask is a leave-on lip mask that fortunately goes on rather light and leaves your lips feeling smooth and soft in the morning. Hyaluronic acid is one of the active ingredients in this mask along with several berry extracts that give it a good taste and a heavenly smell. You can get yours at Sephora.
5. 111Skin Meso Infusion Lip Mask & Plumping Duo
Though the price may make your pout a bit, the effects of this lip mask are undeniable and nothing to sneer at. Like all the best lip masks, it is carefully formulated but uses mesotherapy – a treatment offered post procedure at Dr. Yannis’ Harley Street Clinic. The formula and the use of the plumper that is included create the silky soft pout that you really want. Order yours from Nordstrom!
6. Memebox Nooni Applebutter Lip Mask
This lip mask can be used during the day or overnight. If you prefer, you can wear it during the day as a richer lip balm or at night to alleviate the stress your lips endure throughout the day. The natural benefits (AHAs) found in apple water exfoliate lips, while mint extract refreshes them. Get yours at Ulta!
7. Kiehl’s Since 1851 Buttermask Lip Smoothing Treatment
Kiehl’s lip mask treats lips with a mixture of coconut oil and mango butter that replaces lost moisture overnight to create a smoother, softer, visibly healthier looking set of lips in the morning. As an overnight mask, it is expectedly rich and thick but still feels luxurious. You can get yours at Nordstrom.
8. Mamonde Lip Sleeping Mask
The Mamonde lip sleeping mask is known to lock in moisture with muru muru and shea butters and impart antioxidants with plum blossom extract. The results are radiant, extravagantly soft, moisturized and supple lips. The formula is vegan and excellent for all skin types. This lip mask is only available online at Ulta Beauty.
9. Patchology FlashPatch Lip Gels
These collagen lip gels are fun lip products that are infused with a lip treatment that soaks deeply into your lips to moisturize and soften them. These are an incredibly effective option for anyone who finds that their lips regularly dry out. The ingredients include green tea extract and peptides to soothe and improve your lips. Get your lip gel masks at Nordstrom!
10. Miss Spa Deep Wrinkle Hydrogel Lip Treatment
Miss Spa’s hydrogel lip treatments set for 45 minutes on the lips to treat and moisturize lips, filling in deep lip wrinkles. The ingredients include caviar extract for moisture and sodium hyaluronate. For lips with lower volume, this lip gel mask will do a lot to improve the fullness you can see and feel. Get yours exclusively at Ulta!
11. Starskin DreamKiss Bio-Cellulose Second Skin Lip Masks
Designed to plump and hydrate simultaneously, Starskin’s lip gels use bio-cellulose, which is a next generation sheet mask that is supposed to be the best way to transfer the nutrients and moisture from the mask to your lips. The mask only has to sit for 15 minutes before removal and creates a smooth, soft and significantly more moisturized base for your lipstick. Pick up yours at Bloomingdale’s!
12. KNC Beauty 5 Pack Lip Mask
KNC is the brand of lip masks that got everyone talking – they are shaped like an oversized pink pout and were designed to work as a smoothing lip primer prior to applying your favorite lipstick. They are especially effective for those of us who love a good matte lip makeup, which can be drying with excessive use. These lip masks include a blend of rose flower oil, vitamin E and cherry extract to help your lips be primed, pumped and perfect without any downtime or discomfort. Get yours at Revolve!
13. SUGU Korean Hydrating Gel Lip Masks
As with most of the fun gel lip masks, these products are shaped like a mouth and are designed to cling to the lips and intensely hydrate them even after the mask has been removed. This treatment gives quick, noticeable results for a great price considering there are 12 in each set. Available in six colors and three styles, you can order yours from Amazon.
Lip masks and lip gels work by infusing the lips with moisture through specially formulated treatments. Each ingredient in the treatment offers a benefit to your lips – so choosing the right lip mask is a matter of addressing the issues you are facing with your lips.
Some lip masks are designed to give you a plumper pucker, while others are designed to smooth lines. Nearly all lip masks are designed to provide deep moisture to your lips, and the great majority of these are gentle enough to use multiple times a week if not daily.
Gel lip masks take it a step further by putting the treatment into hydrogel masks that lay on your lips and lock in the heat in to help the ingredients penetrate further.
Lip masks have been popular in several Asian countries for years, especially that mecca of beauty and skin treatments: Korea. While it is not generally recommended to just order and go for safety reasons, if you are buying from a reputable brand that creates lip masks in sterile environments, you are likely to get good results.
Lip Masks and lip gels deeply hydrate your lips, which is really all most people need for their lips to be next level gorgeous and photo ready.
In many cases, lip masks that are worn overnight are some of the best, and gel lip masks are ideal as a lip prep. They smooth your lips out so well they act like an ideal primer.
When choosing your lip mask, pick one with oils and/ or vitamin E to help soften your lips, a humectant, which pulls in moisture, and if you looking for plumper lips – hyaluronic acid is the ingredient you want.
Collagen lip masks have a reputation for being better because we all know about collagen’s anti-wrinkle and filling effect. However, aestheticians have been pointing out that collagen applied topically won’t do what you think. The molecules are too large to be absorbed with the other ingredients, but people like the concept so many of these lip masks will include collagen.
The ingredients that create a deep and visible effect are usually the extracts and oils. People have also been mistakenly identifying the tingle they feel in the treatments as the effect of the included collagen, but they are incorrect. The tingle is coming from the other ingredients working together to infuse your lips.
So, what exactly are the benefits of using collagen lip masks?
• They are designed to moisturize much more deeply than any lip balm, so you can use both the treatments and your lip balm less often. Some can be applied every day, but most are weekly or twice a week.
• Ingredients like hyaluronic acid will help your lips look plumper and feel more moisturized. Because of the way the treatments work, you can maintain the look and feel longer.
• The included extracts (which vary by mask) can soften and soothe dry and flaky lips as well as moisturize them. There are enough combinations out there that you can find what you want from avocado extract to cherry extract.
• The results last all day and in some cases several days.
• It is best to get a collagen lip mask that is larger than lips to allow the skin around your mouth to be hydrated as well.
• They are fun to wear!
• There are plenty to try!
As you have seen, there are a great number of different lip masks in different formulas and application methods. While they all aim to do the same thing, they are applied and worn differently. There are two main types of lip masks if you think about it, and they work the same way that conditioner does for your hair.
Step 1: Use a gentle cleanser and exfoliator on your lips and make certain there is no lipstick or lip balm on them.
Step 2: Dry your lips thoroughly – all masks must be applied on clean, dry lips.
Step 3: Apply the lip mask.
• For the cream lip masks, spread it evenly on your lips and just a bit outside them, as the skin around your mouth can get dry as well.
• When applying a jelly lip mask, make certain to line the slit or hole in the center up to allow you to breathe, and choose a mask that is larger than your natural lips (be careful when you open the sachet so the liquid doesn’t spill out on you!)
Step 4: Remove the lip mask. Removal varies based on the type of mask you are using. The first type is the “leave-on” type of lip mask and the second is the “wipe off” type of lip mask. The leave-on type of mask generally includes the following:
• Overnight Masks: These you apply before bed and do not require being washed off. They treat the lips for dryness and flaking as you sleep, and you get to wake up with plumper, softer, more moisturized lips.
• Daily Lip Masks: These are usually applied like a thicker lip balm early in the day and they work like a deeply moisturizing primer.
• Jelly Lip Masks: These are not typically a daily option though they are great for prep for special occasion makeup. Gel and collagen lip masks are designed to fit over your lips and sit there while the treatment soaks in. They are technically supposed to seal in the heat from your lips as well as to help the treatment soak in. Once the timer goes off, you remove the jelly mask and rub or pat the rest of the treatment into your lips.
• “Wash Off” Lip Masks: These are usually clay or creamy lip masks. They go on pretty thick, and you let them sit for the given amount of time, typically about 20 to 45 minutes. You wash the mask off with a wet cloth or mild soap.
When going the DIY route and making your own lip mask, look for one that includes honey, preferably raw honey. Honey is a humectant. Here are a few of our favorite DIY lip mask recipes, how to use them and why you’ll love them!
DIY Raw Honey Lip Mask
The simplest homemade lip mask you can use is natural, raw honey. Spread it on your lips using a spoon or makeup spatula and put a small bit of plastic over the lips. Let it sit for 15 minutes, peel off the plastic and wash the honey off with warm water.
The honey will leave your lips feeling hydrated and super soft. If you find any remaining honey, use a facial cleanser to clean it off.
DIY Natural Plumping Lip Mask
This lip mask uses brown sugar to exfoliate your lips and get rid of any dead and flaky dry skin. Both sunflower and safflower oil have an omega 6-fatty acid known as linoleic acid that moisturizes lips and plumps them naturally. Honey is a humectant that draws in moisture, is antibacterial and nourishes lips.
• 1 tsp sunflower or safflower oil
• A pinch of brown sugar
• T tbsp raw honey
Mix the oil and honey together and apply on and around your lips. Put a small piece of plastic over your coated lips and leave on for 5 minutes. Wash the DIY lip mask off with warm water.
DIY Soothing and Exfoliating Lip Mask
This lip mask uses the vitamins in kiwis to boost the health of your lips, lightly exfoliate and soften your lips. Kiwis have 5 times as much vitamin C as an orange, as well as vitamins A, E and K. The Greek yogurt soothes, and the cane sugar exfoliates.
• 1 tsp. Greek yogurt
• ¼ tsp. cane sugar
• 1 slice of kiwi
Combine the sugar and yogurt. Mash in the kiwi slice evenly (not very chunky). Apply a thick layer to the lips and cover with a bit of plastic wrap. Let the mask sit on for 5 minutes. Rinse the mask off with warm water.
Photos via @greta_ag, @nandaquero, @bambidoesbeauty, @threadsnbreads