Whether you are a skilled MUA or a newbie, the creativity and ease of use you can achieve with the cream eyeshadow are excellent. As suggested, cream eyeshadows have a creamy formula that works alone or with a powder shadow layered on top. If you want to dip your hands into the cream eyeshadow world, we would like to help! Below we have included a collection of the best tips and actual cream eyeshadow singles and palettes to help you get started.
Your Guide to the Cream Eyeshadow: Contents
- 15 Best Cream Eyeshadows to Get Your Hands on
- Powder vs. Cream Eyeshadow
- How to Apply Cream Eyeshadow
- Tips for Wearing Cream Eyeshadow Like a Pro
From stick to paint pot cream eyeshadow options, here you have 15 of the best creamy formulas you can use to achieve a myriad of stunning eye makeup looks.
1. Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eye Shadow
Laura Mercier’s cream eyeshadow stick provides 22 different colors in three different finishes. The shimmer finish sparkles, while the metallic finish options shine. The matte finish options are velvety soft, and each of the three finish options in an array of colors applies smoothly and evenly. Order yours from Sephora!
2. MAC Cosmetics Pro Longwear Paint Pot
MAC’s cream eyeshadow paint pots come in 6 different soft colors that go on smooth and creamy and dry to intense yet soft color. The formula is designed to be so light that it works like a second skin when applied either with a soft or firm brush. Get yours from Nordstrom!
3. RMS Beauty Cream Eye Polish
The RMS Beauty cream eyeshadow formula includes jojoba oil, cocoa butter and beeswax to moisturize and nourish the delicate skin around the eyes. The glow this eye polish creates is due to the shimmering particles and natural ingredients. Get yours from Net-a-Porter today in any of the four lovely colors!
4. Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Cream Shadow Stick
Bobbi Brown offers a long-wear cream eyeshadow in the form of a stick for easy and precise application. With 13 different colors that have a shimmer finish and are water resistant, you can apply it quickly and easily with confidence. You can order one of these cream eyeshadow sticks from Sephora.
5. Chanel Ombre Première Longwear Cream Eyeshadow
The smooth creamy texture of Chanel’s cream eyeshadow works best when applied with the included rounded brush. The 11-color range includes soft pinks to deep blacks, and each has a smooth satin finish. You can get yours from Nordstrom.
6. Milk Makeup Eye Pigment
Each tube of Milk Makeup’s cream eyeshadows comes with a metallic finish and a bold color. Each tube holds a staggering 10ml and looks great on every shade and tone of skin. You can order a tube for yourself from Sephora in any of the seven versatile color options.
7. NYX Professional Makeup Foil Play Cream Eyeshadow
This cream eyeshadow from NYX has a soft texture that is similar to jelly. The shades are intense and beautifully pigmented to provide rich color and great sheen thanks to the metallic finish. The individual pots come in six very different colors. Order a few from Ulta!
8. Hourglass Scattered Light Glitter Eye Shadow
A brilliantly reflective glittering cream eyeshadow by Hourglass is available through Sephora in five amazing shades. This is the new way, arguably one of the best ways, to wear glitter eyeshadow. The finish is brilliant and sparkling, catching and reflecting light from all angles in five different opaque shades that when applied feel perfectly smooth. Pick yours up from Sephora!
9. Charlotte Tilbury Eyes to Mesmerise
Charlotte Tilbury’s Eyes to Mesmerise is one of the best cream eyeshadow singles with a water-infused formula that also boasts the inclusion of vitamin E. The formula is buildable and comes in five different colors designed to smooth out the area around eyes for a bright and youthful look. Order yours from Net-a-Porter!
10. Anastasia Beverly Hills Waterproof Crème Color
A deep, true black eyeshadow color with a matte finish is the perfect addition to your makeup bag. Anastasia Beverly Hills is the provider of the perfect waterproof black cream eyeshadow. The special formula provides lasting coverage, without creasing and transferring while you’re wearing it. Order one for yourself from Sephora!
11. Burberry Beauty Eye Color Cream
Burberry’s cream eyeshadow is crease-resistant but glides on with a super soft feel and provides an illuminating finish. This particular cream eyeshadow is layerable and comes with a brush for easy application and is available in three different colors. Order yours at Net-a-Porter!
12. Tom Ford Cream Color For Eyes
Tom Ford’s cream eyeshadow is formulated to provide a smooth application that lasts without smudging or creasing. Each of the 5ml pots holds a well-pigmented cream eyeshadow color with a metallic finish. There are in total 5 color options to choose from, so get on for yourself from Sephora!
13. Kjaer Weis Cream Eye Shadow
Kjaer Weis provides the best cream eyeshadow options that are designed to be long-lasting and deliver intense color. The formula is moisturizing with coconut and sunflower seed oil, which also enhances the creamy texture. You can order your choice of the 11 color options from Net-a-Porter.
14. Givenchy Ombre Couture Cream Eyeshadow
Givenchy’s high-end cream eyeshadow comes in individual pots of 10 colors and two different finishes. If you are looking for a shimmer or a matte finish cream eyeshadow, Givenchy has the options for you, and each is waterproof, creamy and long-lasting. Each pot can be ordered from Sephora and will last you a good while.
15. Touch In Sol Metallist High Shine Bouncy Cream Shadow Palette
Touch In Sol offers a cream eyeshadow palette that features soft, shimmery metallics. The palette has a half dozen shades and a flip top that closes securely to keep your cream shadows unaltered. The formula is a jelly-like consistency that melts perfectly into skin with a shiny finish. Order yours or pick one up from Sephora!
As implied by the name, cream eyeshadow is a smooth, rich and creamy version of eyeshadow that smoothly blends into skin when applied. It works both as a standalone eyeshadow or as a boost for powder shadow in a combined and intense look.
What does this mean? It means that cream eyeshadow is the smoothly applied dream version of traditional powder eyeshadow. It goes on soft and smooth and blends with less effort. Frankly it is pretty, varies in intensity, is easily and quickly applied and doesn’t present us with the woe of dreaded fallout during wear.
Cream eyeshadow isn’t perfect, but it has its uses and is a dream product to have. So, what are the pros and cons of the cream eyeshadow as compared to the powder formula?
Pros of Cream Eyeshadow vs. Powder
Anyone can wear cream eyeshadow, but cream shadow is formulated to work especially well with naturally dry or aging skin. You won’t have to pull it across your skin, it glides on beautifully, but if your skin is naturally oily or you are prone to sweating, you are far less likely to wear cream eyeshadow successfully without a good eye primer.
Either way, you don’t need to apply much to create your intended look, which means you are using less product, less time and ensuring less mess when you use a cream shadow versus a powder shadow.
Cream eyeshadows are good for soft looks, especially when you are short on time. If you want a buildable, layered look, then traditionally you would want a powder eyeshadow, but you can get the same effect by applying powder shadow over cream shadow as well.
With cream eyeshadow your eyes will feel soft and hydrated with a good glow. Unlike powder, cream eyeshadow gives a more youthful appearance, as it doesn’t sit in and exacerbate fine line and wrinkles. It’s a great option for beginners and professional MUAs.
Cons of Cream Eyeshadow vs. Powder
• Blending cream eyeshadows is possible, but it can be difficult.
• Most of the finishes are satin or sheer, thus the soft look, but if you want a matte look, you should apply powder shadow on top or choose a specially formulated wet to dry eyeshadow.
• Cream eyeshadow also lacks the staying power and buildability of powder eyeshadow.
• In addition, cream eyeshadow is available in a limited color range, unlike its powder counterpart, which is more common in the makeup world.
Application methods for eyeshadows vary for obvious reasons – you should consider the style and look you are going for, your personal preference and of course, the type of eyeshadow you use. When using a cream eyeshadow there are several things to keep in mind.
Fortunately for you, we have collected them all and posted them below for a quick and ultimately helpful cheat sheet to applying your cream eyeshadow. Follow the steps below for a long-lasting and beautiful look.
Step 1: Apply a Primer
There are several reasons to apply eye primer before you put on your cream eyeshadow. Using a primer will help prevent creasing, give your color a boost (depending on the primer you use) and make your eye look last longer.
A primer will also provide a barrier between your skin and the makeup, preventing any natural oils from your skin from causing your makeup to degrade and fade faster. It’s a quick step that will greatly improve the life of your eye makeup.
Step 2: Apply Your Cream Eyeshadow
You’ll find that using a synthetic brush to apply your cream eyeshadow is more ideal for several reasons. First, putting your fingers directly into cream eyeshadow really isn’t hygienic and can affect the integrity of your product over time.
Second, when you’re blending with a synthetic brush instead of your fingers the process is softer and gentler to the delicate skin around your eyes. Third, using a synthetic brush means that your product won’t be absorbed like it would if you used a natural bristle brush. It will also make application smoother for the same reason.
Lastly, when you use your fingers you risk “over-blending” and then you will have to apply more of your cream eyeshadow in order to fix it, which takes extra time and wastes product.
Step 3: Blend
You can blend several shades of cream eyeshadow for a multidimensional look that really glows. If you want to, applying powder shadow over the cream eyeshadow allows for a good blend as well as a bit more staying power.
Step 4: Finish with Translucent Powder
Even if you use a combination of cream and powder eyeshadows, a touch of translucent powder can help seal your look in. If you created your look using only cream eyeshadow, using a translucent powder is your best bet as a final step to increase the life of your eye makeup look.
Let’s recap the cream eyeshadow tips we went over first, just to “seal” the information in, and also check out new ones for wearing this formula crease-free!
• Use a good eyeshadow primer to prevent creasing and extend wear. • Don’t apply your cream eyeshadow with your fingertips. Why? Because the oils from your fingertips can degrade the quality and creaminess of your eyeshadow.
• Blend your cream eyeshadow for a multidimensional or prismatic look. Cream eyeshadow can blend more smoothly and easily.
• As a final touch, sweep some translucent powder on top to make your eye makeup last as long as possible.
• Create a dramatic look by using your cream eyeshadow as an eyeliner. Sure, it takes a practiced hand, but you’ll love it! This will give you a nearly unlimited range of color and finish options.
• Additionally, if you have small eyes or don’t like the harshness and precision of typical eyeliner, especially liquid eyeliner, you can also enjoy a softer lined look using cream shadow.
• Add a similarly colored powder shadow on top of your cream eyeshadow for a more dramatic show of color. It may seem redundant, but the color will be visibly brighter this way and much less likely to budge.
• Don’t wear even the best cream eyeshadow out in the hottest summer heat. Even with a good primer, you are likely to sweat it off.
• Only apply your cream and powder eyeshadow in reverse. It is always cream eyeshadow first, then powder.
Photos via @makeupsessions, @anastasiawater, @thesaraengel, @janellecwalker, @beautsoup