This post may contain affiliate links.
Hair is one of a woman’s most precious assets, and it is essential that you take proper care of it. But with so many beauty products on the market, try-outs can leave your scalp dry, dirty and itchy. You might also not have time to visit your stylist for a proper scalp scrub, so we bring this guide to scalp exfoliation for you to get rid of dirt and leave your scalp healthier.
Exfoliating Scalp Scrubs: Contents
- 11 Best Exfoliating Scalp Scrubs for Healthier Hair
- What Is Scalp Exfoliation?
- Scalp Exfoliation Benefits
- How to Exfoliate Your Scalp at Home?
- DIY Scalp Scrubs for Removing Dandruff & Build-up
So many hair care brands manufacture exfoliating scalp scrubs, and it can be quite challenging to get the best one for your hair type. However, you won’t need to worry about that, since we present the best exfoliating scalp scrubs that are top of the line. Just choose one, and you are good to go!
1. Christophe Robin Cleansing Purifying Scrub with Sea Salt
Suitable for all hair types, this scalp scrub has all the essential ingredients to cleanse and soothe your scalp. With a detoxifying agent like sea salt and plant-derived agent, it helps to rebalance excess oil and treat any scalp concern. It is a combination of purifying, moisturizing and soothing formula all in one jar. You can also use it to remove any build-up of styling products like hair gel, pomade, or hair wax. Pick it up at Sephora!
2. R+Co Crown Scalp Scrub Treatment
Your scalp needs to be healthy for beautiful hair that gleams with a shiny luster. And this formula has active ingredients designed to detox and absorb excess oil from your hair. Kaolin, salicylic acid, and Ecuadorian ivory palm seed powder are infused into this scalp scrub to reduce dirt build-up and exfoliate your scalp gently. It also has fragrance notes to leave your hair with a sweet scent that lasts. You can get a bottle at Net-a-Porter.
3. Ouai Scalp & Body Scrub
Described as a deep cleansing formula, this is one scalp scrub that works for all hair types. It contains sugar crystals to help exfoliate your scalp and balance bacteria level. There is also the presence of coconut oil to nourish and add enough moisture to make your mane as healthy as you desire. Phthalates, sulfates, and parabens are not present in the mix, so you don’t need to worry about any harmful effect. It also acts as a body scrub, so pick up one at Sephora!
4. Not Your Mother’s Activated Bamboo Charcoal & Purple Moonstone Restore & Reclaim Scalp Scrub
Not Your Mother’s have always been popular for making hair care products that are the perfect choice for anyone. This exfoliating scalp scrub has all that you need to cleanse your scalp and absorb impurities for balancing your hair pH. Natural jojoba wax beads are also present in the mix, along with 98% natural ingredients. You can get a jar from Ulta Beauty.
5. IGK Low Key Cleansing Walnut Scalp Scrub
What we have here is a scalp scrub that comes with gentle exfoliators for a deep, clarifying clean. Ingredients like apple cider vinegar, walnut oil, and sugar come to soothe the sensitive or overworked scalp. You can use the formula to remove product build-ups and add shine to your hair strands. This scalp exfoliator works for all hair types, so you don’t need to be choosy. Grab it at Sephora!
6. Goop G.Tox Himalayan Salt Scalp Scrub
Made with Himalayan pink salt, Goop built this scrubbing formula to help purify and nourish your hair all in one wash. The addition of unfiltered rosehip oil and moringa oil boosts the cleansing power of the scalp scrub. To make it even better, subtle scent notes have been infused into it to make your hair smell better after each scrubbing session. Order a jar at Nordstrom!
7. dpHUE Apple Cider Vinegar Scalp Scrub
Here is a natural scalp exfoliant that is expertly formulated to remove dead skin cells and make your scalp healthy. It has ingredients to help unclog your scalp pores. With avocado oil and aloe vera, the scalp scrub works to soothe and calm your hair locks making your mane look gorgeous and shiny. The product is ozone-friendly, vegan and contains no gluten. You can order this excellent scalp scrub at Sephora.
8. Le Labo Scrub Shampoo
This is a cleansing plant-based formula that contains black salt and nourishing oils to help stimulate and strengthen your hair. This scrub shampoo also pairs basil with verbena to make your hair smell nice without causing any harmful effect. Finally, it boasts a cooling menthol effect to make your scalp feel clean and energized. Get this scalp scrub at Nordstrom!
9. Drybar On the Rocks Charcoal Scalp Scrub
From the best of Drybar, this scalp scrub is a cleansing agent that supports natural cell renewal and helps to detoxify the hair. The formula contains activated charcoal, sugar with lemon and orange extract to remove oiliness and any impurity. It is effective for any hair type and can also be used for chemical or keratin treated hair. For healthier and stronger hair strands, get a bottle at Sephora.
10. L’Oreal EverFresh Micro-Exfoliating Scrub
After using shampoos or some hair-beautifying products, it is important to exfoliate your scalp. And we recommend that you get this scalp scrub from L’Oreal. The product contains apricot seeds to remove excess oils and impurities. It is also gentle enough to remove any flaky build-up without damaging your hair cuticles. This is the best scalp scrub that’s also very affordable, so get a jar at Ulta Beauty!
11. Julien Farel Haircare Detox Scalp Scrub
Nobody wants flaky build-up that eventually leads to itching scalp and damaged hair. That is why you need to get this exfoliating scalp scrub. It contains great ingredients like hyaluronic acid, microcrystals with A2B anti-aging balance technology to hydrate and nourish your hair and scalp. The product also revitalizes and maintains the optimal function of your hair. Find it for sale at Dermstore!
Have you ever seen all those clumps of skin on your body that peels off? That is your body trying to get rid of dead skin cells and replace them with new ones. Well, the same process takes place on your scalp, which can lead to building up of dirt and clogged hair follicles. To help make the process faster and get rid of the build-up of dirt from your scalp, you can use a scalp scrub to exfoliate it deeply.
Scalp exfoliation is a hair care procedure wherein you use natural or chemical exfoliants to remove dirt, dead cells, dandruff and excess oil from the hair and scalp. Scalp exfoliation also balances your scalp pH and keeps your mane shiny and healthy from root to tip.
There are numerous benefits attached to using scalp exfoliants, and we have listed some of them in this section.
• Using scalp scrubs removes build-up of styling products. Frequent use of hair styling products can clog your hair follicles, and ordinary shampoos might not be enough to make your scalp squeaky clean. However, scalp exfoliating scrub helps remove any build-up from hair styling products.
• You get clean and shiny mane. Clogged pores in your hair follicle can cause your hair to look dull and lifeless. But with a scalp scrub, the cleansing action is deep enough to get your strands looking alive and shiny.
• Scalp exfoliation is perfect for healthy hair. Exfoliating your hair scalp allows your cell turnover to increase. This would let you have healthy scalp at all times, and just like the way face products work to make your face smoother, this also makes your scalp healthier. Dandruff, dry scalp, dry skin, and oily hair can all be avoided.
You always remember to scrub your feet, your face and body with exfoliants, and you even go to the spa to get a better exfoliating experience. But you might not remember to do the same for the skin under all that hair on your head. Healthy hair starts at the roots and just like you scrub your face to remove dirt and oil, you need to do the same to your scalp.
With a bottle of the best exfoliating scalp scrub you pick, you can get a nice, shiny and healthy scalp right in your comfort zone. We have listed the right steps for you, so you won’t need to be visiting your stylist anytime soon.
• Get the right exfoliating scalp scrub for the procedure. We recommend that you choose one of the products that we have listed for you in the first section of this article or if you prefer DIY scalp scrubs, then skip to the last section and check them out.
• You should also cleanse your hair of any styling product.
• Before beginning the process, you can use a teasing brush to scrub your scalp gently to make the dead cells or build-up loose before the actual process.
• Use warm water to wet your hair, as hot water might dry out your skin harshly.
• Gently massage the exfoliating scalp scrub into your hair roots and make sure it is evenly spread from root to tip.
• Leave it in for about 5-10 minutes, and then rinse out with cool water. Hot water might dry out your hair and wash out nourishing oils.
• After rinsing out the scalp scrub, you can use a shampoo and conditioner to finish off the process.
Hair exfoliating scrub should be used once a week if it is the leave-in type, while those that already have oily scalp should apply it twice a week. Using it more than what is recommended can lead to flakier build-up and itchiness. Also, make sure that you read the instructions on the bottle of the scalp scrub before using it.
Scalp scrub ingredients can be right there in your kitchen, and you just need to know a few steps to allow you to make one for yourself. The steps are pretty straightforward, and to make it easy, we have listed various ingredients that you can put together to make the best DIY scalp scrub for your hair.
Apple Vinegar, Salt & Honey Scalp Scrub
The ingredients combined in this scalp scrub are hydrating, nourishing, and will help you get a healthy scalp. It has apple cider vinegar to kill off fungus and restore the pH level of your hair. Coconut oil and honey are added to add the required nutrients to your hair.
• A quarter cup of Himalayan pink salt (or coarse sea salt)
• 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
• 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
• 1 teaspoon of honey
• 5 drops of peppermint or tea tree oil
• Get a bowl and combine the ingredients, making sure you stir it all well.
• Add a tablespoon of your DIY scalp scrub to your hair and leave it in for 5-10 minutes.
• Rinse with warm water and then use a shampoo and conditioner to finish off the process.
Brown Sugar & Oatmeal Scalp Scrub
Combining brown sugar with oatmeal gives you a formula that exfoliates your scalp gently and increases circulation for healthy hair follicles. The ingredients are pretty easy to get, and the steps to create them are not complicated either.
• 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
• 2 tablespoons of finely ground oatmeal
• 2 tablespoons of hair conditioner
• Mix the ingredients together in a bowl.
• Use shampoo to wash off any hair first, and then apply a small amount of the mixture on your palm.
• Massage your DIY scalp scrub into your hair using a circular motion and then rinse thoroughly.
Cleansing Olive Oil Salt Scrub
If you have dandruff or dry flakes and want to get rid of them, then this is the best DIY scalp scrub for you. The ingredients both infuse your hair with much needed nutrients responsible for providing moisture and protecting your strands against damage.
• 2 tablespoons of sea salt
• 1-2 tablespoons of lemon juice
• 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
• Get a bowl and mix the ingredients together until you get an even texture.
• Wet your hair and massage the scalp scrub into your hair roots.
• Leave in for several minutes and rinse thoroughly.
• Use shampoo to wash it off.
Exfoliating your scalp is essential for healthy hair growth, and you can get the best product to use from this article. Either the DIYs or the best scalp scrubs we recommend would do the perfect job for you, so go ahead, pick one and enjoy a stress-relieving process that leaves a lasting effect.
Photos via @styled_by_carolynn, @thecounterchronicles, @ironnsalt