Beauty products are there to help you recreate yourself and perfect the stunning look that enables you to stand out from the crowd. An excellent example of such products is false eyelashes. If you are a fan of curly and long eyelashes and don’t know how to achieve the look easily, let’s explore the world of beautiful fake eyelashes, discovering how to apply false eyelashes, how to remove them safely, as well as the best false eyelashes perfect for your eyelids.
Your Ultimate Guide to the Best False Eyelashes: Contents
- 13 Best False Eyelashes to Buy
- A Little History of False Eyelashes
- Types of False Eyelashes
- Differences Between False Eyelashes and Eyelash Extensions
- What Are False Eyelashes Made of?
- How to Choose Fake Eyelashes
- How to Apply False Eyelashes
- How to Remove False Eyelashes
- How to Care for Your Fake Eyelashes
- Fake Eyelash Hacks & Makeup Tips
When it comes to false eyelashes (also called fake eyelashes, faux lashes, and strip lashes), you want to be careful choosing a pair. Not all of them have what it takes to give your eyes that lovely look and accentuate your facial beauty. If you desire to get that stunning look that comes with using exceptional fake eyelashes, here are 13 products you should certainly try out.
1. Huda Beauty Classic False Lashes
This is a set of classic and durable false lashes that you can use to finish off just any type of makeup. They come in sets just for you to get that dynamic look out of them. Form Giselle to Lana, the synthetic and mellow fiber they are made of has no cruelty ingredient and you need no extra effort to glow when you put them on. Some of the best false eyelashes on the market, these lovelies are available in seven styles at Sephora.
2. Make Up For Ever Lash Show False Lashes
False eyelashes that give a dramatic sensation are a rarity but when you find them and use them rightly, you get a beautiful effect. Handmade with the highest quality of fiber, these fake eyelashes transform your face and give your lashes more volume instantly.
Thanks to the latex-free glue they come with (which makes them re-usable), there is also no need to be afraid of the lashes sticking or not. That means you can just pick them up whenever you want, create a superb look and remove them when you are through. Make Up For Ever offers these false eyelashes in 50 styles at Sephora to match your unique personality!
3. Lilly Lashes Luxury Goddess Mink Lash
If you want to get the perfect baby-doll look but do not want to be entirely artificial about it, these are the best false eyelashes for you. They create a perfect look that you can apply to about any type of outing. Just pick a pair of scissors and trim them to whatever length you want. With proper care, you can keep these falsies in use for up to 15 times. Pick them up now at Nordstrom!
4. Sephora Collection Luxe False Lash
With a great collection of false eyelashes for your enjoyment, Sephora has some of the best strip lashes for you. The real and fluffy textures of the falsies allow you to get the natural effect, which is still awesome and full in length. They are also comfortable and are made of high-quality fiber for easy application. To help you create a dynamic yet awe-striking look, the collection features six styles at Sephora.
5. MAC Cosmetics MAC 36 Lash
Have you ever seen fake eyelashes that have beautiful angles at their corners? Well, look no further, as this is one of those types of false lashes. They create extra drama for your eyes with lashes that are made to exact specifications. No matter if you want a natural or dramatic look, these false eyelashes by MAC Cosmetics are ready to turn your eyes into a pinnacle of beauty. Get them from Nordstrom!
6. Tarte Tarteist Pro Cruelty-Free Lashes
Vegan false eyelashes still dazzle and they are perfect for your eyes. Available in nine styles, these ones add flawlessness and such fullness to your lashes that it is almost irresistible to stare at them. They are made of soft cotton (so your eyes are not burdened by their use) and have been tested by both ophthalmologists and dermatologists. When you want the best false eyelashes that blend smoothly with your own lashes, choose these options from Sephora!
7. Velour Lashes Effortless – No Trim – Natural Lash Collection
‘Easy does it’ is the theme behind any lash collection by Velour Lashes. This collection comes with an ultra-natural look that needs little or no adjustment before you can put them on. These false eyelashes have an invisible band and do not need eyeliner for them to look great. You could quickly achieve that all-natural look choosing any of the five styles available at Sephora. Proper care and treatment ensure you use them up to 20 times before they get worn out.
8. Trish McEvoy ‘Instant Pick-Me-Up’ False Lashes
Made from natural hair, you get easy-to-apply false eyelashes with all the perks of natural lashes. They add realistic length and push out the volume for a better look. With these strip lashes, there is no need to stress too much as they also have clear bands that disappear as soon as you apply them. Pick a pair for you now from Nordstrom!
9. PÜR PRO Eyelashes – Bombshell
With absolutely fantastic reviews, there is no doubt these false eyelashes give a bombshell effect when applied to the eyes. They are handcrafted from cruelty-free silk for lightweight and fuller lashes that also look natural. They are safe for people using contact lenses and can be used up to 30 times. Curated with well-known makeup artist Mélanie Viger, these false eyelashes are available for purchase at Ulta.
10. Blinking Beauté Premier Silk Lash Collection
Proudly manufactured by Blinking Beauté, this collection of luxurious silk false eyelashes comes with a featherweight feel and soft natural look – two quality elements combined to make these four styles of falsies. This collection has a range of fake eyelashes that can adorn your eyes with synthetic and cruelty-free designs. You can use the lashes several times and get that chic, elegant look without stress. Pick up your favorite style from Sephora!
11. Urban Decay Urban Lashes Zing
There is no better way of taking your eyelashes to the next level than using these strip lashes. They have a sexy look that you can whip up in seconds. And for natural styles and eye-opening effects, these are the best false eyelashes for you. They are made with cruelty-free synthetic hair, and you can find one for every event or situation at Nordstrom.
12. Black Up Eyelashes & Glue
With six varying styles depending on the length and thickness of lashes you desire, the Black Up collection is a fancy work of art. It contains a pair of fake eyelashes (which you can reuse 20 or more times) and lash glue. These items are formulated with safe chemicals – phthalates, sulfates, and parabens have been carefully neglected to deliver a pseudo-natural look. They are all available for sale at Sephora.
13. Kevyn Aucoin The Lash Collection – The Starlet
Some brands stand out when it comes to the creation of the best false eyelashes, one of them being Kevyn Aucoin. The brand delivers gorgeous eyelashes with bands that make them easy to wear. They also work well with any makeup style. Bold and eye-catching appearance is easily obtainable when you use any of the lashes in this collection available online at Amazon.
Fake eyelashes, as we know them, have not always been easy to wear. In fact, you can say they had quite a long history, with many women struggling to be acclaimed as being chaste for having long eyelashes.
Well, it all started in ancient Rome when philosopher Pliny the Elder claimed that eyelashes were a symbol of purity, and they fell out with excessive sex. The majority of women in that period started using needles to sow in human hair, while the less brave ones used glue. Of course, just as any smart person would predict, they all fell out after a while.
Moving on, there wasn’t much of an event with fake eyelashes until the 20th century when Hollywood brought the trend into the limelight. Anna Taylor, an innovative female Canadian, was the first to get a patent on it.
Meanwhile, its inventive source of fame can be linked to actress Seena Owen who used faux lashes in the 1916 film Intolerance directed by D. W. Griffith. Even though there were advert effects on her eyes, false eyelashes had already created an impression in the mind of the public.
With 20th-century technology emerging in the fashion industry, false eyelashes came on and off for quite a while before they finally burst into the fashion world with a bold statement from a young model named Twiggy. The popularity and acceptance level grew thanks to the new false lashes that were being made out of durable and thin plastic materials already in the 1950s instead of human hair.
From then on, celebrities (such as Madonna) and models (such as Penelope Tress and Jean Shrimpton) have been seen via various media rocking this excellent fashion piece with sophisticated style.
Fake eyelashes are now widely accepted. In fact, you can hardly find celebrities on the red carpet or models on the cover page of magazines without fancy false eyelashes. Variety makes them more endearing and new innovations seem to be on their way.
There are various types of fake eyelashes on the market, and it can be difficult to distinguish them. In this section, we have compiled the various types of false eyelashes that can meet your need no matter who you are.
Strip lashes are quite popular because they are the most comfortable lash extensions to apply. They come in different styles, and their price ranges from $5 to $25. All you need to do is look for a good lash adhesive, apply it to the band and allow it to dry. Then grip the band using a pair of tweezers and stick them above your lash line.
You might need a bit of practice before perfecting the steps of applying false eyelashes but that should take little time. With false eyelashes having a tremendous amount of success amongst diverse users, there are various types of strip lashes you can choose from.
• Mink Lashes: False eyelashes made of mink hair are known to be soft and fluffy with a beautiful, delicate and natural-looking appearance. They give you a fuller and wispier finish when compared to other false eyelashes. The quality is premium, and you have to take extra care when handling them, as they provide that luxuriously perfect and unbeatable blend.
• 3D Lashes: They give you a bold, dimensional and natural look that is perfect for your eyes. 3D false eyelashes are usually made from different materials and are available from top-selling brands. You can use them to add density and enhance your eyes for different effects. What is quite remarkable about them is the expert design of double-layered aesthetics they possess.
• Synthetic Lashes: These fake eyelashes are made of synthetic materials like faux mink or faux silk that are perfect for lash enhancement. You can use them to complete your look when you are wearing heavy makeup. They can also increase the definition of your lash line and offer you a shiny, shimmering finish.
• Silk Lashes: Much similar to mink lashes, silk eyelashes are quite natural-looking and lightweight with a shiny texture. Such fake eyelashes look realistic without being overly fluffy and full like the mink lashes.
• Human Hair Lashes: If you love to go all-natural, then you can choose false eyelashes processed from human hair. They are fine, flexible, lightweight, easy to apply, comfortable to wear, generously affordable, and all-round perfect.
Like the name already suggests, magnetic eyelashes are false eyelashes on magnets – the innovation of the new beauty world. You adhere them to your natural lash line with invisible tiny magnets that come along the lash line instead of using the classic lash glue.
They come in different styles as well to create natural-looking fuller lashes. While magnetic eyelashes do cost slightly more – somewhere between $10-100 a set – they are more comfortable and safer, since you easily apply them and remove without harming your natural lashes.
Eyelash extensions are on the high side if you are on a budget. Those are individual strands of lashes attached next to your natural lashes to create a natural, yet full look. Yet, they are definitely worthy of the price tag. You need not worry about removing and reinstalling the lashes every time. They can also be installed with your desired effect.
So, be it the all-natural look or the baby-doll look, you can have whatever you ask for. Furthermore, each extension is fixed in studios, and with their increasing popularity these days, you can find them just about anywhere.
False eyelashes are quite significant for everyday looks since you can change them anytime you want. Lash extensions, on the other hand, require quite a bit of work when you want to replace them. Other differences that exist between these two include…
• When it comes to fixing the eyelashes, false lashes can be applied by yourself. All you need is a bit of lash glue; after a few practices, you would be able to do it correctly. Eyelash extensions, however, need more time and caution, as the existing lashes are being put one after the other. Hence, employing the service of a professional is recommended, and the whole process takes between 1 and 2 hours.
• Eyelash extensions cost more. They are billed at any figure above $100. And when you pile up the maintenance fee, they can cost as high as $500. In contrast, false eyelashes are priced at $30 or less. What’s more, you can use one up to 15 times if properly maintained.
• If misused, fake eyelashes are unsafe for the eye and not totally safe even if used properly. You cannot sleep wearing them, since they can cause eye infections. When it comes to lash extensions, you would only need to worry about touching up regularly.
• When you consider maintenance, lash extensions need more of it. For one, you have to stay away from certain products such as oil cleansers and mascara. False eyelashes are easy and natural to remove. As long as you do not rub your eyes, you will be all right.
• If you prefer to be able to transfer your eyelashes after going out and keeping them for another day use, you should opt for false eyelashes. This is because they are easy to wear and remove. Eyelash extensions are usually attached using stronger glue so you might not be able to remove them that easily. However, you can use steam or coconut oil to dissolve the glue. But even at that, you still have to go through a messy stage just to get them out.
• Unfortunately, eyelash extensions appear to be more natural and authentic than false eyelashes. This is because they are made of quality materials that are better than those in false eyelashes. Lash extensions also tend to be lighter and neater.
False eyelashes are made of different materials, ranging from mink and horsehair to human hair and even synthetic materials. As expected, there are pros and cons to each material.
• Synthetic Materials: Strip lashes made of synthetic materials (faux mink or faux silk lashes) are durable. Since they are neither acquired from human or animal hair, synthetic lashes are also cheaper but look all shiny with their plastic feel. In fact, some of them are so thick that it can be impossible to hide the fact that you are wearing fake eyelashes.
• Mink and Sable: These are the materials of choice for most celebrities. They are fake eyelashes that adorn the eyelids of celebrities on the red carpet of award ceremonies and charity events. The materials are famous for their light and natural qualities.
Yet, mink and sable lashes are not for you if you are on a budget. They don’t even sit well with those that care about the welfare of animals. And before you choose any sable or mink eyelashes, you have to be careful, as there are fakes in the market (ironic, huh?).
• Human Hair: Fake eyelashes made of human hair are realistic-looking and super lightweight, yet slightly thicker than mink eyelashes. They are quite popular options of false eyelashes, also affordable, making them an excellent alternative to synthetic lashes.
• Silk: Silk false eyelashes can feel just as real as real gets. They are lightweight and made of synthetic polymers. There is consistency in the way the strands are arranged, and they improve the volume of your lashes while making you feel all glamorous. No matter the type of makeup you use, you can use silk eyelashes to create a perfect finish for your face.
A great set of false lashes can make the difference for your eyes. So if you are looking for the perfect fake eyelashes that suit your everyday need and personality or just want a set to look perfect for your eye shape, then here are some tips to help you pick the best false eyelashes.
Select a Type Based on the Occasion
There are several types of false eyelashes, but some of them are great for specific occasions. For example, natural false lashes are quite good for a daytime outing like casual meetings and events. You can also choose to use long and short lashes to create a beautiful yet natural effect.
Know Your Eye Shape
Different false eyelashes are suitable for different eye shapes, so you have to know the category that your eye falls under. This will help you make a better decision when it comes to choosing a false lash.
• Deep-Set Eyes: Use false eyelashes that are lightweight, but also look long and dramatic, as you don’t want to take away your look.
• Round Eyes: Choose winged and wispy lashes that look flirty and are a bit longer at the end. They make your eyes look catchy and cat-like.
• Monolids: Pick a pair of less dense and slightly fluffy fake eyelashes to help you create a playful look that still looks natural.
• Hooded Eyes: Eyelashes that are longer at the center are the best for you if you have hooded eyes. Also, make sure that they taper at the ends for that balanced effect.
• Almond Eyes: These are the lucky ones, since you can choose just any type of false eyelashes. But make sure the set you pick works for the outing.
Applying fake eyelashes can be a breeze if you know how to do it; you can actually finish the work in minutes. It can, however, follow the wrong path if you are not familiar with the application process. Now, let us look at the steps you should tread on the heels of when applying false lashes.
• Hold the false eyelashes close to your natural eyelashes and check if they are of a matching size. If they are too long, you can trim them. If too short, you need longer ones.
• Take the eyelash glue and carefully apply it to the outer seam of the eyelash strip with the help of a small brush. Do not put a glob on it, as this will run into the strands and damage the whole process.
• Place the strip on your eyelid as close to your natural lash line as possible and look down into the mirror as you apply it. You can now wait for the glue to dry before the next step.
• Apply mascara to help you camouflage the band of the false eyelashes and make them appear natural. And that’s all there is to it.
After using your false eyelashes to dazzle and stun the events, there comes the time when you want to remove them and store them for another day… or just dispose of them. There are numerous ways of removing false eyelashes but let’s look at the three most popular methods.
This is one item that does not come with your false eyelashes. Yet, it is for sale in just about every beauty department in the local stores around you. You can check online as well. Just get a bottle that suits your skin type, and apply the following direction.
• Look at your lashes in the mirror, preferably in a well-lit place. Remove any makeup that might obstruct the process.
• Take a cotton swab and gently apply the glue remover until it is damp enough. Close one eye and gently rub it from one end of your lash line to the other.
• After the remover has dissolved the glue, pull out the false eyelashes gently to avoid pulling your own natural lashes with them.
• Then swab your lash line again with the remover to take off any remaining glue.
Do note that this is not suitable removal method if you want to reuse the false eyelashes some other time.
• Get a usable amount of coconut oil, sweet almond oil, extra virgin olive oil, or any suitable carrier oil.
• Splash your eyelids with a bit of warm water and do not worry about removing any makeup. Just rub your preferred oil along your eyelids, and everything (both glue and mascara) will dissolve.
• Using your fingertips or a pair of tweezers, remove the false eyelashes starting from the inner corner and proceeding slowly to the outer edge.
• Dab fresh oil on your eyelid to remove all leftover particles; use cleanser and water to remove any leftover makeup.
Removing Fake Eyelashes with Makeup Remover
This is the best method of taking off your fake eyelashes if you don’t want to get the glue remover and don’t have any carrier oil at hand. If you want to reuse your falsies later on, make sure you use an oil-free makeup remover. Also do note that some makeup removers aren’t suitable for dissolving the lash glue, so you need to get one that is labeled for this too.
• Apply the makeup remover on a cotton pad and gently remove your eye makeup, not touching the mascara yet.
• Get another cotton pad and fully saturate it with the eye makeup remover. Gently rub it on your lash line close to where the lash glue is applied, going back and forth to take off the glue. Repeat this action until the glue has been dissolved.
• Now, you can take off your false eyelashes with your fingers or a pair of tweezers slightly pulling from one end.
• Wash your face with your favorite cleanser.
To reuse your false eyelashes and enjoy their beautiful look later on, make sure you clean them properly and store.
• Whenever you are done with your strip lashes for the day, take them off before going to bed.
• Keep them aside after removing them and wash your hands to avoid infecting them with bacteria.
• After using the oil or glue removal process, swab a cotton ball along the length of the fake lashes to get rid of the remaining lash glue and dirt. Use tweezers to remove all leftover adhesive.
• Put a bit of alcohol on your cotton ball and wipe the lash strip. This helps remove any remaining glue and also disinfects the strip lash.
• Store your false eyelashes somewhere out of direct sunlight, preferably in a dark place inside the box they came in. But before storing them away, leave them to dry out completely. This will prevent bacteria from growing on them and also keep them fit for the next use.
We have compiled some hacks and tips for the lash queens out there to help you enjoy false eyelashes even more.
• Add That Curve to Your Eyelashes: Fake eyelashes are much easier to apply when they are curved. This is because they fit the shape of your eyes better. To do this, simply wrap them around a makeup brush and leave them for a few minutes before wearing them.
• Trim the Extra Length: Before using your false eyelashes, measure them against your regular lash line. If they are too long, you can cut them down to size before applying them.
• Be Creative: You can create your own individual style by using a different method. Stack different eyelash strips together to form a fuller one. You can also cut them into half and apply them on the outer corner of your eyes for a more natural look.
• Put a Mirror Where You Can Look Downwards into It: When placing your mirror, make sure you put it where you can look down and not straight into it. It is advisable to put it on a flat surface with your elbows on each side. This gives you a better view of what you are doing.
• Choose Your Glue Wisely: When picking your lash glue, make sure you choose one that is clear or black to avoid those white balls of the wrong glue on your lash line. The clear ones are transparent while the black ones work as an eyeliner. You should also pick a tacky glue because the tackier, the better.
• Blend in: You can apply mascara or a great deal of eyeliner to help in case your false eyelashes are not blending perfectly with your natural lashes. This naturally hides the band and makes it difficult to know if you are rocking falsies or not.
• Apply Glue with a Bobby Pin: It is imperative that you do not spill glue on the strands of the eyelashes. You can use the thin end of a bobby pin when applying the glue, as this tends to be faster and more efficient.
• Use an Eyelash Applicator: Eyelash applicators make the work excellently easy. Just get one, and you can get as close to your lash line as possible without damaging your eyes.
• Never Use Regular Glue: You should ALWAYS use only lash glue to apply your false eyelashes, as any other glue can cause an eye infection.
Photos via @beautsoup, @atlantip, @thesaraengel, @lolaliner, @melisssaspiteri