If your hair has been suffering from different kinds of damage lately, and you are looking for the proper solution to get your healthy strands back, then you should really consider hair masks. They have great benefits for your mane and contain deeply revitalizing ingredients for your hair. There are so much you could get from using hair mask, and that is why we chose to enlighten you about hair mask, its benefits, and the right way to apply it for the best result.
Your Guide to Using Hair Mask: Contents
• 27 Best Hair Masks for Every Hair Type to Buy
• What Is a Hair Mask?
• Hair Mask Benefits You’ll Get
• How to Choose the Best Hair Mask for Your Hair Type?
• How to Use Hair Mask for an Effective Hair Care Routine
• Important Hair Mask Tips to Know
• A Couple of DIY Hair Masks to Try at Home
To make it easy for you to find the best hair mask, we scoured through the Internet and found 27 products that offer all you need. Any one of these options you pick will help you get your hair as healthy as possible in no time.
1. Briogeo Don’t Despair, Repair! Deep Conditioning Mask
We start off our list with one of the most amazing hair masks that you can get your hands on. The product is made to deeply nourish and strengthen all hair types. It goes into your hair to nourish, right from the root and to create vibrancy. Argan oil, collagen, silk, and vitamin B are present inside it to transform damaged hair into a healthy, shiny and robust mane. Get a jar at Sephora!
2. Gisou Honey Infused Hair Mask
You have to avoid going for a hair mask that contains harmful ingredients like alcohol or formaldehyde. Well, this honey-infused hair mask form Gisou developed by style icon Negin Mirsalehi is full of minerals and vitamins that are safe for your hair. With the honey-infused formula your hair gets natural humectants, and the honey helps you maintain the moisture balance. The product also improves your hair strength and elasticity. You can find this amazing hair mask at Revolve.
3. Amika Soulfood Nourishing Mask
This hair mask also works for all hair types and is infused with deep conditioning agents to completely restore your damaged hair. Amika Soulfood contains sea buckthorn berry and over 190 biologically active ingredients to promote collagen production and serve as building blocks for your hair. It also helps protect your hair from damage from the sun and other external elements. You can also use it for color-treated and keratin-treated hair to improve softness, shine and give your mane more elasticity. Pick yourself a jar at Sephora!
4. Not Your Mother’s Matcha Green Tea & Wild Apple Blossom Nutrient Rich Butter Masque
From one of the best hair care brands, here is one formula that works to restore damaged strands. This is the best hair mask that comes filled with antioxidants and nutrients to enrich your hair. It helps condition your hair deeply and revive damaged strands. The end result of using this hair mask is a clean and purified style with healthy strands. You can pick up a jar at Ulta Beauty now.
5. Living Proof Restore Mask Treatment
If your hair has been dry, shown signs of breakage or had split ends, you just might want to get one of the best restoring hair masks available. With tacuma butter, glycolic acid and Living Proof’s patented healthy hair molecule, you can fix all those concerns in no time. All these ingredients work to repair damaged cuticles and increase your hair moisture level. Also, you get to have healthier looking hair that is visibly stronger. You can find this hair mask online at Sephora.
6. Balmain Paris Hair Couture Revitalizing Mask
From the best of Balmain Paris Hair Couture, we pulled this hydrating and nourishing formula out. The revitalizing hair mask is rich in minerals, fatty acids, and vitamin F to keep your scalp healthy. There is also the presence of vitamin E to protect your mane, and vitamin P to repair your damaged roots. Additionally, there is this pleasant fragrance that trails you after you use the product on your hair. Find this luxe hair mask at Net-a-Porter!
7. Eva NYC Therapy Session Hair Mask
There are lots of hair masks on the Internet, but not all of them can repair your hair without having a long-term damaging effect. Well, this cult-favorite hair mask from Eva Nyc repairs damaged hair. It contains argan oil and keravis to deliver optimal anti-breakage benefits. The product has been scientifically tested to increase the strength and flexibility of your hair. If you don’t like the way your strands have been looking lately, then get this hair mask at Ulta Beauty!
8. Verb Hydrating Mask
For any hair type, The Verb Hydrating Mask contains all the right components to treat tangled and fragile hair. The versatile and weightless formula has no parabens, sulfates or phthalates to harm your hair. It comes to add softness and shine to your mane. Another perk is that it works with styling and heating tools. You can get yourself this hair mask at Sephora.
9. Leonor Greyl Paris Masque à l’Orchidée Softening Hair Mask
If you have thick hair that needs a softening, moisturizing and conditioning mask, then we suggest you get this hair mask. You can use it to nourish and detangle frizzy hair giving it more flexibility and shape. It also makes blow-drying much easier. This multi-purpose hair mask is available online at Nordstrom.
10. Bumble and Bumble Bb. While You Sleep Overnight Damage Repair Masque
Bumble and Bumble have been at the forefront of creating wonderful hair care products for years, and that is why we had to put this hair mask on this list. Their overnight hair mask is a restorative formula for repairing damaged or distressed strands. It contains camellia oil, anti-oxidants, and primrose to offer great repair and to protect your hair from external damage. You can get yours at Sephora.
11. Show Beauty Sublime Repair Treatment Mask
This hair mask will work wonders for any hair type, as it comes with hydrolyzed pea and quinoa proteins to hydrate and improve hair elasticity. There is also a luxurious blend of caviar and white truffle, which will leave your hair deeply nourished and conditioned. Get only positive results when you choose a jar of this sublime repair formula from Net-a-Porter!
12. Kiehl’s Since 1851 Olive Fruit Oil Deeply Repairative Hair Pak
Hair styling, intense heat from styling tools and chemicals from the environment can damage your hair, and this is why you need this reparative hair mask. It contains avocado oil, lemon extract, and olive fruit oil to help you deeply nourish your strands for a healthy appearance. The mask was made with in-depth knowledge of medicinal benefits, and all the ingredients used are biodegradable to help protect the earth. You can pick up this hair mask at Sephora.
13. Oribe Signature Moisture Masque
Deeply hydrating and great for all sort of treated hair, Oribe’s signature hair mask is full of benefits. When applied to your hair, it transforms any parched part to the softest strands. Additionally, it reveals soft and smooth locks when you use it after washing your hair. You can get this luxurious hair mask at Nordstrom.
14. Revivogen PRO Volumizing Hair Mask
If you have been suffering from thinning hair or hair loss, then this hair mask might just be able to help. With botanical extracts, it fortifies and infuses your hair with lightweight moisture and adds strength to each of your strands. There are also aloe vera, antioxidants and castor oil in the hair mask to restore fullness and vitality to formerly limp locks. Get yourself a jar at Dermstore!
15. Moroccanoil Restorative Hair Mask
What we have here is a protein-rich formula that helps you repair any hair damage. It works for all hair types and helps dry or weakened hair to regain texture, elasticity, and manageability. There is also the infusion of argan oil to hydrate and treat your hair. Pick up this colorful jar at Sephora!
16. Ouai Treatment Masque
Ouai is famous for making hair care products that contain safe formulas for removing any damage done to your hair. This treatment hair mask has artichoke leaf extract to seal the cuticle and stop your hair color from degrading by oxidation. After using it, your strands will remain smooth, and incredibly soft. Get yours at Sephora!
17. R+Co Palm Springs Pre-Shampoo Treatment Mask
UV rays can be very harmful to your hair, however, you can use hair mask like this one to protect your hair from any harm. The product comes with babbubu seed extract, coconut oil, argan oil, and other hydrating ingredients to help you maintain strong and healthy hair. It also comes with fragrance notes to make your hair smell really nice. You can find this hair mask at Net-a-Porter.
18. Drybar Mudslide Nourishing Hair Mask
For all hair types, Drybar’s hair mask was designed to revitalize overworked hair. There are lightweight ingredients like argan oil and yuzu oil in the product to enrich your hair for long-lasting shine. It also works to make your hair much stronger and resilient while increasing moisture to avoid future damage. Get your pink tube from Sephora!
19. Aveda Dry Remedy Treatment Masque
With rare but efficient ingredients, this treatment hair mask from Aveda needs to be in your hair care kit. The product is infused with buriti oil to condition your hair, and there are also bergamot note, lavender, and ginger lily infused to make your hair smell nice and refreshed. It’s also perfect for color-treated hair, and you can pick up your own at Nordstrom.
20. DevaCurl Melt into Moisture Matcha Butter Conditioning Mask
Sometimes the weather can be very harsh on your hair, with the frizz and moisture-zapping action, which is when you need this hair mask to protect your hair. It comes enriched with almond oil, green tea butter, and beetroot extract along with other great components that will make your waves soft and silky. It also promises to nourish your mane and boost the shine. You can find this creamy hair mask at Sephora.
21. It’s A 10 Miracle Hair Mask
This miracle hair mask was formulated to work with today’s styling needs. For color-treated hair, heat styled and any type of processed hair, you can trust it to keep your hair safe. It contains oat kernel extract to make your hair silky and soft, apricot oil to repair your dry scalp and linseed extract to promote healthy hair growth. There are a lot of other benefits from using this hair mask, so get yours at Ulta Beauty.
22. Christophe Robin Regenerating Mask with Rare Prickly Pear Seed Oil
What we have here is another regenerative hair treatment formula from Christopher Robin. The first thing that will get you craving this hair mask is how it repairs your hair right from the roots with a long-lasting result. There are plant ceramides in the mix, and they help to protect and revive pigments in natural or color-treated hair. The end result is always a smooth, soft and radiant look. Get your hands on this jar at Sephora!
23. Too Cool for School Egg Remedy Hair Pack
Free of parabens, phthalates, and mineral oil, this is the best hair mask that is perfectly healthy for your hair. It comes with nourishing hair treatment components like proteins for revitalizing your hair strands. You can use it right after shampooing and get instant results. You can get this cute tube at Nordstrom.
24. Ouidad Curl Recovery Melt-Down Extreme Repair Mask
Your hair needs the best care possible, and that is why we recommend that you use this extreme repair hair mask. It contains clinically proven actives to help you recreate your mane’s depleted lipid. You also get to enjoy its unique Proprietary CR-4 Repair Complex that envelops the hair shaft to protect it from any damage. You can find this hair mask at Sephora.
25. SheaMoisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen & Restore Masque
Breakage or hair loss can easily be avoided by using this hair mask from SheaMoisture. With the organic shea butter, Jamaican black castor oil and peppermint oil used to produce it, you have all that you need for smooth and healthy hair. Additionally, it helps to nourish your hair and restore strength to damaged strands. Perfect for color-treated and heat-styled hair, you can find this hair mask online at Ulta Beauty.
26. Alterna Haircare Caviar Anti-Aging Replenishing Moisture Masque
For intensive nourishment, with a vibrant and healthy look, Alterna’s hair mask is the right product to choose. Infused with the brand’s unique seasilk and age-control complex, it stops your hair from aging and moisturizes it right from the scalp. There is also a UV shield to protect your hair color and leave it looking as radiant as you can imagine. This hair mask sells through Sephora.
27. dpHUE Apple Cider Vinegar Hair Masque
For our last product, we selected a hair mask that works for all hair types and repairs all kinds of hair damage, intelligently. With plant-based conditioning agents and vitamin B, it helps restore hair’s elasticity and enhance luster. There are so many benefits present in one jar of this product, and you definitely don’t want to miss them. You can also use it for natural and color-treated hair to boost shine and protect your hair color. Get yourself this hair mask online at Sephora!
Hair mask is a hair care product that works like hair conditioner but contains ingredients like natural oils, and lipids in higher concentrations to help perform a reparative treatment for damaged or unhealthy hair. So basically, it’s like a more powerful hair conditioner that brings more profound benefits for your hair. Hair mask usually has to be left in the hair for a while for it to work its way into all parts of your hair and repair it from root to tip.
All the stress you put your hair through by using styling products and exposing it to the environment can cause hair damage. It can even happen because of the seasonal change or humid weather conditions. With the best hair mask you choose, you can repair any type of damage and protect your healthy mane.
You can get so much from using hair mask regularly. But if you aren’t convinced yet, we have listed some of those benefits for you in this section.
• Using hair mask makes your hair very smooth and shiny. It also doesn’t leave any grease, which might cause dandruff later.
• It leaves your hair smelling really nice, especially the ones that are infused with sweet fragrance notes.
• Hair mask contains ingredients that are aimed at repairing damaged hair and protecting your hair strands from any form of external damage.
• The elements can sometimes be tough on your hair and can lead to frizzy hair or parched strands. Hair mask is beneficial in nourishing your hair with the necessary minerals and vitamins. It also hydrates your mane so that it looks healthy and vibrant.
• You can use hair mask for color-treated hair or keratin-treated hair without worrying about side effects. It can even help preserve the treatment effects so that your hair looks beautiful.
• It is also great for those who don’t want to spend so much time treating their hair in the salon. So for great in-between styling treatment, hair mask is the ideal product.
You will find thousands of hits when you type in the word ‘hair mask.’ But not all of them is good for your hair. You need to consider your hair type and the type of damage that has been done to your hair before you choose any product. This is why we checked the different kinds of hair masks available and what hair type each is suitable for.
• Hydrating Hair Mask
If your hair feels dry or parched, then you definitely should know that you need to get hydrated fast. Even if your hair is healthy, you can still use the hydrating hair mask to add more bounce and avoid frizz.
This type of hair mask is great for all hair types. It helps curly hair types to enhance texture, thick hair to avoid tangled bedhead look, straight hair to have more healthy strands, and it won’t weigh your hair down.
• Oil-Based Hair Mask
Oils like argan, coconut oil for hair, olive and almond oil are very useful in keeping moisture locked into your hair for more extended periods. You can use an oil-based hair mask alternatively with a hydrating one to make sure that the effect lasts more and to add more essential nutrients. It can be used for hair types that are suffering from being dry or damaged.
• Bond-Building Hair Mask
This type of hair mask is specially formulated for color-treated hair. It is usually applied as a mid-process treatment to reverse hair damage and to restore protein bonds to your hair shaft for a healthier result. If you have dyed your hair, bond-building hair mask will help you protect your hair color bright.
• Protein Hair Mask
Have you been combing your hair lately and a lot of your strands keep coming off with the comb? It would only mean that your hair is weak, distressed and in dire need of protein. Use protein hair mask to treat your hair once a while, and this will supply your locks the nutrients to stay healthy. It is suitable for all hair types, but don’t use it if your hair is in excellent condition. Too much protein in your hair can cause your hair to look really crisp and stiff.
All the hair masks listed above focus on the health and condition of your hair. However, there are still different types of hair masks that you can use for different hair types.
• Curly Hair – Use moisturizing hair mask with ingredients that will help you enhance your hair texture and tame frizz. Check for components like proteins and oils.
• Straight Hair – With this hair type, you need to add moisture to your scalp and avoid hair thinning. So use hair masks that are rich in plant-based oils and natural proteins to keep your hair glossy and healthy.
• Thick Hair – Your hair is likely perfect already, so all you need is a hair mask that keeps frizz away and leaves your hair looking smooth and shiny. Ingredients like glucose, protein, and lipids will do that for you.
• Fine Hair – Choose a lightweight hair mask that has hydrating ingredients to help add the right amount of volume and moisture to your hair. You can look out for vitamins and natural extracts in the product.
You need to know how to use hair mask properly so that you can get the best result. It works better when applied to slightly damp hair and you might have to play around a bit until you know the right amount for your hair.
Now that you have gotten the best hair mask for your hair type, you need to read the instructions carefully. There might be some products that are designed for weekly use, while others are bi-weekly masking treatments. Then look for a shirt you are no longer using or wrap yourself around with a towel because the process might get messy.
• Wash your hair as you usually do and then towel-dry until it is slightly damp. You can also comb your hair to get rid of tangles.
• Apply the hair mask according to the instructions on the package. You can also separate your hair into sections and apply it section by section, from root to tip, at a time.
• Use a comb to make sure that the mask has been spread evenly, then wrap your head with a towel – warm environment boosts the effectiveness of hair mask.
• Leave the mask in your hair according to the time specified on the package.
• Rinse your hair using a shampoo and water. Then finish the whole process with a conditioner to keep your hair moisturized.
• Squeeze out any excess water, then leave your hair to air-dry.
There are certain things you need to know so that your hair masking experience can be better than just ordinary. Here are some of those hair mask tips:
• Use It Overnight
You can apply a hair mask to your hair after taking your shower at night and sleep in it. Just wrap your head with a silk scarf or your towel and sleep in it. Rinse it out in the morning for superb moisturized, soft and smooth hair.
• After Treatment
After using your hair mask, you can wash it out and then condition your hair. If you don’t properly wash out hair mask, it could leave residue in your hair. Using your regular conditioner after applying a hair mask helps get much healthier and gorgeous hair.
• Use Hot Towel or Shower Cap
In the previous section, we mentioned how warm environment makes hair mask more efficient. Well, you can add more warmth to it by using a hot towel. To get this apply a little bit of heat to your towel before using it to wrap your hair. You could also get a shower cap and make sure that your hair is well tucked in to give you the best result.
• Don’t Use Hair Mask for Greasy Hair
If you notice that your hair becomes greasy after applying hair mask, then it could be because that particular product is too oily for your hair type. Refer back to our tips on how to get the best hair mask for your hair type and needs.
• Time Matters
You don’t need to always sleep with your hair mask in or keep it in your hair for the whole day to get results. 10 minutes can be enough to get you the result you desire.
• Focus More on the Ends
The ends of your hair are always the first to lose moisture, so when you are applying your hair mask, focus more on this part. They need more attention.
• Use Wide-Tooth Comb
After washing your hair, use a wide-tooth comb to smoothen your hair. And still, use it to run through your hair when you are done applying it to make sure that the product spreads evenly.
• Follow a Weekly Routine
Except there is a contrary instruction on the body of your hair mask, you can apply hair mask to your hair weekly. This would make your hair look healthier with more bounce and protect it from damage. If your hair is really damaged, you can use it twice a week instead.
• Don’t Use It for Split Ends
Hair trims are the only proven method to repair split ends. Don’t try to use a hair mask to repair them – the product will only work to prevent future split ends for your hair.
Certain ingredients in your kitchen would make an excellent hair mask. So if you are up for it, we feature some fantastic DIY hair mask recipes that would do the same thing those jars on the store shelves will do. And you will probably save a little by trying them out.
Coconut Oil and Honey Hair Mask
Coconut oil is loaded with fatty acids, and it penetrates the hair much more deeply than hair conditioners. The addition of honey makes a combination that helps your hair stay soft, smooth and retains moisture. Honey is also a natural humectant that brings back lost sheen and boosts hydration.
• Pour 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and equal amount of honey into a bowl and mix well.
• Transfer the mixture into a pot to heat it up.
• Section your hair and apply it to each section from top to bottom.
• Cover your head with a warm towel or shower cap and leave it in for 15-20 minutes.
• Rinse out.
Egg and Lemon Hair Mask
Eggs are full of benefits for the body, and apart from that they contain vitamins A, D, and E, with fatty acids and proteins to help your hair retain luster and shine. You can add lemon to it to strengthen your hair and add life back into limp strands. For those with oily scalp, this mixture will absorb the excess oil and clean any deposit that might have been left on your hair by styling products.
• Get only the egg white form one egg into a mixing bowl, and then squeeze half of a lemon into it.
• Mix until you achieve a smooth paste.
• Make sure your hair is damp and apply the mixture from top to bottom.
• Cover your hair with a towel or shower cap and let it stay for 30-45 minutes.
• Rinse off with a shampoo and conditioner.
Yogurt, Apple Cider Vinegar, and Lemon Hair Mask
The combination of these three ingredients is perfect for cleaning up product build-up and washing away any excess oil. They also contain zinc and lactic acid for moisturizing your hair.
• Mix the yogurt, apple cider vinegar, and lemon together in a bowl.
• Dilute with a little water to ensure your hair color doesn’t fade.
• Apply your DIY hair mask to your hair and leave it to sit for 20-30 minutes.
• Wash off with shampoo and use your regular conditioner.
Brown Sugar and Olive Oil Hair Mask
Olive oil is a natural conditioner that helps lock in hair moisture and prevent breakage. With brown sugar, you get a mixture that also gets rid of dead cells from your scalp and washes away styling product residue. You can use it to treat dry hair and save your hair from dandruff.
• Get a bowl and mix 2 tablespoons of brown sugar with one tablespoon of olive oil.
• Apply it to your scalp and the entire length of your hair.
• Cover your hair and leave it in for 15-20 minutes.
• Then rinse it.
These are just a few ways to go about making a DIY hair mask for yourself. You can still try a mixture of ingredients like banana, honey, avocado, and strawberry.
Photos via @ohuprettythings, @bymaleiah, @coveting.beauty, @freckledredfox, @marianna_hewitt, @strictlysal, @kayluhskolors