Styling your hair can be tricky when it’s soft and all frizzy, but you can get rid of that with the help of hair pomade or hair paste. This hair styling product allows you to have that sleek look and nice texture. Plus, you can count on achieving that masterpiece others will envy as you step out in style. For beginners, here is all you need to know about hair pomade, hair paste, and how to use them.
Women’s Guide to Hair Pomade & Hair Paste: Contents
- 17 Best Hair Pomade and Hair Paste Styling Products to Get
- What Is Hair Pomade?
- What Is Hair Paste?
- Differences Between Hair Pomade, Hair Paste, Hair Clay and Hair Wax
- Benefits of Using Hair Pomade and Hair Paste
- Types of Hair Pomade
- How to Choose the Best Hair Pomade
- How to Use Pomade for Hair
- How to Use Hair Paste
From the top brands in town, we have selected 17 hair pomades and hair pastes that would do wonders to your hair. We love to save you all that time you might waste looking for the perfect product to help style that precious hair.
1. Ouai Haircare Matte Pomade
From one of the best hair brands, we pulled this right from their top shelf. This hair pomade contains active ingredients that are suitable for both long and short hair. Use it to improve your hair texture while keeping an effortlessly cool look. It works for all hair textures, and it doesn’t matter if your hair is color-treated, you can still use it to get the best styling result. Pick up a jar at Net-a-Porter!
2. Verb Forming Fiber
If hair flexibility appeals to you, this hair pomade would satisfy your hair needs. It adds great hold to your hair and leaves your strands light to touch, complementing it with a matte finish. Parabens, sulfates, and other harmful ingredients are absent so you won’t need to worry about hair damage. You can also rework your style for short and long voluminous hair. This hair pomade is available online at Sephora.
3. Murray’s Superior Hair Dressing Pomade
Most hair products contain harmful chemicals that might cause hair breakage. But with this bestselling hair pomade, you don’t need to worry about that. Its components are superior, and the pomade controls short hairstyles, making your hair lightweight yet strong. You can get this hair pomade on Amazon.
4. Bumble and Bumble Semisumo Hi-Shine Low-Hold Pomade
This hair pomade is suitable for all hair types and textures. Containing a unique blend of coconut oil and canola, it is excellent for taming frizz and adding shine for that sleek look. The additional beeswax smoothens each strand and creates a soft texture with a firm hold. All you need is in this fantastic jar that you can find online at Net-a-Porter.
5. Qhemet Biologics Castor & Amla Nourishing Pomade
Castor and amla oils are widely known for their scalp-nourishing benefits, both of which are infused in this hair pomade. The product is excellent for making your hair grow healthier and softening your dry or brittle hair ends. It also works for thickening your hair, reducing breakage, and imparting a deep sheen. You can get a jar for yourself at Sephora.
6. Tigi Bed Head Up Front Rockin’ Gel Pomade
With this gel pomade, you get to rock great hairstyles without worrying about stickiness. The hair pomade adds firm texture to your mane while creating a healthy shine. Couple that with the fact that you can use it on any hair type. Get a jar at Amazon!
7. Drybar Whiskey Fix Styling Paste
If you’re looking to redefine your hair texture and control the edges, then you certainly want to use this hair paste. Its powerful formula consisting of beeswax, castor oil, and keratin adds strength to your strands. You can use it to get a sturdy but flexible hairstyle without any frizz. This hair paste can be picked up online at Sephora.
8. Aveda Control Paste
From straight to fine hair and even tightly coiled hair, you can get that absolutely firm hold you have wanted with this hair paste. It helps control your messy hair without leaving it all frizzed-up. One unique feature you would definitely love about it is the aroma it gives your hair. For high textured styles and matte finish, choose Aveda’s hair paste at Nordstrom!
9. American Crew Pomade
Hair pomades make your hair slick and classic making hair styling a breeze. This is what American Crew put in their hair pomade jar just for you. You can get that flexible, beautiful style when you try out this product. It also works better for those who have curly hair. Get it at Ulta Beauty!
10. R+CO Control Flexible Paste
Give your hair a matte finish by adding this hair paste to your hair care kit. The product takes care of your hair, giving it a soft style that doesn’t need water to hold. Rest assured, stiffness or breakage will be far from your hair. With naturally active ingredients like mango fruit extract, styling polymer, and passion fruit extract, you can get strength and shine all imbued into your hair. This hair paste retails at Dermstore.
11. DevaCurl Beautiful Mess Curl Sculpting Pomade
Here is another unique hair pomade perfect for those with curly, wavy and coiled hair. The product is made with jojoba oil, cupuacu butter, and other ingredients to give your hair a perfect texture and significant volume. You can use it for quick styling when you are about to step out the door. Benefits like moisture, softness, and shine are all part of what you’ll enjoy when you use it. You can order a jar at Sephora.
12. Sexy Hair Style Sexy Hair Frenzy Matte Texturizing Paste
The ‘sexy’ in the product name is not just there to make it sound cool. This hair paste helps transform any hair into a fully textured and wild look. It also creates a firm hold to help you get that matte finish. Ingredients such as parabens and sulfates are not added to guarantee your safety. You can find it online at Ulta Beauty.
13. Amika Heist Molding Blend
Your hair needs to have a good structure if you are going to style it the way you want. With Amika’s hair paste, the infusion of mineral oils, coal tar, fragrance, and other significant components adds flexibility and strength to your hair. There is also the workable volume and matte finish your hair gets from it. Pick up a jar for yourself at Sephora!
14. Malin+Goetz Hair Pomade
Great for all hair types, this is one excellent hair styling product that creates lasting effects for you. Made of beeswax and natural fatty acid, this hair pomade has all it takes to hydrate and nourish your hair. You can apply it to any hair type to add volume, shape, and moisture. Get yourself one at Nordstrom!
15. Form Polish. Pomade
Made of a blend of oils, you can lock in moisture and give your locks a smooth feel with this hair pomade. This product comes from one of the best brands on the hair care market, and it has so many benefits for your hair. You can trust the coconut oil and shea butter it contains to tame frizz, moisturize your hair, and strengthen the layers. It also works on all hair types, being especially great for curly and coiled hair. Get it today at Sephora!
16. Redken Water Wax 03 Texturizing Pomade
The list of our best hair pomade and paste products is not complete without adding Redken’s masterpiece. This is one pomade that works wonders on your locks and keeps your hair shiny. You can get clean, flexible, frizz-free hair when you use it. There is the added advantage of having your hair full of moisture all day. Get your hands on the best hair pomade at Ulta Beauty!
17. O&M C Paste Pliable Light Weight Fibre
If you want to get that salon-styled hair right in the comfort of your home, get this hair paste. It is specially formulated to add moisture and natural shine to your hair. With the coconut oil added to it, it gives your hair a lightweight and healthy feel all day long. You can find it for sale online at Sephora.
Hair pomade has been around for a while. It has always been a great product to get textured hair without going through a lot of styling stress. The name is given to hair styling products that do not fall in the range of gels or fibers.
Hair pomade is an oil- or water-based substance used to style the hair to keep it sleek and beautiful without causing damage. Most of the products listed above contain powerful formulas that deliver healthy results and they don’t cost much.
One great thing about hair pomades is that they work for styling hair without drying out like hair spray or hair gel. And because of their greasy or waxy nature, they can last through several washes allowing you to create flexibility in style.
Unlike pomades, hair paste is strictly a water-based hair styling product. Hair pastes are generally thicker and much more consistent than pomades. These products give your hair a firm or medium grip and endow you with that beautiful matte finish. Although pastes may not be as dynamic as pomades, they still work for your hair no matter the length or type.
Despite their thickness, you won’t have too much trouble applying them. Heat needs to be added to some, while many other types will simply melt on your palm. Hair paste also adds volume and subtle texture. This, you don’t want to miss out on.
Of course, you can be a bit confused with all these terms flying around. While keeping up with their meanings might mean extra stress, you should know that each of these hair products is unique, and it’s essential that you know the individual function of each.
• Hair pomade is a term that describes hair care products that give your hair a neat, sleek, and shiny look. After using the product on your hair, you can use a comb to create flexible styles.
• Hair paste is almost similar to hair pomade, but these products are thicker than pomades. The shine and beautiful finish hair paste gives your hair is more consistent than with pomades. Also, pomades are cleaved into oil-based and water-based, while hair paste is majorly water-based. This makes it more natural to wash out than pomades.
• Hair clays are quite like their name suggests – clay-based hair styling products. The one with bentonite clay is common, which is a powdery and fine material formed from the weathering of volcanic ash. Hair clays usually appear thick or creamy, and add fullness to your hair. Clay stimulates the hair, adds nutrients, and promotes hair growth.
• The last on the list is hair wax, which has been awarded the most confusing among its peers. Hair wax is hair pomade with a lighter hold that gives your hair medium shine and requires a comb for styling (just like pomades).
We have already listed some of the benefits of using hair pomade and hair paste according to their definitions, but there are still more advantages of using these products.
• They both represent a healthy way to style your hair: Hair pomades and pastes don’t contain alcohol so your hair won’t lose all its moisture and suffer any form of damage. You can style your hair whatever way you want without getting dry flakes or soreness.
• Hair pomade and paste are versatile products. Whether your hair is dry or wet, whether your hair type is straight, curly, or coiled, you can still get the full benefits of using a pomade or a paste.
• You get more style for your hair! Whether with your styling comb or by using styling tools to create smooth hair you can achieve any style by using these hair products.
• These hair styling products are also great for bedhead hair. You can use a pomade or a hair paste to get that beachy, messy texture you like.
• Hair pomade and paste are also great at taming frizzy hair and keeping flyaways in place, especially in summer with high humidity.
If you surf the web for hair pomades, you will definitely see a lot of products but they are not the same. There are different types of hair pomades, each working differently for your hair. You might be disappointed if you end up using the wrong type, so here are all the types and what they do for you!
Oil-Based Hair Pomade
This type of hair pomade is what made the ‘50s fun. The pomade is made of oil-based ingredients that you can use for creating innovative styles. There’s the beauty of your hair looking wet and lustrous all day, and you can use a styling comb to keep reworking your style.
Oil-based hair pomade has a definite hold on your hair and might look a little greasy, but gives your hair a genuinely smooth look. With new formulas, the imperfections of traditional oil-based pomades have been eradicated. The oil in the products makes it much harder to wash out, and you might need a bit of shampooing to get it out of your hair.
Water-Based Hair Pomade
We won’t be going deep into the chemistry of how water-based hair pomades are created, but we can certainly tell you these pomades are lovely for you. Infused with water-soluble ingredients, they provide you with all the benefits of a hair pomade without giving you too much stress when you want to rinse it out. With creamy and smooth consistency, your hair will get a firm or tight hold.
Hybrid Hair Pomade
With innovation finding its way into the hair care industry, water- and oil-based pomades can now be transformed into one superb hybrid product. This works super well, creating the casual look you get with water and allowing you to have that powerful hold. There’s nothing like the feeling you get when you look at your hair in the mirror or run your hand through it.
Matte Hair Pomade
If you want something that styles your hair the right way without that bright shine, matte hair pomade is all you need. The product is made in a paste-like form that is a bit drier than the traditional pomade and is perfect for casual looks. The matte hair pomade makes your hair pliable, making it possible to switch from style to style all day long.
Choosing the best hair pomade depends on the type of look that you want to get. If your choice is to get slick-looking hair with much shine and firm hold, then you certainly want to go for oil-based hair pomades. Water-based hair pomade also gives a similar result and is cheaper than an oil-based pomade, but it washes out easily.
There is also the sheen and matte hair pomade. Sheen will help you get more shine on your hair, while matte pomade allows you to enjoy all the benefits of a pomade without too much shine.
You can also mix both of them to create your own style. There’s no boundary to exploring style possibilities with hair pomades – just be creative, and you can pretty much create a beautiful style out of different types.
Now that you have read all the great benefits obtainable with hair pomades, you need to know how to use one the right way. Some things are pretty essential to make sure that you get the best result.
• The first step to using hair pomade is to pick the right type. You might also need to determine what result you aim to achieve. For example, you might want to get a shiny, voluminous look, and firm texture.
• Now, prepare your hair. You should ensure that your hair is smooth and clean before applying the hair pomade. This is because the product works best with fresh and slightly damp hair.
• To determine the amount of pomade you want to put in your hair, start with a dime size and gradually add more until you achieve the desired feel. Rub the pomade on your hand to make it a little warm and more pliable.
• Run your finger through your hair and massage it from root to tip to evenly distribute it.
• Use a comb to style your hair any way you want. Your look can be messy, sleek, or even spiky, if you do it the right way.
Applying a hair paste on your hair follows the same procedure as a hair pomade, but here are some extra tips for hair pastes.
• Use hair paste on wet hair for firmer hold.
• It will add volume to thinning hair, if applied the right way.
• If your hair is short, use it while the hair is dry for a little hold.
• Hair paste is flexible enough to be used on wet and dry hair.
Photos via @natalieannehair, @lilyytay, @californiagirlglow