You must have heard of hair spray before, whether it was from the salon or you caught a glimpse of it among the rows of hair care products in the store. But hair sprays should be more than a simple styling product that comes in a can. There are a ton of benefits you can get just from using it, which is why we bring you a whole article on everything you need to know about hair spray. Get ready to learn the hows, whats, and whys of hair spray all at one glance when you scroll along.
Your Ultimate Hair Spray Guide: Contents
• 19 Best Hair Sprays for Every Hair Type and Hairstyle
• Types of Hair Spray & Tips for Choosing One
• Benefits of Using Hair Spray
• Is Hair Spray Safe for Your Hair?
• How to Use Hair Spray Effectively
• Hair Spray Tips & Tricks
• Other Hair Spray Uses You Never Knew
On that row in the beauty store or on the catalogs of many online stores, there are several hair sprays begging for the click of your finger. Well, we thought of that and selected 19 best hair sprays that will do wonders to your hair, no matter which one you choose.
1. Living Proof Flex Shaping Hairspray
For the first best hair spray on our list, we have something quite interesting from Living Proof. This hair spray works for all types of hair, providing it with a brushable and touchable feeling. It contains a blend of flexible but firm polymers that work on damp or dry hair to protect it from heat and ensure the longevity of style. You can use it at any stage of your styling process and still get remarkable results. Pick up one for yourself at Sephora!
2. Aveda Air Control Hair Spray
Aveda makes a wonderful hair spray that is full of perks for the hair. It is derived from pine resin technology, which is designed for lightweight, reworkable hold to add volume to your hair right from the roots. Harmful ingredients like parabens, sulfates, and phthalates are absent from the mix. And if you are in love with nature, this hair spray was specially built to have zero impact on the earth climate. You can get yours at Nordstrom.
3. Moroccanoil Luminous Hairspray Strong Finish
One thing that you will absolutely love about this hair spray is the fact that it works for all hair types. Infused with argan oil, it provides your hair with lasting hold and fights off frizz. Be it braids, soft, or natural styles, the great formula is perfect for creating a weightless feel without leaving flaky residues. Get yours from Sephora!
4. Hair by Sam McKnight Modern Hairspray
If you need to fight frizz and add volume to your hair, this is the best hair spray for you. Termed ‘the perfect multi-tasker,’ this product has so many perks for your hair. You can spray it directly on the roots of your hair to set straight or curly locks. There are also fragrance notes to help you maintain that fresh smell all around you as you are walking by. This modern hair spray is available through Net-a-Porter.
5. Tigi Bed Head Masterpiece Shine Hairspray
If you need a hair spray that can add a firm hold and more volume to your mane, this is what you need. This hair spray comes with great ingredients that are good for any hair length or texture. You can use it to avoid frizziness and get massive shine. You can order a bottle for yourself at Ulta Beauty.
6. Amika Fluxus Touchable Hairspray
We added one of the most exciting products that you will find among the hair spray category to our list. It comes with sea buckthorn berry and over 190 biologically active compounds all to make sure that your hair gets that flexible hold with a shiny finish. The product is safe for chemically treated hair and promotes the production of collagen to build healthy hair. Get your colorful can of the best hair spray at Sephora!
7. Oribe Superfine Hairspray
This is one specially designed hair spray that you want to lay your hands on. The product comes with a new technology aimed at giving you flexible, brushable and soft hair. Also, it has an exclusively ultra-dry finish to allow your hold to remain firm without being weighty. You can also use it on all types of hair, no matter the color or treatment. Grab a bottle at Nordstrom now!
8. Bumble and Bumble Spray de Mode Flexible Hold Hairspray
Hair sprays are products that give your hair a naturally firm hold, and the best of them do just that without damaging your strands. This is another amazing hair spray from Bumble and Bumble and it has the right ingredients to add all the perks you need. For a flexible hold and touchable finish, this hair spray has copolymers and vitamins to increase workability. It can be found online at Sephora.
9. Sebastian Shaper Plus Extra Hold
If you are disturbed by frizz each time the humidity goes up, Sebastian has a solution right in this bottle. The hair spray gives you 24-hour control without being sticky or stiff. The immediate action that is delivered to your style makes you look stunning. There are no harmful ingredients, so you don’t have to worry about hair damage. This hair spray is available for purchase online at Ulta Beauty.
10. Drybar Money Maker Flexible Hold Hairspray
When choosing a hair care product, you have to pick the type that suits your hair, as you don’t want something that will wreak havoc. But you don’t have to care about your hair type when you choose this hair spray, since it works for any hair texture and length. It comes infused with pliable polymers and prune oil to help you create a flexible hold and enough shine to make your style stand out. It also has subtle notes of jasmine, sandalwood, and Madagascar vanilla to make your hair smell as lovely as you can dream of. Pick up a bottle for yourself at Sephora!
11. R+Co Vicious Strong Hold Flexible Hairspray
With components like pro-vitamin B5, R+Co’s hair spray creates a strong but flexible hold for your hair. It gives your hair a really lovely scent with all the fragrance notes infused in the bottle. You also get to keep frizz at bay and keep your style nice for much longer. Get yours at Net-a-Porter!
12. Verb Ghost Hairspray
Parabens, sulphates, and silicones are not safe for your hair, and you should stay away from them. And since this hair spray doesn’t contain any of these harmful combinations, we really recommend it for you. The product has all you want in one bottle – your hair gets protection, firm hold and hydration. It has an invisible, yet powerful formula to keep your hairstyles intact throughout the day. Grab yourself a bottle at Sephora!
13. Kenra Professional Volume Spray 25
Here is an excellent formula that has all it takes to leave your hair looking all shiny, with the necessary strength and volume required. This hair spray comes with great ingredients to give your mane a lasting hold of up to 120 hours, and a full day of frizz resistance. The product also works without leaving any flakes or causing damage. It can be picked up online at Ulta Beauty.
14. IGK Down & Out Dirty Spray
Hair sprays can be really amazing with how fast they help you create the hold required to style your hair. That is why you want this texturizing hair spray in your hair care collection. It contains coconut oil for hair, sunflower extract and other ingredients to condition your hair while sealing in moisture. Your hair also gets to be strengthened, with a boost in your hair shine. If you are wearing braids or ponytails, then you can also use it to add more control and grip, while prepping your hair. This hair spray is available at Sephora.
15. Sachajuan Strong & Flexible Hairspray
Frizz can be very awful, especially with how difficult it is to get rid of it. But you don’t need to go through all that stress when you can get this bottle of hair spray. It comes loaded with amazing ingredients to make your hair lightweight and leave your hair feeling soft and touchable. This hair spray sells through Net-a-Porter.
16. Alterna Haircare Bamboo Smooth Anti-Humidity Hair Spray
An ultra-dry, humidity-resistant and weightless mane is what you get from one bottle of Alterna’s hair spray. The product never gets sticky or stiff when on your hair, but works to extend the life of blow-outs and to lock out frizz. With components like pyre organic bamboo extract, organic kendi oil, and no harmful ingredients, you can trust that your hair will look as great as you want it to look using this hair spray. Get it now at Sephora!
17. Sexy Hair Spray & Stay Intense Hold Hairspray
This product creates one of the strongest holds your hair can get. It is perfect for keeping any elegant style in place with long-lasting strength. It comes with a new production technology and leaves your ever-sexy hairstyle with more sheen and shine. Find it online at Ulta Beauty!
18. DevaCurl Flexible Hold Hairspray Touchable Finishing Styler
From one of the best brands in the beauty business, this is one hair spray that will redefine your style. The lavender-scented hair spray gives your hair the needed strength with wheat proteins and leaves you with a lasting hold. One of the best features of the product is the bouncy and beautiful finish you get after using it. Grab your bottle at Sephora!
19. Nick Chavez Plump ‘N Thick Thickening Hairspray
For a firm hold and fuller-looking style, you want to have a bottle of this hair spray. Formulated with collagen, the product has all that it takes to boost hair volume and give you a glamorous shine. It is also very healthy and doesn’t have any harmful ingredients that might hurt you. This hair spray sells through Dermstore.
Hair spray is a gaseous styling solution made of polymers coming in an aerosol can that is sprayed into the hair to give it more volume, more hold, and better flexibility.
Hair spray came into limelight after the Second World War. It was founded on the same principle used to drive insects away during the war, a concept developed by the Ministry of Agriculture. Well, don’t be grossed out, the same can wasn’t used for the two purposes – just a thing or two about the technology was changed to help women get a style that is really lovely and as natural as possible.
Just like a lot of other hair products, there are different types of hair spray on the market, which is why we have this section for you. Make sure you are using the right hair spray for your hair type browsing through all the options presented below.
• Regular Hair Spray: You can pretty much use this type of hair spray for any hair type. It will help you enhance your locks, with that great shine and hold throughout the day. It is usually used to complement any hairstyle you have chosen to wear.
• Shine Hair Spray: If you have noticed that hair spray leaves your hair looking dull and uninviting, then you have been using the wrong type. Switch to shine hair spray and get that boost in your hair luster with much radiance to boot.
• Weightless Hair Spray: This type of hair spray will help you boost your hair without making it weigh down on your head. It is great for those with super fine hair who want more volume.
• Volumizing Hair Spray: This hair spray works just like the name suggests. It helps to boost the volume of your hair, making it look fuller and thicker. You can apply it at the roots of your hair for the best result. Volumizing hair sprays are great for those who have fine hair or thin hair to help thicken and strengthen hair strands.
• Frizz-Control Hair Spray: For those who regularly wake up with a ’bedhead’ look or frequently get that mass of tangled hair, you certainly want to get frizz-control spray. It is enhanced with components that lock hair cuticles, keeping in moisture and locking out humidity. Curly locks or parched hairstyles will find great benefits in this hair spray.
• Thermal Hair Spray: If you use heat styling tools a lot, they may cause your hair to lose its natural moisture. That is why you need to get a thermal hair spray, which you can use as a protective barrier to your hair. And since it contains less alcohol, it is definitely healthy for your strands.
• Texturizing Hair Spray: This type of hair spray is an upgrade on dry shampoo. It adds more volume and a firm hold, without soaking up your hair oil. Texturizing hair sprays don’t leave any residues, being great for those with fine or thin hair.
• Holding-Power Spray: You don’t want to have your mohawk fall apart, or your braids have tangles all over. So, why not use a hair spray of the exact holding power you need to avoid this? From light-hold and medium-hold to strong-hold options, this type of hair spray comes with different levels of holding power to give you exactly the style you are looking for. You can choose to use a flexible hold spray for better movement and flexibility in your style, and you can select a strong-hold one for firmer styles.
• Finishing Hair Spray: Like the finishing powder in makeup, finishing hair spray is what you use last, at the end of styling your hair to keep the style in place. It normally has a heavy hold power for a long-lasting look. Finishing hair spray can be of different types as well, coming to either add shine to your hair or make it look matte.
• Working Hair Spray: This is the most flexible hair spray with the least amount of hold that you can use on your hair while you are still working on your hairstyle with your fingers or a hair brush.
• Shaping Hair Spray: Much like the working hair spray, the shaping one is also flexible, giving you the freedom to brush your hair after you have applied it. The only difference between the two is that while you can use working spray while you are still styling your hair, you normally apply the shaping spray after your hairstyle is ready.
• Freeze Spray: The freeze spray is the kind of super-strong-hold hair spray that will make your hairstyle freeze, and you’ll hardly ever have a hair out of place using it.
Apart from all the apparent advantage in all the sections we have written for you, here are some benefits of using hair spray:
• It isn’t easy to mess up a hairstyle finished off with hair spray.
• Your hair will become super shiny.
• There is something for every hair type.
• It allows your blow-out to last for much longer.
• It helps you to tame frizz.
• You can use hair spray to get a flexible hair texture.
Every good thing in our world today has an adverse effect. They are either good for us and bad for the environment or not safe for continuous use. Hairspray is also part of this category. While it is perfect for an immediate boost in hair volume, great for firm hold and makes your hair all shiny, it contains several chemicals, some of which are quite dangerous.
When hair spray became a thing in the ‘70s, some chemicals like vinyl chloride, which served as a propellant, were used. However, they were banned by National Institutes of Health due to the carcinogenic properties that carry.
The chemical that was used to replace it was methylene chloride, but after some research about the effect on humans, that was also banned. Now polymers are the base ingredients of hair spray, and some of the dangers they have for humans includes;
• Hair spray contains gases that are dangerous if inhaled, so it should be used in well-ventilated places so that gases don’t get into the body. A long period of inhalation can lead to thesaurosis (foreign substances in the lungs) and other related ailments.
• The chemicals in hairspray can react negatively with the skin and cause redness, rashes or itching.
• Some people are allergic to the ingredients in hairspray, which may have their allergies triggered when you spray it near them.
• The gases in hair spray are flammable and can cause an explosion if you put it near a fire.
• Hairspray should not be sprayed near the nose, eyes or mouth. Any such exposure should be washed off immediately. And severe cases should be reported to the physician immediately.
With all these dangers, hair spray is quite good for your hair strands, and you just have to take care to use it appropriately and take all the precautions necessary.
Using your hair spray the right way will make you achieve the correct result. But since you can use hair spray for different hairstyles, we have listed all the steps here to make sure that you get exactly what you want.
Step 1: Choose the Right Hair Spray
If you check the section above about the different types of hair spray and the hairstyle and hair type that each is good for, you will be able to pick the best hair spray for you. It is critical because choosing a shine hair spray for your limp hair might not add enough volume to your stands.
Step 2: Spraying Your Hair
After getting the right type of hair spray, the next step is to make sure that the nozzle of the spray is not clogged. Then hold the spray some 12 inches away from your strands and spray it while moving it around your hair. Lastly, run your hands through your hair as you spray to make sure that it gets to every part of your hair.
Well, that seems quite simple, but that works if you want a simple style while hurrying out of your apartment. However, if you want to define your style, here are some additional tips to follow.
• For Adding Volume
If you need your hair to have more volume with thickened strands, use a flexible hold hair spray on your hair roots and then blow-dry. It will leave you with a fantastic volume while avoiding sticky build-up.
• To Prep for Styling
You can use hair spray to prepare your hair for styling. Take a can of hair spray and mist your hair from afar with it. Then allow your hair to dry completely before wrapping it around a curling iron – this will let your curls look more voluminous and last longer.
• Tame Frizz with Hair Spray
Are you battling frizz every day? Your hair spray can help you tame frizzy hair. Apply the spray directly to your hands and then lightly pat any flyaway that needs to be managed. It is especially good for small areas.
• For Small Areas, Use a Toothbrush
For the edges of your strands, or just at the edge of your hairline, you can use a toothbrush to achieve the desired result. Spray the toothbrush and gently apply to the required area. This will help you avoid the mistake of spraying too close to your scalp.
• Take Care When Spraying Curly Hair
Using the hair spray on your curly hair might make the curls stick together and lose their bounce. However, you can pat each section with a little amount of hair spray and use your hand to scrunch them. This will enhance your texture and keep your definition perfect.
With so many benefits, hair spray is not just another styling product on the store counter begging for attention. It has the right features to make it have a spot on your dresser. We have added some really excellent hairspray tips and tricks that will leave you craving for a bottle of hairspray.
• When using hair spray, it is vital to keep it at least ten inches away from your hair. This is because it will make your hair look super shiny and greasy if it accumulates on your scalp. Also, avoid the temptation of spraying it directly on your scalp, it will still work even if the nozzle does not touch your strands.
• Avoid using a brush while spraying. Hair spray locks your hair in place essentially, so while using the formula, you can cause hair breakage by using a brush. You should also wash your hair first at the end of the day and allow it to dry completely before brushing it.
• Don’t use too much hair spray on your hair. Because of the gaseous form of hair spray, you might be deceived into thinking that you can use as much as possible. However, it contains hidden weight that would make your hair go limp if you use too much. The rule of thumb is to spray around your hair while counting three. There are weightless formulas, so just make sure you do your research.
• Use hairspray to lock up your curls. While you are still wearing those hair rollers, you can use a bit of hair spray to keep it in shape. Do it just before you remove them for longer-lasting curls.
• Use more for more volume and hold. Although there are instructions on the can of hairspray that will tell you the required time to get to the amount of hold that you need, it’s really a matter of preference, so spray it until you can feel your hair harden. When it gets to the required hold you feel is strong enough, you can stop. Also, a simple style needs less spray while complicated ‘dos require more hair spray.
• If you need more volume for your hair, flip your hair upside down and shake it. Then flip it back to normal, hold each strand and spray a little on each. You don’t need to do it for every strand – just make sure you are strategic about the position you choose. This would give your hair more body.
• Hairspray can help you prevent oily hair. Take a hairspray and use it on your freshly washed hair. It will help your hair stay oil-free for some days after washing it.
• It is not advisable to allow hair spray to touch your naked skin like your scalp and forehead. So you can get a visor with handles that will help you protect your forehead while spraying. It will also protect your eyes and nose from getting misted with the product. It is especially very good for those who use it regularly.
• You can get messy, wavy styles when you get out of bed. To get this, take a bottle of hair spray and spray it all over your hair before going to bed. You will have that beachy hair look by the time you wake up.
To top off all the hair spray tips, here are some interesting hair spray uses that you didn’t know before:
• Use your hair spray for cleaning sticky stains. If you need to get out stains that seem not to be coming out with ordinary detergent, you can use your hair spray. Apply it directly to the stain, leave it for a few minutes, and then wash it at high temperature (as high as the garment allows). Hair spray is excellent for removing wine stains, ink, and some other stubborn stains.
• Hair spray removes nail varnish. You don’t want to have chipped polish all over your nails, so if you have run out of nail polish remover, you can use your hair spray. Spritz some on the area and wipe with a cotton pad.
• To preserve your flowers, grab your flowers and hang them upside down, then spray the underside of the flowers and leave them to dry. Return them to the vase when you are done.
• Spray your tights with hair spray when they start feeling static-y.
• After polishing your shoes, use hair spray to keep the polish on the shoe for a longer period.
• Put some hair spray on a wet cloth and use it to wipe your furniture for getting rid of pet fur.
• For new looking curtains, spray them with your hair spray. Allow each coat to dry before spraying the next.
• If you have a sticky label that needs to go, you can use hair spray to remove the sticky residue when you peel it off.
Photos via @natalieannehair, @sarahdidmyhair, @pinjaandtheboys, @superglowva, @zoesugg, @xo.farhana.balayage, @innabose, @hairbyalyss