If you want a hair styling product that can help you get a firm hold for any way you want to style your hair, then you should check out hair wax. Hair wax allows you to infuse instant strength into your strands, making them thicker. You would also love the fact that it is safe for your hair and has quite a lot of other benefits.
In this article, we have compiled all the information you need to have about hair wax and arranged the best hair waxes for you. Read on to know what hair wax is, what it contains and how to use it for great hairstyles.
Your Guide to Hair Wax: Contents
Not every hair wax you find online or in brick-and-mortar stores will give you a great result. That is why we have selected 11 of the best hair waxes that you can try for a great result.
1. Bumble and Bumble Bb. sumoclay
Finding the right hair wax for your hair can be stressful, but you don’t need to go through all that. With Bumble and Bumble Bb. Sumoclay you get to rework your style anyhow you want it. The product contains castor oil, corn starch, silica among many other great ingredients to give you a moldable hold. Your hair also gets to have a gritty look with great texture and matte finish. Pick it up online at Sephora!
2. Oribe Rough Luxury Molding Wax
Oribe is famous for creating hair care products that work perfectly for users. And this is another great one from them. This hair wax is infused with beeswax, glycerin, and other ingredients to create a flexible, water-soluble product. You can count on it to add volume to your hair while leaving it soft and shiny. The product also works for color and keratin treated hair, protecting them from UV and keeping your hair healthy. You can get it at Neiman Marcus.
3. Sexy Hair Play Dirty Dry Wax Spray
If you are looking for a product that is very effective in helping shape your hair into any style, then you want to get a bottle of this dry hair wax spray. It gives your hair texture, dimension, firm hold, and semi-shine. It works by providing your mane protection against frizz, without any build-up of stickiness. Get yourself a bottle at Ulta Beauty!
4. AG Hair Dry Wax
Enhanced with AG Sea complex, here is a hair wax that can help you rework your style. It is infused with naturally texturized seaweed, and anti-aging seaberry oil, all to add loose definition to your hair. All the other ingredients are also perfectly safe. This hair wax is available at Ulta Beauty.
5. Tigi Bed Head Manipulator Matte Wax
Humidity can cause your hair to frizz up pretty quickly, that is why you need this matte hair wax. The product comes with a unique formula that locks out moisture and creates massive texture. It has components like beeswax, and glycerin for awesome styling. Get your jar at Ulta Beauty!
6. Drybar The Kicker Finishing Spray Wax
What you will love about this finishing spray hair wax is that it works on all hair types. Infused with natural extracts from honey and algae, it works to provide your hair with texture and make each strand very healthy and robust. Other ingredients allow you to achieve tousled beach waves with satin finish and soft dimension. Pick it up now at Sephora!
7. Matrix Style Link Perfect Over Achiever 3-In-1 Cream Paste Wax
This hair wax has all you need to get frizz far away from your mane. It makes your hair flexible enough to be reshaped and molded into any style. The formula is ideal for any hair length with a strong hold. One perk that you get is that it spreads like cream, so you can get it into your hair without worrying about stickiness. You can pick up a jar for yourself online at Ulta Beauty.
8. Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Styling Wax
‘A shiny and firm mane that never quits’ is the best description for this styling hair wax. The product is not only perfect to avoid frizz, but also it gives your hair flexible hold and great texture. You can be sure that ingredients like parabens, sulfates, and phthalates are absent in the mix. And instead, vegetable-based conditioners that work for flexible styling were used to make sure you get only the best. You can find this hair wax online at Ulta Beauty.
9. Kiehl’s Since 1851 Stylist Series Creative Cream Wax
Kiehl’s is a brand inspired by a rich heritage in the old-world apothecary, and their products are made with in-depth knowledge of their medicinal benefits. This cream hair wax is formulated with a blend of silk powder and natural extracts to provide strength and vitality to your hair. You can use it to control your style and rework your shape instantly. It is available for purchase through Sephora.
10. Bed Head Mini Manipulator
When choosing the best hair wax, you have to look through the list of ingredients to make sure that it is perfectly safe for you. And that is why we can say this product is great for your hair. With great components, you get to build your hair texture and fight off frizz. It also helps you prevent humidity and adds control. Get your jar from Ulta Beauty to test it!
11. Kenra Professional Platinum Working Wax 15
Your hair needs to be pliable enough to be reworked and firm to make sure it holds. These are the properties that this hair wax infuses in your hair. It is an excellent formula for all-day hair modification and matte finish. Get yours today at Ulta Beauty for strong and flexible texture!
Styling your hair can be very difficult when your strands are weak and frizzy. You won’t be able to get it to hold up long enough to achieve that beautiful style you saw in the fashion catalog. This is why you need a hair wax.
Hair wax is a thick hair styling product containing wax to help you give your hair a firm hold, shine and calm frizz. You can use it just before you braid your hair into a ponytail or show off your beautiful highlights.
Hair wax has been around for quite a while, but it has been getting more attention in recent years. Its significant benefit is its ability to remove frizz. Since the product blocks humidity and locks in moisture, there is no way your strands are getting dehydrated after using the product.
Hair waxes vary based on the consistency and what they do for your hair. Two of the major types of hair wax are mud wax and clay wax.
• Mud wax is fantastic for those that love a matte finish that comes with extreme hold and above average shine. It is made to give you a natural look while providing more flexibility and fuller texture. You will absolutely love this quality hair wax, and it’s a personal favorite for those who want that classic look that fits every occasion.
• Clay wax got its name from the natural clay usually present in the ingredients list. This type of hair wax is excellent for that messy look. It adds a ton of texture and volume to your mane making it feel fuller in both structure and body. For those with a thinning hairline, this is a perfect way to mask your hair type without weighing it down.
Hair gel, hair wax and some of the other styling product on store shelves can seem alike. They might even have some ingredients or benefits that are precisely the same, but they are actually different. Some brands also interchange their names, but you can check out the differences here so that you know exactly what you need to go for.
• Hair wax is used to describe products that give your hair a firm hold without making your hair greasy. There are no damaging ingredients included like alcohol, which will end up dehydrating and damaging your strands. And unlike other hair styling product, it is quite pliable and leaves your hair with a matte finish.
• Another similar product is the hair gel. Hair gel is translucent in color and is not as consistent as hair wax. It leaves your hair with a thick feeling after solidifying and looks wet. The ones that contain alcohol are not ideal for the health of your hair and can cause dehydration. You can choose to use the lightweight type, and it will give you a great hold with the added advantage of being able to wash out easily.
• There are also other hair styling products like hair pomade, cream, and spray. All of these are distinctly different from hair wax. While hair pomade gives you that ultra-slick and shiny look, a hair cream acts like a protective finishing touch, and different kinds of hair spray can be used to add texture, body and additional shine to your hairstyle.
Whether or not you have heard of hair wax before, you have undoubtedly seen that it has excellent benefits for your hair. You don’t need to panic if you can’t get to your hair stylist in time – just pick up a bottle of the best hair wax and you can get your hair into a neat, slick, and shiny edifice.
Here are all the benefits of hair wax:
• Works for Color-Treated Hair
Some hair styling products can be very harmful when you mix them with other hair care products like shampoo, conditioners or aren’t even suitable for color-treated hair. However, hair wax doesn’t belong to that category. It is universal and very efficient no matter the product you use it with. You will undoubtedly get a stunning result when you use it after shampooing your hair or apply keratin treatment.
• Washes out Easily
You don’t have to worry about washing out hair wax when you are using it to style your hair. It comes out more easily than gel and pomade, and the great thing about hair wax is that it doesn’t leave any flakes or greasiness.
• Easy to Apply
When applying hair wax, you don’t need any special tools. Just rub some of it on your hand and apply it to your hair. This means you can use it on the go, and you don’t need to plan your whole fashion purse around carrying tools. Just one bottle of hair wax, and you have all you need!
• Enhances Your Natural Texture
Hair wax is naturally good for adding texture and volume to your hair. For thin hair, it can help improve the volume of the strands thereby making your hair look thicker. You can also use it to get more control over the style of hair, without suffering any adverse effect.
With all the benefits that hair wax brings to the table, it doesn’t stop it from giving off some adverse effects when you don’t follow the directions. Some of these side effects include:
• Wax Build-up: Hair wax can begin to build up in your hair if you don’t wash it out really thoroughly. This is because wax can be insoluble in water and won’t wash out without a thorough shampooing. The hair would also look greasy due to wax build-up.
• Dry Scalp: Using too much hair wax can cause the hair to stop absorbing moisture totally, this would lead to dandruff and flakes, or itching and irritation. To avoid this, you should use the proper amount of hair wax (check the container of the product for directions).
Using a hair wax for your styling solution is easy. Depending on exactly what style you want, there are different steps to follow. We have some of the methods you can get out of a bottle of hair wax and also the directions. Before you jump into the steps, however, you need to get a bottle that has the level of hold you need for the particular hairstyle you want.
• The first thing to do is take a pea size of hair wax out of its bottle and rub it evenly across your palms.
• Apply it to your hair as you desire, until you feel you have the right amount.
• For flexible curls, apply the wax to the ends of your hair for springier and longer hold.
• For bed head styles, rub the wax across your hair before tousling your hair into that undone style. Then take each strand between your fingers and twirl.
• For adding volume, apply the wax close to the roots of your hair and finish the styling using a blow-dryer with a diffuser attachment.
Tips for Applying Hair Wax
• Check out the right type of hair wax for your hair type before getting one. You can ask your stylist for the hold level you need before going to search for one.
• You should also wait for your hair to get dry before applying it, because wax adheres more to dry hair.
• When spreading the hair wax, make sure it becomes thin and colorless before you stop applying it. Then move from the roots to the tips with your fingers.
• Avoid letting the wax touch your scalp, as it makes it more difficult to wash off.
• If you have applied enough wax to your hair and it still isn’t holding, try a hair spray, but only when necessary.
Photos via @natalieannehair, @amberjeanhair, @slaylorlane, @meettheladybarber, @alexbrownhair