Why do you worry about chapped or dry lips when there is what we call lip balms? Your lips are soft, delicate; they show us if you are worthy of a kiss. You should take care of them properly, and lip balm is one skincare product dedicated to that.
Using a lip balm, of course, is recommended. The problem is how to know the best lip balms and lip creams and how to not go astray. And if you answer that, what are the other benefits of using lip balms. Which ingredients should you look for?
Shall we answer all that? Follow us!
Best Lip Balms & Treatments to Cure Dry Lips: Contents
- 25 Best Lip Balms & Treatments for Chapped, Dry Lips
- How to Choose a Lip Balm That Will Work
- How Often and How to Use a Lip Balm
- Other Uses of Lip Balms
- 5 DIY Lip Balms to Heal Chapped Lips
Whether you want to cure dry lips or just want to protect your soft, healthy lips, these are 25 best lip balms and lip creams you should consider trying and always carrying in your bag!
1. Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment Sunscreen SPF 15
Perhaps you have heard about the benefits of nourishing oils. This lip balm is filled with such oils. Protect your lips from UV rays and more dangers, and moisturize them for long. You have one of the best lip balms that could deliver just that – if you give it one try, your lips will make you smile. It comes in 13 sheer soft colors at Sephora.
2. Jack Black Intense Therapy Lip Balm SPF 25
This lip balm is for treatment. Have your lips developed chap, or do they feel dry? Worry no more! You have to choose this emollient and change the appearance and health status of your lips. It is an antioxidant and conditioner in one tube. The ingredients include grapefruit, shea butter, avocado oil, and vitamin E. This lip balm also features SPF 25 to protect your lips from the UV rays. Pick it up from Sephora!
3. Drunk Elephant Lippe Balm
If you want youthful lips, this is one of the best lip balms to try! It is made of avocado, mongongo, cranberry, and marula oils. Those are its support that promises the lips to look younger, fresher and cuter. And antioxidants like green leaf tea add an extra dimension to the benefits. This ultra-moisturizing and volumizing lip balm from Drunk Elephant can be found online at Sephora.
4. Aveda Lip Saver Lip Balm
This lip balm is a lip saver for dry, chapped lips. These are the benefits: lasting moisturizing, soothing and refreshing of the lips. It does that with the help of cinnamon leaf, clove, and nourishing oils. Everything can be grouped into two – natural oils and natural waxes. They form the best lip balm you can find at Nordstrom.
5. Kopari Coconut Lip Glossy
With the powerful effects of squalane derived from olives and shea butter, this lip balm changes your world for your lips. Is it the dullness or the appearance that annoys you? 100% organic coconut oils ensure soft, hydrated lips. This clear-colored, vegan lip gloss can be picked up from Sephora.
6. First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Lip Therapy
The first aid you need for your damaged, chapped lips is a lip balm like this one. Talk of a soothing, hydrating and nourishing product with a semi-matte non-slip finish. The result is remarkable and the ingredients – shea butter and colloidal oat – are great to have been used in one product. Get it from Sephora!
7. Lanolips 101 Ointment Multipurpose Superbalm
When it’s time to seal in moisture, call on this lip balm. It is made for dry lips, skin patches, cuticles and nasal passages. It doesn’t matter how dry the lips are, the hydration is one to reckon with. Thanks to its 100% natural, award-winning formula! You can find it online at Nordstrom.
8. First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Intensive Lip Balm
This lip balm certainly banishes uneven texture and dryness. Rich, buttery and long-lasting, use and feel relief, smoothness and nourished. The natural honey attracts and keeps humectants locked into your lips. And there is one way to enjoy more than this benefit. Get the product from Sephora!
9. Caudalie Lip Conditioner
Caudalie has active ingredients included in its lip balm. And you don’t want to miss on that. Your lips will tell. The ingredients are apricot oils, balm leaf oils and grape seed polyphenols, which have repairing benefits as antioxidants. One of the best lip balms, it comes for sale at Sephora.
10. C.O Bigelow Rose Salve Lip Balm
Get this lip balm and feel the conditioning effect of rose extract. Enjoy the overall hydrating feelings form all the ingredients. With this product, your lips are kept hydrated throughout the day. And of course, the skin remains beautiful. Always! It’s available for purchase at Nordstrom.
11. Tatcha Camelia Gold Spun Lip Balm
Do you want a 23-karat golden shimmer over your lips? This is the lip balm that guarantees such an appearance. It doesn’t feature parabens, sulfate or any of those harmful ingredients. Instead, it is formulated with the aged and trusted Japanese camellia oil of geisha. Your lips will glow, we promise. Hurry up to try it – it’s available at Sephora!
12. Farmacy Honey Butter Beeswax Lip Balm
One of the best lip balms, it has many ingredients like no other one. With a blend of Echinacea GreenEnvy honey, beeswax, royal jelly, propolis, cupuacu butter, cocoa butter and many oils, this product moisturizes, nourishes, protects and beautifies your lips non-stop. Pick it up from Sephora!
13. Jane Iredale LipDrink Lip Balm Broad Spectrum SPF 15
Think of this product as a drink for your lips! You are feeding your lips. Antioxidant green tea extract, vitamin E and C, lemon and orange oils unite to make it one of the best lip balms. It is recommended as lip sunscreen as well due to the SPF 15 contained. Find it online at Nordstrom!
14. Rosebud Perfume Co. Menthol & Eucalyptus Lip Balm
We love the scent of this lip balm. It smells menthol and eucalyptus. The product also comes in an easy-to-use tube that makes the use as simple as eating sliced cakes. Use and heal chapped lips, anything like razor burns, and minor skin irritations. Camphor oils nourish the lips deeply. You are left with soft lips with a nice smell. Get it from Sephora!
15. Omorovicza Perfecting Lip Balm
Reviving and nourishing in its power, this lip balm is what you need every day. Your lips feel full and soft after use. The lip cream is rich in ingredients like shea butter, eucalyptus oil, and hyaluronic acid. That is just a cup out of the sea of ingredients. Check the case and see the complete list. You won’t experience dry lips again. Pick it up from Nordstrom!
16. Sara Happ The Lip Slip One Luxe Balm
Perhaps you think your lip color is gone. Think again! This time, think about this rich lip balm. It will change the lip color to a new glow. It is glossy, hydrating. And a team of nourishing ingredients does justice to the lip appearance. Use before going to bed and wake up to soft, beautiful lips. During the day, keep your lips exfoliated and soft. Choose this lip balm available at Nordstrom!
17. La Mer The Lip Balm
If you love your lips, you will choose a safe product. This lip balm is safe. It is a calming and conditioning lip product that restores the appearance of dry lips. Miracle Broth concentration is a special feature that nurtures and pampers the lips for a fresh appearance. Try it, too! It’s available at Sephora.
18. Bobbi Brown Lip Balm
The first attraction of this lip balm is the polished silver tin. Those lips of yours will be enriched with beeswax, aloe vera and other essential ingredients the product carries. Apply with pressure and blend it into your lips with your fingers to see things change. This is one of the best lip balms, available for purchase at Nordstrom.
19. L’Occitane Moisturizing Lip Balm
When we say it is ultra-rich, we mean it. This lip balm contains 10% shea butter, carnauba and beeswax. It is the perfect base for your lipstick. The hydration power is one of a kind. So you don’t feel dry lips during the day. Banish chapped lips forever and maintain optimum smoothness and softness. Pick this lip balm up from Sephora!
20. Supergoop! ‘AcaiFusion’ Lip Balm SPF 30
Steer clear of danger and cruel ingredients. This lip balm brings your lips a beautiful fragrance so you become one step more kissable. It hydrates the skin and keeps it fresh. And finally, it forms a shield that protects your lips form external damages, such as the sun UV rays. It can be found online at Nordstrom.
21. GlamGlow POUTMUD Wet Lip Balm Treatment
Have a look at the ingredients of this lip balm – sweet almond oil, cocoa butter, murumuru butter, shea butter, tamanu oil, and babassu oil. Fair enough, these are the right ingredients you can get to cure dry lips. Your lips will be hydrated, nourished, and protected. You will glow, build radiance and develop smoothness. Pick this lip cream up from Sephora!
22. Sun Bum Sunscreen Lip Balm SPF 30
We have said it earlier, lip balms are recommended for your lips, especially ones that feature sunscreen. If you haven’t chosen any already, then, you should see the benefits of this product. This lip balm is super protective – against wind damaged and against the sun rays. You should try it. It’s available for purchase at Ulta Beauty.
23. Kiehl’s Since 1851 Kiehl’s Lip Balm #1
The best lip balm isn’t unnecessarily expensive. It delivers what the brand promised. And what they promised is what you want. You want nourished lips, soft, succulent and kissable. This is the best lip balm. It is formulated with squalanea, lanolin, wheat germ oil and vitamin E. Find it online at Sephora!
24. EOS Smooth Sphere Lip Balm
Is it how this lip balm glides easily? Or how it brings out a renewed lip appearance? For protection, your lips are covered against UV/ UVB rays. The flavor is 100% natural. It is formulated with vitamin E, shea butter, and jojoba oil. This is important because your lips would respond well to the touch. Get one of the four flavors from Ulta Beauty now!
25. Neutrogena Lip Moisturizer
When your lips feel like starved, you have a wide range of lip balms to choose from. But listen to a simple one. Choose this affordable product and forget about dry, chapped lips. Your choice secures the dream you want for your lips. It is available for sale at Ulta Beauty.
Lips are fragile, susceptible to dryness and other damage. You know it isn’t the same in appearance as other parts of your body. The skin on the lips doesn’t have the protective sebaceous glands. Nor does it have sweat glands that could secrete waste in form of sweat.
To choose a lip balm or lip cream that will work, it is time to answer some questions.
• What is the status of your lips? Dry, soft or damaged?
• What flavor do you love?
• And what do you want?
When it comes to ‘what you want,’ it goes hand in hand with the status of your lips. Dry lips want to be soft and hydrated, damaged lips would want to be repaired, so a medicated lip balm would be a good choice, and soft lips would want to maintain the appearance.
Buy Lip Balms That Give Benefits
If you read the case of some lip balms and lip creams, the description matches exactly what you want. Since you are paying from your wallet, then be very selective. You want the best for your money – the best for your lips. If the benefit doesn’t fit you, toss it out. If it fits your wishes, buy it.
Remember, the benefits of lip balms and treatments vary slightly. The general ones are:
• To nourish your lips;
• Provide treatment;
• Protect against damage;
• And flavor.
Multitasking Lip Products Rock
They could work for your lips and skin. Again, it boils down to what you want.
The Best Ingredients to Look for
The common ones have been mentioned in the section above. But as a recap, here are a few important ingredients in a good lip balm: beeswax, shea butter, jojoba oil, glycerin, dimethicone, ceramides, etc. Also give your preference to lip balms with SPF to protect your lips from the UV rays.
They are more than that, of course. Individual products depend on special ingredients to bring out their different effects.
Harmful Ingredients to Avoid in a Lip Balm
• Some good ingredients, like menthol, camphor, and phenol also contribute to dryness.
• Artificial colors and fragrances can be responsible for your lip irritation.
• Salicylic acid, aloe butter, and vitamin E can cause irritation.
Generally, the effect can be due to the user’s allergies and skin reaction, especially when it comes to the ingredients in the last group.
Use your lip balm every day. Apply it in the morning after brushing your teeth. Repeat in the noon after lunch, and then one more time at night, before going to bed and let the magic work overnight.
The idea is applicable to usage that spells between nourishing, healing and hydrating your lips. But when you decide to use it as a base for lipstick, which is a good idea, then you should use your lip balm for as often as you use a lipstick.
Every time you use a lip scrub to exfoliate lips, make sure to apply a lip balm or lip cream to hydrate them.
Lip balms aren’t for the lips alone, if you don’t know. They can be used for other things that would make your jaw drop. Other uses of lips balms include:
• To Tame Flyaways: So your hair is dry and untamed? Rub some lip balm in your palm and apply it to the hair.
• Under-Eye Cream: Because it has rich and natural ingredients and could hydrate, use it as under-the-eye cream. You will like it.
• Eyebrow Wax: Use your lip balm as an eyebrow wax to tame unruly brows.
• To Prevent Hair Dye Smudges: Before you start the hair dyeing process, apply some lip balm on the hairline scalp. It would prevent the scalp from getting stained.
• As Cuticle Cream: It is as simple as that – you can use lip balm as a cuticle cream.
• To Remove Sticker Residue: When you have sticker residue to remove, and it’s frustrating, pick up some lip balm.
• Remove Mascara Smudges: That is another stain lip balm could remove. Wipe some lip balm on it as a base and see a clean surface.
• As Eyeshadow: Bring the same brightness you see on your lips to the eyelids. Apply some on the lid with your finger. Add your favorite eyeshadow over it and seal the appearance.
• Increase the Duration of Your Perfume: Before you apply perfume, apply some lip balm on the area you want to perfume. The smell will last longer than ever!
• Tint Your Cheeks or Illuminate Your Face: Apply a little tinted lip balm on areas such as cheeks instead of a blush. You could use it to mask stains on the face as well.
• Prevent Manicure Smudges: Before you settle down for manicures, rub some lip balm on your cuticles and around the nails to prevent smudges.
• Prevent Blisters: Applying lip balms on the legs will increase friction and prevent blisters.
• As Highlighter: Where do you want to bring shine to your face? Apply lip balm there to make your face glow.
So if you like to experiment and prefer natural products, here we present 5 easy DIY lip balms and lip creams you can make at home.
DIY Lime Lip Balm
The ingredients are a few, yet beneficial – think of lime essential and cocoa butter.
• 2 tbsp of coconut oil
• 2 tsp of cocoa butter
• 2 tsp of beeswax
• 2 tsp of almond oil
• 10 to 15 drops of lime essential oil
• Pour the coconut oil, cocoa butter, beeswax and almond oil into a double boiler. Heat it on low temperature for a while. Stir and let it melt.
• Remove from heat.
• Put the lime essential oil in the mixture and stir. Withdraw from heat.
• Transfer the balm into jars and let cool for an hour, then cover with a lid. Use and finish in 3 months.
DIY Coconut Oil Lip Balm
Talk of a simple process and a lip balm that is candle-like in appearance!
• 1/8 cup of coconut oil
• ¼ cup of beeswax
• 1/8 cup of shea butter
• 1 tsp of coconut or vanilla extract
• ¼ cup of rose petals (fresh or dried). You can choose a different flower or herb.
• 1 tsp of sweet almond oil
• Pour all the ingredients in a small saucepan. Microwave for 30 seconds, check and continue until it’s completely melted. Or heat on low temperature until melted.
• Add petals and stir.
• Transfer into sanitized containers of your choice
• Let it cool completely and use.
Homemade Raspberry Lip Balm
Want a natural lip balm that’s also delicious? Here’s an excellent recipe for you!
• 1-2 tbsp of coconut oil
• ½ tbsp of ground freeze-dried raspberries
• ½-1 tsp of beeswax for a firmer consistency
• Using a coffee grinder, turn raspberries into a fine powder.
• Melt the coconut oil and beeswax together in a double broiler.
• Add the ground freeze-dried raspberries. Stir to combine.
• Now it is ready. You can now transfer it into a container with a lid.
• Let it rest till it hardens.
DIY Tinted Lip Balm
Of course, you can also make a lively tinted lip balm that could give the right touch of color to your lips along with the moisturizing and nourishing properties.
• 6 tbsp of organic coconut oil (it could be olive oil or shea butter)
• 2 tbsp of beeswax granules
• 1 ½ tsp of organic beetroot powder or hibiscus powder for tint
• Optional: 30 drops of your favorite essential oils
• Melt the coconut oil and beeswax in a double boiler over medium heat, stirring often until it’s all the way melted.
• Put the essentials oils and tint powder.
• Add a small amount of the liquid into each tube. Do it carefully, but not too slowly, the mixture can harden.
• Let it cool for about an hour
• Use as you would a regular lip balm.
DIY Imitation Burt’s Bees Lip Balm
What about recreating your favorite lip balm from a beloved brand? Here is how you should go!
• 2 tbsp of beeswax pastilles
• 2 tbsp of shea butter
• 2 tbsp of coconut oil
• 30 or more drops of peppermint essential oil
• Melt the beeswax, shea butter and coconut oil in a double boiler. You can also use a small glass bowl over a small pot of boiling water. Stir from time to time until it melts.
• Remove the pan from heat but keep over the still-hot water to keep the mixture melted.
• Choose the essential oils and add according to your taste. You can apply some on your arm to test if it is satisfactory.
• After that, use a dropper to fill the lip balm tubes. Be fast, lest the mixture should harden.
• Let it cool for hours before you cover.
Photos via @beautystealsinward, @praguienne, @elisabethjhayes, @kristinabazan