Get excited because metallic lips are making a comeback! This throwback has returned to grace us with all of the glitzy glory with an upgrade. We’re no longer limited to the basic frosty metal shades for metallic lipsticks. We live in an age where we can choose our level of drama.
Will you choose a subtle metallic lip color or go dramatic and bright? It’s up to you, so if you’re going to keep up with the runway trends, check out our list of the best metallic lipsticks to try and add one (or five) to your makeup bag!
Your Metallic Lipstick Guide: Contents
- 19 Best Metallic Lipstick Colors to Try
- How to Wear Metallic Lipstick Like a Star
- Dos and Don’ts of Metallic Lipstick
From deeper, more saturated colors to universally flattering shades, find 19 of the most gorgeous metallic lipstick options that will help you channel the ‘90s.
1. Tom Ford Extreme Lip Spark Lipstick in 02 Surge
The metallic description always brings to mind cool-toned shades, but not with this shade from Tom Ford. Surge is a coppery, rose gold shade that is packed with metallic shimmer that is sure to dazzle with fashion for every season. Think “nude,” but with a spark of something special. When Tom Ford says “extreme,” you can be sure that it is not an exaggeration. You can pick this metallic lipstick shade up at Sephora!
2. MAC Fireworks Drama Blast Lipstick in Kiss of Stars
This shade will have you rethinking everything you’ve ever known about metallic lipstick. First of all, the actual lipstick is engraved with stars to put the “fireworks” in “Fireworks Drama Blast Lipstick.” This sweet pastel pink shade has a pearlized, mildly glossy finish. Kiss of Stars is creamy on the lips and sets you up for the perfect soft pink moment. Get it at MAC or Nordstrom!
3. Charlotte Tilbury Superstar Lips Lipstick in Pillow Talk Diamonds
Keep it sheer and elegant with the glittery, diamond-like finish of this pink lipstick topper. This is perfect to top any lip color that you feel needs a kiss of something extra or over your nude lips for a touch of glamour that only Charlotte Tilbury could provide! You can find this metallic lipstick at Sephora.
4. Too Faced Melted Matte-tallics Liquid Lipstick in Caffeine Queen
Combine the nourished looking finish of a bullet lipstick with the staying power of a liquid lippie and you have the Melted Matte-tallic liquid lipstick. Caffeine Queen is a metallic coffee brown that is the perfect statement lip without being too dark. This formula is a force to be reckoned with because it dries down without looking or feeling dry! Be a Caffeine Queen and pick this metallic lipstick shade up at Nordstrom!
5. Surratt Beauty Prismatique Lips in Lamé 2
Metallic lip toppers are an absolute favorite of ours, so here’s another one from Surratt Beauty! The Prismatique lipstick in Lamé 2 is made with ultra-reflective Japanese pigments. It’ll look good over an opaque lipstick or over the bare lips for a sheer golden glow. Get it at Net-a-Porter!
6. Smashbox Always On Matte Liquid Lipstick in So Jelly
This metallic lipstick is for all the bold babes out there! This metallic fuchsia shade will give you 8 hours of metallic pink perfection without getting flaky or feathering along the lip line. So, Jelly works great on its own with an opaque finish, but can also be used as a topper for other shades to create your own product. We love a versatile lippie! You can find this pink beauty at Sephora!
7. Yves Saint Laurent Tatouage Couture Metallics Liquid Lipstick in 103 Tribal Copper
You may be thinking that metallics are a bit too wild for Yves Saint Laurent, but you’d be mistaken! This is a high-fashion, sophisticated twist on metallic lipsticks. It’s high-pigment, has comfortable long-wear, and dries down instantly! Also, the applicator on this lippie is so unique that makes it easy to follow the curves of your lips to get the product exactly where you want it. Go to Nordstrom to add this shade to your collection.
8. Urban Decay Vice Lipstick in Ready?
Trust me. You’re ready for this metallic lipstick! Ready? is a bright sparkly rose shade that applies so smoothly to give you all-over opaque color that will make your lips the highlight of your look! All of the Urban Decay Vice lipsticks are formulated to be super nourishing on the lips, so it’s a party on the outside and a spa on the underside. Find this at Sephora!
9. Christian Louboutin Metalinudes Loubilaque Lip Lacquer in Preciosa
This lip lacquer from the ultimate luxury brand Christian Louboutin is a pale shimmery pink that will give your lips a barely-there touch of color. The color is packed full of shimmer, but won’t leave your lips feeling gritty. Also, it would be a crime not to mention that the packaging is hands-down the most glamorous packaging I’ve ever seen! You can pick this metallic lipstick up at Nordstrom.
10. Uoma Beauty Black Magic Metallic Shine Lipstick in Allure
Allure is a metallic deep violet shade that looks out of this world. The shine looks like it’s infused with loose glitter, and is sure to give your lips tons of attention. You can purchase this bold metallic lipstick shade at Ulta.
11. Kat Von D Everlasting Glimmer Veil Liquid Lipstick in Rocker
Kat Von D may be known as the beauty industry’s resident goth, but this metallic lipstick shade is a gorgeous copper with a gold glimmer. KVD’s lippies are known for having super long-wear, so wear this for 24 hours of shimmering shine. Find it at Sephora!
12. MAC Retro Matte Metallic Liquid Lipcolor in Crowned
MAC Cosmetics is the reigning supreme of lip colors and they definitely hold their own with Crowned! This metallic lipstick shade is intense, but glamorous. It is a deep metallic mauve that dries matte and gives you extreme long-wear. Get this at Nordstrom!
13. Marc Jacobs Beauty Le Marc Lip Crème Lipstick in Detox
We’ve talked about a lot of metallic lipstick shades that are lip toppers, but this one is a perfectly opaque cool frosty taupe shade. This shade is super long-wearing, super opaque, and the bullet packaging is so sassy and cute! Find it at Sephora!
14. Lime Crime Velvetines Metallic Liquid Lipstick in Eclipse
This metallic lipstick will have your lips looking like a shimmering glass of merlot. Inspired by rose petals, this deep red shade goes on opaque and dries down to a velvety matte lipstick. It stays put all day for a shining dramatic look. Get this at Nordstrom!
15. Milk Makeup Lip Metal in Slayer
Our favorite cool brand, Milk gives us major electric berry vibes. This is the best metallic lipstick line in three shades that are all lightweight while delivering tons of pigment. This formula is definitely a diversion from the “wearable metallics” with a dramatic foil finish. Find it at Sephora!
16. Touch In Sol Metallist Liquid Foil Lipstick Duo in Dyllis
Dyllis is a muted warm pink shade that can be worn in two ways! The double-sided container has a matte side and a metallic side. Go intensely metallic or wear a softer look by switching which side you apply first. This metallic lipstick duo is available online only at Ulta!
17. Ciaté London Glitter Storm Lipstick in Elektra
This electric purple shade comes in a sparkling bullet that is just as dazzling as the metallic finish. Elektra makes a bold statement without being drying or uncomfortable. If you’re feeling over the top, this is the best metallic lipstick shade for you. Find it at Sephora!
18. NYX Professional Makeup Cosmic Metals Lip Cream in Comets Tail
NYX is hands-down the best value for the price point. Comets Tail in their Cosmic Metals collection is a bright blue that will make your lips look galactic. This metallic lipstick color is opaque and glossy, so it never dries down if you’re not a fan of the velvet matte trend. Get it online only at Ulta!
19. Huda Beauty Liquid Matte Lipstick in Socialite
Socialite is a peachy nude with rose gold flakes for an ultra-wearable metallic lip makeup look. The Huda Beauty lipsticks dry down to a velvet matte finish, and claim to be transfer-proof. Find this wearable option at Sephora!
If you’ve applied lipstick before, this process shouldn’t be too unfamiliar. You’ll apply your metallic lipstick like a regular one, but we have a few suggestions to take your application to the next level.
• Start by prepping your lips with a lip scrub and balm. We love the Clinique Sweet Pots because they come with both in one product! Even though metallic lips have a shiny finish, they dry down to a velvet matte. If you have dry and flaky lips, it will affect the final look.
• Decide what look you’re trying to achieve with your metallic lipstick. For an ombre look, you can go around the edges of your look with a darker matte lipstick, then focus your metallic lipstick around the center.
• For a dramatic electric look, use a bold metallic lipstick all over. Don’t hold back choosing a shade. You want your lips to be the center of attention!
• For a day-to-day look, use a lip liner slightly darker than your skin tone to line your lips, then go all over with a neutral metallic lipstick shade. This will give your lips a little extra glitz without being overpowering. Perfect for an office-appropriate matte lip!
• Apply your metallic lipstick slowly! Rushing to put on a metallic lipstick will always result in a mess because of the glitter. Take your time. Start closest to your lip line, then work your way in. If your lip color dries down to a matte finish, be sure to let it dry down before doing anything to get the full long-wear effect.
• Do keep the rest of your makeup minimal. Metallic lipsticks work like a centerpiece. Keep the rest of your look clean to make sure it gets the attention it deserves.
• Don’t go crazy on the highlighter. This is a staple in so many makeup routines, but I’d advise against it. Having a completely matte face will give the metallic lips the contrast they need to stand out to their fullest potential.
• Do set the area around your mouth with powder. This is especially for those metallic lipsticks that don’t dry down. Setting the area around your mouth makes sure that no lip product is tempted to mix with a complexion product and helps with the contrast between your lips and your face.
• Don’t default to applying your metallic lipstick with the brush it came with. It’s tempting. We know. But things can get seriously messy with metallic lipsticks (any lipstick, really)! Try using a lip brush from your kit to apply your lipstick for more precise application.
• Do clean up around your mouth with concealer after applying. Metallic lipstick has to look precise or it looks like a mess. Clean up any mistakes with your matte concealer to take some of the pressure off of application! Don’t forget to blend that concealer out.
Photos via @daryna_barykina, @kmctcreative