When that midday shine shows up on your skin, blotting papers can always come to the rescue! Blotting papers are a must in every purse, especially if you happen to live in a hot climate or to have oily skin. These delicate sheets are able to quickly mattify the skin without loading the face up with more makeup, and without disturbing the makeup you’re already wearing!
While blotting sheets are not a solution for oiliness or acne, they are an excellent and easy cosmetic remedy to a common issue.
I’ve gathered the best blotting papers on the market, for you to pick your favorite. I also explain exactly what blotting papers are and how they work. I’ll make sure you learn how to use blotting sheets correctly, and I’ll even give some tips for other unique uses for blotting sheets!
Best Blotting Papers and Tips for Using Them: Contents
Concerned about your makeup melting in the summer heat? Here you have the best blotting papers to carry in your bag and keep your look fresh!
1. Tatcha Aburatorigami Japanese Blotting Papers
These all-natural blotting papers are made with abaca leaf – an absorbent plant that lifts oil, sweat, and debris from the skin. They are also infused with gold leaf, for an extra touch of luxury that you may or may not find “extra”. These large blotting sheets work quickly without disturbing the makeup, and they leave the skin looking soft and not overly matte. You can buy these blotting papers from Sephora.
2. Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Invisimatte Blotting Paper
Fenty is all about crafting well-appreciated beauty products with an innovative twist. These blotting papers work well to eliminate oil and leave the skin with a matte finish. What makes it special is the container it comes in – this durable plastic tube is chic and easy to carry, and it even has a mirror to ensure the perfect touch-up.
The paper itself is rolled inside the tube as a continuous sheet that can be easily torn off so you can choose the perfect size for your blotting needs. This blotting sheet is sold at Sephora.
3. DHC Blotting Paper
Hemp products are having their day in the light, and these blotting papers are no different. These sheets are made of all-natural hemp fiber, which works surprisingly well to take oil and shine away from the skin. The packaging is small and easy to carry, so it seems miraculous that it can hold 100 sheets. You can order these online via Dermstore.
4. Boscia Clear Complexion Blotting Linens
This is another take on blotting papers made of abaca leaf. They also contain skin-soothing willow bark extract to keep the skin clear – this is why people with oily and acne-prone skin tend to adore them! They also have a fresh scent that people enjoy. They are available for sale at Sephora.
5. Shiseido Oil-Control Blotting Paper
This is a slightly different take on blotting papers that deposit a touch of powder on to the skin to help blot oils. They are made of cellulose gum, and include kaolin clay to absorb oils. Pick these up at Nordstrom!
6. Sephora Collection Blotting Papers
These classy blotting papers from Sephora leave no residue behind as they remove that midday shine from the skin. They come in a few different versions, with different fragrances and with some more mattifying than others. You can find these blotting papers at Sephora.
7. NYX Professional Makeup Blemish Control Blotting Paper
These delicate blotting papers from NYX do the job, helping to mattify the skin without disrupting makeup. They come in three versions: tea tree, green tea, and blemish control, so you can choose the one that will suit your skin type best. These blotting sheets are available at Ulta.
8. Too Cool for School Dinoplatz Brachiosaurus Blotting Paper
This fun and unique take on blotting papers comes in the cutest packaging, with a graphic design that will make you feel so cool as you blot your skin, even in public! This all-natural blotting paper comes in a plastic case with a mirror that also contains a puff that holds the blotting papers, making for a more luxurious and easy experience. Buy these blotting sheets online through Revolve!
9. 100% Pure Oil Blotting Paper
These gentle, all-natural blotting papers are made of wood pulp and a touch of hemp oil, to keep the skin looking clear and matte, but still glowing. They clear all oils from the skin but ensure that makeup stays looking perfect. Get these blotting sheets from Revolve!
10. Morihata Charcoal Oil Blotting Papers
These bamboo blotting sheets come in a sleek packaging that you’ll feel confident carrying around. They are infused with charcoal powder to further clarify the skin and absorb oils, making sure to leave the skin looking matte. These blotting papers are sold at Revolve.
11. Clarins Pore Perfecting Blotting Paper Refills
Made with wood pulp, these natural blotting papers are soft to the touch and do an impeccable job of blotting the skin to remove excess oils. The firm package is classy and easy to carry for on-the-go blotting. They are available for sale at Bloomingdale’s.
Blotting papers are thin sheets of cosmetic paper, usually made of some sort of natural plant pulp, that are able to absorb oils. They are a super useful item to have in your makeup bag or purse, because they are the perfect way to remove oil and shine from the skin throughout the day, even if you are already wearing makeup.
This is because blotting sheets manage to absorb the excess oil without having any impact on the makeup, which remains looking flawless. The great thing about blotting papers is that they remove excess oils without drying out the skin, and some are more absorbent than others, so you can opt for a very matte look or for a glowing look that isn’t greasy.
If you have oily or combination skin that gets shiny throughout the day, you will find blotting papers super useful. Blotting sheets can also help those who live in a hot climate, as they are also able to remove the shine caused by sweat throughout the day.
Using blotting papers is actually super easy! You can use them regardless of whether you are wearing makeup or not.
• Dispense a single sheet from your container.
• Gently press it against your face, covering the larger areas that need to be mattified, like the forehead, cheeks, and chin.
• Be careful not to wipe, as this can remove your makeup.
• Then fold your blotting sheet in half, and press it over and against the sides of your nose, to eliminate the shine over there.
• Repeat these steps as necessary.
• Once done, throw your blotting sheet away. Some natural blotting papers are compostable, so dispense with them appropriately.
• After blotting, if necessary, you may choose to touch up your makeup.
Are you trying to decide between using blotting papers, or simply carrying blotting powder with you? I’ll try and make that decision easy by explaining how the two work and what the differences are.
Blotting powders work to eliminate shine and to absorb oils from the skin as they are applied to the skin. This means that you cover your skin in powder, which absorbs the oil into it but remains on the skin. This gives the skin a matte finish and also an added layer of makeup.
For some people, this can leave behind a “cakey” or overly made up look, while for others it can actually help perfect their makeup. This depends on how you like your makeup to look, and on how your skin responds to powder.
Blotting papers, on the other hand, absorb the oils from the skin and then lift them away from the skin, without leaving behind a residue. This is much better for those who don’t want to change or add to their makeup at all. It is also a great way for those who don’t wear makeup at all to remove shine from their skin.
While blotting papers have a clear primary purpose, they are actually not a one-use product! You can get creative, and find that blotting sheets have some fabulous additional uses.
• Blotting papers are perfect for mattifying the lips! This can turn your satin-finish lipsticks into matte lipsticks in a second, and effectively double your lipstick collection! After applying your lipstick, simply blot it with the blotting sheets for that perfect matte pout.
• After having a chat, you can use blotting sheets to clean your phone screen. We all know about that greasy, makeup-tinged residue our phone screen collects after we’ve used it for a chat. A quick wipe with blotting papers will eliminate that right away.
• In a pinch, you can also use blotting papers on your hair instead of dry shampoo. Press them at the base of your scalp to absorb a bit of that scalp grease, and buy you a few more hours before you have to go for a wash.
• You can use blotting papers as a stand in for face powder. They will help absorb the moisture and oils from your foundation, to give you a matte finish without the use of any powder. Powder does a better job of extending foundation’s longevity, but some people find that no matter what, powder looks cakey on their skin, in which case this can be an adequate alternative.
• If you are a fan of all-cream makeup products, including cream blushes and eyeshadows, you can use blotting sheets to help blend and set these products without the use of powders or sponges. Blotting sheets give the perfect light blending for cream blushes and shadows, and they help to slightly mattify them in order to give give them extra longevity without the use of setting powders.
Photos via @lenafrankyy, @christinekozov, @aliandreeamakeup