Sea salt spray is one perfect product for those that love beachy hair waves. This lovely classification of products actually creates the same effect for your hair as you will get if you take a dip in the ocean. Primarily made with drying ingredients, sea sprays tend to soak up the grease in your hair and cause it to get a lot of wavy texture and layers.
With sea salt spray, you could recreate that same look you get at the beach every summer even without getting to the beach. Our today’s article is all about sea salt spray with the best products included, as well as tips on choosing, using and DIYing your perfect beach wave spray.
Your Guide to Sea Salt Spray/ Beach Wave Spray: Contents
• 19 Best Sea Salt Sprays for Perfect Beachy Waves
• What Is Sea Salt Spray and What Does It Do to Your Hair?
• Pros and Cons of Using Beach Wave Spray
• How to Choose the Right Sea Salt Spray for Your Hair Type
• How to Use Sea Salt Spray to Get Beachy Waves
• How to DIY Sea Salt Spray for Soft Wavy Hair
Not only in summer can you get beachy waves, as with the help of these sea salt sprays and surf sprays it would be a piece of cake to style effortless summer beach waves even in fall and winter.
1. Ouai Wave Spray
Getting timeless summer beachy waves can be very difficult to maintain all through the year. Thanks to the right type of hair care product, this is quite possible to achieve. This sea salt spray is a weightless texture mist that creates a perfect ‘weekend at the beach’ look for you.
It is made with rice protein, coconut water, glycerin, and other essential ingredients to strengthen your strands and make you sparkle with that chic look all day long. Pick it up at Sephora!
2. Verb Sea Spray
Enhancing your hair with sea sprays creates an absolutely fabulous look that you will certainly love. This sea spray contains natural sea salt (and ingredients such as green tea extract, sunflower seed extract, and hydrolyzed quinoa protein) to give your hair a breezy texture and to add volume for more plump. What’s more, it is just as effective for all hair types (including natural hair), since it contains moisturizers to hydrate your hair strands. It is available at Sephora.
3. Not Your Mother’s Beach Babe Texturizing Sea Salt Spray
It is a cool name, right? Well, the sea salt spray is even cooler. With sea salt and fragrance to give your hair a very nice and tousled look, this will help you look like you live at a seaside resort all year round. There is also the addition of sea kelp for that extra oomph just for your hair. Many other essential ingredients are also present in this wonder bottle to create beachy waves. Shop it online at Ulta Beauty!
4. Bumble and Bumble Surf Infusion
Surf sprays are becoming more popular by the day. This surf infusion has mineral complexes that enhance the texture of your hair while keeping it shiny with a lovable finish. The presence of conditioning formula is an additional feature that you will surely love. Whenever you need your hair to have that soft, untidy look with enough sheen, just grab a bottle of Surf Infusion by Bumble and Bumble from Sephora.
5. Herbivore Sea Mist Coconut + Sea Salt Beach Wave Hair Mist
This is one sea salt spray that works for all kinds of hair. From straight to wavy and even tightly coiled, you simply cannot go wrong with your beach look when you choose this sea spray.
It contains a blend of ingredients such as aloe vera, sea salt, vanilla extract, lime essential oil, and coconut pulp. Your hair will look healthy and balanced and will also embrace that beachy texture that your desire. Do note that this product is only available online at Sephora.
6. Drybar Mai Tai Spritzer Sea Salt Spray
This product by Drybar is a sea salt spray that is very good for your hair no matter what type. It is enriched with natural sea salt, aloe vera, avocado oil, critic acid, and algae extract to give your hair a lovely texture and the right volume while making the hair smell wonderful. There are no formulas that damage or cause hair breakage in this sea salt spray so what you have at the end of using it is soft hair and a matte finish. Grab a bottle for you at Sephora!
7. AG Hair Sea Spray
This sea salt spray stands out for the infusion of three naturally occurring seaweed to give your hair a wonderful texture, and seaberry oil to keep it healthy and stop hair loss. With the wonderful protein complex in this bottle, your hair will be strong and have a perfect tousled finish. Get it from Ulta Beauty!
8. Captain Blankenship Mermaid Sea Salt Hair Spray
Watching the way Ariel’s hair looks perfect in The Little Mermaid makes you fall in love with her in an instance. But, why wish for something you can have? This sea salt spray creates the same type of perfectly tousled look for your hair. With this, it would look like you are underwater while walking around.
This special effect is created by the aloe vera and sea kelp extract in the spray. Without gluten, it is also hypoallergenic so you do not need to worry about having allergies. One of the best sea salt sprays, this bottle can be found for purchase online at Sephora.
9. Tarte Mermaid Waves Salt Spray
Here is another sea salt spray that creates that ‘under the sea’ look for your hair. The spray works for all hair types and is vegan hair texturizer loaded with sea salt for carefree mermaid waves. It is also free of talc, alcohol and even synthetic fragrance; so, if you are a naturalist, this is one great option for you. You can get it from Sephora now.
10. French Girl Sea Spray
Made by a brand that is inspired by effortless beauty, this sea salt spray features organic ingredients. There are three varieties of organic sea salt in the bottle and several essential ingredients that will keep your hair looking soft and all with an effortless touch. When you use this product, you will have that same look that says you just spent a long weekend enjoying the waves of French Riviera waters. It is available for purchase at Revolve.
11. Reverie MARE Mediterranean Sea Mist
Products that have the clean seal at Sephora are made with ingredients that users would most likely avoid. But, you can get a sea salt spray that contains vanilla, lemon, and almond to give you the ‘southern Italian beach’ look. Additionally, the spray is made of rice seed extract and algae extract for your hair to have more volume, strength and amplified texture. There is no hair type that you cannot use it on to have that French girl texture. So grab a bottle from Sephora to try it!
12. Ouidad Wave Create Sea Spray
This sea salt spray is made with natural seawater and sea salt crystals that give your hair the sexy texture of windswept waves without making your hair dehydrated. It gives you curls and does not leave your hair looking dry and crunchy but focuses on enhancing your strands with essential vitamins and minerals so that you have beachy curls that look well nourished. It is available for purchase at Sephora.
13. OGX Moroccan Sea Salt Spray
When the name OGX is seen on a product, it defiantly means originality and quality all infused into the bottle. Well, that is exactly what sea salt sprays they produce reek of. Their eco-friendly Moroccan sea salt spray will leave your hair looking perfect with each strand tousled and a weightless surfy feel.
That is not even the whole deal; added into the surf spray is argan oil for your hair to glimmer while maintaining breezy, beach-bombshell waves. Pick it up from Ulta Beauty!
14. Redken Fashion Waves 07 Sea-Salt Texturizing Spray
No matter how long or short your hair is, this wonderful sea salt spray still creates that tousled but controlled texture for your hair. It even works for both coarse and soft hair by leaving it with a matte finish. You will certainly look like a sea diver with wavy hair whenever you use this product that is available online at Ulta Beauty.
15. Playa Endless Summer Spray
Imagine having a summer look that goes on forever. Well, there is no need to imagine when you can have the Endless Summer sea salt spray to give you that look. This surf spray is infused with Pacific Ocean salt to make your hair look like you just spent a day at the beach.
Your hair volume will be boosted, and natural texture will be enhanced. An additional ingredient called beta-carotene helps to shield your hair from UV rays. Get your bottle from Sephora now to try it!
16. Rahua Enchanted Island Salt Spray
As a product that is inspired by the Galapagos Islands, this sea salt spray comes in a pink bottle to give your hair that perfectly untidy and wavy beach look. The ingredients are vegan, and there are no synthetic products included like gluten and silicon. After using it, you are left with lightweight, yet textured hair. It can be found online at Sephora.
17. Hask Hawaiian Sea Salt Texture Salt Spray
The shore is now closer than you think with this sea salt spray at hand. Wonderfully infused with Hawaiian sea salt, the spray gives your hair a luxurious texture and beachy waves. Added for nourishment is also lustrous pearl, while it is free of sulfate, glutens or artificial colors. It retails online at Ulta Beauty.
18. O&M Surf Bomb Sea Spray
When the sea is not in sight, it can be very difficult to maintain that summer look. However, you can get this look every day if you want; all you need is a bottle of sea salt spray. This sea spray will give your hair a tousled, carefree beachy look without too much of an effort. It also prevents your hair from drying out. And it does not have gluten or other unsafe condiments. Pick it up at Sephora!
19. Honest Beauty Honestly Effortless Sea Salt Spray
The name of this sea salt spray says it all. It contains wonderful ingredients that get your hair weightless, beachy waves in an instant. With mineral pink salt acquired directly from the beach, algae extract, amino acids and antioxidants, you can be sure your surf locks have enough nutrients to look healthy. It can be found for purchase online at Ulta Beauty.
Also known as beach wave spray or surf spray, sea salt spray is a hair product generally made of salt taken from the sea to give your hair those carefree beachy waves. They are widely popular for the ‘just-came-back-form-the-beach’ look that they give to people, which is a mix of tousled, wavy and shinning hair.
Some of the beach wave sprays under this category are not made with sea salt but with Epsom salt. Do not worry, however, as Epsom salt is equally very good for your hair because it prevents it from drying out.
What the sea spray does to your hair is to act as a natural texturizer and add some grit to your hair. This causes your hair to appear wet, messy and gives you beautiful waves. This awesome look happens because the salt opens up the cuticles of your hair and plumps the strand to create hair that has great texture and volume.
Another great thing about sea salt spray is that there are different types available on the market to fit perfectly for your hair type. So, even if you have thinning hair, you will still certainly find one that will rejuvenate and give you luscious-looking waves.
You do not need to go to the beach to get those beachy waves for your hair that you love so much. Surf sprays can get you that if you carefully follow the right set of instructions.
Meanwhile, the benefits of using this fantastic hair product are innumerable; but just like everything we know, it also has some cons that will be quite terrible to leave out of this article. The major component of the sea salt spray is salt, and it works differently for various types of hair.
Pros of Sea Salt Sprays
• It keeps oily hair tamed for maintaining the texture and prolongs intervals between washing. The salt soaks up the excess oil in the hair, just like dry shampoo, thus making it look clean without drying it.
• If you have fine or flat hair, your hair will appear fuller and thicker while looking quite natural.
• The salt spray gives straight hair texture and volume that lasts with a carefree beachy wave look.
• Your straight hair will look longer, curlier and bouncier all day when a beach spray is applied.
• Enhance your wavy or curly hair with sea salt spray that draws your curls down to create natural beach waves.
• You can also French braid your dry hair when you want to sleep with sea salt sprayed into it. This will give your hair great loose waves in the morning.
Cons of Sea Salt Sprays
• Your hair might feel drier than usual if you use the salt spray excessively. This happens because the salt draws out moisture from the hair.
• Everyday use of sea salt spray causes your hair to become brittle, thereby losing its proteins.
• Hair loss can occur due to drying effects.
• It is not advisable if you have keratin treatment, as salt removes that protein from the hair and prevents the treatment from lasting.
• The likelihood of hair breakage increases due to tangling by the deposits left by the salt spray on your hair.
• The key to using beach wave spray is to make sure that it is not applied too often and also should be done in little quantity. Increased use can cause your hair to start feeling heavy and sticky.
It is very important to consider your hair type before you get yourself a bottle of sea salt spray. Here are the various types of hair and tips to help you choose the best beach wave spray for your hair.
Best Sea Salt Spray for Natural Hair
If you have decided to stay away from chemicals that affect the texture and shape of your hair, then you are in this category. Moisturizing, however, is very important and even naturalists cannot stay away from it. Hence, if your hair is the natural type, select the beach wave spray that has a lot of moisture and is free of ingredients that might cause your hair to dry out.
One beautiful suggestion is to use hair oils, like argan oil to keep your hair feeling soft and to retain enough moisture. Preferably, you should buy a sea salt spray with carrier oils such as coconut oil, avocado oil, or argan oil.
Best Sea Salt Spray for Curly Hair
Wavy hair textures can be greatly enhanced by the application of surf sprays but keep the amount to a minimal. This is because very little goes a long way for your type of hair, and adding too much product might cause a few adverse effects.
Add a touch of styling cream to your hair before spraying it with the sea salt spray. Then, you can also use a spray that has alternate drying agent (like sugar instead of salt) with a moisturizing ingredient like aloe vera. What this does is to add a beautiful texture to your hair while keeping those beachy waves bouncy.
Best Sea Salt Spray for Thick Hair
The downside of having thick hair is how easy it is for your hair to go back to its original state after a few hours of applying the sea salt spray. Enhancing a natural wave is quite difficult for those of us with thick hair.
As a result, it is highly recommended to only buy beach wave sprays that are heavy, strong, or sticky – the correct term is a hydrating sea salt spray – and give your hair enough volume throughout the day without making it feel brittle. This way, your hair will look like you are just out of the salty ocean… all day long.
Before you apply the spray, make sure your hair is not wet but damp enough and leave it to air-dry after the application.
Best Sea Salt Spray for Wavy Hair
Wavy hair and curly hair are taken the same sometimes, but there are differences between the two. It is quite important you know exactly the type that you have to be able to select the right surf spray.
If you have naturally wavy hair, just reach for that bottle of salt spray to bump up your texture while giving your hair a perfect matte finish in the process. To create that seaside smell, use a bottle that has active essential ingredients like organic items and essential oils.
Best Sea Salt Spray for Fine Hair
You can know if you have fine hair by the lack of bounciness and how thin it feels. Notwithstanding, you can still enjoy beachy waves. All you need to do is spray sea salt spray very close to the roots of your hair after you are done drying it. To get the best out of it, hang your hair upside down and scrunch it while blow-drying.
When choosing a salt spray, you should also go for the one that uses a lighter main ingredient such as sugar. Volume and grit will be added, and you will have that beachy style wave with bouncy hair.
Best Sea Salt Spray for Color-Treated Hair
You certainly do not want to jeopardize the beautiful dye job that has been used to treat your hair, but you still want to combine that beauty with that beachy look. What you need to watch out for in the sea salt spray that you are buying is the absence of alcohol. This would help to create a fantastic texture without washing away the color or even mildly making it fade.
Best Sea Salt Spray for Bleached/ Highlighted Hair
When your hair is bleached or highlighted, it is quite dry and grit. You need a sea salt spray that is highly moisturizing to add more grit and deliver that beachy texture without being sticky or too strong.
In addition, you should opt for sea salt sprays that make your hair soft. Sprays that block UV rays are also recommended, since your hair has been treated with chemicals and is more vulnerable to harmful UV rays.
Best Sea Salt Spray for Damaged/ Fragile Hair
Regardless of how your damaged hair came to be (processing or otherwise), you need a gentle formula without salt so as to avoid its drying effects. To avoid soaking the hair and still achieving that texture, you should opt for a beach wave spray with oils, fragrance, and maybe plain water.
Sea salt sprays are absolutely fabulous, aren’t they? They give you great hair when they are used right and can even become a part of your lifestyle. This is a full guide to help you achieve a great look with that beach hair on your head.
To use sea salt spray to get beach-style waves:
• Dampen your hair, and then brush out any knots with a wide-toothed comb, making sure that the hair is evenly damp.
• Use a moisturizing shampoo or a shampoo and a conditioner. The clarifying type removes oil from your hair and makes it difficult to achieve the beachy waves you want so it is better to avoid it.
• Shake the bottle of the sea salt spray very well and then apply it to your hair. Make sure that it is applied evenly (preferably from the midpoints down to the ends). Avoid putting it on the roots of your hair to make sure that it does not add too much texture.
• Take small sections of your hair and lightly scrunch the salt spray into your hair, starting from the bottom to the top. You can also twist sections to add definition.
• Leave your hair to dry naturally and you will have the bouncy beach waves that you have been craving. If you are in a hurry, you can use the cool setting of your hair dryer; just make sure it is not too high, as this will affect the texture rather negatively.
Other Sea Salt Spray Tips to Know
You can also apply the sea salt spray in different ways to restyle flat hair, loosen curls and to create textured bed heads. There are also some things that should be avoided when applying sea salt spray to create beach waves.
• Do not put too much sea salt spray into your hair roots.
• Never use a towel to dry your hair during the process.
• Pick the correct type of sea salt spray that is suitable for your hair type.
• Do not dry your hair with hot air or it will create frizz.
• Before you start to shampoo your hair and add other stuff, it is a great idea to prep your hair with hair mousse.
• Add some texture and tousle gently as you go along the process.
• Make sure that everything you use is added to your hair uniformly.
• For a carefree look, do not curl your hair all the way to the tail.
• Twist your hair into buns and leave it overnight. This will give you beautiful beachy waves with a lovely texture.
You can also whip up a bottle of sea salt hair spray by and for yourself. It is so easy, as you already have most of the ingredients in your pantry without knowing it. All you need to do is follow this DIY sea salt spray recipe to make that amazing sea spray for soft wavy and bouncy hair.
What you need:
• A spray bottle to put your sea salt spray in
• 1 tablespoon of hair conditioner (leave it out if you have fine hair)
• 2 tablespoons of sea salt
• 1 tablespoon of aloe vera
• 1 tablespoon of argan oil or other carrier oil like sweet almond oil, castor oil, avocado oil, or coconut oil
Follow these steps to make your beach wave spray at home:
• Get a cup of boiling water and add strong chamomile tea for a darkening effect, should you feel the need. This step is optional.
• Pour the water into the spray bottle with the sea salt, aloe vera, and conditioner (if in use).
• Cap the bottle and shake it for about two minutes until all the salt dissolves in the water.
• Put the carrier oil(s) and all the additional ingredients that you want to add (yes, you can add additional ingredients).
• Shake the bottle again until you have an even mixture.
That is all. You now have a DIY sea salt spray to get that wavy hair and beachy look.
Photos via @hair_bykate, @romalosblog, @morganmaryy, @roseannabeauty17, @7intheevening, @chelsiereimer