This post may contain affiliate links.
Brown lips, anyone? Because we all know chocolate is always in, and apparently, the fashion and beauty industry couldn’t agree more! You’ll come across dozens of brown lipstick shades, but you might have trouble choosing the ideal one for your own complexion. Here’s a quick guide to help you pick the perfect brown lipstick and cocoa-up your look!
Brown Lipstick Makeup Guide: Contents
- 21 Best Brown Lipstick Shades to Buy
- How to Choose the Perfect Brown Lipstick for Your Skin Tone
- How to Wear Brown Lipstick for That Cool ’90 Makeup Look
Part of the neutral lipstick family, brown lipstick is a ‘90s beauty classic that will never fail, so make sure you pick the best brown lipstick color for your skin tone from the wonderful selection we bring for you below!
1. Charlotte Tilbury Matte Revolution Lipstick in Birkin Brown
What makes your lips pop and gives them a delicious hydration boost? The Birkin Brown by Charlotte Tilbury, a revelation in the form of a brown lipstick! Elegant, simple, and matte, this particular lippy will not let you down for hours on end. You’ll easily find it on Nordstrom, so make sure it finds its way to your lipstick collection asap.
2. NARS Audacious Lipstick in Deborah
The name says it all. This particular brown lipstick packs quite a punch of chestnut brown, ready to perk up your pout in no time. Warm, but powerful, this audacious baby is ready to handle a full day of chatter. Enriched with all that shea butter goodness, this brown lipstick will keep your smile moisturized and stunning in one go. Get it online from Net-a-Porter!
3. MAC Strip Down Lipstick in Move Your Body
A lovely chocolate shade, and a dreamy pick for an effortless look with a touch of gentle sheen, this brown lipstick is pure ‘90s resurgence. The A in the name stands for “amplified creme”, giving you a better idea of what your lips will feel like wearing this sensual shade. Prep your lips for pure perfection in brown and get yours at Nordstrom!
4. Kylie Cosmetics Velvet Liquid Lipstick in Shook
A liquid lipstick in matte brown that won’t fail you? Yup, that exists, and it comes in the form of Kylie’s own take on brown lipstick called Shook. This bold mahogany-infused lipstick is soothing and sexy, and the scent will also not disappoint, so make sure to look for one on Ulta soon.
5. Tom Ford Lip Color in Magnetic Attraction
If you’re looking to pamper your lips with a touch of true, creamy luxury, look no further than this majestic slice of heaven for your pout. Subtle, but truly magnetic, this brown lipstick is an invitation to indulgence. Get it at Nordstrom!
6. Urban Decay Vice Lipstick in Ember
Brown lips with an urban twist are a treat for every gal who wants to leave her comfort zone. This shimmering shade is anything but dull, and it will give you a rich, textured look for every occasion you desire. Look for it at Nordstrom and enjoy its delightful touch of subdued glamour.
7. Edward Bess Ultra Slick Lipstick in Wicked Game
Getting brown lips in a single swipe may seem impossible, but this gorgeous lipstick delivers on the promise every time. Wicked Game is a rare hue that flatters all skin tones, and thanks to its plum base, you can wear it with confidence and bring out your smile. Thankfully, you’ll find it at Net-a-Porter!
8. Laura Mercier Velour Extreme Matte Lipstick in Rock
Earthy, flavorful, and above all, seductive, this brown lipstick offers dense coverage without overburdening your lips. But don’t be fooled by its super-matte look! It still brings out your lip curves perfectly, so you should get it from Nordstrom.
9. BECCA Ultimate Lipstick Love in Taupe
Just like milk chocolate with a pinch of warm cinnamon, this brown lipstick shade feels soft and creamy on your lips, and slides easily for hours of smooth wear. Keep your lips warm by getting it online from Revolve!
10. Anastasia Beverly Hills Liquid Lipstick in Malt
Not only is this enchanting brown lipstick simple to use, easy to combine, and delicious, but also it comes from a brand that prides itself on cruelty-free and vegan items – just like this Malt lipstick you can find at Nordstrom!
11. Dior Couture Color Rouge Lipstick in Chocolate Matte
Doesn’t the name say it all? Be very careful with this one, because your lips will become very biteable as soon as you slather some of this goodness on your perky pout, straight from the online store at Nordstrom.
12. Illamasqua Antimatter Lipstick in Gravity
This shade’s name makes perfect sense: you’ll be drawn to this brown lipstick as soon as you feel its buttery finish. Get it in a few clicks from Net-a-Porter!
13. Bobbi Brown Lipstick in Brown
When you’re in the mood for melted milk chocolate on your lips (but none on the hips), this brown lipstick should be your go-to shade. Juice up your lips with this baby straight from Nordstrom.
14. Dose of Colors Liquid Lipstick in Cork
Earthy, warm, and velvety soft, this brown lipstick is also vegan, cruelty-free, and will last you the entire day. Weightless and long-lasting, it applies creamy and sets to a perfect matte. Get your own in the shade of Cork from Ulta.
15. Lancôme L’Absolu Lip Lacquer in Enchantment
Dark, brooding, moody, and bold, this shiny brown lipstick is a perfect match for a woman with guts and passion. When you’re ready to make your lips shine, take it directly from Nordstrom.
16. Tarte Tarteist Quick Dry Matte Lip Paint in Fortune
Not only does it dry quickly, but also it remains lightweight on your lips for the day. In fact, if someone decides to steal a kiss from you, they won’t get to steal this perfect brown lipstick, though. Get yours at Ulta!
17. Giorgio Armani Rouge dArmani Matte Lipstick in 200
The mahogany hue of this brown lipstick comes with a juicy finish to prevent dry, chapped lips for up to eight hours of flawless smiling. Despite its rich matte look, it never dries lips and stays put perfectly. Class up your collection with this one from Nordstrom.
18. NYX Lip Lingerie Liquid Lipstick in After Hours
Lush and seductive, this particular brown lipstick shade is soft and light, but still makes a mighty impression. It has a nice buttery texture and a velvety finish on the lips, but also boasts vitamin E that will keep your lips soft throughout the wear. Discover this particular one from Ulta!
19. Smashbox Always On Matte Liquid Lipstick in Stay Tan
A perky shade of brown for playful personas, this tan brown lipstick allows for plenty of versatility in your styling. This is also one of the best liquid matte lipsticks that stay put without drying out the lips. Get it from Nordstrom!
20. Lipstick Queen Lipstick Chess in Pawn
Enriched with vitamin E, this bright brown lipstick shade won’t disappoint your lips when it comes to keeping them fresh, colorful, and hydrated. The color is pretty versatile for many skin tones, so hurry up to get one from Dermstore!
21. Christian Louboutin Beauty Sheer Voile Lip Colour in Private Number
Somewhere between caramel and maple, this endlessly sweet brown lipstick will give your lips plenty of plump. Just owning this pretty lipstick case is already a dream, so get it from Net-a-Porter!
Neutral lip colors are those versatile options you can easily wear from day to night, and brown lipstick makes no exception. It’s great for adding some drama to your night-time looks as well as for taking your daytime “no makeup” makeup look to a different level. However, to make brown lips work for you on every occasion, first of all you need to find the most ideal shades for your own skin tone and undertone.
Best Brown Lipstick Shades for Fair Skin Tones
Fair-skinned gals, you need to find a well-balanced shade of brown lipstick to avoid looking overly pale. That means that you can always go for a darker brown shade that will bring out your lips, as long as it’s not too similar to your own skin tone. Brown lipstick shades with orange or red undertones should be your best bet!
If you are fair-skinned with cool undertones, cooler brown lipstick shades will look amazing on you, such as purple-, berry- or blue-based browns. On the other hand, if you have a light skin tone with warm undertones, opt for pink-, peach- or red-based brown lipstick shades.
In case you’re struggling with an uneven skin tone, adding a BB cream to your beauty routine can help prep your pores perfectly. As for your choice of lippy, we’re talking Dose of Color’s Cork as a finely balanced example, although you can always go bolder with Edward Bess’s Wicked Game brown!
Best Brown Lipstick Shades for Olive Skin Tones
Ladies with that Mediterranean olive skin have so many options, your beauty shelves will soon be brimming with brown lipstick shades! However, mind the undertone of your skin, as too much bronze warmth can conflict with a green or red lipstick undertone. So, instead of a crimson-infused brown, opt for cooler, creamy shades for a dose of mystery.
In case you have a cool skin undertone blending with that olive warmth, then by all means, bring out the fiery browns and make your skin pop. Urban Decay in Ember and Charlotte Tilbury’s Birkin Brown would both make the cut.
Best Brown Lipstick Shades for Dark Skin Tones
Babes that boast dark skin, with so much coffee and caramel in your complexion, a gentle, subdued brown lipstick might be too subtle and downplay your game. Instead, you should definitely explore the vibrant crimson browns, the daring deep walnut, and of course, the absolutely vampy rosewood hues.
If your dark skin has cool undertones, consider trying berry- or blue-based brown lipstick shades, while those with warm undertones are safe to go for warmer brown lipstick colors, such as tan, coffee or pink-toned browns.
Depending on your undertone, you can mix your brown lips with a complementing brown lip liner to bring out the contrast further. Also consider adding a lighter hue in the inner center of your lips to get that plump effect. Rouge dArmani in 200 is a great example, so treat your chocolate lips with some toasty caramel!
Brown lips are a true blast from the past, but with more complexity than meets the eye. Upon choosing the right shade of brown lipstick for your skin tone and the occasion, you need to build an entire look worthy of those chocolate-infused lips. Let’s take a look at several must-try ‘90s-approved makeup tips (but with a contemporary twist) to make brown work for you better than ever.
• Applying these mahogany hues on your pout is easier said than done. It takes precision, perfect pressure, and you need additional tools such as your lip liner to give your lips a polished look. Start by forming a liner outline in a shade that matches your lipstick, or one slightly lighter. This simple, subtle contrast makes your brown lips look fuller and gives them a juicy appearance!
• Pro tip: if you have a concealer your lips love, use it as a base to make your brown lipstick pop even more. A sheer, nude base allows the curves of your lips to be filled with your brown lipstick with more ease, and you’ll get a plump look with little effort.
• Play with texture and undertones until you discover the best of the bunch. Not all brown lipstick shades are created equal for your particular complexion, so explore with that little bit of wisdom in mind. Different levels of gloss and sheen can completely change how a particular shade looks on you, so sometimes your arm may give you a better idea if a particular lippy will work for you.
• Start small and smudgy! Because brown can be too heavy and intense for some lips out there, you can always take it slow and start by applying the color with your fingertips. This will give you a better idea of which shades work best with your skin and which ones are easy to apply.
• Try different undertones for your brown lipstick base. Some skin tones love pink and crimson, while others prefer copper and golden. Either way, if this is your first time playing with a brown lipstick, try several before you decide.
• Match-making with other items in your makeup ensemble will help you bring out your brown lips. Warm and delicate eyeshadow and a touch of bronzer on your cheeks can balance your entire look without overburdening your complexion. Neutrals are your best friend when you want your mocha lips to stand out, whereas clear touch-ups on your eyes with a dash of shimmer can help you create a soft contrast with your lips.
Photos via @sonagasparian, @beautsoup, @lolaliner, @susannebarnekow