Although buying a body scrub off the market (if you choose a quality one) is advisable, there are recipes you can try to make your own DIY body scrub at home and have brilliant results. Here are a few effective homemade body scrubs you should try. Try your hand at them and make a couple for good use and maximum benefits. If you want a manufactured body scrub, then go over the 19 best body scrubs we have mentioned and make a wise choice.
DIY Oatmeal and Brown Sugar Body Scrub
Some say caffeine works for anti-aging, therefore, we recommend you turn this option out. Here you can use oatmeal (which soothes the skin) as an alternative to coffee.
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- ½ cup of white or brown sugar
- ½ cup of ground oatmeal (or coffee grounds for a more invigorating scrub)
- 1-3 drops of essential oil (try lavender, almond, citrus or peppermint oil)
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Pour the mixture into an air-tight container or a mason jar.
- Use a quarter-size of the recipe at a time, and store the rest of the body scrub in a dry place for up to three weeks.
DIY Banana Body Scrub Recipe
This will smell like dessert. It is made of bananas, which are lightly moisturizing. It is made for you if you have areas of your body that are prone to oily skin – your chest or back.
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 tbsp of brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon of vanilla (if you like)
- Mix the ingredients, but not too much, because the scrub might thin out.
- Use in the shower.
- Ensure it sits about a minute before you gently massage over the skin in circular motions.
Invigorating Lemon & Olive Oil Body Scrub
You don’t have to worry about the risk of oily skin. Just get these ingredients and produce a body scrub that will clean your skin.
- ¾ cup of olive oil
- 3 cups of granulated sugar
- Juice of one lemon
- Zest from 2 lemons
- A couple drops of your favorite invigorating essential oil
- Mix olive oil and sugar.
- Then add lemon juice.
- Add the other ingredients – essential oil of rosemary or grapefruit.
- Apply to skin in circular motions, then rinse off.
DIY Coconut Butter Body Scrub
Of course, body exfoliating should make you feel soft. And with this homemade body scrub, your skin will absorb the butter for a soft skin appearance.
- ½ cup of shea butter or cocoa butter
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of coconut oil
- Optional: a couple drops of your favorite essential oil
- ½ cup of sugar
- Melt the shea butter or cocoa butter using a double boiler.
- After melting, whip it up with a mixer to become smooth. You could use a hand blender.
- Add olive oil and coconut oil, slowly mixing into the butter.
- Then, add some essential oils.
- Finally, mix in the brown sugar.
- Wait for some minutes for your skin to absorb the moisturizing properties of the scrub, then rinse off.
DIY Green Tea Salt Scrub
The benefits of green tea include its function as anti-inflammatory and anticancer. When you opt for this option of homemade body scrub, you are not only exfoliating, but also protecting your skin.
- 3 tablespoons of Epsom salts
- 3 tablespoons of baking soda
- 1 bag of green tea leaves or a tablespoon of loose leaf tea
- 4 tablespoons of your favorite moisturizing oil, such as jojoba, olive, grapeseed, or sweet almond oil
- Mix the first three ingredients.
- Add the oil.
- It is ready for use.
Olive Oil, Peppermint & Sugar Scrub
The benefits of oil combined with peppermint are huge, and you have a body scrub that is more than just exfoliation.
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 15 drops of peppermint essential oil
- Mix the ingredients to get a coarse paste.
- Apply the paste to your skin. Massage the mixture, in circular motions, on your skin. Do these for 5-10 minutes.
- Rinse off using a hydrating body wash and lukewarm water.
DIY Yoghurt Body Scrub
You remember that yoghurt can naturally reduce fine lines and wrinkles. And the lactic acid in yoghurt helps in dissolving dead skin and tightens pores.
- 1 tablespoon of yoghurt
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 3 tablespoons of granulated sugar
- Mix the ingredients to form a coarse paste.
- Take a warm shower and apply this paste on your skin.
- Massage the mixture on your skin in circular motions. Do these for 5-10 minutes, exfoliating your skin.
- Rinse off the mixture with a hydrating body wash and lukewarm water.
Photo via @thebeardedbeehomestead