The use of sheet masks started in Korea. And like other Asian beauty traditions, sheet masks do work. Now that it is being appreciated in the US and other parts of the world, can’t you just try them?
So you have acne-prone skin or just want to make your skin look younger, more radiant. That can be handled with our recommendations of the best sheet masks and rubber masks to use.
This is the essence of today’s article. We will cover the purpose of sheet masks, what they are, the right process to achieve the best results, their content, and how to make your own DIY homemade sheet masks.
Ultimate Guide to the Best Sheet Masks: Contents
• 17 Best Sheet Masks for Every Skin Type and Issue
• What Are Sheet Masks?
• How Do Sheet Masks Work?
• What Are Sheet Masks Composed of?
• Sheet Mask Benefits
• What Sheet Masks Don’t Do
• How to Choose the Right Sheet Mask for Your Skin Type
• How Often to Use a Sheet Mask?
• How to Use Sheet Masks Properly
• Sheet Mask Tips to Know
• 7 Effective DIY Sheet Masks to Try at Home
Our journey starts with 17 wonders in a bottle – the best sheet masks and rubber masks for every skin type and issue.
1. SK-II Facial Treatment Mask
The idea behind this sheet mask is the reality of every dream of its user. You get an intense hydration because that is what is designed for. Later, it becomes your favorite. And we would have no reason to question your decision. You have experienced it all. Brighter skin. Even texture. Rejuvenated firmness and elasticity. Get it from Sephora!
2. Dr. Jart+ Water Replenishment Cotton Sheet Mask
Hydrate your skin. The ingredients of this sheet mask continue to nourish and moisturize as long as you keep using it. The product doesn’t contain that harmful substance like paraben, instead, you get allantoin, marine collagen, chamomile flower water, and witch hazel – the family of ingredients that birth beautiful skin! It’s one of the most hydrating sheet masks available at Sephora.
3. Too Cool For School Egg Cream Mask Hydration
Twenty minutes is all you need. Apply and experience a new glow out of your skin. Wonder about its abilities? Stop. One of the best sheet masks, it is formulated with egg extracts, coconut water, niacinamide, and other botanical extracts that would wake your skin from dullness to its beauty potentials. Dry skin or oily skin. It doesn’t matter. Good for all! Pick it up from Sephora!
4. Peter Thomas Roth Un-Wrinkle 24k Gold Intense Wrinkle Sheet Mask
Once expanded in hand, what you have there is an anti-aging tool. Well, in form of a sheet mask. It is concentrated and rich in 18 age-fighting neuropeptides and peptides, pure 24k-gold and hyaluronic acid. Don’t worry about fine lines. Increase the hydration ability of your skin, and soothe the skin by getting this sheet mask from Nordstrom!
5. Tatcha Luminous Dewy Skin Mask
This sheet mask fits the face perfectly. Tatcha is made of lightweight rice germ oil, which is rich in vitamin E and essential fatty acids. Not that alone. Other ingredients include a high concentration of botanical oils and extracts, and its rich essential ingredients that could leave the skin soft, velvety and radiant, but for a limitation: you haven’t gotten the product yet? It’s available at Sephora.
6. Dr. Jart+ Hydration Lover Rubber Mask
Here is another amazing rubber mask from the face doctor. It’s a rubber facial mask that would prevent evaporation of ingredients and promote the penetration of the ingredients deep into the skin. It is fast and convenient to use. You’ll get the face treatment in two steps. Your skin gets supple and dewy. Fine lines and pores find their way out. It can be found online at Sephora.
7. Origins Flower Fusion Raspberry Refreshing Sheet Mask
Safety first. This sheet mask doesn’t contain harmful chemicals, parabens, formaldehyde, formaldehyde-releasing agents, and phthalates. It is a product of bamboo and flower max that produces emollient effects on the skin. And the bright, fruity fragrance of raspberry flower would inspire your mood. Get it from Sephora!
8. Charlotte Tilbuty Instant Magic Facial Dry Sheet Mask
This is a special sheet mask made of dry textile to serve your skin wishes. Its ease of use and its long-lasting effects are uncommon. One more thing – it has a bio-mimetic vector delivery system that ensures the ingredients get deep into your skin. And the longer it stays, the more rejuvenated your skin gets. Get it from Nordstrom!
9. Karuna Hydrating+ Face Mask
One of the best sheet masks, this option is oil-free and rich. The whole package is a blend of nutrients, and the mask itself is made from wood pulp. The ingredients contain hyaluronic acid and peptides, aloe vera and chamomile, Chinese liquorice and vitamin B. And that is a whole package of hydration, detoxifying and nourishing ingredients. Try it, getting it from Sephora!
10. Too Cool For School Pumpkin 24K Gold Sheet Mask
It’s a bio-cellulose sheet mask, best for hooking active ingredients in and sealing them deep into your skin. The mask covers you like your second skin. Pumpkin restores the dry skin, while 24k gold brightens the skin appearance. Finally, vitamin A is necessity for elastic skin. It’s also available for sale at Sephora.
11. TonyMoly I’m Real Aloe Mask Sheet
TonyMoly’s sheet mask is a rich 3-layer pulp sheet. The product is recommended because of its aloe vera extract and rich water essence. And the user’s skin will not only benefit at the surface. It nourishes deep into the epidermis. Try it; it’s available at Ulta Beauty.
12. Skin Laundry Hydrating Facial Sheet Mask
Which product can give you up to 24 hours of hydration? This is one of the best sheet masks responsible for that! It is a formula with watermelon fruit extract, lentil fruit extract, and apple fruit extract. And, in a short time after use, you develop smooth skin, free of fine lines. It can be found at Sephora.
13. Clé de Peau Beauté ‘Illuminating Concentrate’ Skincare Set
The quality of this sheet mask is spelt out on your face – radiantly glowing skin. Use repeatedly, and the dull skin appearance will transform completely. It is just what you need for an enviable skin texture. Pick it up from Nordstrom!
14. Avene Soothing Sheet Mask
The job of this sheet mask is to soothe and revitalize. And it sticks to that like an obedient servant. The effect of Avene spring water makes the soothing effect powerful. Remove the mask, and your new beautiful skin appearance is revealed. This sheet mask is available for purchase at Dermstore.
15. Farmacy Hydrating Coconut Gel Mask – Firming (Celery)
Formulated with active ingredients, this sheet mask comes to give you radiant skin. Cichoric acid aids skin protection, celery extract repairs and nourishes the skin, while coconut gel helps in restoration of skin health and hydrates the skin deeply. And it is good for all skin types: normal, dry or combination. Get it from Sephora!
16. Yes To Tomatoes Clear Skin Acne Fighting Paper Mask
Yes to smooth skin! This sheet mask is formulated with tomato extract and salicylic acid to deliver the gorgeous appearance your skin deserves. If you haven’t tried sheet masks in your life, start here. The experience is remarkable for first-timers. It keeps you coming back. Find it at Ulta Beauty!
17. Glow Recipe Watermelon Glow Jelly Sheet Mask
This jelly sheet mask works for normal, oily combination, or dry skin. Use it twice a week. The skin would depuff and turn out smooth. The surface of the mask over your skin does not contain oils and jelly hydrogel. Apply it and it would be in position on your face. And you can let your Instagram followers see the moment of nourishing your skin. It’s super cool. It’s available at Sephora.
Sheet masks are face-shaped facial masks soaked in skin serum or other moisturizing products that are used to pamper, brighten the skin tone and provide relaxed and soothed facial skin. Most sheet masks are made of materials ranging from papers, fibres to gel types. They are made to fit the shape of the face.
The sheet itself is made of fibre or paper, which you will fix in your face. This is cut open at the nose, mouth, and eyes to let you see and breathe while wearing them.
The sheet is soaked or concentrated on essence or serum. Whichever you call it, just know, facial sheet masks are rich and would bring skin care benefits.
Sheet masks were first used in South Korea. And somehow they found their way across the world where they are now appreciated. This is as a result of many reasons.
• It is easy to use, like when you are waiting for water to boil at home, you could use it and you are done in the next few minutes.
• It is photogenic. Fun. From your Instagram feeds, you could see women and celebrities showing their faces coated like horror movie characters.
• You will get desirable results. The work is to sink active ingredients into your skin. And that is the whole point. Easy, photogenic, and most importantly, effective.
Sheet masks could get you likes on Instagram. But it is more than that. It could help your facial skin.
The sheet is soaked in serum or other skin care essences, being a body of beneficial ingredients. All the ingredients are in the water phase. Once your face is covered with the facial sheet mask that has been soaked in serums, the ingredients are held by the mask from evaporation.
The mask does not allow evaporation of the ingredients; rather, it prolongs the time for the serums to penetrate into your skin. And such hydrating ingredients penetrate deep into your facial skin and get it nourished.
The sheet mask should stay for up to 15 minutes on your face to achieve the best result. Once the duration is up, your face feels plumper and brighter. The moisturizing ingredients are at work. Consistent use will bring the skin to a glowing appearance.
Unlike another facial masks, sheet mask is adding nutrients to the face. It doesn’t dry and turn hard like others; neither does it draw out the oils in your face like clay masks.
Facial masks come in tubes and jars. You add it to your face, leave for twenty minutes and wash off afterwards. Sheet masks, on the other hand, spare you that trouble of washing off.
Its forms and materials may vary, but one thing is common: it is pasted on the face and you don’t need to wash off the face after applying. And yes, people will admire it better in pictures, seeing you using it.
Nowadays, sheet masks are made in different forms like emoji masks, bubble masks, gold masks, animal masks or rubber masks. They are beautiful and fun to use.
We said earlier that sheet masks are made of two components, the first being the sheet itself. The most gentle and easy-to-use sheet is made of cotton. Because of its convenience and absorbing properties, it is the commonest. Other common sheet masks are made of cellulose and paper.
Let’s run through them in general and see some characteristics.
• Cotton: Affordable, fairly absorbent and helps nourish the skin better than non-woven fibres.
• Non-Woven Fibres: Affordable, has the smallest capacity to nourish your skin with serums, difficult to use.
• Hydrogel: Costs more than cotton and non-woven fibres, is fast absorbent and has higher capacity to nourish the skin, has gel-type consistency, and fits the face perfectly.
• Bio-Cellulose: Entirely natural, and more costly than sheet masks.
The second component of the sheet mask is the essence or serums. What you need to know about them is that they are added to help your skin.
Serums and essences have thin textures. In history, back in Korea, they could contain natural extracts and often cult ingredients like propolis and snail mucus. Nowadays, they contain beneficial ingredients like hyaluronic acid, vitamins, aloe vera, pearl, snail extract, seaweed, etc.
Beware. Some sheet masks are not as safe because of their ingredients as others. They contain not-so-friendly ingredients like alcohol, PEGs, fragrance, and preservatives like phenoxyethanol and ethylhexyl glycerin. Watch out for them. Using such ingredients, the manufacturers wanted to prevent fungi contamination, and you using the product could be at risk.
The main theme of sheet masks is the brighter facial skin. Let us look at that, and other benefits to the tiniest details.
Fast Process and Fast Result
You don’t wait like forever to notice changes in the softness, plumpness or hydration of the skin. And you complete the process in 15 to 20 minutes.
Unlike other face masks, sheet masks are made of nourishing ingredients. When on your face, the serums are locked in, unable to escape, and your skin becomes hydrated. For the 15 minutes, the serums continue to penetrate.
Firmer and Brighter Skin
Depending on the type of sheet mask, some will develop firmer skin. You know serums, depending on what they are made of, can brighten the skin. Therefore, the sheet mask just helps seal them into your skin. And at the end, you will have a brighter skin.
Cheaper Than Spas
Talk of the cost and time – sheet masks are more encouraging than spas. You could get them at home, with a manufactured product. The average price ranges from $4-$14. Or you can make a homemade sheet mask, which will cost less, depending on the ingredients. And it takes 15-30 minutes of your time while in your comfort.
Simple, Easy and Clean to Use
Do you want to know how easy it is to use a sheet mask? Compare it with using a common facial mask. Or compare it with enjoying a body bath.
Like nose strips, you can use it on the aeroplane before you land. You don’t need to wash off after use. Just massage the left serums and you are good.
With understanding, we can say sheet masks aren’t truly masked. Fine, they mask your face, but they don’t work like a true facial mask.
• For a start, sheet masks don’t exfoliate your skin. They only nourish your skin by locking in serums for a long period. If you really want to exfoliate and want it to be effective, go for the paste-type mask.
• Don’t compare sheet masks with serums either. The two are different. Serums are mainly for nourishing the skin, which they do directly. Sheet masks can be used as a luxury, for showing off, albeit they nourish the skin by locking in serums while at it. They would help boost the work of the serum.
• Some sheet masks evaporate too quickly. That’s why you need to choose wisely.
Before deciding on a sheet mask or any skin care product we always advise understanding your skin type. You wouldn’t buy grass, which is nutritious to rabbit, to feed dogs.
After understanding your skin type, perhaps sensitive or normal, you should know what you want to achieve. Can a sheet mask help you?
Check the benefits of sheet masks again to answer that. If not, then, consider other facial masks, serums, or microneedling.
If you want to use a sheet mask for your skin type, let us make recommendations for each skin type.
• Sensitive Skin: You won’t have a problem with choosing sheet masks. Just watch out for harmful ingredients. It should have fewer preservatives not to irritate the skin. Use consistently, and you can opt for it in place of your normal creams and moisturizers.
• Dry Skin: You, too, can enjoy sheet masks. Just look for the following ingredients in the products: ceramides, squalane, hyaluronic acid, rice bran oil, and macadamia oil. Your skin will be satisfied with enough moisture.
• Acne-Prone Skin: Look for green tea or charcoal. They soak excess oil in your pores. Add aloe to your search, as it reduces redness. Alternatively, you could choose a product made of snail extract gel.
• Oily Skin: Those with oily skin need sheet masks that regulate the production of oils on the pores. It is a yoghurt mask. Yoghurt cleans pores and regulates the production of oils across it.
• For All Skin Types: Generally, for every skin type, look for sheet masks that contain butylene glycol. It is like a delivery agent and helps the skin absorb other ingredients better. Also, products that have humectants are good for everyone. Humectants are hydrating and help in treating fine lines.
In respect to cost, you shouldn’t use a sheet mask every day. The amount is not that friendly when the products are costly.
If you can afford the cost, then you have no problem using it daily. We said earlier, some ladies are addicted to it. Join them. You’re safe.
Use sheet masks as it pleases. Twice a day, once a week, some days of the week or when you want to go for a special occasion.
The right usage is best defined by your skin type and what you want. Keep that in mind and let it follow you forward.
Those with acne-prone skin should use sheet masks once a week. Masks are occlusive and could block your pores. And that could compound the damage. Stay safe. Use once a week.
Secondly, certain products are not recommended for daily use. Most products labeled as anti-aging contain glycolic acid, and they can cause irritation. From there, bacteria could find harbor on your skin. Therefore, use sparingly – once a week or twice at most.
Sensitive skin will not have problems using sheet masks daily.
Generally, sheet masks are good every day. What you should do, however, is choose the best sheet masks, which contain the right ingredients. Choose products with ceramides, squalene, hyaluronic acid, rice bran oil, and macadamia oil. They are worth it. If you find any product with niacinamide, vitamin C, and licorice root extract, use it every day.
Now, get it. The process, if done wrong, will make you get an average result, no result at all, or unwanted results. You want none of that, right?
We said it involves the soaking of the sheet in serums, covering your face with face make, waiting for some minutes, removing and massaging the remaining serums. Let us see in details.
• Choose a sheet mask. Homemade sheet masks made by yourself or manufactured products with natural ingredients are the best choice. We have them listed above or below.
• If you choose a manufactured product, read the details on the bottle. You might find the details that could assist you in its use or the details that make it a poor fit for you. Buy a good product or make one yourself and proceed.
• After washing, apply toner on your face. Dip a rolled cotton ball into toner and apply on your face. The results are a cleaner face, balanced pH, and smaller pores.
• Open the mask package and bring out the mask carefully. Squeeze out the essence and return the mask into its package.
• Massage the essence into your skin.
• Pick the mask and wear as required. Lay it on your face. The holes should fit the appropriate places, that is your eyes, nose and mouth. Spend a minute pressing the sheet mask on your face.
• Set a timer for between 15-20 minutes. This is the maximum; you can even go lower and remove the mask after 15 minutes.
• After the time has elapsed, peel the mask off.
• Some liquid will be left on your face. Massage it on your face.
• Round it up by adding a perfect moisturizer. We recommended non-comedogenic lotions.
• Be specific with what you add to your face after the process. Cream or ointment is good for dry skin. Oil-based moisturizer is great for sensitive skin. Go for serums if you have dark spots on your skin.
• You may use a facial sunscreen for outdoor activities.
• When cleaning your face, use a cleanser with a low pH balance. ALWAYS.
• The mask should cover your face without too many folds.
• Most sheets will fit every face size and shape. But to get it right, attach the forehead first.
• Most sheet masks do not have sun protection, so use a sunscreen to protect you afterwards.
• Don’t wear them for too long. Not for longer than 15-20 minutes. When it stays for too long, it dries and sucks the moisture in your face.
• Never wash your face after the process.
• Be consistent in your use. If you have adopted two days in the week to use them, Sunday evening and Friday night, stick to that. There is no side effect if you do otherwise – it is just a recommendation.
• Don’t store the sheet in the cupboard. Store your sheet masks in the skincare fridge.
• Does the sheet look like it has too much essence? Boil the sheet mask in water and repackage it into its case. Use it as serums twice or more.
• Make your own sheet masks if the mask is costly.
• Remember, sheet masks are made as a form of luxury and nourishing skin care products. If you want something deeper, try serums or oils.
• Sheet masks are reusable.
Remember sheet masks are made of two components: the sheet and the essence.
For the sheet, materials such as 100% cotton dish towel or a piece of silk or other materials can be used. Cut it in the shape of the face and use it as the sheet.
For the essence, below are seven options you could try.
DIY Hydrating & Anti-Aging Sheet Mask
• Distilled water
• Rosehip seed oil
• Mix ¼ cup of distilled water, ½ teaspoon of honey and 5-7 drops of rosehip oil in a bowl. Stir with a spoon.
• Soak the DIY mask into the bowl until it is fully saturated.
• Withdraw the mask, and squeeze excess liquid till it doesn’t drip.
DIY Acne-Fighting Sheet Mask
• Tea tree oil
• Eucalyptus oil
• Mix in the ingredients in this ratio: 3 drops of rose water, 5 drops of tea tree oil and 5 drops of eucalyptus oil. Stir.
• Dip your DIY sheet mask into the moisture to saturate it.
• Withdraw the mask from the formula, squeeze till it stops dripping, and use.
DIY Detoxifying Sheet Mask
• Green tea
• Add an equal amount of the ingredients together in a bowl. Stir and blend with a fork.
• Dip your DIY sheet mask in the bowl to saturate it. Wait till it is fully soaked.
• Withdraw the mask from the formula and squeeze till it stops dripping to use it.
DIY Honey Bee Sheet Mask
• 1/2 tsp of manuka honey (or other raw honey)
• 1/16 tsp of powdered bee pollen
• 10 drops of propolis tincture (make yours)
• 5 drops of honeyquat
• 2 drops of royal jelly extract
• 30gr of warm water
• 2 sheet masks
• Put honey, pollen, propolis, honeyquat, royal jelly, and warm water together in a bowl. Stir to blend it.
• Dip your DIY sheet mask in the bowl to saturate it. Wait till it is fully soaked.
• Withdraw the mask from the formula and squeeze till it stops dripping.
• You will be left with enough serums that could serve for another use. Store it in a jar and then, in the fridge.
DIY Seaweed Sheet Mask
• A few sheets of organic Nori seaweed
• Filtered water or green tea
• Put filtered water in a plate.
• Dip the seaweed in the water to moisten it.
• Wait for two minutes and use.
• Remember, you can use green tea in place of filtered water.
DIY Tea Tree Sheet Mask for Acne-Prone Skin
• ¼ cup of distilled water
• 3 drops of tea tree oil
• ¼ cup of witch hazel
• Mix all the ingredients.
• Place the mask on it until it is saturated.
DIY Rosehip Seed Oil Sheet Mask
• ¼ cup of distilled water
• ½ teaspoon of honey
• 5-7 drops of rosehip seed oil
• Mix all the ingredients. Stir with a fork or a spoon.
• Dip the mask in the mixture for some minutes for it to soak.
And we have come to the end of everything you need to get better facial skin using a sheet mask. We hope you have learned a few tips that could change your old routine. If you are new to sheet masks, go ahead and try them.
Photos via @michaelategg, @the_fashion.blogger, @carmushka, @hgselfcare, @roses_cloud