Almost everyone has heard of hair serums through advertisements. The lady who has a poor hair growth might think her frustration of hair loss has finally found a solution. A smile appears on her face; the media is portraying the magic of hair serum.
Hair serums contain propitious ingredients. They shelter the hair shaft. If you consistently use them, you will enjoy a better hair appearance. Your hair would not be dry and loose that you hate it – just as the media has said.
But don’t miss it. Hair serums differ from hair nourishing products like protein hair treatments or hair oils. They work at the surface. And yes, they change the hair appearance if you know how to use them.
So, how do they work? And what are the differences between hair serums and hair oils? Many choices exist on the market – which are the best hair serums? And how do you use them right to deliver the promise advertised? Let’s talk about this! As an added bonus, we also present some of the easiest homemade hair serums for your hair type.
Guide to Using Hair Serums: Contents
• 17 Best Hair Serums to Buy Now
• What Is Hair Serum?
• Hair Serum Benefits
• Differences Between Hair Serum & Hair Oil: Which One Is Right for You?
• How to Use Hair Serum?
• Homemade Hair Serums for Your Hair Type
Your hair deserves the best. The best are in the store, online and on the market, but you can’t rely on what is written on the bottle. Every manufacturer calls its own the best. Here we have simplified the process. You just have to choose between 17 best hair serums to buy now.
1. Kiehl’s Since 1851 Silk Groom Serum
For a polished look, this hair serum is the right option. It will make the hair shine to a glossy appearance. If you are also thinking of styles like smooth, straight, curly – anything, – it is made easy. It encourages the needed flexibility in hair styling and is rich in vitamin E, but also protects the hair from humidity. One of the best hair serums you can find, this option is available through Nordstrom.
2. Amika Blockade Heat Defense Serum
As you engage your hair in thermal styling and blow-drying, this hair serum will keep your hair safe like a warrior’s shield. It is made of cyclopentasiloxane, which is a good heat protective agent. Once you apply this product to your hair, the hair will retain moisture. And the appearance will look glossy. Get this bottle from Sephora!
3. John Masters Organics Dry Hair Nourishment & Defrizzer
One of the best hair serums for frizzy hair, this product is made of natural plants, and essential oils. When applied to the hair, it restores the hair’s shiny appearance. It protects it from further damage and reduces frizz. Perhaps frizz has been giving you a lot of headache. Here is a product from Dermstore that will relieve the headache. Frizzy hair or not, it is perfect for all hair types.
4. Iles Formula Haute Performance Finishing Serum
An environmental assault is an enemy of healthy hair. You wash and keep your hair protected all the time to escape. Here is what you should apply to wash, anytime – this hair serum available from Sephora. It protects the hair from damage or breakage with its blended ingredients such as vitamins, nuts oil, silk, and ceramides.
5. Devacurl Mirrorcrurls Ultimate Shine Serum
Devacurl’s hair serum does not have silicone in its content. It works instantly, changing the hair appearance. Other ingredients in this great product include sunflower extract. This ingredient makes it a perfect product for you and anyone who wants beautiful, shiny hair. Available from Nordstrom, this hair serum can be used to ease the amount of time and effort needed in styling.
6. Alterna Haircare Caviar Infinite Color Hold Vibrancy Serum
Talk about a hair serum that is a game changer. It is a hair serum with a dual-boosting characteristic. It brings back the hair’s shiny ability and refreshes the color. Think of it as a color treatment product that will not leave your hair as dull as it met it. This hair serum sells through Sephora.
7. Moroccanoil Blow-Dry Concentrate
If you have rebellious hair that is difficult to manage, here is a product that makes things simple. One of the best hair serums for heat styling, it controls intense frizz and makes blow-drying easier. Not only that, it rejuvenates the hair to a polished and smooth appearance. Yet, the brush will glide through the hair easily when this rich hair serum is used on it. Find this one from Nordstrom!
8. Phyto Phytolissse Ultra-Glossing Finishing Serum
For sublime, sleeker hair, this is the best hair serum. It is an ultra-lightweight serum that softens the hair and excites a more beautiful hair appearance. When it is used, the serum will block humidity from gaining access to the hair shaft. This product can be used all day without the hair feeling heavy. It is lightweight in content. It’s available at Nordstrom.
9. Gloss Moderne High-Gloss Serum
For a thermal protection, this hair serum from Dermstore is the shield you can count on. It acts like a lip-gloss on your hair, making it shine more and more, as it is protected from heat. It is light – does not make the hair feel heavy. It is safe – does not contain harmful toxins like parabens or sulfates. It rather contains keratin and other nutrients.
10. Paul Mitchell Smoothing Super Skinny Serum
Available at Ulta Beauty, this hair serum seals and conditions the hair. With this product as your support, you can smile in the mirror as the hair shines. In any weather, you will not experience hair frizz. In addition, it speeds up the hair drying process. In a short time, the hair becomes silky and smooth.
11. OGX Nourishing Coconut Milk Anti-Breakage Serum
One of its ingredients is coconut oil. This hair serum is associated with many benefits, one of which is giving weak and brittle hair strength and elasticity. And to do so, it doesn’t make your hair insanely greasy. It smells luxuriously sweet too. Don’t forget to apply it daily and keep looking like a princess. Get your bottle from Ulta Beauty!
12. Qhemet Biologics Castor & Moringa Softening Serum
Think of moisturizing your hair with a product that gives more than you ask for. It softens the hair. Either your hair is dry or brittle; here is your tool for transformation right in a bottle. Moreover, this hair serum from Sephora protects your hair from harsh conditions. You don’t have to fret. Moringa oil, one of its ingredients, is a highly valued emollient.
13. Tigi Bed Head Control Freak Serum
You could get a lot of this product if applied when the hair is still wet. Wet or not, it helps to transform your hair. It becomes shiny and glossy. Frizz will not get to you. Your hair will be transformed into magical looking curls. Get it from Ulta Beauty and rock!
14. Madam C.J. Walker Beauty Culture Coconut & Moringa Oils Flyaway Curl Control Serum
Frizz-zone curls are likely to refract. Then, they look dull. But you have a solution. This frizz-control hair serum is formulated with ingredients that make the hair shine. It also protects the hair from the unfavorable condition. It works to restore moisture to dry hair. This hair serum can be found online at Sephora.
15. Carol’s Daughter Monoi Oil Sacred Strengthening Serum
This hair serum has its strengthening power from monoi oil. This oil originates from Tahiti – a blend of coprah coconut oil and Tiare gardenia flower. Available at Ulta Beauty, this hair serum helps to correct problems related to color treating, chemicals, and heat styling. For people in hot regions, it protects your hair from sun exposure. And yet, it is silicone-free, which means it doesn’t weigh down like silicon.
16. Vernon Francois Light Weight Styling Serum
Say no to heat damage, and yes to a lightweight and safe hair styling! The natural texture and appearance of the hair are improved with this hair serum. It helps in styling. With just a few drops your hair is safe from heat damage. Get a bottle from Sephora!
17. Form Protect Heat Serum
This hair serum is your way to prevent hair breakage. It isn’t greasy to make your hair feel heavy. Available at Sephora, this product offers heat protection with its fortified heat protectants. Walk into heat styling with more confidence – you have protection in place. It works fine for almost all hair types. Wavy, curly, straight – name it. It works fine.
Hair serums are liquid hair care products made of silicone, ceramides and amino acids (and other ingredients depending on the manufacturer) aiming at detangling, smoothing the hair and removing the frizz. They coat the surface of the hair and are different from oils because they do not penetrate into the hair cuticles. Hair serums aim at hair softness, radiant shine, and free flow without getting tangled.
Among its ingredients, silicone is the most important. It is associated with the hair smoothness and the shiny appearance of the hair after using the serum. It is the ingredient with primary benefits to the user.
A good hair serum would protect the hair against the sun’s ultraviolet rays. If you are afraid of hair damage, dust and grimes would cause to your hair, you need hair serums too. It would coat the hair follicle, fill up the cracks in the follicle, and give the hair a glossy look.
Using hair serum regularly with the right products will make other hair treatments easier and faster.
Keep what you heard on advertisement off your mind for some minutes. You will pick it later – or forget it completely – if they are true. Here are the hair serum benefits you’ll get using one.
Hair Serums Reduce Breakage
We said earlier that hair serum covers the hair follicle and cracks in the hair shaft. As it does, the hair becomes stronger and making it hard to break. Further, we know dry hair types are at higher chance of breaking. Hair serums seal in moisturizers and help dry hair become stronger.
Protection of Hair
Hair serums protect the hair shaft. They prevent a harmful substance such as dirt, grime, sun ultraviolet rays, heat and pollutants from damaging the hair. Additionally, the amino acids contained provide protection to color-treated or heat-styled hair.
Hair Serums Speed up Hair Care Routine
Busy people can count on hair serum to help. It enhances the results expected from using hair care products. Therefore, it helps busy ladies to spend less time in hair care activities. If you use hair serum regularly, then, the effort and time you need for hair care will become minimal. For instance, it improves the hair flexibility that when you want to style the hair, it is absolutely easy.
As Beauty Products
From lustrous locks to softer strands, hair serum makes the hair appear smooth, shiny and glossy. When you are ready to make your hair shine brighter, then, call on hair serums – the right one – it does not usually disappoint. Curly and fizzy hair can testify to these.
Makes Oily Hair Easier to Clean
For those with oily hair, the right hair serum will keep the hair oil within and make the hair easier to wash. Your hair will not drip of too much oil if you choose the right hair serum.
It becomes difficult to choose between oils and hair serums when you read about the two. You read about the benefits but it’s hard to choose. I will just go for one, you say. They are both liquids in form, and yeah, they are hair care products.
However, they are used for different purposes. And one, out of the two, is right for your current hair condition. One out of the two, depending on some factors like what you want, will work better for your hair.
Let’s make this simple.
Hair serums can be classified as styling products. If you use them prior hair styling, the hair becomes wet and easy to style into styles. Two drops could be just enough to give the desired flexibility. Unlike hair oils, they won’t change the hair structure.
Their purpose is simple. The make the hair shine, get soft and free of tangles. They offer protection against sun exposure, the heat used in styling and against pollutants. To bring a better appearance that is glossy and shiny, they make the hair reflect light.
They will cover every hair follicle and the follicular cracks. The silicon content is protective and it is the reason they cover the shaft (too much of silicone content, however, can cause hair breakage and eventual hair loss, so choose your hair serum wisely).
Also, hair serums prevent the hair from being dry or brittle. The amino acid in its ingredients repairs the hair follicle.
Hair oils are hair food. They nourish, condition and give health benefits. When you apply them, they penetrate into the strands and work from there. They improve the health of the hair.
Fatty acids are stimulated in the hair to replace lipids. You remember; fatty acids help to prevent hair dryness and breakage. Also, just as they contribute to hair growth, oils can serve as a hair mask for dry hair types. Examples of hair oils include coconut oil, jojoba oil, argan oil, etc.
So generally, hair oils are health boosters, protective products and hair lubricants. They give multiple benefits than hair serums.
Which One Should You Choose?
What do you want? This will answer everything. If you look closely at the explanation above and relate it to what you want, you should be able to decide.
Hair serums are styling tools. Hair oils are hair food. While hair oils have many health benefits and make the hair grow faster and better, hair serums will only help to improve the hair’s appearance.
If you want to style your hair, consider hair serum. It will make the hair manageable especially if your hair is frizzy. For hair treatments and nourishment, hair oils are recommended. You know what you want now?
Hair serums, if used regularly, will benefit anytime you are ready to style. Hair oils on the other hand are the ones to use more for their health benefits – depending on what you want.
So you have understood the purpose and how hair serum works, but you haven’t understood how to use them. It isn’t hard. If you are attentive, you will use hair serum right and get the best result from it. Here is how!
• Get the right and the best hair serum. To do that, buy from respected brands. Read the details on the bottle to help you relate to what you expect and what the product will actually provide.
• For fine or oily hair, buy lightweight hair serums. Some hair serums are protective against heat. Ladies who usually perform heat styling will want to choose this type of hair serum.
• Ensure you read and compare details on the product and relate it to what you want.
• Read our list of the best hair serums to help you.
• Choose a shampoo that does not have cleaning agent for your wavy, curly or frizzy hair.
• You need to wash your hair first. Before washing, apply a drop or two (depending on the amount of hair on you) of serum, then wash it with shampoo.
• If your hair is the dry type and you will style after wash, then, hair serum should be applied when the hair is still wet.
Hair Serum Application Steps
• Apply the hair serum to your hair when it is still wet. If your hair is the extremely dry type, do not towel dry your hair. Just squeeze excess water out of it. You will add the serum to the hair while it is still wet.
• Moderation should be observed. Too much hair serum will make the hair heavy, too greasy and maybe messy. So, add drops of serum depending on the amount of hair you have.
• Style your hair, if you plan to style it.
• If you are going to use heat for styling, spray the hair with some heat protecting products.
• After styling, put a drop of hair serum (or more, depending on the quantity of hair) on your palm. Or put a drop over the hair in the middle.
• Wait for 5-6 seconds for the drops to liquefy.
• Rub your two palms against each other.
• Apply the serum to the back of your hair. Massage the hair, especially at the tip.
• Repeat the process to add more serum if it seems not to be enough.
• Comb the hair serum gently through your hair.
• For curls, re-curl your hair to add a fresh look to it.
• Blow-dry your hair to prevent dust accumulation.
Other Hair Serum Tips
• Your hair does not necessarily need to be dripping wet when applying hair serum. It just has to be damp.
• Before you buy hair serum, understand what you want and how it works.
• Buy another serum next time if you feel the one used was too greasy or not as greasy or dries too quickly.
• After application, you can cover the hair with a non-fluffy towel or an old T-shirt. Depending on the type of hair serum, this action helps the serum penetrates.
• If you want to use hair straighteners, use them before applying serums.
• Hair needs more serum at the root. Then, comb through.
• Don’t rub hair serum on your scalp. Only comb it through your hair.
• Avoid straighteners and heat styling tools – if you can. They cause hair damage.
• Moderation is important.
You can create your own hair serum. You will need the ingredients, the process and three minutes to read this section. And we are not going to teach you how to make just hair serum. We are creating homemade hair serums for specific hair types.
DIY Hair Serum for Damaged Hair
Various things could cause hair damage. It could be heat used in styling, the sunrays, chemicals or poor nutrition. No matter the cause, we can bring the damaged hair back to its status by making and using the right hair serum.
• 2 tablespoons of argan oil
• 3 tablespoons of jojoba oil
• 1 tablespoon of sea buckthorn oil
• 4 drops of essential oil
• 4 oz amber dropper bottle
• Pour the argan oil, the jojoba oil and sea buckthorn oil in a bottle.
• Add drops of essential oil into the bottle.
• Seal the bottle with its cap and shake.
• It is ready.
• Use as required and store properly.
DIY All-Natural Hair Serum for Frizzy Hair
This is the hair nourishment type of serum. It contains the ingredient that reduces frizz and improves the health of the hair. You will have smoother and healthier hair with your own made product.
• 1 tablespoon of organic jojoba oil
• 1 tablespoon of olive oil
• 10-12 drops of organic lavender essential oil
• 6 drops of organic peppermint essential oil
• Put all the ingredients in one bottle in the quantity specified.
• Shake the bottle gently and repeatedly.
• It is ready for use.
DIY Hair Serum for Hair Growth
If you have longer and thicker hair, you don’t have to search any more for the best hair serum recipe. The ingredients are rich enough for a hair look transformation. So let’s do this.
• 1 tablespoon of grape seed oil
• 1 tablespoon of jojoba oil
• 2 tablespoons of Jamaican black castor oil
• 2 tablespoons of glass dropper bottle
• 7 drops of lavender essential oil
• 7 drops of cedarwood essential oil
• 7 drops of rosemary essential oil
• 7 drops of thyme essential oil
• Pour the jojoba oil, Jamaican black castor oil, and grape seed oil in the glass bottle.
• Add the entire essential oils one after the other. Follow the number of drops indicated under the ingredients.
• Shake the bottle.
• It is ready for use.
DIY Hair Serum for Frizzy Hair
Do you know hair serum can help to maintain frizzy hair? If you do, you should know you make a hair serum at home yourself?
• ¼ cup of pure aloe vera gel
• 2 tablespoons of fractioned coconut oil
• 2.5 tablespoons of rose water
• 1 tablespoon of rose water
• 1 tablespoon vitamin E oil
• 12 drops of jasmine essential oil
• 4 tablespoon of amber bottle
• Put the specified amount of aloe vera gel in the blender.
• Add rose water, the coconut oil, and vitamin E and blend.
• After few seconds, use a funnel to pour the mixture into a disc-top bottle.
• Put 12 drops of jasmine oil into the bottle.
• Shake the bottle to mix.
• You can now use this hair serum on wet, washed hair.
DIY Hair Straightening Serum
Using heat regularly to keep hair straight can bring unappealing results. And it can cause hair breakage. But with this homemade hair serum, you don’t have to subject your hair to heat too often. It is a substitute for hair straighteners.
• 2 tablespoons of fractioned coconut oil
• 2 tablespoons of jojoba oil
• 2 tablespoons of olive oil
• 1 tablespoon of soybean oil
• 5 drops of jasmine essential oil
• Use the funnel to transfer the oils into the glass dropper bottle.
• Add 5 drops of jasmine essential oil.
• Close the bottle and shake to mix the content.
• The serum is now up for use.
DIY Hair Serum for Oily Hair
Oily hair is easy to be infected. Natural oil is being secreted on to the scalp of an oily hair lady. Dust particles and the sebum of the hair can produce the development of hair infections.
And you still need moisturizers. However, moderation is important. The right hair serum will moderate the amount of oil and help the scalp to be healthy. Here is how to create such a hair serum.
Grape seed oil is light and ‘dry’. It won’t make the hair get too greasy.
• 3 tablespoons of grape seed oil
• 1.5 tablespoons of hemp seed oil
• 1 tablespoon of watermelon seed oil
• 4 drops of rosemary essential oil
• 4 drops of lemon essential oil
• 4 drops of ylang-ylang essential oil
• Pour the hemp oil, the grape seed oil, and watermelon seed oil into the bottle.
• Put essential oils with the right amount of drops.
• Add all the other ingredients.
• Close the bottle and shake.
• You can now use your homemade hair serum.
Other ingredients can be used to help oily hair. Use this second option often, and your scalp will be free from infection.
• 4 tablespoon of lemon juice
• Some peppermint
• 4 drops of Geranium essential oils
• 4 tablespoons of coconut oil
• 4 tablespoons of jojoba oil
• Mix the ingredients in a bottle and shake.
• Use the serum rigorously on the hair and scalp.
DIY Hair Serum for Natural Hair
Natural hair is a blessing. You want to keep it fresh and glossy. And you want to save cost. This homemade hair serum will let you do that, even if you haven’t tried anything related before. It is for your natural hair.
• ½ cup of safflower oil
• 1 tablespoon of Jamaican black castor oil
• 2 tablespoons of pomegranate seed oil
• 10 drops of lavender essential oil
• 10 drops of rosemary essential oil
• 10 drops of ylang-ylang essential oil
• Pour the safflower oil, JBCO, avocado oil and pomegranate seed oil in the bottle.
• Add all the essential oils one at a time in the amount specified under ingredients.
• Close and shake the bottle.
• It’s ready.
DIY Hair Serum for Dry Hair
This is when you want to achieve results at their best. Keep the hair moisturized and nourished. The ingredients are well researched and are sure to deliver health benefits.
• 1 tablespoon of castor oil
• 1 oz of avocado oil
• 3 oz of sweet almond oil
• 8 drops of lavender essential oil
• 7 drops of sandalwood essential oil
• The almond oil, avocado oil, and sweet castor oil into a bottle.
• Add the sandwood and lavender essential oils.
• Add the other ingredients and close the bottle.
• Shake the bottle.
• You can now use your homemade hair serum.
Photos via @beckym_hair, @pinebarrenbeauty, @arielrayhamilton