Hair masks have great benefits and contain deeply revitalizing ingredients for your hair. There are so much you could get from using hair mask, and that is why we chose to enlighten you about hair mask, its benefits, and the right way to apply it for the best result.
In this article:
- What Is a Hair Mask?
- Hair Mask Benefits
- How to Use Hair Mask
- Important Hair Mask Tips
- DIY Hair Masks to Try at Home
Hair mask is a haircare product that works like hair conditioner but contains ingredients like natural oils, and lipids in higher concentrations to help perform a reparative treatment for damaged or unhealthy hair. So basically, it’s like a more powerful hair conditioner that brings more profound benefits for your hair. Hair mask usually has to be left in the hair for a while for it to work its way into all parts of your hair and repair it from root to tip.
All the stress you put your hair through by using styling products and exposing it to the environment can cause hair damage. It can even happen because of the seasonal change or humid weather conditions. With the hair mask you choose, you can repair any type of damage and protect your healthy mane.
Hair Mask Benefits
You can get so much from using hair mask regularly. But if you aren’t convinced yet, we have listed some of those benefits for you in this section.
- Using hair mask makes your hair very smooth and shiny. It also doesn’t leave any grease, which might cause dandruff later.
- It leaves your hair smelling really nice, especially the ones that are infused with sweet fragrance notes.
- Hair mask contains ingredients that are aimed at repairing damaged hair and protecting your hair strands from any form of external damage.
- The elements can sometimes be tough on your hair and can lead to frizzy hair or parched strands. Hair mask is beneficial in nourishing your hair with the necessary minerals and vitamins. It also hydrates your mane so that it looks healthy and vibrant.
- You can use hair mask for color-treated hair or keratin-treated hair without worrying about side effects. It can even help preserve the treatment effects so that your hair looks beautiful.
- It is also great for those who don’t want to spend so much time treating their hair in the salon. So for great in-between styling treatment, hair mask is the ideal product.
How to Use Hair Mask for an Effective Haircare Routine
You need to know how to use hair mask properly so that you can get the best result. It works better when applied to slightly damp hair and you might have to play around a bit until you know the right amount for your hair.
Now that you have gotten the best hair mask for your hair type, you need to read the instructions carefully. There might be some products that are designed for weekly use, while others are bi-weekly masking treatments. Then look for a shirt you are no longer using or wrap yourself around with a towel because the process might get messy.
- Wash your hair as you usually do and then towel-dry until it is slightly damp. You can also comb your hair to get rid of tangles.
- Apply the hair mask according to the instructions on the package. You can also separate your hair into sections and apply it section by section, from root to tip, at a time.
- Use a comb to make sure that the mask has been spread evenly, then wrap your head with a towel – warm environment boosts the effectiveness of hair mask.
- Leave the mask in your hair according to the time specified on the package.
- Rinse your hair using a shampoo and water. Then finish the whole process with a conditioner to keep your hair moisturized.
- Squeeze out any excess water, then leave your hair to air-dry.
Important Hair Mask Tips to Know
There are certain things you need to know so that your hair masking experience can be better than just ordinary. Here are some of those hair mask tips:
Use It Overnight
You can apply a hair mask to your hair after taking your shower at night and sleep in it. Just wrap your head with a silk scarf or your towel and sleep in it. Rinse it out in the morning for superb moisturized, soft and smooth hair.
After using your hair mask, you can wash it out and then condition your hair. If you don’t properly wash out hair mask, it could leave residue in your hair. Using your regular conditioner after applying a hair mask helps get much healthier and gorgeous hair.
Use Hot Towel or Shower Cap
In the previous section, we mentioned how warm environment makes hair mask more efficient. Well, you can add more warmth to it by using a hot towel. To get this apply a little bit of heat to your towel before using it to wrap your hair. You could also get a shower cap and make sure that your hair is well tucked in to give you the best result.
Don’t Use Hair Mask for Greasy Hair
If you notice that your hair becomes greasy after applying hair mask, then it could be because that particular product is too oily for your hair type. Refer back to our tips on how to get the best hair mask for your hair type and needs.
You don’t need to always sleep with your hair mask in or keep it in your hair for the whole day to get results. 10 minutes can be enough to get you the result you desire.
Focus More on the Ends
The ends of your hair are always the first to lose moisture, so when you are applying your hair mask, focus more on this part. They need more attention.
Use Wide-Tooth Comb
After washing your hair, use a wide-tooth comb to smoothen your hair. And still, use it to run through your hair when you are done applying it to make sure that the product spreads evenly.
Follow a Weekly Routine
Except there is a contrary instruction on the body of your hair mask, you can apply hair mask to your hair weekly. This would make your hair look healthier with more bounce and protect it from damage. If your hair is really damaged, you can use it twice a week instead.
Don’t Use It for Split Ends
Hair trims are the only proven method to repair split ends. Don’t try to use a hair mask to repair them – the product will only work to prevent future split ends for your hair.
A Couple of DIY Hair Masks to Try at Home
Certain ingredients in your kitchen would make an excellent hair mask. So if you are up for it, we feature some fantastic DIY hair mask recipes that would do the same thing those jars on the store shelves will do. And you will probably save a little by trying them out.
Coconut Oil and Honey Hair Mask
Coconut oil is loaded with fatty acids, and it penetrates the hair much more deeply than hair conditioners. The addition of honey makes a combination that helps your hair stay soft, smooth and retains moisture. Honey is also a natural humectant that brings back lost sheen and boosts hydration.
- Pour 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and equal amount of honey into a bowl and mix well.
- Transfer the mixture into a pot to heat it up.
- Section your hair and apply it to each section from top to bottom.
- Cover your head with a warm towel or shower cap and leave it in for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse out.
Egg and Lemon Hair Mask
Eggs are full of benefits for the body, and apart from that they contain vitamins A, D, and E, with fatty acids and proteins to help your hair retain luster and shine. You can add lemon to it to strengthen your hair and add life back into limp strands. For those with oily scalp, this mixture will absorb the excess oil and clean any deposit that might have been left on your hair by styling products.
- Get only the egg white form one egg into a mixing bowl, and then squeeze half of a lemon into it.
- Mix until you achieve a smooth paste.
- Make sure your hair is damp and apply the mixture from top to bottom.
- Cover your hair with a towel or shower cap and let it stay for 30-45 minutes.
- Rinse off with a shampoo and conditioner.
Yogurt, Apple Cider Vinegar, and Lemon Hair Mask
The combination of these three ingredients is perfect for cleaning up product build-up and washing away any excess oil. They also contain zinc and lactic acid for moisturizing your hair.
- Mix the yogurt, apple cider vinegar, and lemon together in a bowl.
- Dilute with a little water to ensure your hair color doesn’t fade.
- Apply your DIY hair mask to your hair and leave it to sit for 20-30 minutes.
- Wash off with shampoo and use your regular conditioner.
Brown Sugar and Olive Oil Hair Mask
Olive oil is a natural conditioner that helps lock in hair moisture and prevent breakage. With brown sugar, you get a mixture that also gets rid of dead cells from your scalp and washes away styling product residue. You can use it to treat dry hair and save your hair from dandruff.
- Get a bowl and mix 2 tablespoons of brown sugar with one tablespoon of olive oil.
- Apply it to your scalp and the entire length of your hair.
- Cover your hair and leave it in for 15-20 minutes.
- Then rinse it.
These are just a few ways to go about making a DIY hair mask for yourself. You can still try a mixture of ingredients like banana, honey, avocado, and strawberry.
Photos via @bymaleiah, Instagram