You have probably wondered how to use a cuticle remover before. Even though the removal of cuticles is widely deemed as non-beneficial to nail health, the cosmetic value is still quite valid. I am guessing you want those astonishing nails that make everyone stare. Let’s proceed and make those nails beautiful using one of the best cuticle removers correctly.
Tips for Buying and Using a Cuticle Remover: Contents
- 9 Best Cuticle Removers to Buy
- Some Notes on Cuticles
- What Is a Cuticle Remover and How Does It Work?
- Types of Cuticle Removers
- Tips for Choosing the Best Cuticle Remover
- Pros and Cons of Using Cuticle Remover
- How to Use a Cuticle Remover
To gently remove the dead skin from the cuticle area and make your nails look healthier, here you have 9 of the best cuticle removers that never fail!
1. Deborah Lippmann Cuticle Remover – Exfoliating Cuticle Nail Treatment
Deborah Lippmann is at it again with this cuticle remover, which is considered a higher-grade product respected for its comfort and ease. One of its main ingredients is lanolin oil, also called the virgin wool wax.
Unlike most cuticle removers, you do not really need to soak your nails in this solution, as the product softens the dead skin instantaneously. Lastly, there is good news for people with sensitive skin: you can use this cuticle remover without tension, as it’s perfect for every skin type. Get it from Sephora!
2. Sally Hansen Instant Cuticle Remover
This is what you get when aloe vera meets green tea and chamomile to soften cuticles and fight all unwanted irritations. This cuticle remover is the best when it comes to the removal of dead and dry cuticles and even calluses. Hence, the product is a two-in-one that you can use easily and frequently.
Give it 20 seconds and it will melt any cuticle by breaking down the dead skin in a relieving way and moisturizing the outlying skin all at once. You can pick it up at Ulta Beauty.
3. butter LONDON Melt Away Cuticle Exfoliator
This effective cuticle remover is a fully tested commodity that is used by professionals. It contains a thick paraben-free gel formula, which works by melting the overgrown cuticles and seamlessly removing them – all in just 120 seconds. Get yourself a bottle from Ulta Beauty!
4. Pacifica Clean Up Cuticle Remover
With the active help of glycerin, citric acid, aloe extract, and jojoba oil, this cuticle remover replaces the unhealthy bond of the dry and dead cuticles with healthy and new cuticles. It also exfoliates them gently without damaging your skin or nails. You can remove the unwanted cuticles without cutting or nipping, which tends to hurt the skin and could even result in bigger complications at times. Just pick up this cuticle remover at Ulta Beauty!
5. SpaRitual Cuti-Quench Conditioning Cuticle Creme
What can be more preferred than a product which removes rough, unwanted cuticles and softens the skin all at once? This cuticle remover nourishes and moisturizes healthy skin and exfoliates dead skin thanks to its formula of apple extract, avocado oil, coconut oil, ginger, safflower oil, aloe vera, castor oil, glycerine, vitamins E and A, and many more ingredients.
This cream has been tested and tried by experts so you can make use of it freely without tension. The size of its tube is also one more thing to like about, as it allows you to easily carry around. This cuticle remover can be found online at Amazon.
6. Mavala Cuticle Remover
Lanolin oil is the main ingredient in this Mavala product, which does its job perfectly well thanks to its thixotropic formula. This swift and convenient solution removes dead cuticles just like magic and could be well used during pedicures, manicures, and even artificial nails sessions. It also saves plenty of time. You can get your hands on this cuticle remover at Ulta Beauty.
7. 5 Second Nail Quickie Cuticle Remover
From the stables of widely known nail glue maker 5 Second Nail, the Quickie cuticle remover does its cuticle-dissolving job in mere seconds. As you might have guessed, this substance uses only 5 seconds to dissolve and condition the cuticles. This is a cost-effective product, which comprises substances that guide the fine skin from all wear and tear and unwanted damages. It is available online on Amazon.
8. California Mango Cuticle Remover
Most times, making use of a cuticle remover dries up the outlying skin. However, this product is not going to do that thanks to the special formula by California Mango. You will not need to clip or cut the dead skin around the nails, as it is a great product you can use on a daily basis without any danger or harm afflicted on the fragile skin. It conditions and softens the cuticles and does not dry out the skin. Get it from Amazon now!
9. Esteemia Cuticle Away Remover
Just 45 seconds, and your cuticles are as soft as some products would take minutes to deliver. Just apply this cuticle remover, wait for 45 minutes, and push back your cuticles with an orange stick or wooden manicure stick. It is yet another easy and fast way of eradicating dead skin around the cuticles, and it is created through a mixture of four hydroxyl acids that are all good for the skin. It also assists in avoiding excessive growth of the nails and callused skin on hands and feet. You can grab it online on Amazon.
Before we talk about cuticle removers, let’s talk about cuticles themselves.
There are a lot of misconceptions and myths regarding what cuticles actually are. Between your nails and your fingers, there are three consecutive parts. These are the eponychium, the nail matrix, and the cuticle.
The nail matrix is the least visible part that is just below the skin surface and is responsible for growing your nails. Most people see the eponychium as the cuticle. It is just the skin that you can see touching your nail.
This part of your body is prone to splitting and hangnails when it gets dry. The eponychium sheds off dead skin regularly just like the other parts of your body.
But, the eponychium sheds the dead skin directly on the nail, which in turn forms a layer of dead skin between the nail plate and the eponychium. This is the cuticle; it is the dead skin layer that develops over the top of your nails.
Cuticle removers are very useful in keeping your nail in a tidy state and clean as well. They can also help to protect your nails against an infection.
Taking Care of Cuticles
Since cuticles are an essential part of the skin, you cannot take proper care of your nails without caring for your cuticles alongside. Yet, cuticles are there for a natural reason… yes, you do not just have them for nothing! They serve as protection against bacteria and other nasty substances from entering your nails.
Most people find this as enough reason to keep their cuticles intact. But, you can gently slough them off or push them back into the skin folds.
When you slice them off completely, this barrier could be removed and it could provide an opportunity for bacteria and nail fungus to attack your nails. But if you leave them unattended to, they will become rough and dirty. Hence, what is the best way to care for your cuticles?
The significance of a proper hygiene cannot be emphasized. You may decide to push back your cuticles gently on a daily basis but this is unhygienic and never the best option.
Your cuticles might begin to build up for no reason and they can quickly change the appearance of your nails while leaving you to the scaly effect of flaking skin and irritation. It is therefore vital to find a way to remove them gently without causing any possible damage to your nails.
The answer to the best way to care for your cuticles is the use of a cuticle remover. Even though the term is quite self-explanatory, let’s attach more insightful notes to what a cuticle remover is.
A cuticle remover is a high-pH (somewhere between 10 and 14) solution that dissolves and weakens the formulation of skin cells with the help of a chemical. This means cuticle removers use acidic substances to weaken your cuticles so you can easily remove them. With this knowledge, we know we have to wash our hands thoroughly after using a cuticle remover.
Some cuticle removers do not use the usual high pH base; instead, they use acids (pH of 7 or less). Alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs) and beta hydroxy acids (BHAs) are derived from foods and they can dissolve dead skin cells easily.
If you have ever used a cuticle pusher tool or even an orange stick to poke at your cuticles, you might have discovered that those little skin layers are tougher than they look. Most cuticle removers have sodium hydroxide as the active ingredient, which has a pH level between 11 and 13.
Further, there is no specific nail cream or wash to use after utilizing a cuticle remover, so you can quickly wash it off with soap and water. Nonetheless, you have to exercise caution and read the manufacturer’s instruction on the container because most cuticle removers cannot tell the difference between live and dead skin cells.
Cuticle removers are ideal because they will not remove the cuticles entirely, but only the dead and rough skin of the cuticle. Let’s consider the primary types of cuticle removers and how to know the best cuticle remover for your nails.
• Cuticle-Removing Gels: This kind of cuticle remover is a gel-like substance. You can easily apply a thin ribbon of the cuticle-removing gel and leave it for a minute or two. Gel cuticle removers are perfect for softening hardened nails and preventing the cuticles from rippling apart. They gently remove dead skin in a fast and painless manner while soothing skin irritations alongside.
• Cream-Based Cuticle Removers: These are exfoliating creams that are thick and applied to the nail beds and the cuticles. It does the same job as the gel cuticle remover, only has a different texture.
• Cuticle Liquids: Cuticle removers in liquid or oily forms regularly come in a bottle similar to a nail polish. You can apply them on your cuticles to dissolve the dead skin fast.
• Cuticle Sticks: You can use cuticle sticks to gently push back your cuticles if you do not want to apply a liquid- or cream-based cuticle remover on your nails. Cuticle sticks are wooden sticks that are available in packs of 5-10. Aside from helping you fix your cuticles, these sticks are also perfect for correcting mistakes when painting your nails.
• Cuticle Nippers: If you wish to cut off your cuticles completely, it is important to use great cuticle nippers. Stainless steel nippers are ideal, and they need to be very sharp with good blades.
Now that you know the various types of cuticle removers available, consider these tips for choosing the best one.
• The Price: Generally, cuticle removers are affordable and easy to find in stores so you can comfortably and cheaply care for your nails. The prices of a good cuticle remover range from $5 to $10. But if you want a professional to do the job, you should expect to pay $20 or more for it.
• Good Constituents: Most cuticle removers have no harmful chemicals as the active ingredients. And they contain moisturizers, so you do not have to worry about restoring your nail to its previous glowing state after sloughing out the cuticles.
• Value for Your Money: When shopping for the best cuticle remover, ensure you compare the various prices of different products and their relative prices so you know if you will get good value for your money. Also, compare the sizes of the bottle or gel tube with the price. Bigger bottles have relatively lower prices than smaller ones.
Cuticle removers are extremely important for nail care. A proper cuticle remover offers several skincare benefits but not without some associated disadvantages as well.
• Most cuticle removers have sodium hydroxide as a part of their active ingredients. This enables you to gently remove the dead skin from your nail plate without hurting yourself in the process. It also helps to soften the cuticles before you peel them off your nail plate.
• Cuticle removers help to give your fingernails a much prettier manicure look. Whenever you push back your cuticles, you make your nails appear longer and neater.
• Cuticles can become damaged and are prone to infections by nail fungus. Hence, a cuticle remover gives that special care to prevent dryness and flaking.
• When you apply the cuticle remover on a very rough cuticle, it might not yield the desired result within a short time.
Moving on, the journey to beautiful and clean nails begins with choosing the best cuticle remover. After that, here is a simple guide on how to safely remove your cuticles without harming your skin texture.
Step 1: Clean Your Nails
Clean your nails and use a good nail polish remover to remove any nail polish still hanging on your nails. Then, wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water to ensure the remover is off completely.
Step 2: Applying the Cuticle Remover
Choose your preferred cuticle remover type and apply it. If you are using a cuticle gel or cream, you should apply a thin coat of the cuticle remover on your cuticles with the little brush that comes with the product.
Squeeze the bottle or tube to release the cuticle and press it gently on your cuticles. Do note that most cuticles take some time to soften. Also, ensure you read the manufacturer’s instruction before use.
You can leave it for 2 minutes before washing it off, after which you have to wash your hands clean.
Step 3: Removing the Cuticles
When the cuticle is finally soft, you can begin to remove the dead skin flaps from the nail plate. You can use an orange stick wood alongside a cuticle remover cream or gel to scrape off the dead skin from your nails.
With the help of a good cuticle remover, you can safely remove those cuticles without causing damage to your nail plate.
Photos via @evelyneslava_, @blackorchid2017, @tsangtastic, @thatsotee, @jammin_beauty