This post may contain affiliate links.
Green eye makeup can be very intimidating. Green is a strong color, and the various green eyeshadow shades play differently against different skin tones. When people don’t choose the correct shade, they can run into all sorts of problems, but that shouldn’t deter you – it should encourage you to make the most informed decision available.
We can help you with that! Read on for our 21 picks for the best green eyeshadow palettes and singles, and a few green eye makeup tips and tricks to help you out with your application and choice. If you have a favorite you would like to recommend, let us know!
Green Eyeshadow Guide: Contents
- 21 Best Green Eyeshadow Palettes & Singles to Try
- How to Choose the Best Green Eyeshadow Color Based on Your Skin Tone
- Tips for Choosing the Right Green Eyeshadow for Your Eye Color
- How to Wear Green Eyeshadow with Class: Green Eye Makeup Tips
From opulent emerald green to more toned-down options, these 21 are our favorite green eyeshadow options you should consider experimenting with.
1. Charlotte Tilbury Luxury Eyeshadow Palette in The Rebel
Charlotte Tilbury has several luxury palettes, but the four-step green eyeshadow quad called The Rebel is the perfect choice for anyone who wants to experiment with green. This palette features several coordinating shades that have an easily buildable, highly pigmented non-creasing formula that is perfect for creating several different looks with all the colors you could need for your intended eye look. You can order yours from Sephora.
2. Chanel Ombre Premiere Longwear Cream Eyeshadow in 824 Verderame
Chanel’s green eyeshadow is formulated to apply like a dream and show off thorough color and a satin finish. The color Verderame does this perfectly, especially when you want a great shade of green. This cream is designed for a full day wear and comes with a rounded tip brush to optimize your chances for a perfect application. If you intend to mix this green eyeshadow with another, that isn’t a problem as they mix very well. Order your own Chanel shadow in Verderame today from Nordstrom!
3. Huda Beauty Obsessions Eyeshadow Palette in Emerald
The benefits of a green eyeshadow palette include having a group of complementary colors in a single place for dozens of looks. The Emerald palette was hand-curated by Huda to include several different finishes, and all the shades are beautiful and true to color. In the case of this eyeshadow palette the colors will help you customize a flattering look in green shades for yourself. Order your palette at Sephora!
4. MAC Dazzleshadow Green Eyeshadow in Try Me On
MAC’s glitter-streaked green eyeshadow named Try Me On is richly colored thanks to true-to-color pigments and a healthy dose of glitter. The formula for this eyeshadow creates a texture that rides the line between cream and powder perfectly. The sparkling surface of your eyelid with this eyeshadow on is hard to miss. Order your dazzling green eyeshadow from Nordstrom!
5. Urban Decay Green Eyeshadow in Zodiac
Urban Decay’s Zodiac green eyeshadow is a shimmery green that floats across your eyelids for an effortless look. The texture and formula have been improved upon for a softer feel but richer wear. The new version of the eyeshadow is quick and easy to apply smoothly. The high-impact color means that it is a shade of green that will not go unnoticed. Pick up yours from Nordstrom!
6. Kjaer Weis Cream Eyeshadow in Sublime
Kjaer Weis’ green eyeshadow is a creamy, rich hunter green that dries to a velvet smooth matte finish. The formula includes both coconut and sunflower seed oils as well as Cera Alba to protect and heal skin while wearing it. The color payoff is unmistakable and long-wearing, making Sublime a perfect choice for a green smoky eye. Order yours from Net-a-Porter!
7. Anastasia Beverly Hills Eye Shadow Singles in Emerald
The “finely milled” texture of the shadow allows for the emerald color to pop. This version of green eyeshadow is actually a rich forest green with a metallic finish that would look amazing in a slew of looks and on a variety of skin tones. These eyeshadow singles were created to help you customize a palette, so order your emerald eyeshadow single from Sephora and get started on yours!
8. Bobbi Brown Luxe Green Eyeshadow in Poison Ivy
The Bobbi Brown green eyeshadow is designed to be multidimensional and metallic. It is the perfect mix of chromatic pigments for rich color and unmistakable sparkle. The shadow can be applied with a dry brush, a damp brush or even with a fingertip for a stunning smooth look because the formula is prepared for all instance. Order yours from Nordstrom!
9. Stila Shimmer & Glow Liquid Eye Shadow in Vivid Jade
The smooth application and literal shimmering glow of the Stila liquid eyeshadow in Vivid Jade is one of the richest and deepest green eyeshadow colors on this list. The formula is complete and well thought out so it can even be worn without a primer. It looks heavy but is actually featherlight and super soft. This liquid eyeshadow doesn’t transfer and is non-tacky with minimal fallout during wear. Order a tube for yourself from Sephora!
10. Burberry Beauty Wet & Dry Silk Eye Shadow in Aqua Green
Burberry Beauty’s green eyeshadow is inspired by the house’s spring 2015 runway show and can be applied wet or dry to achieve different looks. The collection was named ‘The Birds and The Bees’ and was unmistakably fresh and light. This green eyeshadow powder provides stunning satin-soft, buildable coverage to create your desired intensity. It comes in a mirrored compact for an ease use and can be purchased from Net-a-Porter.
11. Milk Makeup Eye Pigment in Mermaid Parade
Milk Makeup’s eye pigment comes in a quick-drying, blendable formula in a squeeze tube for easy application. Mermaid Parade is just what you’re looking for when you want a very pigmented cream eyeshadow that dries to a whisper soft finish. Best of all? No creasing! This is a stunning green eyeshadow with a metallic sheen that is perfect for a night out. Get yours from Sephora!
12. Tarte Tarteist Metallic Shadow in Jaded
Jaded is a rich forest green eyeshadow color with a metallic sheen that is only available online. The formula provides staying power and serious metallic luster in a bold shade that blends beautifully with other colors. Unlike other pigments, this one is much less messy but still manages to deliver a smooth multidimensional green. You can order yours from Ulta Beauty.
13. NARS Hardwired Single Green Eyeshadow in Goa
The NARS Metallic Hardwired eyeshadows are a metallic range that includes the shade Goa, a stunning iridescent peacock green. This green eyeshadow is well-pigmented and formulated to deliver serious shine on all skin tones. Inspired by precious metals, these are crease-proof eyeshadows you can expect to glitter all night without becoming too overpowering, even in Goa green. Order yours from Sephora!
14. Lancôme Color Design Velvet Metallic Eyeshadow in Sirens Emerald
Lancôme offers a lot of beautiful eyeshadow singles in a variety of finishes, but Sirens Emerald is a shade that deserves to be singled out. The color is rich and dreamy and as velvety smooth as the name implies. Sweeping this green eyeshadow on is nearly effortless and it blends well with complementary colors. The pigment is true to color and long-lasting with a metallic finish that will give you endless ideas for looks. Order yours or pick one up from Nordstrom!
15. ColourPop Super Shock Shadow in Special Delivery
ColourPop’s green eyeshadow is designed to prevent fallout with a crème-powder consistency that has a famously bouncy texture that is totally smooth on application. The color is rich, which is exactly what you want from a green eyeshadow. Creasing doesn’t happen with these shadows, and the color, nearly magically, doesn’t fade. You can order yours only from Ulta Beauty.
16. Tom Ford Shadow Extrême in TFX11
Tom Ford’s emerald green eyeshadow comes in a clutch-sized sleek case and is designed to be blended with whatever else you like. The metallic foil finish really amplifies the rich green color, and the shadow comes in a mirrored compact for easy application on the go. The long-wearing polymers are perfect and a part of the reason why this is one of the Allure Best of Beauty Award winners. Get one for yourself from Sephora!
17. Face Stockholm Cream Eye Shadow in Nylon
The sleek formula of this green eyeshadow includes vitamin E and is designed to hydrate and improve the health of skin while you’re wearing it. It is a radiant shade that will stand out beautifully especially on darker skin tones. This cream eyeshadow is available in other colors, but stunning in Nylon. Order yours from Dermstore!
18. Givenchy Ombre Couture Cream Eyeshadow in Kaki Brocart
Givenchy’s green eyeshadow is a creamy, waterproof, long-lasting option that lasts 16 hours. It doesn’t crease, it doesn’t fade and it doesn’t flake, which is perfect. Kaki Brocart is essentially khaki green and super smooth with a shimmery finish. Order yours from Sephora!
19. Buxom Customizable Eyeshadow Bar Single Refills in Room Service
Designed to be placed in a single compact or a refillable palette, Room Service is a soft, plush green eyeshadow that is perfect for adding to your collection. Buxom’s colors were created with the concept of building your own palettes in mind. The pigments are strong and smooth and perfectly designed to be mixed or blended with other colors. Order yours from Ulta Beauty!
20. Dose of Colors Block Party Single Eyeshadow in Olive You
Olive You is an olive green eyeshadow color with light gold flecks throughout that is designed to reflect light from every angle. The formula is soft and creamy and can be applied any number of ways but works especially well when applied with your fingers. You can order your single eyeshadow in Olive You from Ulta Beauty.
21. NYX Professional Makeup Prismatic Eyeshadow in Mermaid
NYX Cosmetics is known for producing excellent eyeshadows, and Mermaid is a breathtaking deeply pigmented metallic green eyeshadow shade. The color is just as vibrant and bright as the prismatic name implies. Even without considering the price, this soft, bright green is a stunning option to include in your personal shadow collection. Order yours from Ulta Beauty!
Choosing the best green eyeshadow color for you should start by first picking a color complementary to your skin tone. The main thing to remember is that you want the shade of green you pick to enhance and complement your skin tone and undertones. All of your makeup should complement your natural skin tone and features.
In general, those with cool undertones should go for cooler green colors, like teal green or grassy green, while those with warm undertones look best with warmer green eyeshadow colors. Also, if you want to take your hair color into account, keep in mind that brunettes look best with cool and deep green shades, while blondes are recommended to experiment with warm and light shades.
• Green Eyeshadow Colors for Fair Skin
Fairer and paler skin tones can be accidentally washed out by the lighter shades of green but interestingly darker green shades appear almost black. You can use a darker green in place of darker shadows for a smoky eye look in a pinch that is beautifully multidimensional.
To amp up the intensity, dab a touch of golden green or lighter green eyeshadow on the inner corner and brow bone for highlight. Don’t fear the lighter greens, just make certain to choose a mint green for your arsenal.
• Green Eyeshadow Colors for Medium, Olive and Yellow-Toned Skin
Skin with yellow undertones really looks great with golden greens. You can play around with darker shades to amp up the vibrancy of the lighter golden green.
A good thing to keep in mind is that khaki shades of green eyeshadow are generally a no-go for olive skin tones. Choose lighter, warmer or darker shades of green eyeshadow to complement olive skin.
• Green Eyeshadow Colors for Darker Skin Tones
Because darker skin tends to absorb color, it is important to use a light-colored eyeshadow primer to keep the color of the shadow true. Darker skin with red undertones responds beautifully with pearly greens with hints of yellow in them.
If you are the adventurous type, test out a lime green, it will look great. Slightly less adventurous? Go for blue-based greens instead.
Green eyeshadow can be used to amplify the beauty of your eye color, no matter what your natural eye color is! Though it is better to choose your shade based on your skin tone, once you find a few options, the next best thing to do is consider your eye color. Honestly, you should always consider your eye color in your eyeshadow choice.
• Green Eyeshadow Colors for Brown and Hazel Eyes
If you have brown eyes, you can use nearly any shade of green eyeshadow that works for your skin tone. Brown eyes are incredibly versatile, and taboo shades like sea green have the perfect mix of blue and green for a fun and interesting look that really livens up your eyes.
If your brown eyes are more hazel, choose a green that has tones of yellow mixed into it. You can even go rich with the shades of sparkling green and blue often found in peacock feathers.
• Green Eyeshadow Colors for Green Eyes
Funnily enough if you want to wear green eyeshadow with green eyes, you should pair it with a contrasting shade of green. For light green eyes, go with the darker shades with hint of shimmer. For green eyes of a darker hue, try a rich but light shade of green like jade.
As long as you don’t pick a color that is the same shade or hue as your actual eye color you have nothing to worry about. You can pull it off!
• Green Eyeshadow Colors for Blue Eyes
Blue eyes benefit the most from dark, richer green eyeshadow colors. They highlight and brighten deep blue and accentuate any hint of indigo.
A mossy-colored green or hunter green eyeshadow would work well for this eye color depending on if your blue is darker (hunter green) or lighter (brighter mossy green). For good contrast, make sure to pick the warmer-toned greens.
There are plenty of tips for wearing green eyeshadow without looking like a mess through the trial and error of those gifted MUAs who came before us. Out of respect for the relentless efforts to make certain we all look good in our green eye makeup, here are a few tips that will keep you sane through application and looking good post application.
Lean on the knowledge offered by others who have tried and succeeded at choosing the right colors and remember above all, when using green eye makeup, less is more so build your color.
• Green eyeshadow of any shade has a wow factor; you have to lean into this factor to pull off any green eyeshadow look. Don’t think you have to build your look around the shadow – it will show through on its own whether it is a matte hunter green or a bright, glittering green and gold combination.
You can tone everything else down, and you will not look underdone. The best way to ensure you don’t go overboard? Do your eyeshadow first.
• Want a diffused look across your lids? Apply your green eyeshadow with a wet brush and blend it out as it dries for a capital S look: smooth, soft and sultry.
• Green eyeshadow done in the wrong shade can make under-eye circles look like bruises. The color can exacerbate any imperfections as well, so it is important to choose complementary shades.
• BUILD YOUR COLOR! I cannot emphasize this enough – green is a very eye-catching color that comes in so many different beautiful shades that it can be easy to be mesmerized, but use a steady, conservative hand during application. It is better to build your color up to the intensity that you want.
• Wear your green eye makeup with nudes and natural shades to complement it. Consider earth tones like rich chocolate to create a warm color that is easy to blend for a complementary look that is eye-catching but not garish or overbearing.
• You only need a hint of green to enhance your natural eye color, and each shade will enhance a different shade of flecks or feature in your eye color.
• Keep your overall look harmonious! Your eye-popping green eye makeup will look nice with toned-down lip makeup, mostly featuring warm shades like neutral and bright brown shades. Do make sure to stay away from pink or red lipstick when wearing green eyeshadow!
• To avoid a sallow look, don’t use pale green eyeshadow colors on the lower lid and in general try to keep it very subtle in the lower lid.
Two Ways to Create an All-over Green Eye Makeup Look
• Choose three shades of green eyeshadow – a light green for highlight, a medium green and a darker green.
• Prime your eyelids with your favorite primer prior to applying your eyeshadow. The primer will give your color staying power while also amplifying the color just the right amount. If you don’t have a “dedicated” eyeshadow primer, you can use a nude-colored cream shadow or your concealer to create nearly the same effect.
• Cover the top third of your eye area up to your brow bone with the lightest shade of green you want for your look (make certain to build your shadow, as this looks better than applying it too heavy from the beginning).
• Layer on the darker/ darkest green shade you’ve chosen in the crease of your eyelid to better define the shape and color of your eyes.
• Use a clean brush to blend the area from your crease to your brow bone for a seamless look but remember to be patient as you do.
• Use the mid-toned green eyeshadow and apply it smoothly from your lashes up until you have added the shadow all over your eyelid.
• Use another clean brush to blend your shadow again.
• Apply your eyeliner for a crisp line. Depending on whether you want a brighter or more dramatic effect will help you choose how to line your waterline. Use a nude pencil for brighter-looking eyes and a black pencil for a duskier, dramatic look.
• Add a few coats of mascara or falsies as you see fit.
• Apply your favorite eyeshadow primer to your eyelids to allow for a smooth, even application that lasts all day (get used to this no matter what color you’re planning to use).
• Use a soft, light shade of green eyeshadow all over your lid and up to your brow bone. When you apply this shade make certain to blend your shadow until it’s smooth and even. Make certain to dab a bit of this in the inner corner of your eye.
• Blend your second shade, the medium green up and into your eyebrow crease. Here is the place to add the most complementary of the green shades. If you want to add a touch of shadow to your lower lid, now is the time to do so.
• Define your eyes with the eyeliner of your choice in a clean, sharp line that accentuates the shape of your eyes.
• Add your third layer of green lightly and softly defined right above the liner. Now you can blend your shades of green for maximum wow factor.
• Add an additional stroke of eyeliner to really define your eyes again, as the process of blending may have softened your initial line.
• Time to treat your lashes to a few coats of mascara to really open your eyes!
• Finish your overall green eye makeup look with a neutral lip, a well-defined brow and a bit of highlight, and you’re ready to go!
Photos via @beautsoup, @sonagasparian, @lolaliner, @thesaraengel, @marthamakeupartist