You want those eyelashes to grow. But how to grow eyelashes naturally? Male or female, long and thick lashes are coveted and often make one stand out from among a crowd. As such, it is quite natural to worry about thin lashes and scanty growth.
The eyes are what make or break a woman’s beauty. No matter what the rest of her face or body looks like, if the eyes can draw in a person, the lady in question is by far the loveliest being in the world.
As for the beauty of the eyes? There is a reason we line those lovely orbs with kohl and add shadows all around. There is a reason mascara exists. When the lashes are nice and long, thick and full, there are few who can resist their allure.
What affects the look of the lashes can include everything from genetics to age, medical conditions and even vitamin deficiency. Eye infections can also be the culprits, as well as rubbing too roughly or not removing eye makeup.
Growing Eyelashes with Vaseline?
Proper care is required for the best set of lashes you can find. Some home remedies as well as cosmetic products are also made to help your eyelashes grow thicker and longer. However, it is important to note that each ingredient has a different effect on each individual, bearing in mind the different factors involved.
Artificial ways to make your eyelashes grow or look better have often been attributed to mascara, false lashes, and eyelash extensions, but these are temporary and not very natural appearing.
Furthermore, Vaseline has often gotten a reputation for helping lengthen lashes, but that one has been proven a myth. Despite its vast abilities and skills throughout your day, Vaseline, or petroleum jelly in general, is simply a means of hydrating your lashes.
It could have the opposite effect and have you losing those precious lashes if you end up having an allergic reaction to the formula. However, it is recommended by many women, so it is hard to say if it is worth trying on or no.
Vaseline is meant to protect your lashes from drying out and from harmful agents. Do not expect too much out of it, but you can certainly use it if you wish to give it a try. Make sure you have no allergies, though. And always use clean fingers when applying on.
Since petroleum jelly is one of the more controversial methods of growing your eyelashes, we have done a bit of research and come up with others that might not be as such and which will make your eyelashes grow naturally.
Best Home Remedies to Make Eyelashes Grow
How do you grow your eyelashes naturally at home? Since we do not want to be using expensive products or artificial methods to grow our lash length in general, there have been many experiments done with natural ingredients in order to effectively achieve what we desire on the eyes. Most of the methods listed below will require around 2-4 months to see results.
Keep a Healthy Diet
Eating healthy is good for much more than making eyelashes grow, obviously, but it is a great way to ensure you are getting all the protein and vitamins necessary. Eating fish, eggs, beans and yogurt are great for promoting lash growth, as well as pecans, almonds, sardines, bananas and whole grains.
Fill up on antioxidants as well for a more wholesome diet that is amazing for just about any health related issue. Plus, you will be promoting hair growth on your head as well, something those of us with thinning strands can really use these days. Remember, greens and fruits are your best friends here.
Brush on the Olive Oil to Grow Eyelashes
We know to always have olive oil in the kitchen for cooking, but it is also an amazing oil used for beauty hacks. This also includes making eyelashes grow.
Since the oil is rich in vitamins, particularly E, it is the perfect solution for a natural treatment to those lovely lashes of yours. Between that and the oleic acid, nourishment and volume is given, while also keeping the strands nice and dark, fanning beautifully over the face.
Simply dip a clean mascara stick or even a cotton swab in warmed olive oil, apply carefully just like you would mascara before going to bed, leave it on overnight, and wash with lukewarm water in the morning. Repeating this on a daily basis will ensure you get the results you always wanted.
Cotton Swabs and Emu Oil
You can also use emu oil to condition those lashes and stimulate stronger, healthier eyelash growth. Like olive oil, simply brush or dab it on and leave overnight before washing off in the morning.
It promotes new hair growth over the upcoming month or two, which comes in stronger than the original you already had. If nothing else, you are keeping it moisturized and appearing nice and thick.
Simply Brush the Lashes
In order to make your eyelashes grow naturally, a simple brushing will also do. It helps get rid of the dirt and clears out clogged pores, encouraging circulation for the nutrients to better reach the hair follicles.
A few drops of vitamin E on the soft bristled eyelash brush will do, applying the oil on and brushing it for a while using gentle upward strokes from the root to the tips. Brushing for 5 minutes twice a day will help bring about the best results.
Give Your Lids a Massage
This is a strange way to get those lashes longer, but it seems to work for many, due to the improved blood flow to the hair follicles, thus preventing thinning or breakage of the much wanted hairs. You can put a few drops of oil, petroleum jelly or shea butter on your eyelids, before massaging along the lids and lash line in a small, circular motion using your fingertips for about 5 to 7 minutes.
Do this twice daily for a few months and you will notice a good amount of difference to the eyes. Just make sure your hands are thoroughly cleaned before the massage on the eyes.
Use Aloe Vera to Grow Eyelashes
We know, we know. This is as perfect for just about everything as Vaseline. Except, Vaseline generally will not grow the hair follicles, while Aloe Vera may. Aloe is simply wonderful according to many a woman or man in getting those long, thick lashes.
Since it contains so many vitamins and nutrients, it is easy for it to promote eyelash growth and strengthening of the strands. Plus, there is the added bonus of keeping your lashes and lids moisturized.
A clean mascara wand will be needed as you apply fresh aloe gel before going to bed. Leaving it overnight will be just perfect.
Grow Eyelashes with Aloe and Jojoba Recipe
Aloe on its own is great on the lashes, but has double the punch in helping eyelashes grow when jojoba oil is involved. Mix together 1 tablespoon each of aloe vera and jojoba oil. Add in 1 teaspoon of chamomile infusion.
Now apply this to your lashes twice a day, keep it on for 15 minutes, and rinse it off with warm water. Quite easy to do on your own, a quick lash mask for your morning and nighttime rituals, and looks amazing after several months.
Recipe Mix with Lemon Peels
You will need a tablespoon of moderately dried lemon peels, after which you pour in olive oil, soaking it up. Leave it thus in a container for several weeks before using a mascara stick (clean, of course) to apply the oil to the lashes before bed.
Once again you will wash with lukewarm water in the morning, and repeat this routine for a few months before you have the desired results. The vitamin B and C from the peels does wonders for the softening and lengthening of the strands.
Egg and Glycerin Mix for Lash Growth
Another way to grow eyelashes naturally involves a recipe of eggs and glycerin, where 1 egg and 1 tablespoon of glycerin are beaten together for a thick and creamy texture.
A cotton swab will come in handy here as you apply the mixture to the lashes, leave it on for 15 minutes, and rinse with cold water instead of the general warm or lukewarm. Doing this three times a week for a few months should help you immensely.
Use Real Green Tea to Grow Eyelashes
For longer, thicker lashes, a good brew of natural green tea full of flavonoids will come in very handy. It stimulates the growth of your lashes, but be careful not to get it in your eyes.
You will need to prepare an unsweetened green tea and let it cool before grabbing a cotton swab and delicately applying the tea from root to tip to the lashes. Have it sit on there for 15 minutes before washing with cool water once again. This should become a part of your routine twice daily for at least 2 months.
Turn to Baby Oil to Make Eyelashes Grow
It’s made to be gentle and to hydrate baby’s skin, making it ideal for your lashes as well. Many women swear by this method, which also doubles as an eye makeup remover.
Simply dip your cotton swab in baby oil and gently slide it on from root to tip, leaving it on overnight. You will wake up to better-looking lashes that are healthy, voluminous and long over time.
Castor Oil Works Wonders to Grow Eyelashes
This is not a favorite of ours to be sure because castor oil has problems unto itself, but when it comes to helping you make your eyelashes long and strong, it is a wonder formula. Thick lashes seem to be a good result to expect from the oil that stimulates the follicles and nourishes simultaneously.
Simply apply the castor oil to your lashes with a cotton swab or mascara brush before bed, with a few drops of vitamin E added to the oil. Wash with lukewarm water in the morning. This should be done daily for a few months.
You might also want to use castor oil on your brows and head as well to strengthen the follicles and promote growth. Just make sure you are using a natural and hexane-free brand of it.
Mix Castor Oil with Aloe Vera
Castor oil and aloe vera are both miracle workers and seem to go well in tandem when it comes to making eyelashes grow naturally. Mix together 2 tablespoons of each and apply in a similar fashion to all the rest of the oils, with cotton swab or mascara brush.
Do this daily for 2-3 months for best results. It will ensure volume and nourishment reach your lovely eyelashes.
Grow Eyelashes with Coconut and Lavender Oil Mix
Essential oils are very good for you, with lavender a top priority to have in the house. It can also help eyelashes grow longer by getting rid of free radicals. Studies have shown that a good number of those using lavender essential oil to fight hair loss in general are having positive results.
Since coconut oil is also soothing and enriching, antibacterial and antimicrobial, it makes sense to mix the two together. You will need half a teaspoon of coconut oil and 2-4 drops of lavender essential oils. Mix them together and use a cotton swab or clean fingers to apply to the eyelashes from root to tip, leave it overnight and wash off in the morning.
Make an Egg Whites Mixture
Since eggs are packed with proteins, they are a great source of lash growth potential. A single separated egg white with equal parts castor oil can be mixed to perfection in fortifying and strengthening the lashes.
You will need a lash brush and two drops of the mixture, applied to the upper eyelashes. It should be perfect for increasing the ability of your follicles in growing new strands.
Best Products to Grow Eyelashes
If you are in need of not-so natural products that cause no harm but instead help grow your lashes beautifully, there are quite a few options out there on the market and not all of them are expensive either. We have picked up a few names that might come in handy, as per the recommendations of beauty bloggers and women in general out there.
Whereas you might need a few months for the natural ways to work, your lashes will look healthier and longer in a few weeks’ time with lash accelerator serums and conditioners. You will want to go for something that includes vitamins, aloe, peptides and other nutrients.
If you are looking for a medicated drug to use on your abnormal lack of eyelashes, particularly caused by hypotrichosis, getting a bimatoprost prescription might be right for you. You will need to apply it on the upper lash line daily for two or more months.
However, there are side effects, which can include darkened eyelids, red eyes, pigmentation in the iris, hair growth around eyes, etc. It does, however, stimulate the growth of thick, long and dark lashes.
• Rimmel Lash Accelerator Mascara: From Ulta, you can grab yourself a simple eyelash lengthening mascara that darkens and nourishes the lashes.
• Organyc Eyelash and Eyebrow Growth Serum: Rated 4.5 stars on Amazon, this responsibly formulated bestseller is loved by thousands. It helps restore brows and grow lashes long and thick. Definitely worth investing in!
• Milana Eyelash Serum: With another 4.5-star rating on Amazon, this little known gem is great in growing your lashes and making it look nice and thick.
• Revitalash Cosmetics Volumizing Primer: Available from Amazon, this 5-star reviewed eyelash growth product is meant to amplify, prime and help with the growth of the lashes. You can also grab the revitalizing mascara, and perhaps even a defining liner.
• Live Fraiche Organic Growth Treatment: This is a treat, for it is castor oil that is taken and cold pressed, put into a double sided tube, and used for effective eyelash growth and hair growth on the brows. This eyelash growth product is also available at Amazon.
• Hairgenics Lavish Lash: An amazing choice and bestseller with 4.5 stars on Amazon, this product is a great eyelash growth enhancer that many swear works wonders on the worst of lash appearances as well.
• Beautyness Eyelash and Eyebrow Advanced Growth Serum: Longer, thicker and healthier lashes are available for under $20, where the promise is to see the effects within 15 days, with 3x the volume. It is a special formula and rated 5 stars on Amazon.
• LashFood Phyto-Medic Eyelash Enhancer: A natural conditioner to help your eyelashes grow, this eyelash growth product has been recommended by beauty bloggers, and is available at Sephora.
• Lilash Purified Eyelash Serum: Another product to use on your short and thin lashes, Lilash contains silica, panthenol, colloidal silver, glycerin and lupinus albus seed extract, perfect for eyelash growth. It has been recommended by beauty bloggers, and is available at Overstock.
• Latisse: An eyelash growth booster in its original state, this one contains bimatoprost, known to improve the rate of lash growth. Also recommended by beauty bloggers.
• RapidLash Eyelash and Eyebrow Enhancing Serum: It is available at Beauty Expert, and must be used nightly to see results in about a month’s time. However, it does work wonders according to reviewers and worth looking into.
• L’Oreal Paris Double Extend Concentrated Lash Boosting Serum: This is a rather lovely product that reviewers positively love stating works wonders. It is also a mere $15 at Amazon, so hard to go wrong with it. You will need to use it regularly, but users have commented on longer lashes and less breakage overall.
• Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Eye Cream and Lash Serum Duo: This eyelash growth product lengthens and strengthens eyelashes according to users of the product, and once people begin using it, it is hard to stop, apparently. Available at Overstock, you can try it for yourself.
• Estee Lauder Lash Primer Plus: Available at Nordstrom, this is very highly rated and makes your lashes longer and fuller, while it dries quickly and doesn’t flake at all. It also seems to be great for those with more sensitive skin.
• Make Up For Ever Lash Fibers: This lash primer is easy to dish out $21, and seem to really lengthen those lashes of yours, if the reviews are to be believed. It apparently does such a great job that it almost appears fake. You can pick it from Sephora.
There are many more really great eyelash growth products out there, but you will have to see which one suits you. If it has multiple high ratings, it might be worth a shot at though.
Makeup Tips and Hacks to Make Lashes Appear Longer and Thicker
Sometimes what causes our lashes to become brittle or to fall out is the way we apply our makeup or go about our days. We have put together a few tips and tricks for keeping your lashes looking healthy and beautifully long, even if you do not use anything else.
• Avoid using fake lashes. When you use eyelash extension and fake lashes in general, it is a quick fix with long-term dire effects. You will end up damaging your lovely strands instead with the glue and ripping them off. Only use them when absolutely necessary and avoid otherwise.
• Remove makeup at night. Lashes that are devoid of makeup will grow stronger and healthier since they can breathe easier. Removing makeup at night at least allows them to repair after a day of being slathered in mascara. If you can spend a few days a week without makeup on your lashes, that is even better!
• Avoid rubbing and pulling your lashes. You will rub your lashes when you are tired, when the lids are itchy, or simply subconsciously. You often end up pulling on your lashes when you try to clean off the makeup.
Be careful not to be too rough on them because they simply are not strong enough to withstand rough handling and will fall out. Plus, you are more likely to get premature wrinkles with all that pulling.
• Use baby powder coating to make eyelashes look longer. For fuller lashes, you can try swiping on a layer of mascara, adding a layer of baby powder, and adding at least one more layer once the whole of the lashes is covered. It will ensure a thicker look without the clumps. Just use a natural version.
• Use baby powder alternatives. For those who do not want to take the risk of baby powder, use corn starch or arrowroot or even dry milk powder instead on the lashes for the same results as with the product you are replacing.
• Use eyelash primer under mascara. Always go with this trick in the book, since you want to protect against possible damage as much as possible. Use a primer with pro-keratin, which also strengthens the lashes, as it protects against harsh ingredients in the mascara itself.
• Invest in hypoallergenic mascara. For sensitive eyes especially, a hypoallergenic mascara can help reduce irritation. Inflammation means you are losing your lashes.
• Do not use mascara so much. The less you use it, or the fewer coats you put on, the faster and stronger your lashes will grow.
• Avoid waterproof mascara. Weak eyelashes will suffer greatly due to the ingredients in these types of products, which are meant to stick well and fully onto those lashes of yours. The formulas are very potent and can cause more problems than do good.
• Do not tug with a lash curler. Instead of tugging, simply press the lash curler on. Even when you wash your lashes to clean it of mascara, be careful not to pull on the strands. Rubbing and scrubbing can have worse effects.
• Use lash-enhancing eyeliner. Yes, such a thing exists. While you can easily use lash-enhancing mascara as well, you might want to also opt for the eyeliner that is liquid and with the peptides needed to strengthen the follicles where you swipe it on.