So, you’ve got a gorgeous jade roller in your hands. What’s next? It’s time to use it, of course. Here’s how to use a jade roller to give yourself a good facial massage!
Step 1: Preparing Your Face Roller
Before you bring your face roller up against your skin, you might want to do a little bit of prep. Make sure it’s clean (we explain how to clean it properly here), and consider altering its temperature in some way.
You can keep it in the fridge at all times, which guarantees it’ll always be cold and extra-soothing on your skin. If you’ve forgotten and left it on your bathroom counter, you can soak it in a little bath of water and ice, and it’ll cool down right away.
If it’s winter, and you’re not in the mood for the cold, or you’d like to slightly dilate your pores before using a purifying mask, you can also gently warm up the facial roller instead. This works especially well with obsidian face rollers!
Soak the face roller for a few minutes in hot (but not boiling) water. Before putting it against your skin, however, check the temperature by rolling it over your arm. It should be pleasantly warm – not painfully hot.
Step 2: Preparing Your Skin
Next, get your face and neck ready for the face roller treatment! You may want to wash your skin with your favorite facial cleanser first, although if it’s morning, you can just splash it with a bit of water.
Next, apply your favorite toners, essences, or serums, and finally, add a few drops of a heavier moisturizer, a face balm, or facial oil. Use a little more than you normally would to make your skin a little sleek and allow the roller to better glide over your face.
Step 3: Facial Roller Massage
With your skin and roller both ready, you can start the facial roller massage. Keep in mind that as you press the face roller against your skin, you should control the pressure carefully so that it feels pleasant but not painful.
- Always go in an upward and outward motion, and never roll downwards. You can stroke over each area as many times as you like, but usually, you’ll want to repeat each stroke 3-5 times.
- Starting at the neck, roll the jade roller over your skin in upward motions, starting at the collar bone and going in a straight line up to the jawline. Run the roller over the entire neck in these upward strokes.
- Next, from the center of the chin, roll the face roller along your jawline. You can repeat this a few times if you have some tension in your jaw.
- Next, bring the roller slightly higher to roll from the chin over the cheeks.
- Finally, run the jade roller over your forehead, starting between the brows and then rolling up. Repeat these same upward strokes from the brows to the hairline until you’ve rolled over the entire forehead.
- Then, flip your jade roller over to the small side, so you can roll along the sides of the nose as well as over the bridge of your nose.
- Finally, to roll around the eyes, follow the circle of your orbital bone, and gently run the roller from below the inner corner of the eye to the outer corner. Then, roll from the outside in to treat the area above the eyes.
How Often Should You Use a Facial Roller?
Because they’re so smooth and gentle, facial rollers can actually be used every day, and even twice a day! It’s not mandatory to use them daily, of course. Your skin will still benefit from the massage even if you only do it a few times a week or just in the lead up to special events.
Photos via @skingymco, @herbivorebotanicals, Instagram