Hairsprays should be more than a simple styling product that comes in a can. There are a ton of benefits you can get just from using it, which is why we bring you a whole article on everything you need to know about hairspray. Get ready to learn the hows, whats, and whys of hairspray all at one glance when you scroll along, as well as how to use hairspray!
In this article:
Benefits of Using Hairspray
Apart from all the apparent advantage in all the sections we have written for you, here are some benefits of using hairspray:
- It isn’t easy to mess up a hairstyle finished off with hairspray.
- Your hair will become super shiny.
- There is something for every hair type.
- It allows your blow-out to last for much longer.
- It helps you to tame frizz.
- You can use hairspray to get a flexible hair texture.
Is Hairsray Safe for Your Hair?
Every good thing in our world today has an adverse effect. They are either good for us and bad for the environment or not safe for continuous use. Hairspray is also part of this category. While it is perfect for an immediate boost in hair volume, great for firm hold and makes your hair all shiny, it contains several chemicals, some of which are quite dangerous.
When hairspray became a thing in the ‘70s, some chemicals like vinyl chloride, which served as a propellant, were used. However, they were banned by National Institutes of Health due to the carcinogenic properties that carry.
The chemical that was used to replace it was methylene chloride, but after some research about the effect on humans, that was also banned. Now polymers are the base ingredients of hairspray, and some of the dangers they have for humans includes;
- Hairspray contains gases that are dangerous if inhaled, so it should be used in well-ventilated places so that gases don’t get into the body. A long period of inhalation can lead to thesaurosis (foreign substances in the lungs) and other related ailments.
- The chemicals in hairspray can react negatively with the skin and cause redness, rashes or itching.
- Some people are allergic to the ingredients in hairspray, which may have their allergies triggered when you spray it near them.
- The gases in hairspray are flammable and can cause an explosion if you put it near a fire.
- Hairspray should not be sprayed near the nose, eyes or mouth. Any such exposure should be washed off immediately. And severe cases should be reported to the physician immediately.
How to Use Hairspray Effectively
Using your hairspray the right way will make you achieve the correct result. But since you can use hairspray for different hairstyles, we have listed all the steps here to make sure that you get exactly what you want.
- Choose the Right Hairspray
If you check our article about the different types of hairspray and the best ones on the market, you will be able to pick the best hairspray for you. It is critical because choosing a shine hairspray for your limp hair might not add enough volume to your stands.
- Spraying Your Hair
After getting the right type of hairspray, the next step is to make sure that the nozzle of the spray is not clogged. Then hold the spray some 12 inches away from your strands and spray it while moving it around your hair. Lastly, run your hands through your hair as you spray to make sure that it gets to every part of your hair.
Well, that seems quite simple, but that works if you want a simple style while hurrying out of your apartment. However, if you want to define your style, here are some additional tips to follow.
- For Adding Volume
If you need your hair to have more volume with thickened strands, use a flexible hold hairspray on your hair roots and then blow-dry. It will leave you with a fantastic volume while avoiding sticky build-up.
- To Prep for Styling
You can use hairspray to prepare your hair for styling. Take a can of hairspray and mist your hair from afar with it. Then allow your hair to dry completely before wrapping it around a curling iron – this will let your curls look more voluminous and last longer.
- Tame Frizz with Hairspray
Are you battling frizz every day? Your hairspray can help you tame frizzy hair. Apply the spray directly to your hands and then lightly pat any flyaway that needs to be managed. It is especially good for small areas.
- For Small Areas, Use a Toothbrush
For the edges of your strands, or just at the edge of your hairline, you can use a toothbrush to achieve the desired result. Spray the toothbrush and gently apply to the required area. This will help you avoid the mistake of spraying too close to your scalp.
- Take Care When Spraying Curly Hair
Using the hairspray on your curly hair might make the curls stick together and lose their bounce. However, you can pat each section with a little amount of hairspray and use your hand to scrunch them. This will enhance your texture and keep your definition perfect.
Hairspray Tips & Tricks
With so many benefits, hairspray is not just another styling product on the store counter begging for attention. It has the right features to make it have a spot on your dresser. We have added some really excellent hairspray tips and tricks that will leave you craving for a bottle of hairspray.
- When using hairspray, it is vital to keep it at least ten inches away from your hair. This is because it will make your hair look super shiny and greasy if it accumulates on your scalp. Also, avoid the temptation of spraying it directly on your scalp, it will still work even if the nozzle does not touch your strands.
- Avoid using a brush while spraying. Hairspray locks your hair in place essentially, so while using the formula, you can cause hair breakage by using a brush. You should also wash your hair first at the end of the day and allow it to dry completely before brushing it.
- Don’t use too much hairspray on your hair. Because of the gaseous form of hairspray, you might be deceived into thinking that you can use as much as possible. However, it contains hidden weight that would make your hair go limp if you use too much. The rule of thumb is to spray around your hair while counting three. There are weightless formulas, so just make sure you do your research.
- Use hairspray to lock up your curls. While you are still wearing those hair rollers, you can use a bit of hairspray to keep it in shape. Do it just before you remove them for longer-lasting curls.
- Use more for more volume and hold. Although there are instructions on the can of hairspray that will tell you the required time to get to the amount of hold that you need, it’s really a matter of preference, so spray it until you can feel your hair harden. When it gets to the required hold you feel is strong enough, you can stop. Also, a simple style needs less spray while complicated ‘dos require more hairspray.
- If you need more volume for your hair, flip your hair upside down and shake it. Then flip it back to normal, hold each strand and spray a little on each. You don’t need to do it for every strand – just make sure you are strategic about the position you choose. This would give your hair more body.
- Hairspray can help you prevent oily hair. Take a hairspray and use it on your freshly washed hair. It will help your hair stay oil-free for some days after washing it.
- It is not advisable to allow hairspray to touch your naked skin like your scalp and forehead. So you can get a visor with handles that will help you protect your forehead while spraying. It will also protect your eyes and nose from getting misted with the product. It is especially very good for those who use it regularly.
- You can get messy, wavy styles when you get out of bed. To get this, take a bottle of hairspray and spray it all over your hair before going to bed. You will have that beachy hair look by the time you wake up.
Other Hairspray Uses You Never Knew
To top off all the hairspray tips, here are some interesting hairspray uses that you didn’t know before:
- Use your hairspray for cleaning sticky stains. If you need to get out stains that seem not to be coming out with ordinary detergent, you can use your hairspray. Apply it directly to the stain, leave it for a few minutes, and then wash it at high temperature (as high as the garment allows). Hairspray is excellent for removing wine stains, ink, and some other stubborn stains.
- Hairspray removes nail varnish. You don’t want to have chipped polish all over your nails, so if you have run out of nail polish remover, you can use your hairspray. Spritz some on the area and wipe with a cotton pad.
- To preserve your flowers, grab your flowers and hang them upside down, then spray the underside of the flowers and leave them to dry. Return them to the vase when you are done.
- Spray your tights with hairspray when they start feeling static-y.
- After polishing your shoes, use hairspray to keep the polish on the shoe for a longer period.
- Put some hairspray on a wet cloth and use it to wipe your furniture for getting rid of pet fur.
- For new looking curtains, spray them with your hairspray. Allow each coat to dry before spraying the next.
- If you have a sticky label that needs to go, you can use hairspray to remove the sticky residue when you peel it off.
Photos via @zoesugg, Instagram