Hairspray is that magic bottle of product that can instantly fix and sculpt your hair, but which one to go for? There are different types of hairspray, each meant for different hair types and needs. In this article, we have rounded up the best hairsprays on the market, as well as explain what each type does so that you can make a wise choice.
In this article:
Our Picks for the Best Hairsprays
On that row in the beauty store or on the catalogs of many online stores, there are several hairsprays begging for the click of your finger. Well, we thought of that and selected 19 best hairsprays that will do wonders to your hair, no matter which one you choose.
1. Living Proof Flex Shaping Hairspray
For the first best hairspray on our list, we have something quite interesting from Living Proof. This hairspray works for all types of hair, providing it with a brushable and touchable feeling. It contains a blend of flexible but firm polymers that work on damp or dry hair to protect it from heat and ensure the longevity of style. You can use it at any stage of your styling process and still get remarkable results. Pick up one for yourself at Sephora!
2. Aveda Air Control Hair Spray
Aveda makes a wonderful hairspray that is full of perks for the hair. It is derived from pine resin technology, which is designed for lightweight, reworkable hold to add volume to your hair right from the roots. Harmful ingredients like parabens, sulfates, and phthalates are absent from the mix. And if you are in love with nature, this hairspray was specially built to have zero impact on the earth climate. You can get yours at Nordstrom.
3. Moroccanoil Luminous Hairspray Strong Finish
One thing that you will absolutely love about this hairspray is the fact that it works for all hair types. Infused with argan oil, it provides your hair with lasting hold and fights off frizz. Be it braids, soft, or natural styles, the great formula is perfect for creating a weightless feel without leaving flaky residues. Get yours from Sephora!
4. Hair by Sam McKnight Modern Hairspray
If you need to fight frizz and add volume to your hair, this is the best hairspray for you. Termed ‘the perfect multi-tasker,’ this product has so many perks for your hair. You can spray it directly on the roots of your hair to set straight or curly locks. There are also fragrance notes to help you maintain that fresh smell all around you as you are walking by. This modern hairspray is available through Net-a-Porter.
5. Tigi Bed Head Masterpiece Shine Hairspray
If you need a hairspray that can add a firm hold and more volume to your mane, this is what you need. This hairspray comes with great ingredients that are good for any hair length or texture. You can use it to avoid frizziness and get massive shine. You can order a bottle for yourself at Ulta Beauty.
6. Amika Fluxus Touchable Hairspray
We added one of the most exciting products that you will find among the hairspray category to our list. It comes with sea buckthorn berry and over 190 biologically active compounds all to make sure that your hair gets that flexible hold with a shiny finish. The product is safe for chemically treated hair and promotes the production of collagen to build healthy hair. Get your colorful can of the best hairspray at Sephora!
7. Oribe Superfine Hairspray
This is one specially designed hairspray that you want to lay your hands on. The product comes with a new technology aimed at giving you flexible, brushable and soft hair. Also, it has an exclusively ultra-dry finish to allow your hold to remain firm without being weighty. You can also use it on all types of hair, no matter the color or treatment. Grab a bottle at Nordstrom now!
8. Bumble and Bumble Spray de Mode Flexible Hold Hairspray
Hairsprays are products that give your hair a naturally firm hold, and the best of them do just that without damaging your strands. This is another amazing hairspray from Bumble and Bumble and it has the right ingredients to add all the perks you need. For a flexible hold and touchable finish, this hairspray has copolymers and vitamins to increase workability. It can be found online at Sephora.
9. Sebastian Shaper Plus Extra Hold
If you are disturbed by frizz each time the humidity goes up, Sebastian has a solution right in this bottle. The hairspray gives you 24-hour control without being sticky or stiff. The immediate action that is delivered to your style makes you look stunning. There are no harmful ingredients, so you don’t have to worry about hair damage. This hairspray is available for purchase online at Ulta Beauty.
10. Drybar Money Maker Flexible Hold Hairspray
When choosing a hair care product, you have to pick the type that suits your hair, as you don’t want something that will wreak havoc. But you don’t have to care about your hair type when you choose this hairspray, since it works for any hair texture and length. It comes infused with pliable polymers and prune oil to help you create a flexible hold and enough shine to make your style stand out. It also has subtle notes of jasmine, sandalwood, and Madagascar vanilla to make your hair smell as lovely as you can dream of. Pick up a bottle for yourself at Sephora!
11. R+Co Vicious Strong Hold Flexible Hairspray
With components like pro-vitamin B5, R+Co’s hairspray creates a strong but flexible hold for your hair. It gives your hair a really lovely scent with all the fragrance notes infused in the bottle. You also get to keep frizz at bay and keep your style nice for much longer. Get yours at Net-a-Porter!
12. Verb Ghost Hairspray
Parabens, sulphates, and silicones are not safe for your hair, and you should stay away from them. And since this hairspray doesn’t contain any of these harmful combinations, we really recommend it for you. The product has all you want in one bottle – your hair gets protection, firm hold and hydration. It has an invisible, yet powerful formula to keep your hairstyles intact throughout the day. Grab yourself a bottle at Sephora!
13. Kenra Professional Volume Spray 25
Here is an excellent formula that has all it takes to leave your hair looking all shiny, with the necessary strength and volume required. This hairspray comes with great ingredients to give your mane a lasting hold of up to 120 hours, and a full day of frizz resistance. The product also works without leaving any flakes or causing damage. It can be picked up online at Ulta Beauty.
14. IGK Down & Out Dirty Spray
Hairsprays can be really amazing with how fast they help you create the hold required to style your hair. That is why you want this texturizing hairspray in your hair care collection. It contains coconut oil for hair, sunflower extract and other ingredients to condition your hair while sealing in moisture. Your hair also gets to be strengthened, with a boost in your hair shine. If you are wearing braids or ponytails, then you can also use it to add more control and grip, while prepping your hair. This hairspray is available at Sephora.
15. Sachajuan Strong & Flexible Hairspray
Frizz can be very awful, especially with how difficult it is to get rid of it. But you don’t need to go through all that stress when you can get this bottle of hairspray. It comes loaded with amazing ingredients to make your hair lightweight and leave your hair feeling soft and touchable. This hairspray sells through Net-a-Porter.
16. Alterna Haircare Bamboo Smooth Anti-Humidity Hair Spray
An ultra-dry, humidity-resistant and weightless mane is what you get from one bottle of Alterna’s hairspray. The product never gets sticky or stiff when on your hair, but works to extend the life of blow-outs and to lock out frizz. With components like pyre organic bamboo extract, organic kendi oil, and no harmful ingredients, you can trust that your hair will look as great as you want it to look using this hairspray. Get it now at Sephora!
17. Sexy Hair Spray & Stay Intense Hold Hairspray
This product creates one of the strongest holds your hair can get. It is perfect for keeping any elegant style in place with long-lasting strength. It comes with a new production technology and leaves your ever-sexy hairstyle with more sheen and shine. Find it online at Ulta Beauty!
18. DevaCurl Flexible Hold Hairspray Touchable Finishing Styler
From one of the best brands in the beauty business, this is one hairspray that will redefine your style. The lavender-scented hairspray gives your hair the needed strength with wheat proteins and leaves you with a lasting hold. One of the best features of the product is the bouncy and beautiful finish you get after using it. Grab your bottle at Sephora!
19. Nick Chavez Plump ‘N Thick Thickening Hairspray
For a firm hold and fuller-looking style, you want to have a bottle of this hairspray. Formulated with collagen, the product has all that it takes to boost hair volume and give you a glamorous shine. It is also very healthy and doesn’t have any harmful ingredients that might hurt you. This hairspray sells through Dermstore.
What to Look for in the Best Hairspray for You?
Hairspray is a gaseous styling solution made of polymers coming in an aerosol can that is sprayed into the hair to give it more volume, more hold, and better flexibility. Just like a lot of other hair products, there are different types of hairspray on the market, which is why we have this section for you. Make sure you are using the right hairspray for your hair type browsing through all the options presented below.
- Regular Hairspray: You can pretty much use this type of hairspray for any hair type. It will help you enhance your locks, with that great shine and hold throughout the day. It is usually used to complement any hairstyle you have chosen to wear.
- Shine Hairspray: If you have noticed that hairspray leaves your hair looking dull and uninviting, then you have been using the wrong type. Switch to shine hairspray and get that boost in your hair luster with much radiance to boot.
- Weightless Hairspray: This type of hairspray will help you boost your hair without making it weigh down on your head. It is great for those with super fine hair who want more volume.
- Volumizing Hairspray: This hairspray works just like the name suggests. It helps to boost the volume of your hair, making it look fuller and thicker. You can apply it at the roots of your hair for the best result. Volumizing hairsprays are great for those who have fine hair or thin hair to help thicken and strengthen hair strands.
- Frizz-Control Hairspray: For those who regularly wake up with a ’bedhead’ look or frequently get that mass of tangled hair, you certainly want to get frizz-control spray. It is enhanced with components that lock hair cuticles, keeping in moisture and locking out humidity. Curly locks or parched hairstyles will find great benefits in this hairspray.
- Thermal Hairspray: If you use heat styling tools a lot, they may cause your hair to lose its natural moisture. That is why you need to get a thermal hairspray, which you can use as a protective barrier to your hair. And since it contains less alcohol, it is definitely healthy for your strands.
- Texturizing Hairspray: This type of hairspray is an upgrade on dry shampoo. It adds more volume and a firm hold, without soaking up your hair oil. Texturizing hairsprays don’t leave any residues, being great for those with fine or thin hair.
- Holding-Power Spray: You don’t want to have your mohawk fall apart, or your braids have tangles all over. So, why not use a hairspray of the exact holding power you need to avoid this? From light-hold and medium-hold to strong-hold options, this type of hairspray comes with different levels of holding power to give you exactly the style you are looking for. You can choose to use a flexible hold spray for better movement and flexibility in your style, and you can select a strong-hold one for firmer styles.
- Finishing Hairspray: Like the finishing powder in makeup, finishing hairspray is what you use last, at the end of styling your hair to keep the style in place. It normally has a heavy hold power for a long-lasting look. Finishing hairspray can be of different types as well, coming to either add shine to your hair or make it look matte.
- Working Hairspray: This is the most flexible hairspray with the least amount of hold that you can use on your hair while you are still working on your hairstyle with your fingers or a hair brush.
- Shaping Hairspray: Much like the working hairspray, the shaping one is also flexible, giving you the freedom to brush your hair after you have applied it. The only difference between the two is that while you can use working spray while you are still styling your hair, you normally apply the shaping spray after your hairstyle is ready.
- Freeze Spray: The freeze spray is the kind of super-strong-hold hairspray that will make your hairstyle freeze, and you’ll hardly ever have a hair out of place using it.
Photos via @natalieannehair, Sephora, Ulta, Nordstrom