Dry shampoos have consistently saved the day for a myriad of women. But just as some individuals are carefree about their diet and health, some others have been oblivious to what kind of dry shampoo they should consistently baptize their hair with. Keep reading to find the best dry shampoos that have been proven and tested to do the magic your hair craves.
In this article:
Our Picks for the Best Dry Shampoos
Whether it’s your first time trying a dry shampoo or you are on the hunt for the best dry shampoo for a shinier look, any of these 17 options is sure to soon become your treasured favorite!
1. Living Proof Perfect Hair Day Dry Shampoo
You do not want ordinary dry shampoos that would suck at their job of leaving your hair clean. Therefore, this is the right choice. With this product, you have a Triple Action Cleaning technology that would transform your hair look, how it feels, and even the smell. What’s more, the powder is easy to remove after use. One of the best dry shampoos ever, this Living Proof piece retails at Sephora.
2. Drybar Detox Dry Shampoo
This is one of the best dry shampoos, formulated with a lush, new scent featuring violet, sandalwood, and musk. It executes its responsibilities with authority and satisfaction: extends blowout and combats thin, flat and oily hair. Its lightweight and easy-to-use powder blends with your hair color in a journey to clean and beautiful hair. Get it from Sephora!
3. Batiste Dry Shampoo
This is your one-stop solution when it comes to servicing your hair quickly and conveniently. Batiste’s dry shampoo is effective in treating dull and greasy-appearing hair and helps restore luminosity while providing volume and texture that aids styling. Thanks to its ingredients, it is the preferred choice for straight, wavy and very curly hair. You can pick it up from Ulta Beauty.
4. Amika Perk Up Dry Shampoo
Here is a rebel… rebel against what? Well, this dry shampoo rebels conformity and mundane-looking hair by delivering a new, cleaner look. With an exception of color-treated hair, it works for all hair types and lengths – and when used properly, it absorbs excess oil and brings freshness. And with natural rice starch as its primary ingredient, it would increase your hair volume in no time. Undoubtedly one of the best dry shampoos, this bottle is available at Sephora.
5. Not Your Mother’s Clean Freak Dry Shampoo
For maximum effect, you should spray Clean Freak dry shampoo on the roots of your hair – and thereafter, brush to evenly distribute the powder and diffuse it. This is quite effective in absorbing excess oil and also provides a light, shiny finish. Get it at Ulta Beauty!
6. Klorane Dry Shampoo with Oat Milk
The life of blowouts will increase if you use a spray-in dry shampoo like Klorane’s. It increases the hair exponentially and improves the hair color. With oat as a primary ingredient, you do not have to wet the hair to use it. This dry shampoo can be found online at Sephora.
7. Bumble and Bumble Pret-a-Powder
Let’s give this dry shampoo a proper name: a style extender and volumizer. It is made of hybrid silicone powder, which, like other hair products, absorbs excess oil. If you prefer powders to aerosol, this is an easy-to-use powder dry shampoo that will meet your requirement. Pick it up from Sephora!
8. Aveda Shampure Dry Shampoo
This non-aerosol powder dry shampoo is free of parabens, sulphates, and phthalates. It rejuvenates the hair after rigorous activities such as a workout. Plus, it provides the hair with a freshening effect while on a journey. Aveda’s dry shampoo is characterized by a soothing aroma that is made from pure natural flowers and plant essences. It’s available online at Nordstrom.
9. Eva NYC Freshen Up Dry Shampoo
This dry shampoo is designed to cleanse, add volume, and also refresh the hair. The lightweight formula is made of natural rice starch, which delivers a no-residue policy. Get your magic bottle from Ulta Beauty!
10. Moroccanoil Dry Shampoo Dark Tones
This Moroccanoil product is an ultra-fine dry shampoo that speaks for itself after use. It is an argan oil-infused formula that tackles the dull look in every hair type it is applied on. It is mostly recommended for dark-colored hair. Pick your bottle up from Sephora!
11. Verb Dry Shampoo
You know it is possible to damage the hair during styling. Talk of bad dry shampoos that are produced without the users in mind. With this product, you wash and style without fear. It is a non-whitening product formula that removes impurities and freshens your hair look. Get it at Sephora!
12. Psssst Instant Dry Shampoo Spray
This miracle-working dry shampoo is a delight when it comes to dry shampooing. It could transform dull and dirty-looking hair into one exhuming fine fragrance and boosting volume in no time. One of the best dry shampoos, this product can be picked up online at Ulta Beauty.
13. Briogeo Scalp Revival Charcoal + Biotin Dry Shampoo
After use, the first thing this dry shampoo does is to infuse binchotan charcoal into the hair to remove impurities. Therefore, your scalp – not the hair alone – remains clean. For an optimal healthy scalp, it helps in removing dead skin cells and product build-up from the scalp. Interestingly, other ingredients for nourished hair are included: coconut, spearmint, and peppermint oils. Get your bottle from Sephora now!
14. Blowpro Faux Dry Shampoo
Blowpro’s dry shampoo helps preserve blow-dry styled hair by massaging it into the scalp with your fingers. It lasts a style for an extra day and is completely sulphate-, paraben- and sodium chloride-free. You can find it online at Nordstrom.
15. Delectable The Everything Powder
Featuring a rare mixture of vitamin E, aloe vera and natural starches, this dry shampoo does what every other product does and is best applied by sprinkling a little on the hands and then applying on the root area. You’re going to swear by this product once you pick it up from Ulta Beauty to give it a try.
16. IGK First Class Charcoal Detox Dry Shampoo
You can avoid washing your hair. How? By using the IGK detox dry shampoo. For the oiliest of hair types, this is the cleansing agent to remove your worries in one use. All thanks to this charcoal powder. Get your bottle from Sephora!
17. Philosophy Amazing Grace Dry Shampoo
This is a fresh, floral family of the best dry shampoos. It is perfect for a style-extending power of the salon. It cleans the hair of impurities and after use, the hair and scalp are enriched with a wonderful, new smell and a stellar look. Amazing Grace indeed! Pick it up from Sephora!
What to Look for in the Best Dry Shampoo for You?
When purchasing dry shampoos, you should put a number of factors into consideration:
- First, try to pick a dry shampoo that suits your hair color, as the importance of this cannot be over-emphasized. Applying the wrong shade of color could affect your hair and look adversely.
- Next up, consider your hair type. Do not just apply any dry shampoo on your hair until you are certain it is not too harsh for your hair type.
- Those with fine hair should give their preference to lightweight powder-based dry shampoos that will add texture and extra lift to flat hair.
- Those with curly hair are advised to pick mousse dry shampoos instead of powder or spray options in order to perfectly freshen up the curls.
- Those with oily hair should be careful to pick oil-absorbing and texturizing dry shampoos to extend the life of their hairstyles.
- On the other hand, those with dry hair should go for moisturizing dry shampoos that will hydrate the hair and scalp while removing the dirt. It’s a good idea to use it along with a dry conditioner.
- Try to stick with reputable brands that have evidently improved others’ hair and let go of any that is not creating the desired effect. Purchasing dry shampoo based on recommendations from your stylist is also a good way to go because she understands your hair texture and type. Nonetheless, do not depend on opting for dry shampoo just because it sits well on a friend or colleague’s hair, since you could have a different hair type.
- Avoid dry shampoos that have any of these ingredients: parabens, butane, isobutene, fragrances (go for odourless dry shampoos if you are sensitive to fragrances), sulphates, phthalates, and petroleum-derived ingredients.
- If you have oily hair, you should go for spray dry shampoos.
- The price of the dry shampoo should come in handy when making a decision. Most times, cheap dry shampoos are made using a cheap baking powder that contains aluminium, which is toxic to the hair. Likewise, outrageously expensive products are not the solution. Most experts recommend using organic products because they have little to no side effect, are affordable, and are made of ingredients that are natural and non-toxic for your hair.
Photos via @ceeen, Sephora, Nordstrom, Ulta