Oily hair isn’t just an aesthetic issue. Oily hair can lead to dandruff, breakouts around your hairline and even hair loss. There are plenty of great shampoos for oily hair out there, thankfully, so you don’t have to suffer. We’ve put together a list of the best shampoos for oily hair and even a shopping guide to help you find the right product for you.
In this article:
Our Picks for the Best Shampoos for Oily Hair
Check out our recommendations of the best shampoos for oily hair below and pick the one that will work for you!
1. Verb Ghost Shampoo
This is a gentle shampoo for oily hair that uses moringa seed oil as a natural smoothing agent for frizz control and healthy shine. Sunflower seed extract is the ingredient included to provide natural UV protection in order to assist with keeping your color true and your hair healthy. Other great ingredients include quinoa protein and a touch of oatmeal and grapefruit as well. The light fresh fragrance is just another great feature of this shampoo for greasy hair that you can order from Sephora or Amazon.
2. Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Special Shampoo
Paul Mitchell’s shampoo for greasy hair pays attention to the incredible benefits of tea tree oil and how great it is for your hair and scalp. This special ingredient rids your hair of impurities and is formulated to leave your hair lustrous and clean. Aside from the inclusion of all-natural tea tree oil, peppermint and lavender are also included for their scalp-invigorating properties and the propensity to leave hair smelling great with the additional effects of being mood elevating and comforting in nature. Order or pick up a bottle from Ulta or Amazon and experience better hair and a healthier scalp!
3. AG Hair Moisture Peppermint Wash Invigorating Shampoo
AG Hair’s shampoo for oily hair has been enriched with the cooling and refreshing experience provided by menthol. The scent will enliven and invigorate your senses as you gently cleanse your hair and stimulate your scalp. The soft peppermint scent works with other herbal extracts, coconut-derived surfactants and additional proteins and amino acids. All together this shampoo for greasy hair is a great option to help fight oiliness for all hair types and textures and it is also color safe. Order one for yourself from Amazon!
4. Bumble and Bumble Sunday Shampoo
This shampoo is designed to meet the needs of those looking for one of the best options for a shampoo for oily hair. The clarifying nature of this cleansing shampoo helps clean up build-up, which can include the remnants of hard water, pollution, product build-up and excess sebum. The Sunday shampoo is revitalizing as well as cleansing. Clear up the remains of all of your product use and enjoy the clean and fresh hair that you want. Unfortunately, this is not a good option for color-treated hair. Grab one from Sephora or Amazon today!
5. Matrix Biolage Normalizing Cleanreset Shampoo
The Matrix shampoo for oily hair delivers on several promises with each wash. It will cleanse your hair without drying it out, it will work on all hair types including color-treated hair, all hair textures, types and lengths including natural hair. It is a paraben-free shampoo that is designed to purify hair and includes lemongrass among other ingredients that you are sure to appreciate for its effects and its light, refreshing scent. Order your own from Ulta or Amazon or pick one up in stores!
6. Rahua Voluminous Shampoo
This shampoo will clean your hair and scalp, removing excess oil with a combination of lemongrass, green tea, ungurahua oil and more. The intent is to promote volume and movement while mitigating sebum production. Volume is created by the lemongrass and green tea but the ungurahua oil is rich in omega-9, which will do wonders to fortify your hair follicles and promote healthy moisture. The soft scent of lavender and the soothing elements of eucalyptus offer up next-level softness and scent to your hair. Find yours at Dermstore or Amazon!
7. Christophe Robin Purifying Shampoo with Jujube Bark Extract
This color-safe shampoo for oily hair includes jujube bark and cherry blossom extracts. Why? Because these ingredients are known to soothe itchiness and irritation while providing a soft, sweeter scent and a clean fresh and soft feeling to hair and skin. With regular use you can reclaim a healthy scalp without drying it out. Excess sebum is removed, dandruff is eliminated and a healthy and comfortable scalp is what you are left with. Order a bottle for yourself from Sephora or Amazon!
8. Living Proof Perfect hair Day (PhD) Triple Detox Shampoo
Living Proof’s shampoo for oily hair will remove extra hair oil but won’t strip it down and make it dry. Thanks to the highly charged anionic polymer you can safely remove product build-up, dirt, pollution and oil from your hair while still being color safe. This shampoo will even remove the solids and metals that are found in hard water to keep your hair looking and feeling great. Order your bottle from Ulta or Amazon!
9. L’Oréal Paris Elvive Extraordinary Clay Rebalancing Shampoo
This shampoo for greasy hair combines 3 different clays that work by hydrating and protecting dry ends and simultaneously clarifying and refining oily roots. Your hair will look and feel fresh and clean from root to tip for up to 48 hours in optimal conditions allowing you to go longer without shampooing. This is an excellent example of a shampoo for oily hair. Order one for yourself from Amazon!
10. Drybar On The Rocks Clarifying Charcoal Shampoo
Drybar’s charcoal shampoo actually does contain a helpful amount of activated charcoal that will remove everything that is vexing your hair from impurities to product build-up. Even better – this shampoo for oily hair can clean your hair without stripping or drying it out. Activated charcoal is a known purifier and thankfully it also works on your scalp. Vegetable protein is included to strengthen your hair even if it has been chemically treated or damaged. Order one for yourself from Ulta or Amazon!
11. Amika Sexture Beach Look Shampoo
Amika’s two-in-one moisturizing texture shampoo will fight frizz while detoxifying your hair and ridding your scalp of excess oil to create the perfect balance for great hair health and shine. This shampoo for oily hair is great for all hair types: straight, wavy, curly, and coily regardless of thickness. The oiliness and frizz can be mitigated with the simple use of this very rich-feeling shampoo. Pick one up from Sephora or Amazon when you get a chance!
12. It’s a 10 Miracle Shampoo Plus Keratin
It’s a 10 has a miracle shampoo for oily hair that offers a clean feel and look with a formula that is free of sulfates, sodium chloride, and parabens. The formula is also enriched with an infusion of keratin protein that is designed to prevent breakage and restore health. This is one of the best shampoos for greasy hair that help preserve hair color, restore elasticity and provide sun damage protection. Humidity is locked out and thermal styling protection is included as well. Order yours from Ulta or Amazon and solve your oily hair woes!
13. Rene Furterer Astera Fresh Soothing Shampoo
Rene Furterer’s shampoo for oily hair sets out to purify and balance the health of your scalp. Peppermint oil is included to moisturize your hair while acting as a natural astringent to help control oil production. Eucalyptus oil helps to improve natural scalp circulation, and panthenol is included to repair damaged hair. Your hair is left shiny but not oily, stronger and cleaner with better elasticity and an overall healthier look. Get a bottle for yourself from Dermstore or Amazon!
14. Seed Phytonutrients Daily Hair Cleanser Shampoo
Natural ingredients are generally better for you and thanks to Seed Phytonutrients there is a shampoo for oily hair that is 93 percent natural and sulfate-free. This particular hair cleanser is designed to be gentle enough for frequent use and is great for straight and wavy hair types that are fine and medium in texture. It is color safe and uses turmeric, organic sunflower seed oil and organic camelina seed oil in a gel like consistency. Order one of the best shampoos for oily hair types from Sephora or Amazon!
15. Everyone Hair Sulfate-Free Shampoo, Balance
This shampoo is designed to tackle an oily or Itchy, flaky scalp with a perfectly cultured balance of ingredients. Dealing with chemicals, pollution, processed food and natural climate issues can throw your body out of whack – that includes your hair and scalp. Rebalance your hair and scalp health without creating more oil. The formula for this shampoo for greasy hair is designed using natural ingredients like tea tree oil, rosemary, clary sage and quinoa proteins. This way the oil is removed, and your hair is strengthened as it is gently cleansed. Order yours from Amazon!
16. Klorane Anti-Pollution Detox Shampoo with Aquatic Mint
Klorane’s non-stripping shampoo for oily hair removes environmental build-up while it protects, detoxifies and deeply cleanses your hair and scalp. Most people aren’t aware of the damage hair endures from pollution. This particular shampoo is great for color-treated hair of all textures and types. The liquid is lightweight and sulfate-free as well as plant-based. Get a bottle for your hair from Sephora or Amazon and remove 97% of pollutants from your hair!
17. Unwash Bio-Cleansing Conditioner
This cleansing conditioner has a unique formula that has been formulated to nourish and clean simultaneously. It will actually remove product build-up, dirt and oil by attracting it and still managing not to strip your hair of essential natural oils that keep your hair healthy.
By including nourishing oils and extracts this shampoo for oily hair leaves your hair softer, easier to manage and frizz-free while removing just enough oil to keep hair looking fresh and feeling clean. There are no drying ingredients, and it helps lock in color and natural oils so it can be used regularly. Get your own bottle from Ulta’s website or Amazone!
What to Look for in the Best Shampoo for Oily Hair?
- Try to avoid using alcohol-heavy ingredients. If alcohol is in the first three ingredients, look for another shampoo. The best shampoo for oily hair won’t have alcohol in the top three, as it is much too drying for hair.
- You should also avoid sulfates, shampoos and conditioners claiming to be moisturizing. Create a double shampoo method using a clarifying option on your scalp and a moisturizing option on the ends of your hair.
- Look for anything that mentions volumizing, clarifying, strengthening or balancing but omits words like moisturizing or deep conditioning. You want a cleanser, not a super-rich conditioner.
- Go for clear and translucent shampoos and avoid rich creamy formulas instead. Also try to stay away from silicone-based shampoos, which can make your hair look flat and greasy.
- It’s also important to pay attention to the pH level of the shampoo you choose, as the normal pH level of human hair is somewhere between 4,5 and 5,5, and you definitely want to avoid striping away the natural oils your scalp needs for healthy functioning. The best shampoo for oily hair will include a label that reads “pH balanced”.
- This is not to say that you shouldn’t use conditioner, rather utilize one that is designed to strengthen hair or a co-washing conditioner designed for clarification. When using a conditioner on oily hair, pair it with a good shampoo for greasy hair and when using your conditioner, make sure that you do not apply it on or near your scalp.
- Remember that conditioner is about maintaining health and hydration, some things that a lot of our ends desperately need. Sometimes it can seem too complex but it is all in the ingredients. You want a shampoo for oily hair that won’t disrupt the natural balance of your scalp so you don’t continue to overproduce sebum, but rather remove the oils that are necessary.
- The micellar water that you use for your face can also be helpful in your hair. Micellar molecules, known as micelles have two ends. One end of the molecule attracts oil, while the other is attracted to water. Options with these molecules don’t require scrubbing, which can cause even more issues if you aren’t careful.
- Other great ingredients to look for in your shampoo for oily hair include activated charcoal, proteins like quinoa and other similar options. Charcoal will also attract dirt, environmental pollutants and debris to it, drawing these things away from hair as you rinse it.
Photos via @hairbybritny, Sephora, Ulta