*The author generated this text in part with ChatGPT, OpenAI’s GPT-3 large language model. The content was reviewed, edited, fact-checked, and revised by our editorial team.
Simply lighting a candle in the morning to make you feel more awake or before bed to calm your body and mind can be an act of self-care. Candles made from all-natural ingredients can cultivate a certain ambiance, complement the decor in your room, or even bring you therapeutic benefits, like mood-boosting or stress-relieving properties.
This guide will tell you everything you need to know about all-natural candles, including what they’re made from, their benefits, how they can improve your life, and where you can buy one for yourself.
What are all-natural candles?
All-natural candles, like all-natural skincare products or deodorants, are made entirely from natural ingredients like soy wax, beeswax, coconut wax, or other plant-based waxes, along with natural fragrances and essential oils. Unlike traditional candles, which usually contain synthetic fragrances, dyes, and other additives, all-natural candles are free from harmful chemicals and artificial ingredients.
The meaning behind essential oil scents
Many all-natural candles rely on essential oils for their fragrance. Essential oils are highly concentrated plant extracts used in aromatherapy to enhance physical and emotional well-being. Each essential oil has its own unique scent and therapeutic properties. Here are some common scents and their meanings:
- Lavender. Calming, relaxing, and soothing. Used to promote relaxation, reduce stress and anxiety, and improve sleep. Plus, it’s the color of the year.
- Peppermint. Cooling, refreshing, and invigorating. Used to boost energy, improve mental clarity, and relieve headaches and nausea.
- Eucalyptus. Fresh, clean, and invigorating. Used to improve respiratory function, relieve congestion, and promote relaxation.
- Lemon. Clean, fresh, and uplifting. Used to improve mood, boost energy, and promote mental clarity.
- Sage. Purifying, clarifying, and uplifting. Used to cleanse the air, promote mental clarity, reduce stress and anxiety, and support immune and digestive function.
- Tea tree. Fresh, medicinal, and cleansing. Used to promote healthy skin, relieve respiratory issues, and support immune function.
- Rose. Floral, sweet, and romantic. Used to improve mood, reduce stress and anxiety, and promote relaxation.
- Cedarwood. Woody, warm, and grounding. Used to promote relaxation, relieve tension, and improve sleep.
- Bergamot. Citrusy, fresh, and uplifting. Used to improve mood, reduce stress and anxiety, and promote relaxation.
The uplifting benefits of candles
Lighting a candle can freshen up the atmosphere of your room and create a calming or invigorating environment, depending on the fragrance you choose. With a warm, cozy, and relaxing ambiance, you can set the tone for a romantic evening (whether on your own or with a partner), relaxing bubble bath, peaceful meditation session, at-home hot yoga class, or pre-bedtime wind-down routine.
With all-natural candles, you also get a fresh fragrance and potential therapeutic benefits from the added essential oils. For example, as we explained earlier, lavender-scented candles can promote relaxation and ease stress and anxiety, while citrus-scented candles can boost energy and improve mood.
Candles also add a touch of elegance and beauty to any room. They come in a variety of styles, colors, shapes, and sizes, so you can easily find one that matches your decor.
Create your own ambiance
Cultivate the ambiance of your dreams, no matter the occasion, with one of our recommended all-natural picks below.
- My pick for the freshest scent: Benevolence Los Angeles Matte Black Scented Candles, Rose & Sandalwood
- My pick for stress relief: T&H Stress Relief Aromatherapy Candles Eucalyptus Spearmint Scented Candle
- My pick for spiritual cleansing: My Lumina Purification Sage Lavender Candle
- My pick for a spa-like experience: P. F. Candle Co. Ojai Lavender Soy Candle
- My pick for invigoration: Chesapeake Bay Candle, Awaken + Invigorate, Lemongrass Eucalyptus, 2-Pack
- My pick if you want to splurge: Neom Organics You are Amazing Limited Edition Real Luxury Candle, 3 Wick, Lavender, Jasmine, & Rosewood