Once upon a time, dry cuticles used to disturb you. Now that you are reading this, you can say bye-bye to all that because cuticle oils can handle this problem.
Some ladies say they have been using body creams for treating their cuticles. And no harm in that! However, you can get more benefits when treating your body to the right product. We have always reminded you.
In today’s article, we present 19 best cuticle oils and serums – the right products – to solve brittle nails and dryness. Their job is more than that, so you will know other benefits expected when you join other users of this product.
We have covered the method you should follow for its effectiveness. And you can make your own homemade product after reading this article. So, stay with us.
Best Cuticle Oils & Serums to Try: Contents
• 19 Best Cuticle Oils & Serums to Treat Damaged Nail Cuticles
• What Is Cuticle Oil?
• Cuticle Oil Benefits for Stronger Nails
• Some Ingredients in Cuticle Oils and Their Effects
• How to Use Cuticle Oil
• When to Use Cuticle Oil
• 3 Best DIY Cuticle Oils You Can Make at Home
Cuticle oils are made of special oils. You can make them at home or simply buy the manufactured. These 19 cuticle oils and serums are the best in terms of treating damaged, dry nail cuticles in no time!
1. L’Occitane Shea Nail & Cuticle Oil
You should know this cuticle oil contains shea butter, 30% actually. That means it brings the benefits of shea butter – nourishment, strengthened nails, and soft cuticles. It comes with an easy-to-use applicator and is available for purchase at Sephora.
2. Deborah Lippmann Cuticle Oil
Maybe you have seen white spots around your cuticles. Maybe you are only treating them to be healthy. This cuticle oil from Nordstrom is one bottle of essential oils. Use it anytime, any day and improve nail growth.
3. Julep Mighty Nail Cuticle Serum
This nail cuticle serum is formulated with protein-peptide technology. Using it will treat damaged nails and dry cuticles, and your body will start producing more keratin and collagen. With time, fine nail appearance is produced. Get this cuticle serum from Nordstrom!
4. Nails Inc. Superfood Nail & Cuticle Repair Oil
Call it repairer. You’ve made no mistake. The manufacturer was thinking of how to bring damaged nails to normal. No wonder they blended in ‘superfoods.’ What you have after getting this cuticle oil from Sephora is a cuticle repair system.
5. SpaRitual Cuti-Cocktail Nail & Cuticle Oil
One, it is easy to use for it has an eye-dropper tool. Two, it’s multipurpose, nourishing and conditioning the nails and cuticles. Vitamins, aloe vera and essential oils have been combined to form one of the best cuticle oils. You’ll be tempted to use it often because of the results it delivers. But, get it first from Dermstore!
6. Elon Essential Cuticle Oil with Almond Oil Extract
We know how to get soft, smooth cuticles. Use one of the best cuticle oils on the market – the Elon essential cuticles oil available at Dermstore. Simple. Made of almond oils and vitamin B5, it is what you need for a dry cuticle transformation. Enjoy a pleasant fragrance after usage.
7. Essie Apricot Cuticle Oil
One of the best cuticle oils, it won with the smell, if you love a nice smell! No, it doesn’t abandon its main job of hydrating and nourishing your nails and cuticles. Essie treats the nails to be healthy. Get this bright bottle of cuticle treatment from Ulta Beauty!
8. Nailtiques Cuticle Care Oil
This cuticle oil is one unique formula. It contains sunflower, safflower, avocado and hemp seed oil. These ingredients team to hydrate and nourish your nail cuticles. Apply easily with the roller tip, and the magic starts instantly. Pick it up from Dermstore!
9. OPI ProSpa Nail & Cuticle Oil
Many experts worked to manufacture one of the best cuticle oils coming from OPI. And their efforts count. OPI products leave you changed for the better. Always! This isn’t an exception. Go get this cuticle oil from Ulta Beauty to give it a try now!
10. Dr. Hauschka Neem Nail & Cuticle Oil
High penetration. Hydration. Fast condition. Those are the three strong reasons to choose this cuticle oil from Dermstore. It is produced with neem leaf, chamomile and anthyllis, which moisturize, strengthen and soften the cuticles.
11. Sally Hansen Color Therapy Nail & Cuticle Oil
Your color therapy for beautiful and healthy nails is here. The content of this cuticle oil is lightweight, which encourages deeper and faster penetration. Argan and primrose oils are two natural oils with special nourishment. They leave your nail cuticles moisturized, and you satisfied. It’s available for sale at Ulta Beauty.
12. Vapour Organic Beauty Replenish Organic Nail & Cuticle Oil
Not interested in artificial products, choose Vapour Organic Beauty! Not satisfied with your dry cuticles – do the same. This cuticle oil is formulated with reishi mushroom, jojoba seed oil, and pomegranate seed oil. Relatively, it contains fatty acids, antioxidants and an absorbing formula. Start using this cuticle oil from Dermstore and experience healthier nails!
13. Grown Alchemist Cuticle Oil
Your cuticles can be conditioned swiftly. With this product? Of course! You will enjoy the new feel of hydrated nails. And you don’t have to wait for long – after use, start enjoying the feel. You should get this cuticle oil from Revolve to give it a try.
14. Blossom Honeysuckle Cuticle Oil
With this cuticle oil, damaged cuticles will be instantly repaired. This is the product to perfect nails. For hours, the cuticle is kept soft and hydrated, thanks to its essential oils. You have one step to perfect nails: use it. This is not only one of the best cuticle oils, but also one of the most cheerful ones with its Instagram-worthy flowery bottle that you can get from DollsKill!
15. French Girl Nail + Cuticle Oil
This cuticle oil comes to make your nails and cuticles healthier, and you’ll love the citrus-rose scent. With its roll-on formula, it’ll gently sink in your skin, leaving your nails and cuticles perfectly scented and moisturized. Moreover, it’s packed with many helpful ingredients for healthy nails and cuticles. Get this minimalist bottle from Goop!
16. Nail Magic Thai Essence Hand & Cuticle Oil
Thai Essence is a blend of special natural ingredients. It’s rare to find something with a better content: essential oils, lavender, and lemongrass. It treats damaged cuticles and lubricates the skin. One of the best cuticle oils, this product can be found at SallyBeauty.
17. CND Solar Oil Cuticle Oil
Now, guess. Why would a product win an award? You’re right. It is made by one clever and quality-oriented manufacturer and it has proved its worth over and over. Dab some into your cuticles and you will see why. This cuticle oil contains the best of natural light oils and vitamin E. It penetrates deep and gives you the best result. Pick it up from CultBeauty!
18. NCLA So Rich Cuticle Oil
You have many reasons to go for this cuticle oil. And that includes the presence of sunflower seed oil, and vitamin E. This is its strength. The two ingredients are agents for transformation, changing your cuticles and nails for good. Get this cuticle oil from Revolve!
19. Margaret Dabbs Hands Nourishing Nail & Cuticle Serum
With just a thin layer of this cuticle serum, your cuticles will never remain the same. It nourishes the cuticles, protects the nails and enhances beauty. And it comes in a beautiful bottle that is easy to use. You can find it online on Amazon.
Cuticle oils are moisturizing products made of oils, which are used to treat and nourish cuticles. A typical cuticle oil contains oils, like vitamin E oil, jojoba oil, avocado oil, grapeseed, almond, coconut, etc. blended together. And depending on the product and manufacturer, there might be addition or subtraction of ingredients.
The contents are many – citric acid, vegetable oils – depending on the products, you get special effects. The main properties of the ingredients are usually nail-nourishment and fast absorption.
The main purpose of cuticle oils is simple and certain. They are used to nourish and hydrate the cuticles, and usually nails, since the two are closely situated. The nails grow better, healthier, and this enhances the beauty of your manicure.
Cuticle oils have strong effects. If you use them as expected, you will enjoy the benefits, and little goes a long way. To use it, apply a little around the cuticles with a brush or a dropper or a pen applicator if the product has one. Pen applicators are the best for a perfect application.
In short, cuticle oils are made of different oils and other ingredients, such as butter, and they treat the cuticles (and nails) of conditions such as excess cuticle, dryness around the nails, fungal infection, cracked nails, and ingrown nails.
We mentioned earlier the purpose of cuticle oils. And you will notice it is targeted at the nails and cuticles especially. These are the benefits it brings generally.
When you use it, the cuticle is lubricated and hydrated. Conditions such as cracking, bruising, breaking, scrapes and brittle nails are prevented. If you are the type that picks or bites your nails, using cuticle oil treats potential infections or wounds. Nail psoriasis, a kind of nail problem, is also prevented.
One of the important factors of cuticle oils is that they increase blood flow to the fingers. And this helps to grow and develop the finger-healing ability. Injuries, inflammation or irritation of the skin are corrected.
So you have involved your hands in activities such as chlorination, salty or soapy water, excessive cold, sun or other environmental conditions, which could cause chapped, dry or damaged nails. But get cuticle oils, and everything is resolved or prevented.
The cuticles and the area around them need moisture to prevent dehydration and dryness. And cuticle oils execute that excellently than hand creams. When you notice the cuticles are growing to detach from the nails, use cuticle oils – they will moisturize the area around. With little time, the cuticle returns to its position.
The problem with nails can be traced at times to the environment. For instance, if the cuticle, which is the immediate family of the nails, is healthy, the nails will grow healthy. Putting your hands in water can cause the cuticles to be drier when you are outside the water. And you might even develop hangnails.
Use cuticle oils daily and regularly. The nails will benefit. You, the user, will have more beautiful nails. As the nails are healthy, the skin is repaired from damage.
Opt for cuticle oils instead of creams. They absorb faster and help better. The effect starts soon. It conditions, softens and adds a good amount of moisture to the nails.
Though you have a lot of ingredients that could make cuticle oils, you should get the ones that can truly help. These few are recommended. When you find them in a product, jump on it. If it has all or most of the ingredients, that’s golden. Get it fast.
Jojoba Seed Oil
Do you ever wonder why it is present in many cosmetic and skincare products? The oil is a wax ester. It looks like the skin collagen and is really recommended for dry and sensitive cuticles.
Call it carrier oil that allows other oils to enjoy deeper penetration. In and of itself, it penetrates deeper into the skin layers, moisturizes and acts against bacterial infection.
This acts on the skin surface, as a protector of the nail beds. Its larger molecules would work at the upper layer of the skin. There, it nourishes, condition, softens and prevents irritation.
It has linoleic acid. This acid acts as an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory agent. The oil also locks in moisture into the skin and improves the skin flexibility, therefore.
This oil acts against fungal infections. And if you have brittle nails, then it is good for you. It moisturizes like others. It works your nails to a new brilliance and healthier appearance.
Aloe Vera Gel
This helps in treating any form of redness and inflammation under the nails. And it is a strong oil, so be advised, little is enough. Look out of it.
This butter is a natural moisturizer. It melts at room temperature, making it easy to blend and also being a good choice for a homemade gel.
The oil is plant-based oil and is a rich antioxidant because of an ingredient called sesamol. Due to the oil’s strong nature, a little amount is recommended. When used, it removes radicals from the areas, cures oxidative stress, and new cells will grow.
This vitamin contains tocopherol, which has many health benefits to the skin. Vitamin E helps to repair damaged cuticles. It is an antioxidant. It treats torn skin and softens the skin. And its job can be associated with reducing aging in the skin.
Wheat Germ Oil
It is one of the best ways to get vitamin E that we have mentioned above. It stimulates blood flow to the nails and acts as an antioxidant. Nail growth is improved, and brittle nails are cured.
We assume you have chosen one of the best cuticle oils from our list or you have made your homemade version. So let’s use it.
• Clean your nails. Remove nail polish. Well, using cuticle oil with polishes will not harm you but it cannot penetrate nail polishes.
• Wash your hands using soap and water. This will open your pores to the cuticle oils for better penetration.
• Shake the product’s bottle or stir the DIY version to mix the contents well.
• Lay your palm on a towel with your nails staring at you.
• Depending on the applicator, hold a dropper at about 5 cm from your nails and apply. Or dip a nail brush and apply the cuticle oil on the nails.
• Apply the cuticle oil on each nail of each hand with the tools you are using – a brush, an applicator or a dropper. Little is enough on each nail.
• Massage into the cuticles gently. Don’t forget the sides. Spend a minute massaging at least, so you will encourage blood circulation.
• After two to three hours, the cuticle oil would have absorbed into your skin. So you can reapply at this time. Or you can decide when to reapply.
• After Manicure Use: The tail tends to be dry after a manicure, so use cuticle oils to rehydrate and add a fresh shine. Your cuticles are your target in this case. So add a little drop and massage for a minute.
• After Pushing Back Cuticles: Soak your cuticles in warm water for some minutes. This will soften your cuticles. Use an orangewood stick or a metal cuticle pusher to push back your cuticles. Apply the cuticle oils and massage for a minute.
• Leisure Time: When you are less busy, you can use cuticle oils. It could be during your lunch break, or as you watch your favorite TV show.
• Before Bed: To keep your nails looking fresh for the next day, you could use cuticle oil overnight. Apply it as explained in the first stage above. Wear gloves to bed.
• It is not advisable to use cuticle oil before a manicure. Nail polish will not glue perfectly to your nails over cuticle oil.
• If you must use before a manicure, then, clean your hands with acetone or alcohol after using the oils.
• You should use cuticle oils twice a day, at least.
• Use creams before using cuticle oils. This can help when you stop using cuticle oils. Your nails won’t dry faster and crack easily.
• Understand your body and your skin sensitivity. Some skin develops irritation after using cuticle oils.
Just in case you want to go the DIY route, here you have 3 homemade recipes of effective cuticle oils to try!
DIY Vegetable Cuticle Oil
• Cold pressed vegetable oil
• Some drops of essential oils
• Mix 1/2 oz. of cold-pressed vegetable oil and five to eight drops of essential oil. Shake well before use.
• Store in a roller bottle or any container it would be convenient.
• After two weeks of use, discard the cuticle oil if you didn’t finish it.
DIY Organic Cuticle Oil
• 2 ml of sweet almond oil
• 2 ml of jojoba oil
• 1 ml of rice bran oil
• 2 drops of vitamin E oil
• 1 drop of lavender essential oil
• 1 drop Roman chamomile essential oil
• Mix the ingredients in a glass bottle. Cover the lid with its cap and shake.
• Massage into your nails and cuticles.
Easiest DIY Cuticle Oil
This is the general idea of making your homemade cuticle oils.
• Organic oils of various types. Their nutritional properties are unrivalled. You can check above to find some options.
• Pour an equal amount of unrefined, organic oils in a bottle.
• Shake and mix all of the oils together.
• Wash an empty polish bottle with alcohol or acetone.
• Transfer the mixture into the cleaned polish bottle.
Photos via @irina_rain, @ameliaasays, @vivaluxuryblog, @abeautifulmess