This post may contain affiliate links.
The statement, ‘I had a bland bath’, can only come from you if you haven’t heard of the benefits of bath oils and shower oils. Or you heard, but haven’t tried one. For instance, some bath oils with frankincense will give you that pleasant smell that will make your spa angelic like it is done in paradise.
Bath oils have been used in the beauty routine of South Asian countries especially Indians. In truth, no country is exempted from its use. Why? One thing is sure, when oils are combined with water, the penetration power increases to a certain degree.
And that is what we are up to in today’s article. What are the benefits of shower oils? How do I choose the best bath oil? Which cleansing oils for body should I go for to give me the soft, goddess-like skin of my dream? This article has got all your questions and doubts covered!
Guide to Cleansing Bath Oils: Contents
- 15 Best Shower & Bath Oils to Buy
- What Is Bath Oil and How Does It Work?
- Cleansing Shower & Bath Oil Benefits
- How to Choose the Best Cleansing Bath Oils for Your Body
- How to Use Bath Oils for Body Cleansing
Before going into details, here we present 15 of the best bath oils and shower oils that will give you the smooth skin and the pleasant bath time you have been looking for!
1. L’Occitane Cleansing & Softening Shower Oil With Almond Oil
This shower oil will bring the effects you desire – softer skin. It has ingredients like fatty acids and almond oils, while the texture is an oil-to-milk-like liquid that soothes your skin. This body oil cleanser is also great for using as a base for shaving. Get it from Sephora!
2. Glossier Body Hero Daily Oil Wash
Everything changes when you add water to this body oil cleanser. Inspired by facial oil cleansers, it is a blend of seven natural oils for body. It doesn’t strip the skin or disrupt the top layer, but rather cleans and hydrates for a smoother appearance. Since it contains 0% water, this bath oil won’t affect the pH of your body skin either. You can get this magical shower oil straight from Glossier.
3. Diptique Do Son Shower Oil
The floral scent of this shower oil is a remarkable one. Accentuate your sensuality and the bright skin texture using this body oil cleanser that turns into a foamy emulsion upon contact with water. The apricot seed oil contained is responsible for the skin softness and well-being. It is available through Nordstrom.
4. Too Cool For School Coconut Milky Oil Shower Moisturizing Body Wash
This product is made with 84% natural ingredients, which means you are using a body oil that is as close to its natural state as possible. The oil-to-foam texture changes the oil into moisturizing creamy milk upon contact with water, which cleans, soothes and hydrates the skin to the max. This is a two-in-one shower oil and body wash, one of the best body oils on the market, and it retails through Sephora.
5. Susanne Kaufmann Oil Bath
It is time to cocker your skin with the best bath oil. You know, your body needs nourishment, smoothness and the sense of well-being. This product is formulated with ylang-ylang tree oil, patchouli plant oil and lavender oil that will give you the relaxing bath of your dreams. It is has a velvety feel and protective properties that you can get only from an essential skin victual like this one. You can get this bath oil from Nordstrom.
6. Skin and Co Roma Umbrian Truffle Shower Oil
This shower oil is designed to remove dryness and skin dehydration. It gives the skin a silky-smooth feel and removes fine lines. Feed your skin with essential ingredients like black winter truffle extract, argan and grapeseed oils, which soften the skin, making it look younger. One of the best shower oils for aging and dry skin types, this bottle is available at Dermstore.
7. Soap Chérie Luxurious Shower Oil
Coming in three scents, this shower oil is rich in Dead Sea salt and jojoba oils, which contain essential nutrients, like minerals and vitamins. It purifies and nourishes the skin giving it a smooth texture. The scent will take you on a luxurious experience that lasts long. Pick up your favorite scent from Nordstrom!
8. Library of Flowers Honeycomb Shower Gel
For a deep penetration, this bath oil goes into the lower layer of your skin to bring out the best appearance. It is a hydrating body oil cleanser that contains shea butter and jojoba oils. The scent is unique, inspired by nature. Your skin becomes clean and well moisturized at the same time. You can get yourself a bottle from Dermstore.
9. L’Occitane Shea Shower Oil
One of the best shower oils, this product features lipid-rich shea oil to nourish your body. When you use it, it leaves your skin with a protective film that hydrates dry skin and coats it with a luxurious scent. What’s more, it also soothes skin tightness, making it feel supple. Pick it up from Sephora!
10. Lalicious The Oil
What if you could get all your skin desire from a single product? This one bottle of bath oil is a multipurpose product – you can call it a massage oil, a hydrating body moisturizer, and a scalp treatment. You are one step to a remarkable spa experience. It’s perfect for all skin types and is just amazing for treating dryness and dehydration. You can find it for purchase at Dermstore.
11. Kiehl’s Since 1851 Creme de Corps Smoothing Oil-To-Foam Body Cleanser
For those who have dry and dull skin, there is a new, and effective remedy. This bath oil cleanser forms a soft, light foam when mixed with water. Made with castor oil and boasting a decadent smell, it will give you an effective and clean spa experience. The skin will become smooth, velvety and moisturized. Pick it up from Sephora!
12. Aromatherapy Associates De-Stress Mind Bath & Shower Oil
This shower oil can de-stress after a long, stressful day. It brings mental clarity just as it restores the skin energy. After use, the coconut oil will hydrate your skin, while the rosewood is perfect for skin conditioning. Other ingredients like chamomile, petigrain, frankincense and rosemary oils all combine to give you a therapeutic experience. It’s available online at Dermstore.
13. Sheamoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Bath Body & Massage Oil
This is the right bath oil for getting an even skin tone. Not just an even skin tone, but the type that feels silky smooth to touch and radiant to the eye. It is also used as a relief after a hard day job. Relax your mind and let your skin reward you with a glow. This bath oil is available for purchase at Ulta Beauty.
14. Bioderma Atoderm Shower Oil
This shower oil is a requirement for anyone who wants to intensify a luxurious appearance out of dull or dry skin. Dehydration and dryness will disappear, and you will wake up to softer skin that is resistant to environmental factors. Perfect for sensitive skin as well, this shower oil can be found at Dermstore.
15. Czech & Speake Neroli Bath Oil
This is a fragranced bath oil. It is made for everyone who wants nourished and hydrated skin. One bath with this oil results in fragranced skin. Enjoy its top-notch moisturizing benefits related to the essential oils in its ingredients. This is one of the best bath oils, and you can get it from Harrods!
Cleansing shower or bath oils, as the name implies, are oils, which are used in the bath to perform a similar function like bar soaps and body washes. Like facial oil cleansers, they have the properties to make your skin clean without stripping it of its natural oils.
While body oils are applied after the bath or shower to moisturize the skin, cleansing bath oils are used to clean and hydrate the skin. Once the bath oil mixes with water, it forms a milky emulsion, which the user can use with water to make the skin sparkling clean.
The origin of bath oils and shower oils is famous as India, but in all honesty, every country has at one point combined effective oils with water for one skin benefit or another. History says, during the Stone Age, humans practiced the combination of olive and sesame oils to enjoy their bath. And science backed it up that the bath oils were healthy for use.
We have capitalized on that these days. Shower oils are good thanks to the nourishing and hydrating natural substance. If oils are combined with water, they form a powerful product. The penetration effect can go deeper into the skin than before. And that idea through the test of time has become what we have in bottles and that is used for skin treatment all over the world.
Homemade bath oils should be used with caution. Their ingredients are not like the manufactured ones. While most manufactured shower oils help to maintain the skin oils, homemade recipes could lead to the loss of moisture.
For those who want to make a transition from their regular bar soaps to shower oils, these are the reasons the move is worth it:
• Shower oils are protective. They form a thin film-like moisture layer over the skin that is known to be protective against environmental factors. They help prevent bacterial infection.
• The skin cells tend to unite, and this formation can lead to what is called transepidermal water loss. Bath oils provide intense hydration. The oils would normally hydrate the skin unlike your normal bath wash or bath salt. More than that, if you have been using other forms of skincare products for long, switching to bath oils is recommended. It locks or seals moisture and humectants into your skin for long.
• The scent is amazing. This one is not what you could die for, but a good scented bath oil makes a huge difference, really. Smelling nice is necessary for good mood, and bath oils can bring such aroma and sensation.
• So you feel stressed? Worry not. When used in bath, the ingredients – herbs, for instance – of bath oils can help bring back your energy to your body, relieve your aching muscles and clarify your mind. Also, after bath you will notice that stiffness around your joints is gone, and you feel relaxed and energized like a brand new engine.
• Bath oils improve blood circulation. The application of oils during or after bath will dilate the blood vessels, and this will allow more circulation of blood in the skin.
• Your skin starts to glow. When the health of your skin is improved by consistently feeding it with essential oils form bath oils, the result is that your skin shows it all. Shower oils bring out the adorable radiance out of your skin.
If you want the best result from the bath oils you use, you should be specific with the type of ingredients contained. Are their benefits related to what you want? Are they suitable for your skin type?
Therefore, we need to state the different types of ingredients and what to expect.
The key ingredients of shower oils are essential oils. They are concentrated and rich, and a little of the product will just be enough for you to get the result you want. Below are different types of essential oils and their benefits.
• Bergamot essential oils are best to help you de-stress, solve depression and anxiety issues.
• Eucalyptus is an essential oil used for respiratory issues and other issues like fever and headaches.
• Jasmine essential oil is a brilliant choice for a luxurious bath. It makes you feel de-stressed and reduces tension. Other sources say, it helps to ease childbirth.
• Chamomile essential oil helps to restore or bring calmness. It is antiseptic oil and could improve mood in depression.
• Lavender essential oil is used for many purposes, which include as an anti-depressant, deodorant and as a sedative. It could help with issues such as eczema, sprains, hot flashes, headaches and insomnia.
• Lemon essential oils are good for improving concentration and it could reduce the symptoms of acne.
• Peppermint essential oil can be used to improve mental alertness. It could also be used to energize, refresh and cool the body.
• Rose essential oils are good for aiding digestion, circulation, and conditions related to respiration such as asthma. And it could relieve stress.
• Sandalwood or rosewood oil has a unique fragrance. It also helps with anxiety and depression.
• Rosemary is recommended for an early morning bath when you are preparing for work or for a short bath in the evening. It relieves aches and sore muscles.
• Frankincense has a beautiful scent. And a bath with it will help improve the muscles and bones.
• Tea tree oil is a great antiseptic and can heal cuts and burns, while also soothing muscle aches.
Now that you have gotten a bottle of bath oil that perfectly fits what you desire for your skin, you can focus on the right method for you to get the best result.
• Prepare your bath and rinse your body. Fill the tub with water.
• You can use the bath oil after rinsing your body. However, if the oils aren’t emulsifying oils, then, you can change the order in which you use the oil.
• It would be wise to tip the cleansing oils to your bath water. Ensure the water is warm. Add the oils to the running water.
• Light the mood with some candles or use scent lamps. Your favorite music playing a soft tune is good for your mood.
• If you didn’t rinse your body, ensure you brush the skin with a dry, bristle brush before you step into the water. You can do this before you rinse your body. It will help to exfoliate and increase penetration.
• Step in and enjoy your oil bath.
• For those that have sensitive skin, it won’t be wise to use bath oils directly in bath water. Therefore, you can use a heated scent diffuser. Alternatively you can spritz the oil on a towel and use it.
• Some cleansing oils are not good for your skin type, so read the information on the bottle of the product.
• Try your hands at different types of bath oils. You will discover the one that suits your mood best and the one that doesn’t.
• If you don’t have time for a bath, you can use your body cleansing oil while taking a shower, just like your normal body wash.
• Bath time should be quiet. If you wish, you can listen to yourself breathe. Just do away with loud noise.
Photos via @navygraceblog, @sonagasparian