- Eyebrow tinting is the process of using semi-permanent brow-safe dye to color the brows and sometimes the skin underneath.
- Tinted brows can last up to a month, depending on the type of eyebrow dye you use.
- You can expect to spend as little as $20 to get your brows tinted, and it doesn’t require any aftercare.
Eyebrow tinting is the quick and easy solution to nearly invisible brows. It colors the brow hairs, as well as the baby hairs below them, and can even slightly tint the skin. This gives your face a better frame, especially if your brows don’t normally show up without makeup!
If you’d like to try DIY-ing this brow transformation, we’ve selected the best eyebrow dye kits available online and also included our tips for selecting and applying a brow tint all by yourself.
We then give a thorough guide about everything you need to know about eyebrow tinting, with the help of two experts: Danielle Boyer, a makeup artist and eyebrow pro that has worked for Anastasia Beverly Hills and Boom Boom Brow Bar in New York, and Shanna McWilliams, the owner of the fantastic MadLash Studio in Alexandria, Virginia.
Eyebrow Tinting Guide: Contents
- 9 Best Eyebrow Dye Kits to Try at Home
- What Is Eyebrow Tinting?
- How Long Does Eyebrow Tint Last?
- Is Brow Tinting Safe?
- How Much Does Brow Tinting Cost?
- How to Choose the Best Eyebrow Dye Kit to Use at Home?
- How to Tint Eyebrows Safely?
- Eyebrow Tinting Aftercare & Maintenance
9 Best Eyebrow Dye Kits to Try at Home
From professional eyebrow dye kits to easy-to-use makeup brow tints, we’ve selected the best products you can use to dye your eyebrows at home.
1. Refectocil Color Kit in Natural Brown
This professional-level eyebrow dye is a fantastic choice if you’re confident with your skills. The set comes with everything needed to dye the brows, including the dye, a developer, a brush, and a mixing cup. This kind of tint grabs the hairs beautifully, but it only stains the skin for a day or two. If your main concern is light or gray hair, then this is a fantastic kit to choose. Natural brown is a nearly universal color, but Refectocil also carries it in light brown and black. Buy it from Amazon!
2. Godefroy Instant Eyebrow Color in Medium Brown
This eyebrow color kit is a little more appropriate for at-home use. The set has enough product for three applications, and it includes a few prep tools, a brow color, and applicators, although we prefer a regular angle brush. This is the fastest acting eyebrow tinting option on our list since it works in just 2 minutes, although you can leave it on a little longer for darker results. It’s available on Amazon in medium brow, as well as light and dark.
3. Maybelline New York Brow Tattoo Long-Lasting Tint
If you’re curious about eyebrow tinting but not ready for totally dyeing your eyebrows, this makeup product is worth a try. It’s a peel-off tint that dyes your brows and the skin below them, but just for a few days. You apply it when it’s in gel form, and then it dries down – super easy! After 20 minutes, the result is brows that look filled in without the need to redo your makeup. It works especially well on sparse hairs, although the result can look a little blocky for the first day or two. Buy it on Amazon in light, medium, or dark brown!
4. Mina Eyebrow Henna
This henna-based eyebrow dye is amazing, but we only recommend it if you’ve already tinted your brows with other products and kits at least a few times. This is because henna-based eyebrow tints are much more intense and long-lasting than typical brow dyes. They don’t only dye the hair, but they also leave a stain on the skin.
It’s like a two-in-one eyebrow dye and tattoo, but without the pain of microblading. We especially love this affordable kit because it includes everything you’ll need (with the exception of a brush), and Amazon carries this kit in 6 shades to suit all hair colors.
5. Etude House Tint My Brows Gel
This peel-off brow product is similar to Maybelline from the Korean brand Etude House. The main difference is that it needs to stay on the brows for at least two hours to take hold, although that has a benefit: the tint will stay on your brows for a few days longer. It’s a wonderful pre-vacation product, although you can also make it a regular part of your beauty routine. Amazon carries it in a warm brown that’s great for redheads or honey blondes, and a gray-brown that’s better for most other hair colors.
6. Ardell Professional Brow Tint with Compact
This brow tinting kit comes from one of our favorite eyelash brands, Ardell. It’s a great home-use product with a powder color and liquid developer. The kit includes enough product for 12 uses, so it’ll last you a full year. It’s a typical tint that’ll color the hairs but not the skin, and it’s even effective on gray hairs. It comes in dark brown or light brown from Amazon.
7. 1000 Hour Eyelash & Brow Dye/ Tint Kit
This is another nice tinting option that works especially well for blondes. The brow tint is a little less saturated than other options, so if you’re nervous about going overboard and having overly dark brows, you’ll feel safer with this kit. The kit includes a cream color, developer, mixing wand, and applicator, although we’d recommend using your own brush to apply it instead. It takes hold in just 3 minutes, which is as easy as can be. Order it from Amazon!
8. Godefroy Professional Hair Color Tint Kit in Medium Brown
This brand continues to impress. If you’re ready and willing to take the plunge with an intense eyebrow tint formula, this is not a bad choice. It’s technically not recommended for the brows, but many users break the rules and appreciate the results. The kit includes 20 capsules of medium brown hair dye powder along with a developer, a thin brush, and a mixing bowl. You don’t need much else!
The medium brown comes out dark, and since it’s a permanent dye formula, it will last on the brows for around 6 weeks before the hairs renew themselves. This is a good choice if you have dark hair and complexion, especially if your aim is to cover grays, although, for very pale folks, it might be a little intense. Find it on Amazon!
9. Estel Only Looks Professional Eyebrow Eyelash Tint Dye
This kit includes a hair dye that’s safe for both the brows and lashes, making it a very gentle choice. It’s similar to Refrectocil, with a cream color and developer, and you can expect similar results. What makes this kit stand out to us is the color selection, which includes just one brown but has some great dark options, including black, blue-black, and graphite that is a deep gray we think will work well for those with naturally gray hair who want deeper brows in the same undertone. You can get it on Amazon.
What Is Eyebrow Tinting?
Eyebrow tinting is the process of dyeing your brows and sometimes also dyeing the skin underneath them. It can be done with an eye-safe hair dye, henna-based hair dye, as well as some unique makeup products.
The reason why eyebrow tinting is so effective is simple, explains Boyer: “The same light vellus hair we have all over the face, we have throughout our brows. Clients are left looking like they have twice as much brow after all these tiny light hairs are picked up.”
While just about anyone (assuming they don’t have hair dye allergies) can do eyebrow tinting, it can be miraculous for some. “When growing brows in, tinting can help with the process so much! Allowing brows to look much fuller while growing in. It’s a total game-changer for blondes, clients with gray, and any brows, really!” Boyer says.
How Long Does Eyebrow Tint Last?
How long your eyebrow tinting will last strongly depends on the product you choose and how closely you stick to the aftercare.
• Makeup-style brow tints will last between 3-7 days.
• Professional eyebrow tinting with a regular eye-safe dye will last between 2-4 weeks, although any tint to the skin will only last a few days.
• Lastly, henna-based brow tinting will last the longest. The tattoo-like stain on the skin will last for 1-2 weeks, while the dye on the brow hairs will last 4-6 weeks.
Is Brow Tinting Safe?
“Brow tinting is totally safe with products being specifically formulated for use around the eye area,” explains McWilliams, although she does caution that allergies to the tint are totally possible.
If you have hair dye allergies or you’ve never dyed your hair and simply don’t know, she has a simple suggestion: “A patch test can be done prior to the cosmetic treatment to test for such reactions. It’s a great way to try before you buy.”
How Much Does Brow Tinting Cost?
As with all salon services, the cost of professional eyebrow tinting will vary from city to city and from salon to salon. Having a celebrity eyebrow stylist tint your brows will cost hundreds of dollars, while the aesthetician at the local strip mall might only charge $10-$20. Another factor that will influence the cost is whether you add other services, like brow threading or waxing.
How to Choose the Best Eyebrow Dye Kit to Use at Home?
Before settling on tinting your eyebrows at home, it’s worth noting that professionals generally caution against it.
“I think it’s best to go not only to a professional but to somewhere that specializes in brows or tinting,” Boyer says. “I have heard many horror stories from clients that had blonde or light brown brows whose brows were turned black.”
These kinds of troubles are even more likely to occur when you tint your brows by yourself, and especially if you choose the wrong tinting kit. If you’re committed to trying to DIY this, we do have some tips to help.
• If you’re new to the process and a little nervous, we recommend purchasing an eyebrow tinting makeup product instead of a professional eyebrow dye. Makeup tints tend to last only for a few days, so if you make a mistake, at least it won’t last for long.
• Consider what you’re hoping to achieve. Most eyebrow dyes will only color the hairs, so if your hair is very light, then it’s a great choice.
• If your hair is sparse, however, or you have bald patches, it’s better to choose a brow tint that will also stain the skin, like henna brow dye.
• When it comes to choosing a color, opt for a shade similar to your hair color but a touch lighter.
• If you have black hair, a dark brown tint will probably work. If you have dark brown hair, go for a medium or natural brown. If you’re blonde, then choosing a blonde tint is a must.
How to Tint Eyebrows Safely?
Some eyebrow tinting kits require mixing a color and developer together before you start, while others are just open and go. Make sure to read the instructions for the specific product you choose.
• Always start with clean skin and without makeup on, at least around your brows.
• Have a plan in place for what kind of eyebrow shape you would like to create with your tint, especially if you’ve selected a product that tints both the skin and the hairs. You can draw an outline around your brows, and then apply the tint within it if you’re worried about coloring outside the lines.
• To avoid getting any tint on your skin, also coat the skin around your brows with petroleum jelly. It’ll create a barrier and protect your skin from tint stains.
• Once you’re ready, apply the tint to your brows either with the included applicator or with a clean brow brush (a thin angle brush is best). The process is similar to applying a brow gel or pomade, although with hair dye-style tints, you need to be extra careful to cover each hair completely from all sides, especially when it comes to more stubborn gray hairs. To ensure this, first apply the tint starting at the front of the brows and working to the ends and then do a second, careful application from the tail back to the front to apply the tint against the direction of hair growth.
• Once your brows are covered in eyebrow dye, use a damp cotton bud to clean up any smudges on the skin and to make sure the perimeter of your brows is pristine. Next, wait for the tint to take hold, which can be anywhere from 3 minutes to two hours, depending on the specific tint you purchased.
• Once the time has passed, you can remove the tint. If you used a makeup tint, peel it off gently, while hair dye tints should be wiped away lightly with a damp cotton pad.
Eyebrow Tinting Aftercare & Maintenance
If you’re usually bad when it comes to following aftercare procedures, you’ll be happy to know that there’s not much to do after tinting your brows. “Whether done professionally or at home, the best thing about this service is its extremely LOW-maintenance,” Boyers says.
That said, she still has a few recommendations: “Once tinted, I just advise to avoid scrubbing your brows when washing your face.”
They both also recommend going easy with brow makeup since removing it will also take off some tint. That shouldn’t be a problem since, as Boyer enthuses about tinting, “3 to 4 weeks without having to fill in your brows… sign me up!”
Photos via Instagram