Are you looking for feminine magic? A hairstyle that can seem effortless yet glamorous? If that is the case, long curly hairstyles are the perfect choice.
Whether your hair is stick straight, wavy, or tightly coiled, I can assure you that curly hairstyles for long hair can work for you. Curly long hairstyles are the go-to choice this year (and let’s be real, every year) for all the parties and special events.
What Do Different Kinds of Long Curly Hairstyles Convey?
Are you going for a more innocent look, or do you want to turn on the retro femme fatale seduction? Different kinds of curls convey different vibes, so keep that in mind before you grab that curling iron.
Bottleneck curls are perfect for a more innocent look, since they are usually associated with Shirley Temple characters.
For a look that is a little more wild and carefree, tightly coiled curls will actually work really well. If you naturally have wilder curls, simply take good care of them and let them do their thing, if, on the other hand, your hair is naturally straight or wavy, you can use a smaller curling iron, curl the strands in every direction, and then tease the hair a little bit when you are done. Make sure to start the curling as close to the scalp as possible (but be careful not to burn yourself!)
For a really unique look that has a bit of a retro vibe, use a medium-sized curling iron, and curl all of your strands in the same direction. You can add to that a bit of a dangerous femme fatale edge by giving this hairstyle an extreme side part.
Lastly, for long curly hairstyles that are simply classy, timeless, and a little fancier, use a medium to large curling iron, and curl your hair in alternating directions. You can even start the curls just above the ear – this looks especially nice with an ombre hair color. This tends to look especially lovely when paired with a semi updo.
How to Style Long Curly Hairstyles?
If your hair is not naturally curly, you will definitely need the help of a curling iron. First, you must choose the correct curling iron. If you want bigger, luxurious curls, you need a bigger curling iron.
For smaller and wilder curls, opt for a small curling iron. Another option is to alternate different sizes of curling irons, for a ton of texture and interest in the curls.
Once you’ve picked your curling iron size, you can get started:
• Step 1: Start with fairly clean, dry hair. If your hair has a very hard time holding a curl, however, it is best if it’s not freshly washed. Make sure it is also brushed, and that there are absolutely no tangles.
• Step 2: Turn on your curling iron. If you have more delicate hair, turn the heat on to about 320F. If your hair is stronger and tougher to curl, you can turn it up as high as 430F.
• Step 3: Prep your hair with a heat protection spray. A heat protection spray will both help protect your hair from heat damage, but it will also help your hair hold the curl better.
• Step 4: Split your hair into sections. Simply separate your hair into thick strands, and clip them back with a hair clip. It is best to start with the bottom layer of the hair.
• Step 6: Choose a section of hair, and twist it into your curling iron. Remember, the bigger the strand of hair you choose, the looser your curls will be, and the smaller the strand, the tighter. Additionally, depending on the direction you choose, and how you twist the hair around the wand, you could achieve different kinds of curls going in different directions.
• Step 7: Once your hair is curled around the curling iron, hold it for about ten to 15 seconds.
• Step 8: Gently pull the curling iron away from the strand, and move on to the next section of hair. As you finish curling one section of hair, you can slowly release the next section, and continue curling.
• Step 9: Once you have finished curling your hair, you can do a little bit more styling. For looser curls, you can run your fingers through your hair. For waves, you can even brush your hair out. Alternatively, you can pull your hair into an updo or semi-updo.
• Step 10: Once you are perfectly happy with the styling, finish your hair off with a spray of hairspray, to guarantee that the curls will stay in place for the whole day!
Hair Curling Hacks for Long Curly Hairstyles
The step-by-step guide above is pretty clear, but here are a few additional hacks that might make your hair curling adventure easier!
• For tighter coils, twist your hair before wrapping it around the curling iron.
• To turn your hair curling iron into a curling wand, simply remove the iron attachment by unscrewing the little screw at the base of the tool.
• To help your curling iron along a bit, and make sure its curls last a little longer, clip the hair in its curl after removing the curling wand.
• The closer you curl to the roots of the hair, the more volume your hair will have and the longer your curls will last.
• If you are in a serious rush, pull your hair back into a ponytail, and start curling. You’ll get some lovely waves, although they won’t last as long.
• Holding your curling iron vertically will give you really tight curls, while holding it horizontally from your hair will give looser curls.
• With a bit of practice, you can actually curl your hair by wrapping it around a straightening iron.
Long Curly Hairstyle Ideas
There are so many ways of curling hair, and there are so many different ways of styling curly hairstyles for long hair! If you are having a hard time deciding, don’t worry, we have some gorgeous examples coming up of all of the best long hairstyles for curly hair!
1. Dark Chocolate and Caramel Long Curly Hair
The great thing about long curly hairstyles is that they do an excellent job taking the edge off of an ombre. In this dark chocolate and caramel ombre, the lighter, bottom half of the hair is volumized with loose corkscrew curls.
2. Semi Pulled Back Long Curls with Sombre
This lovely warm toned sombre of brown and blonde is a little messy, and shows how great long hairstyles for curly hair work, when you pull back just the hair at the crown. Below it the hair hangs in a cascade of waves and curls.
3. Chocolate Curl Explosion
This is a beautiful example of how curly hairstyles for long hair can look when the hair is naturally curly, and also extremely healthy. The hair here is full, long, and features a modern center part, for just a hint of a ‘70s groove.
4. Loose Curl Balayage
This is a much more sleek, controlled curling, with a larger iron. When paired with this gorgeous balayage, the effect is like of melted caramel – rich, warm, and inviting.
5. Ash & Bronze Long Curly Hair
Long curly hairstyles can also make it easier to blend cool and warm colors all into one balayage, like in this cool ash and warm bronze example. The ultra thick and sleek curls are simply astounding.
6. Beachy End Long Curls
This is another example of long curly hairstyles, where the curls start a little lower, near the shoulders, providing a soft transition from the top brown color to the summery blondes. This sexy effect can be achieved easily with a larger curling iron, or hair rollers.
7. Violet and Lavender Bun Curls
Long curly hairstyles are already fun, but when you add two semi buns right on top of the head, and then go the extra length to dye the hair really fun shades of purple, you end up with something impossibly adorable and whimsical.
8. Dual Toned Girlish Long Curls
This incredible color painting technique pairs metallic purple with baby pink, and they go really well with the curling technique that allows for really lush spirals, with slightly wispy ends. It’s an expertly colorful take on curly hairstyles for long hair.
9. A Touch of Whimsy on Tightly Coiled Hair
Natural, tight curls like these are simply gorgeous in long curly hairstyles, and in this example a touch of bright pink and purple hues ups the playfulness factor.
10. Autumnal Loose Waves
Is there anything that screams autumn more, than loose long curly hairstyles in fallen leaf shades of burnt orange? Doesn’t seem like it. The symmetrical waves in this look are pretty cool as well, and go well with the cozy balayage.
11. We’re All Mad Here Curls
This is one of those long curly hairstyles you reserve for high fashion events. The bright shade of orange, paired with volumized and teased tiny wisps of curls is way out there, in a beautiful, fiery way.
12. Lavender Goddess Waves
I think waves definitely count as curly hairstyles for long hair – especially when the waves are thick and a little messy, like in this beautiful picture. The thick crown braid and the lavender waves pair together in a lush and mythical style.
13. Queen of Hearts Curls
Updos are totally doable and appropriate as curly hairstyles for long hair. This style shows how much the curly hair helps to create height and volume, in this case with two top buns that merge into a braid.
14. Bronze Balayage Long Curly Hair
This is such a cool curling technique, as far as long curly hairstyles are concerned. The curls all face in one direction, in result in a bronze balayage that looks very clean and luxurious. Notice that the curls have been brushed out just a little bit, so they are somewhere between a wave and a curl.
15. Coiled Curls with Side Fringe
Long curly hairstyles can look great when paired with a side bang or fringe. In this case, the gorgeous dark brown, tightly coiled locks are slightly layered, with a longer side bang that hits the chin. You could achieve a similar effect by twisting the hair first, and threading it through a tiny curling iron.
16. Upgraded Baby Doll Curls
Usually, when we think about bottleneck curls, we think about cute little girls, like Shirley Temple, but when the bottleneck curls are paired with long hairstyles, the effect is a beautiful synthesis of cute and hella sexy.
17. Bronze Metal Spirals
These thicker, looser coils appear lush and touchably soft in one of those long curly hairstyles that only Guy Tang can create. The gold and bronze balayage adds so much texture, while light layering keeps things interesting.
18. Disheveled Beach Wave Balayage
These disheveled waves look textured and healthy, thanks to a beautiful blonde and brown balayage, and just a bit of teasing. This is definitely one of the messier takes on long curly hairstyles.
19. Mermaid Lavender Curly Hairstyle
This is how you do longer than long hairstyles for curly hair – gently blow-dry to achieve silky soft waves, and if you are brave, adopt the kind of platinum lavender color only an expert like Guy Tang can create.
20. Voluminous Feathered Violet Waves
This larger than life cut is not only attention grabbing, but it is also one of the few takes on side parts in this list of long curly hairstyles. Thanks to a lot of hair brushing and teasing, the waves are loose, feathered, voluminous, and messy.
21. Cartoon Princess Long Curls
These big, graphic curls require an expert touch and some hair rollers – they really cannot be achieved with a hair curler. These luxurious curls all face in the same direction, for a slightly off kilter effect that fits perfectly with the princessy shade of rose gold hair.
22. Bombshell Wispy Long Curly Hair
Nothing elevates long curly hairstyles like a lot of shine, and an extreme side part. The volume that the side part adds to this style is the very definition of sex appeal. These kinds of long curly hairstyles can be achieved with a larger curling iron, but very small strands of hair per each curl.
23. Playful Long Curls
This is a take on long hairstyles for curly hair where there are a few shorter layers framing the cheekbones, while everywhere else the hair is uniformly long. These wispy strands, along with lovely blonde highlights, create a playful style.
24. Fresh Morning Long Curly Hair
These larger coiled curls are sexy and warm. This is a great darker take on long curly hairstyles, with just a hint of blonde balayage over dark brown curls. Achieve this look by curling the hair vertically, on a larger curling iron.
25. Golden Balayage Long Curly Hair
Offsetting the last picture, this is one of the sleeker curly hairstyles for long hair. The curling starts at the shoulders, and the rest of the golden balayaged hair looks soft and luxurious. A bit of a tousle after curling, and you are good to go!
26. Espresso and Caramel Lux Waves
This delicious and warm balayage is paired with clean, loose curls and the effect is unparalleled dimension, texture, comfort, and beauty. These are easy to achieve curls done with in larger chunks, with a larger curling iron.
27. High Shine Sombre Long Curly Hair
Nothing is sexier than shiny, healthy hair, in nice thick and loose curls. The addition of sombre highlights to dark long curly hairstyles is always an excellent idea. What is extra fun about these waves is that they start quite high, creating volume all the way through.
28. Party Spiral Long Curls
This is a take on long curly hairstyles that is best for holiday parties. The lush, thick curls paired with this warm bronze hair color are the very height of glamour.
29. Wedding-Ready Long Curly Hair
Long curly hairstyles make fantastic bridal ‘dos, and this look is a vivid example of the statement. The loose half updo with lush long curls is beautifully accentuated with a lovely hair accessory and some strands pulled out to frame the face.
30. Boho Long Curly Hair
Embrace everything that is summery and boho-chic about long curly hairstyles, by pulling a few strands near the temple back into a loose, semi pulled back style, and pairing it with bright locks and lots of loose curls.
31. Winter Wonderland Long Curly Hair
Soft ash blonde and golden curls here convey winter magic and wonder. This gorgeous semi-updo shows how, by playing with thicker curls, and allowing them to really blend together, long curly hairstyles can gain a life of their own. Little flowers interspersed here and there throughout the ‘do add extra wistful beauty.
32. Crown Dutch Braid with Loose Curls
This is an example of how to create curly hairstyles for long hair that are perfect for any occasion, including weddings, proms, or festive parties. The delicate Dutch braid, with just a few blingy hair pins is complemented beautifully by the loose curls cascading from it.
33. Braids and Curls Half Updo
Dutch braids, paired with long curly hairstyles are an instant sign of girlish innocence, especially in this lovely take where the Dutch braid snakes into a lovely, flowery semi-updo with loose curls at the ends of the hair.
34. 4-Strand Crown Braid
This is another example of a crown braid elevating long curly hairstyles. The 4-strand braid is a nice change of pace, and the clean golden brown curls are simply darling, especially when paired with that cute pink bow.
35. Curly Ponytail with Twists
This is one of those long curly hairstyles that are just perfect for spring and summer, or for daytime events. The hair twists that are then pulled into a curly ponytail already create an airy style, but sticking a flower in the center makes it all the more fresh and spring timey.
36. Braided Side Flower with Balayage
Long curly hairstyles are soft and romantic, so they blend perfectly with all kinds of braids. This side flower braid is so cool, especially considering how the blonde and brown balayage gradient shows up in it.
37. 5-Strand Waterfall Braid with Long Curls
A gold and caramel balayage paired with beautiful long curly hairstyles is a perfect look for any season or event. The way the loose curls fall from the 5-strand crown braid is like a beautiful golden waterfall.
38. 4-Strand Angle Braid
This is one of those long curly hairstyles that stand out as simultaneously unique yet classy. The angled lace 4-strand braid looks oh so lush, especially with a thread of platinum gold strands running through it. The loose curls are a perfect touch of romance in this style.
39. Pull Through Fairy Braid
A great way to class up naturally curly hair is with curly long braided hairstyles. Only part of the hair is pulled back in two lovely braids that accentuate the two-tone hair, and a few flowers dotted through the braids give it all a touch of fairy magic.
40. Half-Up Bow Bun with Long Curls
Curly hairstyles for long hair, like this one, are positively darling. A small bow bun and loose curled ends create a charming look that reminds me of Wendy from Peter Pan.
41. Golden Sombre with Uniform Curled Ends
This is another example of long curly hairstyles where the curls were all done in the same direction, creating a controlled and lovely effect.
42. Soft Big Curls with Side Part
This is an example of softer, large curly hairstyles for long hair. The curls are a little brushed out, and with that extreme side part this hairstyle could work at a party or in the bedroom.
43. A Basket of Flowers Crown Braid
In this lovely semi-updo take on long curly hairstyles, large chunks of hair were pulled back from the temples in a thick braid. The curls themselves are springy and fresh, thanks to the use of a smaller curling iron, and when paired with the flowers, the overall effect is spring freshness and beauty (despite the snow in the picture!).
44. Twisted Semi Updo with Bottleneck Curls
Everything about this holiday take on curly long hairstyles is just Christmas day perfection. The bottleneck curls, paired with that red bow are adorable, while the chocolate colored hair seems lush and soft. To make this whole look just a little fancier, a few strands were pulled back into a twisted semi-ponytail that is so easy yet so impactful.
45. Dynamic Espresso and Brass Curls
These clean long curls add a ton of volume and texture to this hairstyle, yet still manage to retain their sleekness. The lovely dark brown hair is complemented with a few streaks of brass that add even more dimension.
46. Anime Magenta Long Curls
Long curly hairstyles do a magnificent job of softening unusual hair colors, and helping them seem less unorthodox. These lovely curls certainly achieve that, giving the overall look the effect of an anime character.
47. Moonlight Long Curls with Half Braid
The pair of soft and luxurious curly hairstyles for long hair with a balayage that is heavy on the golden blonde is always perfect. The addition of a messy semi-braid helps give this look a bit of an edge, while the crescent moon hairpin adds a touch of sophistication.
48. Chocolate Caramel Princess Curls
Is there anything more royal than massively long hairstyles for curly hair? This is a true Disney princess hairstyle, thanks to lush hair full of dimension, rich color, curls larger than life, and a delicate yet blingy floral hairpiece that sits in the center of the lovely crown braid.
49. Bottle Curls with a Crown Braid
I feel like with a lot of these long curly hairstyles there is a mature take, and a younger, more innocent take. Large curls with a crown braid can be debutante perfect, but the second you style the hair into bottleneck curls the same look becomes adorable and girlish. The bejeweled hairpiece added here is flower girl perfection.
50. Evening Fatale Long Curly Hair
We’ve already accepted that there is something extra special about long curly hairstyles where the curls were all done in the same direction. The moment you add an extreme side part, the effect is totally retro and just a little dangerous, even if the curls are as luscious and large as they are here.
51. Crown Braid and Large Curls
This semi updo is a phenomenal way of playing with texture in curly hairstyles for long hair. The crown Dutch braid separates a fairly smooth, pulled back top, and a magnificent mane of lush and curly locks that are just a little bit messy. This hairstyle shows that a beautiful, upscale hairstyle does not have to be too sleek or clean.
Which of these long curly hairstyles is your favorite? Did you rock curly hair for any special occasions recently? Comment and share with us!
Photos via Instagram