Rose gold hair is the trend that flatters every skin tone and face, making it a great choice for everyone. The rose gold hair color is distinctive; it isn’t strawberry blonde hair, light red or pink. Rose gold hair colors are rich and warm with a glowing effect that seems to highlight skin as well.
The rose gold hair color trend is full of nuance in every shade and shimmer for the looks that range from ombre to purely rose gold, root to tip. The color is soft, but bold and impossible to miss. The cleverer the stylist is, the cooler the color looks on the hair.
The rose gold hair color is a metallic pinky shade with a hint of coppery red and a warm glowing touch of blonde that makes it appear more natural than a pink hair tone. Making it your own is easy to do and amazing to wear. The easiest way to achieve rose gold hair is with blonde hair, but for the most talented stylists, the blonde is not a requirement.
In this article, you’ll learn how to get rose gold hair at home and at the salon, how to pick the right shade for you, how to maintain your rose gold hair, as well as tons of inspiring pictures of rose gold hairstyles that will help you find your perfect look!
Rose Gold Hair Colors: Contents
- How to Choose the Perfect Rose Gold Hair Color
- How to Get Rose Gold Hair
- How to Maintain Rose Gold Hair Color
- Makeup Tips for Women with Rose Gold Hair
- Fashion Tips for Women with Rose Gold Hair
- 52 Rose Gold Hair Color Ideas
There are several ways to incorporate the rose gold trend in your hair. It is really up to you, what you like and how you prefer to wear your hair. Rose gold hair color does require some upkeep and care, so it is important to make certain to incorporate the color in a way that you can maintain.
First you are going to want to decide which shade on the rose gold hair color spectrum appeals to you most. Although rose gold hair colors best flatter women with yellow-based warm skin tones and darker eye colors, it’s actually a universally flattering hair shade, and a skilled hairstylist will be able to adjust it according to your skin tone.
While the cooler shades of rose gold hair will be the best options for those with warm skin tones, women with cooler skin tones should give their preference to warmer rose gold hair colors. And if you have a neutral skin tone, you are free to experiment with practically any rose gold hair shade you like!
Rose gold hair shades range from subtle to POW and can incorporate shades of peach hair to shades of lavender hair. Here are some options for rose gold hair you can choose from based off of your skin tone:
• Warm shades of rose gold hair include those that have a good amount of red tonality to them. They will likely have peach shades and gold interspersed throughout for a good blend.
• In some lights the subtler variations of rose gold hair color can come off slightly like a strawberry blonde with obvious interspersions of gold.
• The deeper ends of the warm rose gold hair color spectrum have very obvious blends of brighter reds and auburns mixed in with pastels and touches of gold. Brunette rose gold hair is one of the common darker rose gold hair shades you can go for, as it looks close to a natural hair color yet with a wow effect.
• The cooler toned rose gold hair color shades will have lavender or in some cases violet throughout for another take on the incredible trend.
• The trend is also being worn in combination with the incredible balayage and ombre trends, which add another type of dimension to the way the color is worn. The ombre look can be achieved beautifully with a balayage treatment, so if you are even remotely interested in either, contact your hairdresser and get yours done.
You can get rose gold hair at home, it’s possible! BUT, if you do not have experience with color or really want the best of the best results, go to a professional. Let’s cover the universal steps of dyeing your hair a rose gold color first.
• Decide if you are going to DIY or go Pro. If you are going to go with a stylist, do your research and set up a consultation. If you have never bleached or dyed your hair before, or have done so with less than favorable results, see a stylist.
• Do a test run if you are unsure. You can test out rose gold hair with hair shadow, which you rub on your hair and set with hairspray. Wear it around, take a few selfies and wash it out!
If you are blonde or a lighter toned brunette, try a temporary rose gold hair color option. Otherwise buy a wig!
• Once you have decided on a shade, make your appointment or buy your DIY rose gold supplies.
Getting Rose Gold Hair at a Salon
If you decide to go to a salon, especially if your hair is darker, rose gold hair is achieved through very similar steps.
• Blonde to rose gold hair usually does not require much lightening, though some may be added for dimension. The color, tone and gloss combinations will be applied by the stylist in succession to create your shade of rose gold hair.
• Red hair to rose gold hair color will typically require a bit of lightening and the addition of pinks, peaches and metallic gold depending on the depth of color you want your shade to have. With red hair, a warmer shade of rose gold would mean less damage to the hair, as a component of the color will already inherently be in the hair.
• Brunette to rose gold hair will require bleaching and dyeing the hair. The darker your natural or starting color is, the more lightening treatments you may have to have. Depending on the process your stylist uses and for the health of your hair this can take several visits before you have the final result that you really want.
This does not mean you’ll be walking around with your hair half done; your stylist will keep it cute! Once your hair has been lifted to the correct color, it’ll be time for the actual application of the colors to create your rose gold hair shade, and you’re good to go!
Dyeing Your Hair Rose Gold at Home
If you decide to go the DIY rose gold hair dyeing route, you are going to want to be careful. Make certain you have all of your tools first – color, bleach, gloves and application brushes (if you use them), a few old towels, a timer and an open space of time. Make certain to follow the instructions with a timer to get the results that you want.
• Step 1: Prep your hair with a protein treatment for hair, and deep conditioning treatment. Bleaching damages your hair, so make it as healthy and strong as possible beforehand.
• Step 2: Apply a good bleaching option with a rich formula that will nourish as much as a bleach can, like L’Oreal Paris Colorista Bleach.
• Step 3: Once you have finished bleaching your hair, apply your rose gold hair color. If you want a beautiful color in one shot, really pay attention to the options you choose. Options like Schwarzkopf Igora Royal Pearlescence Pastel Permanent Hair Color will give a beautiful cool toned rose gold color to hair.
A good option for warmer toned rose gold is a peach or apricot tinted option, like the L’Oreal Colorista Semi Permanent Color in Peach.
If you are looking to layer in your colors for either an ombre or balayage effect, there are millions of videos on Youtube that will teach you the technique, even if they are using different colors.
Don’t be afraid to choose a color that does not say ‘rose gold’, as very few hair color options will actually say this. Look for the right shades in pastels and metallic for your final option. Rose gold is a significant color – be brave!
• Step 4: Condition your hair again coloring it to keep the texture as soft as the amazing color. Use a color protecting conditioner and treat your hair carefully.
For those who are already blonde or a version of blonde, the rose gold hair color is achieved through depositing the right colors onto the hair. Keeping the hair moisturized and using a shampoo and conditioner that won’t strip the color out of the hair is one of the most important steps in maintaining the rose gold hair color.
For those with darker hair who had to go through the process of bleaching first, the maintenance will be a bit more involved. The primary concern is the health of your hair, followed closely by your color possibly fading.
Bleached hair tends to be drier and if done on curly hair, bleaching can actually cause a change in the curl pattern of the strands.
• Lighten up on the heat styling. You can dim the color and damage your hair further. Consider using your blow-drying on a lower setting to straighten your hair rather than a flat iron, and always use a heat protectant spray. Try setting your hair overnight rather than using your curling iron and use a heat protectant when you can.
• Use a diffuser when blow-drying your hair. Honestly everyone should use one anyway!
• Shampoo less often!
• When you do shampoo, use one that is designed for color treated hair and is sulfate free.
• Don’t skip the conditioner! This is really important for bleached hair, do not use an all in one, use a separate conditioner that you know works well for your hair. Let it sit the full amount of time and if you have natural hair, detangle while conditioning, this is the best time to do so.
• Do the final rinse on your hair with cool to cold water to seal the cuticles.
• Protect your hair ends! They are the oldest part of your hair, so condition them first. When you put your hair up, consider a bun or a top knot so that the ends are protected from rubbing on fabric and other elements and just being exposed in general.
To avoid color fading, you can use shampoos and conditioners designed to maintain red toned hair. Just choose carefully based on the undertones of your hair.
Cooler or warmer tones will require different deposits. A balayage or ombre treatment will grow out beautifully and could require less maintenance, but keep up with you stylist appointments to keep your rose gold hair color shining bright.
• Try a natural tone eyeshadow look with a serious wing for a low-key look that still brings a lot of glam and drama.
• Use a highlighter everywhere the sun would naturally hit your face. Rose gold hair looks amazing with all skin tones, so don’t forget to highlight your features as well.
• Make your blush a bit rosier and softer than normal. This will balance out your makeup, but complement your hair.
• If you are wearing a cooler toned shade of rose gold hair, consider adding mauves and purples to your eyeshadow and lip game. Just a hint will go a long way but will balance beautifully against your hair.
• Even if you don’t dye your eyebrows, tinting them with the right complementary shade when filling them in is a good option for a cohesive look. Think lighter shades, like taupe or light brown.
• Don’t shy away from painting your lips, use them to balance out your makeup and hair, especially if you have an ombre style, and just be careful of the shade you use. A gloss with a touch of shimmer, a bold lip or even testing out a holographic lipstick can be used to balance out or even boost any nuance in your rose gold hair color that you choose.
Fashion is again, subjective, but the aesthetic you are going for will probably not include garish clashing. In that case it is important to be particular about the shades of red that you choose to wear with rose gold hair.
Certain shades, depending on the tone of your hair can be… aesthetically problematic. You want to choose colors that will look complementary with your rose gold hair – use the same principal that you would for your eyeshadow.
The fun thing is that your hair will look amazing no matter what your particular aesthetic is, so dressed down or dressed up, your hair will still shine. Just a few things to remember:
• A red or orange that is too bright can overpower your rose gold hair. Consider the red in your wardrobe the same way you would a red lipstick. There are innumerable shades and variations – it’s just a matter of wearing the right one. Additionally, try not to go ALL red from top to bottom; it won’t be as flattering. Break up the red to avoid monotony.
• Neutrals and darks will look amazing with your hair, whether you wear your rose gold tresses up or down.
• Patterns and kaleidoscopic shades can be fun to play with as well.
• When it comes to accessories, play around with combinations featuring more than just your jewelry. Try the metallic skin tattoos! You aren’t limited to wearing rose gold just because of your hair! Silver looks great with cooler toned rose gold hair, and certain shades look amazing with copper and gold as well.
• Play around with hair jewels, clips and headbands. Draw attention to your hair, as the rose gold hair color is amazing! Choices from a flower crown to a chain headdress can make tip the scales from trendy to fashionista.
Now that you know all the basics of the rose gold hair, it’s time to browse our collection of rose gold hair ideas, and get inspired to get the look you have in mind.
1. Braided Rose Gold
Most rose gold hairstyles are expected to be soft and unassuming, but that is not often the case. Here the dimensions of the rose gold can be seen throughout the different styles of braids and the loosely curled depths.
2. Dark Rose Gold Hair
Face-framing balayaged highlights add a deeper, cooler shade of rose gold to an overall warmer rose gold hair color. The play on shades is flattering and the highlighting deeper rose makes an appearance throughout the rest of the style, tinting randomly for added depth.
3. Rose and Soft Gold Waves
Hints of magenta, pink and apricot blend for a stunning and softly glowing rose gold hair color. Designing this color treatment was clearly well thought out, leading the eye to appreciate every nuance in the created rose gold shade.
4. Antique Peach Rose Gold Blend
Smoothly spaced and fully at play peaches and pinks work together to boost the rose gold hairstyle. The vivid color combinations are definitely designed to be seen.
5. Illuminated Rose Gold Waves
Warm blonde and rose gold work beautifully well, allowing the colors to fully play up each other. The rose gold hair color here seems rosier in some sections depending on how the light is being caught, creating an overall entrancing look.
6. Rose Gold Bob
Perfectly placed streaks of balayaged rose gold hair shades create a multifaceted look that greatly boosts the beauty of this style. The colors overall create a warm and interesting look that gives the short bob more dimension.
7. Sour Peach Rose Gold Hair
Long hair gives more space for an ombre style to really take hold. The range of shades in this rose gold hairstyle covers every facet of what you could want from a rose gold hair color, from the depths of the roots to the lightness of the strands, with every inch covered in a shade of rose gold.
8. Cool Toned Rose Gold Hair
This luminous color with depths of medium toned lilac and rose gold creates beautiful red and violet rose gold lengths. The transition from roots to tips is awe-inspiring and incandescent.
9. Illuminated Rose Gold
Rose gold hair with an additional depth of rosy color on top, almost like the style was seen through rose-colored lenses, is nothing short of lovely. The color lightens up perfectly on the ends to give an extra touch of dimension to her hair.
10. Rose and White Gold
Soft pastel pinks on brightly lit, nearly white gold hair create a soft pink dream color. The variation of rose gold that leads to the pinker end of the spectrum is still rose gold, just an unexpectedly vivid yet soft shade.
11. Ultraviolet and Rose Gold Top Knot
Half updos are a great way to show off the full range of color in a treatment, especially when the shades are as intricate and stylish as rose gold hair. Pink diamond was overlaid on the hair for that final touch of perfection.
12. Metallic Rose Gold on Brown
This color is completely amazing with a luminous glow that is utterly breathtaking. The combination of colors is unexpected and vibrant against the depths of the chocolate brown, while the polished metallic sheen of the rose gold hair plays through, especially on the ends.
13. Rose Gold and Copper Hues
Copper and rose gold can work beautifully well together, balayaged in with colors for pulp riot for a burnished yet beaming appearance designed to dazzle from every angle. The colors are rich but still blend beautifully well.
14. Black to Shades of Rose Gold Hair
Rose gold hair of all shades will look amazing against dark hair, especially when the time is taken to customize. The auroral tips look even glossier against the light absorbing yet lustrous dark roots for a beautiful contrast.
15. Baby Rose Gold Hair
Soft and light with hints of subtle lilac brighten up the darker blonde and light brown roots. The color is light, subtle and looks amazingly soft as well. The lightest waves through the long lengths of rose gold hair are flattering and interestingly play up the color.
16. Beachy Rose Gold Lengths
Longer hair is the perfect canvas for a multifaceted hair color as shown here with the deep rose roots flowing to lighter light-reflecting waves of soft rose gold at the ends. The auburn tones beneath the rose gold at the roots will grow out beautifully extending the life of the style.
17. Warm Apricot and Rose Gold Shine
Ombre and balayage treatments create magic color combinations on hair. The combination here in apricot tones and rose gold is glossy and fully aglow for a flattering and impressive shade.
18. Vivid Rose Gold Babylights
Smoothly placed rose gold babylights throughout a soft brown tinted with a lighter rose gold hair color shows off throughout the long lengths of her hair. The smooth placement of the colors is complementary enough to blend well while still standing subtly on their own.
19. Rosy Pink on White Gold
Another play on the rose gold hair trend is playing with warm rose gold and pink with rose tinted over a shade that is much more reminiscent of white gold. The final effect is interesting and iridescent.
20. Shiny, Cool Rose Gold Hair
This color treatment is nothing short of prismatic. The colors seem to glow at the end of her hair, perfectly reflecting the light and highlighting her crown. The gold is very evident, even with the interspersion of light pastel pinks throughout.
21. Dark Rose Gold Highlights
Highlights in the front and spaced sparingly throughout make a big impact in this rose gold balayage hair treatment. The color is eye-catching and bright especially against the lengths of rich brown.
22. Hand Painted Rose Gold Hair
A light touch and Wella Instamatic Pink make a great subtle rose gold hair color that begs for a closer look to really appreciate. The soft addition of the color adds a bit of depth and character to the brown and blonde.
23. All Over Rose Gold
A beautifully custom treatment in cool and warm colors creates a kaleidoscopic effect in rose gold. The warmth is not overpowered by the cool metallic painted throughout thanks mostly to the careful placement achieved with the balayage treatment.
24. Warm Rose Gold and Cool Pearl
The undertones of the hair feature a pearlescent inclusion of pinks and pastels with just the right amount of white gold, topped by warm, more red-tinged rose gold. The waves show off the difference as well as the expert blend of the two tones and color creations.
25. Red-Toned, Copper and Rose Gold Hair
Red adds a bit of heat to the normally subtle aesthetic of rose gold hair. The blend of colors is wonderfully vibrant without being gaudy. The flow of color from root to tip still looks very natural, even for an unnatural color.
26. Unicorn Tinted Rose Gold Hair
The magical combination of any set of colors automatically earns the unicorn title, but here the rose gold ombre is spectacularly implemented from cool yet dark roots. The look is uncommon and beautiful.
27. Hello Rose Gold
The combination between her shadow, lipstick and richly colored rose gold hair is exceptional. The colors are close enough to play together with a hint of shiny metallic throughout her hair and her makeup.
28. Pinky Rose Gold
Smooth waves of warm copper and rose gold hair make an interesting combination with a heavy, lengthy front bang. The extra touch of pastel rose gold framing her face was a great touch to the color scheme.
29. Melted Rose Gold Hair
Sweet and romantically placed throughout the hair, the rose gold has a distinctive strawberry-touched hue. The hair bow completes the curly half-up half-down style showing off every facet of the vivid colors.
30. Ultra Shiny Rose Gold Hair
Ombre hair is amazing all the time, and here the dark roots complement the brightness of the shiny rose gold through the depth of the contrast. Smooth color transitions are the name of the game here, but the difference is still impossible to miss. The blending is amazing, the color is amazing, and the style is amazing.
31. Autumns Reds and Rose Gold
Red and pink are a necessity with the completion of a red gold look that is warm, but this combination is much more interesting. The red does not overpower the rose gold, but gives it a deep and distinctive appearance over a very light but significant rose gold color.
32. Orange and Rose Gold
The right shades are all it takes, and the pinks and oranges of this look are a great example of the two colors working well together. A darker root and range of colors provide the necessary distinction to the rose gold for each nuance of the hair color to stand out.
33. Unmistakable Rose Gold Bob
A perfect example of a bold lip and the right shade of red working with the right shades of rose gold hair! Orange eyeshadow and orange, copper and red bangs work beautifully well with the rose gold curls of the bob as well.
34. Sunrise Waves
Every color in the sunrise is beautifully represented through multiple tones of rose gold at once. Warm and cool shades, with mauves and oranges interspersed between, create the kind of look that people dream of all day.
35. Dream in Pink
Rose gold hair color variations will include a pink hue nearly every time. Here it is the ends of the strands that show off the most prominent shades of rose gold, but the balayage treatment shows how excellently rose gold can be mixed in with brown.
36. Pink-Toned Rose Gold Highlights
Unmistakable pink pastel streaks over brown work down in the hair to create another variation of rose gold hair. A bit on the rosier side of the spectrum, it is definitely a unique combination that looks subtle on long hair.
37. Rose Gold on Dark Blonde
Long hair can look boring when it lacks dimension, but that is clearly not a problem here. The hints of lavender, apricot, peach and pink throughout her dark blonde hair blend together beautifully to create a dreamy rose gold look over her blonde hair.
38. Magenta-Toned Rose Gold Hair
The magenta overtones energize the rose gold hair shade throughout. The consistency of the rose gold throughout the hairstyle is amazing, another great option on the spectrum of colors.
39. Warmed Brown and Rose Gold Hair
Though erring more on the edge of pink than purely rose gold, this manifestation of the color is no less impressive. The balayaged additions reach from the roots to the tips adding an interesting feature to the overall look.
40. Violet and Rose Gold Hair
The addition of a good purple shade can really amplify a rose gold hair treatment. Here the color is not too bright, but definitely maintains a distinction that is beautiful against the brown.
41. Gold with Hints of Lilacs and Rose
The color combinations here create a shining dimensional look that is clear throughout the bulk of the hair without weighing it down in the middle. The shades land right between lilac and rose gold, and look overall amazing.
42. Warm Rosy Gold
Copper and rose gold work beautifully well together to liven up her long hair. Barrel curls show off the range of colors in her hair, and the ombre style is a beautiful complement both to the length and the cohesiveness of the colors.
43. Rose Gold Over Deep Brown
The deep brown and black color paired beneath the layers of warm rose gold hair work together to beautifully complement her skin. The color is prismatic without being too obvious. Both her hair and skin seem to emanate warm soft light and be the ideal tone of rose gold, even matching with the shade of blush she chose.
44. Rose Gold and Mauve Balayage
A balayage treatment can always tip towards unicorn or mermaid hair very easily, and this is beautifully done here with the rose gold and lilac hair tones from root to tip. The color combination is both warm and cool without clashing, creating a soft multidimensional look that shimmers from every angle.
45. Rose Gold and Soft Brown Lob
Brunette hair with rose gold balayage throughout makes for a romantic and soft look. The trendy ‘lob’ paired with the softness of the two colors is brilliantly put together with a touch of peach streaked in the ends.
46. Balayaged Peach and Pastel Rose Gold Hair
Rose gold hair made of a combination of pastel pink and shades of apricot is vibrant and reflective in barrel curls. The look is smooth in transition thanks to the balayage technique that was masterfully applied.
47. Subtle Rose Gold Hair Color
Rose gold can be deep and rich or, in this case, light and subtle. The softness of the color is noticeable, though barely there. The distinction is there but not in an over the top way, blending smoothly from the dark roots to the tint at the ends.
48. Metallic Sheen Rose Gold Hair
The shine of the rose gold lengths looks especially bright against her dark roots. Hints of peach and apricot shades blend well with the signature pinkish tones to create rose gold. The pastels brighten up the overall look against the shimmering gold color hair color.
49. Rose Gold to Champagne
Warm rose gold roots blend down seamlessly into rose tinted champagne ends. The color transitions so smoothly that it is almost imperceptible until the color is wholly different. Hints of soft rose gold are stronger in some places than other, adding dimension to the lengths.
50. Warm to Cool Rosé Ombre
Rose gold roots that lighten up to an icier shade of rose at the ends make another interesting ombre version of the spectrum of rose gold hair color options. The loose curls in the lengths of the hair show off the difference in the tones.
51. Soft Rosy Gold
The long lengths have just the slightest hint of rosy apricot to them for a light and soft look with a warm glow. The shade is very pretty, and just enough pastel to make it really interesting.
52. Warm Rose Gold Coils
With a warm auburn-hued rose gold hair color this well done, the natural lights in darker skin pop beautifully, even without highlight. The curls catch light in this incredible color from every angle. The minimalist makeup is a beautiful touch.
Photos via Instagram