Rose gold hair is the trend that flatters every skin tone and face, making it a great choice for everyone. The rose gold hair color is distinctive; it isn’t strawberry blonde hair, light red or pink. Rose gold hair colors are rich and warm with a glowing effect that seems to highlight skin as well.
In this article, you’ll learn how to get rose gold hair at home and at the salon, how to pick the right shade for you, how to maintain your rose gold hair, and some makeup and style tips to match your new look!
In this article:
- How to Choose the Perfect Rose Gold Hair Color
- How to Get Rose Gold Hair
- How to Maintain Rose Gold Hair Color
- Makeup Tips for Women with Rose Gold Hair
- Fashion Tips for Women with Rose Gold Hair
How to Choose the Perfect Rose Gold Hair Color
There are several ways to incorporate the rose gold trend in your hair. It is really up to you, what you like and how you prefer to wear your hair. Rose gold hair color does require some upkeep and care, so it is important to make certain to incorporate the color in a way that you can maintain.
First you are going to want to decide which shade on the rose gold hair color spectrum appeals to you most. Although rose gold hair colors best flatter women with yellow-based warm skin tones and darker eye colors, it’s actually a universally flattering hair shade, and a skilled hairstylist will be able to adjust it according to your skin tone.
While the cooler shades of rose gold hair will be the best options for those with warm skin tones, women with cooler skin tones should give their preference to warmer rose gold hair colors. And if you have a neutral skin tone, you are free to experiment with practically any rose gold hair shade you like!
Rose gold hair shades range from subtle to POW and can incorporate shades of peach hair to shades of lavender hair. Here are some options for rose gold hair you can choose from based off of your skin tone:
- Warm shades of rose gold hair include those that have a good amount of red tonality to them. They will likely have peach shades and gold interspersed throughout for a good blend.
- In some lights the subtler variations of rose gold hair color can come off slightly like a strawberry blonde with obvious interspersions of gold.
- The deeper ends of the warm rose gold hair color spectrum have very obvious blends of brighter reds and auburns mixed in with pastels and touches of gold. Brunette rose gold hair is one of the common darker rose gold hair shades you can go for, as it looks close to a natural hair color yet with a wow effect.
- The cooler toned rose gold hair color shades will have lavender or in some cases violet throughout for another take on the incredible trend.
- The trend is also being worn in combination with the incredible balayage and ombre trends, which add another type of dimension to the way the color is worn. The ombre look can be achieved beautifully with a balayage treatment, so if you are even remotely interested in either, contact your hairdresser and get yours done.
How to Get Rose Gold Hair
You can get rose gold hair at home, it’s possible! BUT, if you do not have experience with color or really want the best of the best results, go to a professional. Let’s cover the universal steps of dyeing your hair a rose gold color first.
- Decide if you are going to DIY or go Pro. If you are going to go with a stylist, do your research and set up a consultation. If you have never bleached or dyed your hair before, or have done so with less than favorable results, see a stylist.
- Do a test run if you are unsure. You can test out rose gold hair with hair shadow, which you rub on your hair and set with hairspray. Wear it around, take a few selfies and wash it out!
- If you are blonde or a lighter toned brunette, try a temporary rose gold hair color option. Otherwise buy a wig!
- Once you have decided on a shade, make your appointment or buy your DIY rose gold supplies.
Getting Rose Gold Hair at a Salon
If you decide to go to a salon, especially if your hair is darker, rose gold hair is achieved through very similar steps.
- Blonde to rose gold hair usually does not require much lightening, though some may be added for dimension. The color, tone and gloss combinations will be applied by the stylist in succession to create your shade of rose gold hair.
- Red hair to rose gold hair color will typically require a bit of lightening and the addition of pinks, peaches and metallic gold depending on the depth of color you want your shade to have. With red hair, a warmer shade of rose gold would mean less damage to the hair, as a component of the color will already inherently be in the hair.
- Brunette to rose gold hair will require bleaching and dyeing the hair. The darker your natural or starting color is, the more lightening treatments you may have to have. Depending on the process your stylist uses and for the health of your hair this can take several visits before you have the final result that you really want.
This does not mean you’ll be walking around with your hair half done; your stylist will keep it cute! Once your hair has been lifted to the correct color, it’ll be time for the actual application of the colors to create your rose gold hair shade, and you’re good to go!
Dyeing Your Hair Rose Gold at Home
If you decide to go the DIY rose gold hair dyeing route, you are going to want to be careful. Make certain you have all of your tools first – color, bleach, gloves and application brushes (if you use them), a few old towels, a timer and an open space of time. Make certain to follow the instructions with a timer to get the results that you want.
- Step 1: Prep your hair with a protein treatment for hair, and deep conditioning treatment. Bleaching damages your hair, so make it as healthy and strong as possible beforehand.
- Step 2: Apply a good bleaching option with a rich formula that will nourish as much as a bleach can, like L’Oreal Paris Colorista Bleach.
- Step 3: Once you have finished bleaching your hair, apply your rose gold hair color. If you want a beautiful color in one shot, really pay attention to the options you choose. Options like Schwarzkopf Igora Royal Pearlescence Pastel Permanent Hair Color will give a beautiful cool toned rose gold color to hair.
- A good option for warmer toned rose gold is a peach or apricot tinted option, like the L’Oreal Colorista Semi Permanent Color in Peach.
- If you are looking to layer in your colors for either an ombre or balayage effect, there are millions of videos on Youtube that will teach you the technique, even if they are using different colors.
- Don’t be afraid to choose a color that does not say ‘rose gold’, as very few hair color options will actually say this. Look for the right shades in pastels and metallic for your final option. Rose gold is a significant color – be brave!
- Step 4: Condition your hair again coloring it to keep the texture as soft as the amazing color. Use a color protecting conditioner and treat your hair carefully.
How to Maintain Rose Gold Hair Color
For those who are already blonde or a version of blonde, the rose gold hair color is achieved through depositing the right colors onto the hair. Keeping the hair moisturized and using a shampoo and conditioner that won’t strip the color out of the hair is one of the most important steps in maintaining the rose gold hair color.
For those with darker hair who had to go through the process of bleaching first, the maintenance will be a bit more involved. The primary concern is the health of your hair, followed closely by your color possibly fading.
Bleached hair tends to be drier and if done on curly hair, bleaching can actually cause a change in the curl pattern of the strands.
- Lighten up on the heat styling. You can dim the color and damage your hair further. Consider using your blow-drying on a lower setting to straighten your hair rather than a flat iron, and always use a heat protectant spray. Try setting your hair overnight rather than using your curling iron and use a heat protectant when you can.
- Use a diffuser when blow-drying your hair. Honestly everyone should use one anyway!
- Shampoo less often!
- When you do shampoo, use one that is designed for color treated hair and is sulfate free.
- Don’t skip the conditioner! This is really important for bleached hair, do not use an all in one, use a separate conditioner that you know works well for your hair. Let it sit the full amount of time and if you have natural hair, detangle while conditioning, this is the best time to do so.
- Do the final rinse on your hair with cool to cold water to seal the cuticles.
- Protect your hair ends! They are the oldest part of your hair, so condition them first. When you put your hair up, consider a bun or a top knot so that the ends are protected from rubbing on fabric and other elements and just being exposed in general.
- To avoid color fading, you can use shampoos and conditioners designed to maintain red toned hair. Just choose carefully based on the undertones of your hair.
- Cooler or warmer tones will require different deposits. A balayage or ombre treatment will grow out beautifully and could require less maintenance, but keep up with you stylist appointments to keep your rose gold hair color shining bright.
Makeup Tips for Women with Rose Gold Hair
Makeup and style in general can be subjective, but when wearing a bold yet subtle color like rose gold in your hair, consider playing up the effects the color will have on your skin.
- Try a natural tone eyeshadow look with a serious wing for a low-key look that still brings a lot of glam and drama.
- Use a highlighter everywhere the sun would naturally hit your face. Rose gold hair looks amazing with all skin tones, so don’t forget to highlight your features as well.
- Make your blush a bit rosier and softer than normal. This will balance out your makeup, but complement your hair.
- If you are wearing a cooler toned shade of rose gold hair, consider adding mauves and purples to your eyeshadow and lip game. Just a hint will go a long way but will balance beautifully against your hair.
- Even if you don’t dye your eyebrows, tinting them with the right complementary shade when filling them in is a good option for a cohesive look. Think lighter shades, like taupe or light brown.
- Don’t shy away from painting your lips, use them to balance out your makeup and hair, especially if you have an ombre style, and just be careful of the shade you use. A gloss with a touch of shimmer, a bold lip or even testing out a holographic lipstick can be used to balance out or even boost any nuance in your rose gold hair color that you choose.
Fashion Tips for Women with Rose Gold Hair
Fashion is again, subjective, but the aesthetic you are going for will probably not include garish clashing. In that case it is important to be particular about the shades of red that you choose to wear with rose gold hair.
Certain shades, depending on the tone of your hair can be… aesthetically problematic. You want to choose colors that will look complementary with your rose gold hair – use the same principal that you would for your eyeshadow.
The fun thing is that your hair will look amazing no matter what your particular aesthetic is, so dressed down or dressed up, your hair will still shine. Just a few things to remember:
- A red or orange that is too bright can overpower your rose gold hair. Consider the red in your wardrobe the same way you would a red lipstick. There are innumerable shades and variations – it’s just a matter of wearing the right one. Additionally, try not to go ALL red from top to bottom; it won’t be as flattering. Break up the red to avoid monotony.
- Neutrals and darks will look amazing with your hair, whether you wear your rose gold tresses up or down.
- Patterns and kaleidoscopic shades can be fun to play with as well.
- When it comes to accessories, play around with combinations featuring more than just your jewelry. Try the metallic skin tattoos! You aren’t limited to wearing rose gold just because of your hair! Silver looks great with cooler toned rose gold hair, and certain shades look amazing with copper and gold as well.
- Play around with hair jewels, clips and headbands. Draw attention to your hair, as the rose gold hair color is amazing! Choices from a flower crown to a chain headdress can make tip the scales from trendy to fashionista.
Photos via @michellechristyn, Instagram