Wine and burgundy lipsticks are one of the easiest beauty trends of all time to embrace. Wine lipstick shades look great on a variety of skin tones and undertones. Burgundy and richer, darker berry reds typically have limited undertones inherent to the colors that complement many skin tones wonderfully. We bring the best shades of burgundy lipsticks available right now to help you channel wine lips with grace.
In this article:
17 Best Burgundy Lipsticks to Buy Now
Whether you are getting ready for a special occasion or just want to make a statement on a casual day out with your friends, here we present 17 of the best burgundy lipstick colors to get now and channel the vampy dark lip trend!
1. Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick in Vampira
Kat Von D’s Everlasting liquid lipstick really will stay on until you decide to take it off. Vampira is an ultra-creamy, color-rich shade of red-toned burgundy, one of the best burgundy lipsticks out there. The formula has a soft, matte finish and a nourishing feel thanks to Vitamin E and sunflower oil included in the formula. You can buy yours at Sephora.
2. MAC Lipstick in Spice It Up
MAC’s Spice It Up burgundy lip color is designed to define, shade and showcase the lips beautifully. This MAC lipstick color is available in multiple finishes to create the exact look that you want. Get yours on Nordstrom.
3. Charlotte Tilbury Matte Revolution Lipstick in Walk of Shame
The Charlotte Tilbury matte lipstick is a hydrating matte that holds all day. The coverage is buildable allowing you to create a sheer to rich full coverage look based on your preferences for the day. Try the Walk of Shame color, one of the best burgundy lipsticks of the moment! You can purchase yours at Nordstrom.
4. Too Faced Melted Latex Liquified High Shine Lipstick in Bite Me
Too Faced Cosmetics offers their high shine formula in Bite Me, a deep, pigmented plum-based burgundy lipstick. The color is buildable, rich, smooth and glossy, perfect for an impactful, dramatic look and shine. People love the shine and coverage with a formula that really sticks. You can get one at Sephora.
5. Bobbi Brown Rich Lip Color in Crimson
Bobbi Brown products never disappoint, and the deep merlot shade called Crimson is sure to amaze. The full coverage formula is smooth and easily applied in a single swipe. The patented formula was designed to moisturize and smooth lips with each application. Get yours at Net-a-Porter!
6. Christian Louboutin in Djalouzi
Beautiful color and beautiful packaging combine for an ideal burgundy lipstick that has a dreamy velvet matte finish. This wine lipstick is heavily pigmented and sets with a full coverage, matte finish. The formula is complex with essential moisturizing properties thanks to seed butters and natural oils that keep lips healthy, soft and smooth. Purchase yours at Nordstrom!
7. Anastasia Beverly Hills Liquid Lipstick in Vamp
The very popular long-wear, full coverage matte lipstick in the color Vamp by Anastasia Beverly Hills is a stunner and one of the best burgundy lipsticks to get now. The thoroughly pigmented color is perfect with a single swipe. The long-lasting formula is sure to keep up with you throughout your day. Sephora offers this burgundy lipstick.
8. Surratt Beauty Lip Lustre in Tres Chic 13
When a burgundy lipstick with an alluring shine is your choice, Surratt Beauty’s Lip Lustre has the perfect finish, and Tres Chic 13 is the perfect wine shade. The color is a deep black cherry with buildable coverage that has enduringly long wear. Pick yours up at Net-a-Porter.
9. Urban Decay Vice Liquid Lipstick in Crimson
Waterproof and long-wear thanks to the specialized formula that allows for comfortable application and all-day wear that will not transfer, this is one of the most beautiful burgundy lipsticks on the market. The applicator is extra-long and flocked, featuring a precise tip for precise lining and smooth application. Grab yours at Nordstrom!
10. Lipstick Queen Silver Screen Lipstick in Made It
Lipstick Queen’s sleek, smooth burgundy lipstick in Made It provides maximum coverage with full luxurious burgundy pigment, and vitamins A and E to hydrate. This wine lipstick features a touch of peppermint oil for scent and a soft, hydrating formula. Grab one of your own at Net-a-Porter!
11. Tarte Tarteist Creamy Matte Lip Paint in Frenemy
Tarte is a great brand with beautifully colored lip paints. To get in on the burgundy lipstick trend, the creamy matte lip paint in Frenemy is the way to go. The color is fantastic and rich, creamy, smooth and lasts all day in a lightweight, liquid lipstick formula. Get yours at Sephora!
12. Lipstick Queen Velvet Rope Lipstick in Entourage
Lipstick Queen’s Entourage is a rich, reddish brown burgundy lipstick that is both flattering and dramatic. The incredible formula is enriched with apricot oil and vitamin E, as well as 100% natural pomegranate sterols. The finish is glossy and easy to maintain with a light scent of peppermint. Pick yours up at Net-a-Porter!
13. Tom Ford Lip Color in Near Dark
Tom Ford’s lipsticks are always rich, smooth and soft. The depth of rich burgundy is uplifted with just a bit of luminosity provided by the creamy formula. The combination of ingredients is designed to soothe, smooth and moisturize lips perfectly. You can pick your Near Dark shade of burgundy lipstick up at Nordstrom.
14. NARS Audacious Lipstick in Bette
Bette is the color of rich Bordeaux that is an absolute must for anyone seeking a rich wine lipstick. The formula is designed to hydrate while maintaining its rich color all day. The satin matte finish is smooth and soft, and this burgundy lipstick is fragrance free. Pick yours up at Net-a-Porter!
15. Huda Beauty Liquid Matte Lipstick in Famous
The perfect transfer proof, rich burgundy liquid matte lipstick could arguably be the Huda Beauty liquid matte lipstick in Famous. The formula is infused with hydrating ingredients that include antioxidants, so your richly colored pout wears smooth and even all day. You can get one at Sephora.
16. Marc Jacobs Beauty Nude Sheer Gel Lipstick in May Day 158
Looking for the softest way to wear a wash of rich burgundy on your lips? Marc Jacobs’ lipstick in May Day 158 is the perfect sheer burgundy lipstick for you. The color is rich and buildable but never overpowering. You can purchase one for yourself at Net-a-Porter.
17. Make Beauty Matte Lipstick in Jakarta
Make Beauty’s matte lipstick uses avocado oil, shea butter and aloe to create a creamy, hydrating burgundy lipstick full of deeply pigmented color. Jakarta is a deep wine colored shade that has a velvety soft matte finish. You can purchase yours from Net-a-Porter.
How to Choose the Best Burgundy Lipstick for Your Skin Tone
When choosing your wine or burgundy lipstick remember to consider not only the shade, but also the finish. Fortunately, burgundy is a universally flattering hue that still has a bit of nuance to exploit.
- For a deep, saturated color that still appears approachable enough for work, consider a sheer burgundy lipstick. You get the impact of the color, but it won’t come off extremely vampy.
- Dark berry colors with a red or pink base look good on everyone, and you are more likely to find a shade you are comfortable with quickly.
- Blue and purple-based burgundy lipsticks are the boldest out there. The colors are rich, deep and dramatic.
- Shiny or matte can affect the look. Though neither will detract, it’s a matter of final effect – shiny lips can appear dressier, while matte can appear bolder. If you want a bit of shine without giving up your matte finish, add a bit of sparkle and glitter to the center of the lips for a completely different yet phenomenal look.
Remember to match your burgundy lipstick to your skin tone. Burgundy and wine lipsticks have undertones like every other lipstick. Pink, red, brown, and blue are the typical four undertones that burgundy lipsticks feature, according to which you need to choose one for your skin tone.
To figure out the undertone of the burgundy lipstick you are going to buy, swipe the tester over a white tissue, which will instantly reveal the correct undertone.
- Burgundies with pink undertones look best on fairer skinned people. Additionally, pink-based burgundy lipsticks flatter light-haired and light-eyed beauties, as they make the color of the eyes instantly pop.
- Brown and red undertones of burgundy lipsticks look best on darker, richer skin, and on those with dark eyes and dark hair. Think dark plum, deep red, and blackberry shades
- True burgundy and maroon-based wine lipsticks are the best for medium skin tones, while brown-based ones are to be avoided here.
- Though blue toned burgundy lip colors look best on cooler skin tones, they can work on everyone depending on the depth of the shade and the finish.
Photos via @paisleymattes, Sephora