When it comes to getting the best over-the-knee boots, many women get nervous. Which style should I get? How do I wear them? Do they really fit me? Over-the-knee boots have always been considered the most difficult boot style to wear, basically made for the boldest. As such, in this article, we’ll discuss how to wear over-the-knee boots and list the best out there that will make you look gorgeous.
How to Wear Thigh-High/ Over-the-Knee Boots: Contents
- 9 of the Best Over-the-Knee Boots to Buy in 2021
- The Origin of Thigh-High/ Over-the-Knee Boots
- How to Choose the Right Over-the-Knee Boots According to Your Body Type
- How to Wear Over-the-Knee Boots
To save you time and hassle, here are the best over-the-knee boots available today. Give your appearance an elegant spark by exploring our list of the coolest thigh-high boots on the market.
1. The Perfect Neutral Over-the-Knee Boots
Splendid offers a pair of classy over-the-knee boots made of super-supple suede. A streamlined shape, leather lining and suede upper body translate into a well-designed pair of thigh-high boots. Do you want low heels without losing any glam? Get this pair from Nordstrom!
2. Thigh-High Boots Made for Walking!
On My Theresa, you can find this pair of Gucci thigh-high boots for classy women who love the logo craze. They are made of leather-trimmed jacquard, with alluring logo prints, featuring an iconic slouchy silhouette and adjustable leather ties. This model narrows your leg beautifully.
3. Knit Thigh-High Sock Boots
This is one of the best over-the-knee boots for 2021, as it’ll keep you warm and stylish at the same time. The boot is dramatic, elegant and posh, gathering all the pizzazz without losing any of the comfort. The sole of this pair of Fendi thigh-high boots is extended upwards with red leather, and that speaks volumes in terms of appearance. Pick up a pair from Farfetch!
4. Slouchy Over-the-Knee Boots
Isabel Marant’s over-the-knee boots for 2021 are simply beautiful! Getting these slouchy thigh-high boots means getting the shoe of the season – crafted from fine leather along with sculptural cone heels. It has an almond toe made from khaki-brown calf leather, a buckle detail on top, while the heels are comfortable enough to wear all day long. Rock your Isabel Marants with a mini dress, and you’ll be drop dead gorgeous. You can find this pair on My Theresa.
5. The Blogger-Approved Leather Over-the-Knees
We can’t miss this. The Ganni pair of fierce black leather thigh-high boots means comfort combined with a fashion blogger-approved style. The super dope black silhouette accentuates shape. Charming and classy, the low square heel is super comfortable too. Head over to Net-a-Porter to grab this boot!
6. Classic Flat Over-the-Knee Boots
This is a pair of black suede over-the-knee boots with an adjustable fit. Do you want a boot that fits perfectly well with any pair of pants, an asymmetric skirt or jeans? Stuart Weitzman is the one you are looking for, and it’s available through Net-a-Porter.
7. Most Elegant Over-the-Knee Boots
This pair of rock ‘n’ roll shiny patent leather boots is one of the best thigh-high boots thanks its sleek and beautiful demeanor. Perfect for every elegant outing, be it a casual night out or a cocktail party. Available at Farfetch, these Saint Laurent thigh-high boots feature a pull-on style, which makes them easy to wear, as well as a pointed toe, and a tapered high heel.
8. The Boldest Thigh-High Boots
Talk of an embodiment of beauty! Black suede combined with a leopard-printed translucent shaft has been used in the making of these over-the-knee boots to render them extraordinary. With Gianvito Rossi, you slip into classy and elegant footwear. For a unique and stylish appearance, get them from Forward.
9. Snake-Effect Over-the-Knee Boots
Do you want boots that are affordable as well as beautiful? This is one of the best pairs of over-the-knee, snakeskin effect boots. The boot’s fine leather and high heels will guarantee the appeal you’re looking for. It’s available through Moda Operandi.
Also known as cuissardes, over-the-knee boots are protective boots that extend above the knees. Originating as far back as the 15th century, they were worn for extra protection by male horse riders. So, it was a mere protective boot. The main aim was to offer extra protection during horse riding and other outdoor activities.
They are usually made of various materials such as vinyl, latex, silk, etc.
In 1962, Mancini introduced over-the-knee boots for Balenciaga’s fall collection. Later, in succeeding years, more beautiful styles were introduced and became moderately popular, like Roger Vivier’s creation for Yves Saint Laurent’s couture collection in 1963 that was inspired by his iconic design created for Rudolf Nureyev in the ballet Swan Lake.
In 1971, Jane Fonda used these boots for the film Klute. Around 1977, Karl Lagerfeld was credited for re-introducing the over-the-knee boots into a collection for Chloe. However, the style of wearing over-the-knee boots died down a little around the 1980s, only to come back to life again in 1990, when Lagerfeld used them for Chanel’s couture collection. This time around they were here to stay!
Also, in films – at the time, such boots were worn by escorts (think Pretty Woman!).
Now, you know all that went down before Beyoncé, Madonna, and Miley Cyrus adopted the style while you and I also followed the trend.
Over-the-knee boots can work for and fit anyone if we take certain tips into consideration.
Not all thigh-high boots fit all body figures perfectly. We recommend you read further to know some tips for styling your over-the-knee boots that will fit you, or – more precisely – your body type.
Tips for Tall Women
Over-the-knee boots look unique on tall girls. For tall girls, choosing the right pair of thigh-high boots is an easy decision that comes with swiftness. That can be both a flat and a heeled boot – in any case, you are going to look awesome.
For you to wow your audience, opt for a flashy colored turtleneck and blazer, and then match the color elegantly with your boots, or go for an oversized long knit sweater over a short skirt or tight pants for a galvanizing look.
But, if you don’t want attention to be drawn to your height and your particularly long legs, go for other types of boots, like ankle boots. No matter the trick, over-the-knee boots accentuate your legs and your height.
Tips for Petite Women
Discard every fashion myth you must have heard. Over-the-knee boots fit shorter girls too, they just have to choose wisely. It’s a good idea to always opt for heeled thigh-high boots and avoid flat ones, which will draw attention to your height.
Petite women can look elegant in over-the-knee boots too, as long as they dress proportionately. Choose long skirts that cover the top of the boot slightly. Consider a button-down shirt that suits you, tucked in the skirt.
For the sake of your petite-ness, don’t choose skirts that are long enough to hide your boots. This will make you look even shorter.
If you have a petite stature, it is better to choose over-the-knee boots that are convenient, matching them with a baggy dress or a long oversized sweater – and you’ll be fine. Focus on bright colors and smart contrasts.
You can also choose a sweater and a skirt in similar colors, or a monochrome mini dress and style it with a pair of stylish leather boots.
Tips for Curvy Women
Pencil skirts are your best bet to wear with over-the-knee-boots, for they highlight your curves. So, match your skirt with a shirt, blouse, or sweaters in similar colors. In addition, you might want to balance it with a jacket.
Finally, the over-the-knee boots are best to be of opposing colors. For example, choose black boots to match an all-white attire.
Tips for Athletic Women
Pick a sweater, tight pants or jeans and let the over-the-knee boots highlight your figure and legs. If your sweater matches your boots, you will look even more gorgeous.
When it comes to learning how to wear over-the-knee boots or thigh-high boots like models do, there are a few fashion tips to know. These boots are classy, elegant and stylish. They can be even more interesting if they are combined with the right dress, and worn properly.
Especially in winter, over-the-knee boots strive since they are protective and generally stylish. Over-the-knee boots work wonders when matched with sweaters and skirts.
To help you learn how to wear thigh-high boots, we have gathered some style secrets for you to adopt and some mistakes you should stay away from.
• Use the color of the over-the-knee boots to choose your pantyhose. Make sure you choose carefully. Black thigh-high boots look great with black tights, while for lighter colors like beige or grey boots, you should choose lighter tights.
• Do consider wearing your over-the-knee boots with minimalist outfits – this always leads to the coolest looks. How well you combine them with other accessories you choose will dictate the complexity of your outfit.
• Choose a pair of thigh-high boots that are not too high-heeled or skinny-heeled if you value comfort.
• Short (or petite) ladies should choose high-heel over-the-knee boots You will look taller by choosing high-heeled thigh-high boots.
• If you are going for thigh-high boots that are gapped at the top, show off the top of the boots.
• Don’t wear over-the-knee boots with transparent, openwork and printed tights – this doesn’t look fashionable.
• Don’t choose a tight-fitting top. Tight-fitting tops don’t look as fashionable with thigh-high boots as bulky, oversized or baggy tops do.
• Don’t wear leather over-the-knee boots with leather leggings. This is a big ‘NO’ for fashion’s sake. If you are going for leather leggings, it is advisable to pair them with suede thigh-high boots.
• Don’t wear over-the-knee boots with patent leather, deep décolleté, or leopard print. Instead, pair your boots with clothing such as turtleneck sweaters, maxi hemlines or a coat to top off your look.
• Don’t choose flat thigh-high boots if you are petite.
• Never choose over-the-knee boots that are overly tight or too loose to avoid ill-fitting looks.
How to Wear High-Heel Over-the-Knee Boots
High-heel over-the-knee boots are the most capricious styles, and you should be particularly careful wearing them to avoid ill-fitting looks. Never pair your heeled thigh-high boots with tight silhouettes, short skirts and shorts, body-hugging short dresses, sheer and fishnet tights, asymmetrical skirts and dresses, animal prints, and complex details.
Instead, lots of layering, straight cuts, rough and baggy silhouettes should be your best bets. Your dresses and skirts should be midi and straight cut, while plain tight pants look simply outstanding with this style of boots. Layering your outfit with long or knee-length coats will amp up the elegant factor in your look.
How to Wear Flat Over-the-Knee Boots
The easiest way to embrace this trend is going for flat over-the-knee boots, which are classy, comfortable and chic, and look absolutely gorgeous on tall women. And since comfortable shoes ask for comfortable clothing, pair your boots with mini dresses, button-up denim skirts, shorts and casual sweaters, and just about anything casual and cool.
Color coordinating your outfits is crucial here, as you want to create visually slimming looks. Also make sure the hem of your skirt or dress doesn’t cover the top part of the boot to avoid a heavy silhouette.
Layering with a longer trench coat, cardigan or vest will create a beautiful balance with your flat thigh-high boots, elongating your silhouette.
Some Tips and Practices That Bring out the Best Appearance
More than what you have read and know them to be, these boots have become stylish and trendy in recent years. They are your best friends on cold days since they keep you warm.
Aside from providing your body with warmth, they are meant to add sass and elegance to your appearance. To ensure this is achieved, we have gathered some ideas and fun ways of wearing over-the-knee boots that will make you look ravishing.
• For everyone, there are many styles to adopt. Rocking your over-the-knee boots with an oversized sweater might be a place to start. Complete your outfit with skirts or casual shorts that expose some skin.
• Meanwhile, black over-the-knee boots are beautiful. They look slimming and complement any other color. Add black thigh-high boots to your wardrobe and match them with the outfit in the color of your choice.
• Gray and brown thigh-high boots are also good choices. However, to prevent being submerged in a color, you can choose a deeper or lighter tone for the rest of your outfit (or a different color of entirely).
• White or pastel over-the-knee boots are just perfect for warmer seasons.
• Choose lace-up over-the-knee boots to present a glamorous look. It doesn’t matter where they are laced up – front or back – this choice of boots is your best for a night out. They make your legs look alluring.
• Choose a long unbuttoned coat over these boots; you can expose some skin over the boot with shorts.
Over-the-Knee Boots with Dresses
Create an easy-going look pairing a knitted dress with pantyhose and over-the-knee boots to give you a beautiful look. You can also use a long sweater, instead of a knitted sweater dress, to give you a similarly stunning look.
Some ladies like a free-flowing, below the knee dress. And this is another way to achieve a chic appearance.
Always opt for covered-up and preferably monochrome mini and midi dresses to wear with over-the-knee boots, since plunging necklines, busy prints and too much detailing can spoil the look.
Your thigh-high boots and a slip dress will always look cute! This is another choice that looks cool. Choose slip dresses that are made of silk, and suede boots that are light brown, and you’ll rock the boat!
Over-the-Knee Boots with Leggings
Use leggings to match the boot’s color. The combination of boots and leggings is good with a knitted sweater – especially a long, loose knitted sweater. To add an extra touch of elegance, use a scarf.
Over-the-Knee Boots with Mini Skirts
If you are wearing a mini skirt, maintain a distance of about 15cm, and pair it with a covered-up top, like a turtleneck sweater or a buttoned-up, tucked in shirt. When you opt for a mini skirt with thigh-high boots, you look good layering it with a long coat, a jacket or a hoodie.
Over-the-Knee Boots with Midi-Skirts
The longer skirt hides the top of the over-the-knee boots. This way of dressing serves more warmth to your body. For business outings, midi skirts, like pencil ones that cover the top of the boots slightly, look good and do not attract provocative gestures.
When it comes to midi skirts with thigh-high boots, it’s a good idea to choose a style with a center or side slit.
Over-the-Knee Boots with Pants
Select fitting pants that are smart and tight to wear with over-the-knee boots. The best choice of pants for thigh-high boots: the culottes.
You can combine your white pants with pastel or grey suede over-the-knee boots. Black and brown also look good in this case, creating a nuanced contrast.
Over-the-Knee Boots with Jeans
When you are choosing jeans to wear with thigh-high boots, there is a limited range of colors to go for. They are mainly dirty blue, gray, and black. We suggest you avoid real blue and bright blue jeans at all cost.
Always wear oversized, elongated and loose sweaters and tops with jeans and over-the-knee boots, ones that will cover the waistline.
Over-the-Knee Boots with Shorts and Rompers
Avoid shorts that are too short and leave more than 15cm from the boot’s top. Oversized sweaters slightly tucked in, and buttoned-up shirts will create fantastic outfits with shorts and over-the-knee boots.
Another alternative is considering rompers instead of shorts. Make sure the romper brings out the shape of your waist and is loose enough to look like a mini dress. In cooler weather, you might want to use a sweater over it.
Extra Tips for Wearing Thigh-High Boots
• If the over-the-knee boots are not tight-fitting, use thinner socks to make them comfortable.
• Consider adding knee-high socks to your look to make the boots pop with a casual look or a sweater dress.
• Thigh-high boots with an all-black outfit look radiating and beautiful on fair skin.
• For petite ladies, layering is the best way of wearing over-the-knee-boots.
• Curvy ladies should use layering cautiously, playing with volumes which favor the silhouette.
Photos via Instagram