Using body polishes is like using oils in body massage, but it is rather meant to exfoliate your skin. And the process has more detail. It brings about skin beauty and many other benefits.
For a lady who has rough skin, the process of body polishing works to remove dead cells and improve skin growth. This will work to produce smoother, firmer and supple skin. After this helpful procedure, you will want a new picture, that says ‘this is the new me.’
But how? What will you need? Can you do it yourself?
If you want brighter skin that we will make your friends drool over and ask how you achieve, you will want to know everything about body polishes. More than that, you will want to know how to make super homemade body polishes that make the skin glow.
In today’s article, we have covered every bit of question. What is the difference between body polish and body scrub? How do I apply it? How does body polish work? What are the best body polishes to try?
Ultimate Guide to Body Polishing at Home: Contents
• 15 Best Body Polishes to Buy
• What Is Body Polish?
• Types Of Body Polishes
• How Does Body Polishing Works?
• Body Polish vs Body Scrub: What’s The Difference?
• Body Polish Benefits
• What Ingredients To Look For In a Good Skin Polish?
• Body Polishing at Home: Procedure Steps to Follow
• 7 Homemade Body Polish Recipes To Try
Before we proceed, here are 15 best body polishes you should buy.
1. Herbivore Coco Rose Coconut Oil Body Polish
With a perfect blend of virgin coconut oil and delicately floral Moroccan rose, this body polish is highly moisturizing and yet, gently exfoliating. Think of the luxurious formula as a producer of softer, smoother, and more nourished skin. Are you frustrated with the fullness in your skin? Worry not! This can be handled with a few bucks. Get this vegan, non-comedogenic, cruelty-free body polish from Sephora and let the transformation begin.
2. REN Moroccan Rose Otto Sugar Body Polish
One of the best body polishes, this one works on your skin like a wonder maker. It is an exotic body polish. You will experience a gentle exfoliating process. It is formulated with Moroccan rose, which has a wonderful scent, and an important ingredient that makes the skin glow. The product is made of cane sugar, which is used to buff the skin, boost cell turnover and improve the skin renewal. Smell nice and make the skin get an improved look picking this body polish from Nordstrom.
3. Fresh Brown Sugar Body Exfoliator
Others can only try to compete with this body polish. It is a top in quality treatment, bringing in supremely soft skin. The manufacturer thought it out well offering an innovative formula that uses sugar as a non-drying exfoliator. When you complete your spa with this body polish, you have successfully prevented moisture loss. Slowly, it buffs away dry skin.
One of the best body polishes, it is a unique combination of four precious oils – evening primrose, sweet almond, apricot kernel, and jojoba. You will nourish and moisturize your skin completely. Using this product, the citrus oil in its ingredients will brighten the skin, and you will work around with a pleasant scent. Get your jar from Sephora!
4. Trish Mcevoy ‘No. 9 Blackberry & Vanilla Musk’ Body Polish Sugar Scrub
This is a luxurious body polish for a lady who cares enough about her skin. With a creamy content, it is appealing to the skin surface. And with a skin-renewing formula infused with sugar granules and sea, you will keep coming back for more. Available at Nordstrom, it is a product for smooth and hydrated skin made with a polished glow.
5. Kiehl’s Since 1851 Creme de Corps Soy Milk & Honey Body Polish
For supple, smooth and moisturized skin, you should choose body polishes that have pure honey and soy milk protein, like this one available at Sephora. This product is a skin comforter. Creamy and formulated with shea and jojoba butter and sweet almond oil, it will give you nourished skin. The ground luffa fruit contained comes to mildly exfoliate skin without drying.
6. FarmHouse Fresh Big Bare Whipped Shea Butter Body Polish
With the help of all its ingredients, this body polish works deep to exfoliate and tone your skin. The skin would come with a bright, clear appearance than before. It is formulated with organic sunflower seed oil, shea butter, and vitamins A and E. That will give you enough benefits to make you smile to your mirror for a job well done on your skin. Get this jar from Dermstore!
7. Lancer The Method: Body Polish
Call it a warming, body polish. Its duty is to exfoliate away dull, dry surface cells. In no time, you will bring to the surface fresh, glowing skin. It is enriched with finely milled, pure quartz crystals and salicylic acid, a team of ingredients to smooth the skin’s surface. Kigelia fruit extract and marula oil will make you have soft and visibly rejuvenated skin. Get a tube from Sephora!
8. Juara Candlenut Body Polish
You don’t have to worry about alkaline from soap. Using this skin polish, you are using a soap-free formula. It will seal in moisture, helping to keep the skin more hydrated than a typical body polish. After use, the skin would smell the delicate, sweet scent, a long-lasting aroma. If you have sensitive skin, it works well just as it does for another skin type. This body polish is available at Dermstore.
9. Soap & Glory Flake Away Body Polish
As you will expect of a skin polish, it is not harsh. It comes with an alluring scent that you will want to feel around all day long. The product is one unique formula of fresh bergamot, mandarin, rose, jasmine, peach, strawberry, and soft musk and amber. When you have worked it on your body, it turns out delicate, fragranced, hydrated, super soft, smooth and conditioned skin. You can get a jar of this body polish from Ulta Beauty.
10. YU-BE Foaming Skin Polish
Use this body polish as you wish – during a five-minute shower or a luxurious soak in the tub – you will get the same result – glowing skin. This product is a granular skin polish, which combines water to clear away skin’s surface and turn out a beautiful appearance. Its ingredients include fine grains of rice bran and bamboo, ginger root and ginseng, all blended to soothe and help the skin to shine. It’s available at Nordstrom.
11. One Love Organics Vitamin C Body Polish
We will love to see skin that has been exfoliated and hydrated with this excellent body polish available at Dermstore, because it is just super smooth. The product is for girls aiming to become beautiful-skinned ladies. It is made of antioxidant-rich vitamin C ester, aloe, shea butter and organic sugar crystals. It helps you get rid of dead skin cells, improve the tone and texture of skin. And yeah, you don’t have to worry about inflammation.
12. Molton Brown London Body Polisher
Available in four options at Nordstrom, this body polish is easy to use – just a gentle massage on the skin and the skin will feel flawlessly soft. Whether you go for the one featuring bamboo with pink pepperpods, ylang-ylang oil or the other two options, at the end of the day you’ll enjoy the new, alluring skin.
13. First Aid Beauty Cleansing Body Polish with Active Charcoal
This body polish is a chemical and physical exfoliator. It removes dry patches of skin. It is made of active charcoal, which helps to remove dirt and impurities from your skin. With a soft, paste-like texture, you will enjoy the feel on your skin. Prepare your skin for a more convenient self-tanning application getting a tube from Dermstore!
14. Diptyque Smoothing Body Polish
Made of delicate floral notes, your skin will feel silky after using this body polish from Nordstrom. With a combined exfoliating action of jojoba and silica microspheres, this skin polish promises to give you healthy, radiant and youthful skin in no time.
15. June Jacobs Lemon Sugar Body Polish
You have radiance in that skin, even if it doesn’t seem like it. This excellent body polish will bring it out. It removes dull epidermal cells with the help of naturally sourced glycolic acid. Your complexion will feel refreshed since dead cells and dullness are gone. The product is formulated with the fresh citrus scent of lemon extract, bringing you an energizing smell. This body polish is also available through Dermstore.
If you are familiar with body massage, you will understand this idea faster. Just the way oil is used in massage, this is how body polishes are used.
Body polish is a product used in form of a spa treatment to exfoliate the skin. While the aim of body massage is to relax the muscle, this product is used to make the skin soft and smooth.
The aim of body polish is to make the skin look healthy and glow. You could compare it to a facial, but it is used on a wider part of the skin. The ingredients include – if you want to prepare a body polish at home – sugar, salt, honey, oats, walnut shell powder, olive oil, etc.
In simple terms, body polish is a skincare product that is applied like it is massage oil but it only helps the skin to become healthy.
Skin polishes come in various types. These types are mostly categorized based on the ingredients they are made of. And the ingredients influence the result you will expect from each body polish. Below are the common types of body polishes.
Himalayan Salt Rub
It is made of ingredients like rock crystal. This is the purest salt on earth. It is an essential mineral, which restores and fortifies the natural minerals in the skin to improve effectiveness.
Anti-Cellulite Body Polish
If you have lots of fat cells, this is the type of body polish you would ask for. These polishes will recirculate and reduce the formation of fat cells you worry so much about. It is formulated with coffee, therefore, it stimulates circulation and improves the skin’s look especially in areas that have defected.
Nourishing Body Glow
This is a body polish comprising oils like aloe vera and jojoba. These oils are gentle but if you apply them effectively, they work perfectly like a scrub.
Tan-Optimizing Body Polish
It works as an exfoliant, helping to remove dead skin cells and keep the skin smooth. It is often applied as a preliminary product before the application of a fake tan.
Brightening Body Polish
To remove dead cells from your entire body, from head to toe, this is the best body polish. It comes in varieties, using different ingredients, among which ground pumice stone and citrus oils are common. If you visit some spas, you might notice other ingredients in use. Whatever the ingredients, the target is to remove tired skin cells.
Natural Body Polishes
These are the ingredients added to make a natural skin polish:
• Aloe vera
Body polishes are usually applied in a wet room, or call it a sauna cubicle, depending on the place. The floor of such a room is tiled and well drained. There should be a desk or table at the centre for you to lie.
Optionally you will wear disposable underwear. The desk on which you lie is usually covered with a towel, a piece of cloth or plastic. Like you want to enjoy a massage, you will lie on your tummy, and the steam in the room will open your skin pores. The therapist will work on your back and arms, and other areas. She will apply the body polish suitable for your skin type on your body.
The areas she is not working on will be covered if necessary. After working on your back, you will roll over for her to work on another side of your body. The use of body polish ends here. And depending on what you want, the process could end here.
If you want extra benefits, before the process, you could ask for the service of body polishing with a body massage. You will develop a glowing skin with body polishing, and you will have relaxed muscles with a body massage.
So after the process ends, and a hot, moist towel has been used to clean the skin, the therapist will apply oil on the skin. This could be aromatic essential oils that moisturize and relax the skin.
After the process, you will shower. This is necessary to wash the product leftovers. Avoid shower solution, as this will ensure the fragrance remains on your skin.
And if the facility is available, the therapist will help you wash off with a Vichy shower or handheld shower. Depending on the available facility, the therapist can improvise and use a hot towel to wipe your body clean. This, of course, will remove the exfoliant.
Because a therapist is working on your body does not mean you will not feel inconvenient at times. Salt and some other exfoliants could be abrasive, so if they are a little painful, let your therapist know.
Don’t miss it. They work differently, and the effect is different. If you are familiar with one, say body scrub, you will notice that scrubs only help cleanse the body. Then, what is the work of body polish?
First, let’s consider the process.
• Body Polish: A collection of ingredients including salt, sugar, coffee grounds, rice bran, will be mixed with oil and applied to your body. You can get body polishing alone or you could get it with a message – as you wish.
• Body Scrub: Here, the skin is to be exfoliated. This can be done using the abrasive product, which is rubbed or massaged on the skin. This process will get rid of dead skin cells, remove flaky and hard skin. And the skin would eventually feel soft, fresh and alive. If you wish to use oils in exfoliating, it is usually after using the scrub.
Form the above you will realize that body scrub is more of an exfoliating process, while body polish is more of a treatment meant to enrich the skin.
Body scrub seems to be the one with a higher number of benefits. Aside from removing the dead cells in the skin, it helps to improve blood circulation. Although it is slightly painful than using body polish, it can help to prevent cellulite. And the skin tone will improve.
Scrubs could serve as the first step for you to body polish. After exfoliating the skin, it becomes easier for other products to penetrate and be more effective. By opening up the pores, it gives room for mud treatment and body oils to penetrate to stimulate your senses and make you feel relaxed.
The body polish is rich in butter and ingredients that form a lot of foams. When you use them, you will see bubbles; it will make your skin feel soft and silky. If you just return from a long vacation and want a more gentle process to preserve tan, body polish is the way to go.
So generally, body scrubs might be doing two jobs together: exfoliating and cleansing. They can be done at home. When you are preparing for a holiday, body scrubs are recommended.
Body polishes are mostly done in the spa, mostly as a pre-mud treatment.
The two are often interwoven because a slight turn of process or change in ingredients can make a scrub become a polish.
Aside from being a pleasant skin treatment, body polishes bring lots of benefits with them for your skin.
Skin polish helps to remove dead skin cells and makes the skin look healthier and fresher. How? After the dead cells are gone, this process moves further to layers of skin that are healthier, and yeah, younger than the previous.
With dead cells removed, the skin becomes new, giving out a brilliant, soft, gorgeous look. The dull look of your skin will go off with a well-executed use of body polish. And if you want the skin to regain its beauty after sun damage, body polishing can help in the process.
The skin is moisturized after body polishing. For those who want a deeper form of hydration, body polishing is the best option.
Skin polish removes dirt and oil stains that might be on the skin. Cleaning is done as the therapist – or whoever – is washing off the skin, with a Vichy, a handheld shower, or a hot, moist towel.
You remember how massaging works? In a similar fashion, as hands move on your back, your arms and your thighs, working the skin polish, the blood flow through the body increases. Especially if the hands are a little gritty, the effect will make the skin relax, and the blood circulation will improve. Body polishing also increases the oxygen supply to the skin.
Makes Other Skincare Products More Effective
During the body polishing, the skin pores become alive, making the surface of the skin ready for other product application. This will improve better product penetration, making other skincare products be more effective.
A Prep for a Spray Tan
Before you continue activities like a spray tan or body wrap, you will have to give your body some polishing. Especially, if you want a seaweed or mud wrap, you will need to undergo body polishing. And it is just more useful to do this process before you do spray tan or add any other body-tanning product.
Some ingredients are expected, but they are not the only things to look for in a good body polish – if you don’t want average skin. And you remember, adding some ingredients might make you cross the line from a polish to scrub. And that is a different story. For those who want a unique skin appearance, here are the ingredients you should expect to see in a good body polish:
• Rice bran
• Coffee grounds
And what you should look for?
In addition to the first list of ingredients, this second list will let you get more benefits:
• Olive oil
• Loofah or pumice stone
• Coconut oil
• Shea butter
• Apricot shells
• Walnut shells
• Lavender oils
• Citrus oils
It isn’t a must for your body polish to have ALL the ingredients – and it does, that is a good fit. Remember, it isn’t a must.
If you look at our discussions, it seems you can get this done at spas with the help of a therapist. Or you will need help, at least to work on your behind. That’s true. But that does not cut out the possibility of doing this body polishing at home. How?
Before we say how these are the things that could help:
• Drink water. Getting hydrated will make the quality of your skin improve.
• Eat food that has Omega-3 and 6, antioxidants, and vitamins A, C and E. Fish and flax seeds are rich in Omega-3 and 6. Antioxidants include berries, red fruits, beet, green, tea, beans, and peppers. Vitamin C is found in citrus, kiwi, fruit, broccoli, brussels, sprouts, and papaya. Vitamin A is found in cantaloupe, low-fat dairy and carrots. Vitamin E is found in olive oil, spinach, asparagus, vegetables oils and seeds.
• Get the right tools available in the market: pumice stone, exfoliating washcloth, large-looped washcloth, one piece of flannel, cotton gloves, an optional sable fur mitt, a pair of cotton gloves, a pair of silk gloves.
• Moisturize your skin daily with nutritious oils like coconut oil, olive oil or shea butter.
• Stay away from soaps for a while. Soaps are alkaline and could cause irritation, flaking and cracking. Use non-soap cleansers, as they have the normal Ph for your skin.
• Take a warm bath to get the skin prepared. You could stay in a warm bathtub for about 20 minutes. Alternatively, you could wear a warm sweater.
• First, after the bath, moisturize the skin. Use coconut oil or any other essential oils to lubricate the skin.
• Apply the body polish to every part of your body. Make circular motions with an oil-covered hand to perform this process. Use some little force as you apply your skin polish to remove dead cells.
• Use the pumice stone to work on tough areas. Rub the stone gently on this area to make it soft.
• The areas you work on with pumice stones need more attention. Use more body polish in such areas than others.
• Rinse off the skin polish.
• After rinsing off the polish, use a towel to gently dry the skin.
• Use regular body moisturizers on the dry skin.
• Before you polish, you should have been eating nutritious food for a week or two. During the same period, increase your intake of water to at least 10 glasses per day.
• Test your body polish on a small part of your body before you use it fully. You could use it on the back of your palm. Depending on your skin reaction, you will choose the skin polish or get a better one. Alternatively, you can make a new one by yourself (we will teach you later in this post).
• The aim of the bath is to open your pores, so make it a pleasant bubble bath.
• Study your body: if there are other areas you think are tough excluding the knees and elbows, use the pumice stone to work on them.
• Regular moisturizers are applied to the skin to keep it hydrated. Use it after the process of body polishing has been executed.
• Use skin polish just once a week. And depending on your skin reaction, this could increase to once in a month.
• Avoid soaps for at least one day after the process.
Body Polishing Aftercare
After you are done with the process, there are certain things that would help the skin. This should not be confused with the previous tips we mentioned. These are necessary after you have completed your body polishing process, and when you are doing your day-to-day activities afterwards.
Here they are:
• Give your skin some break after the process. After you have completed the process, give your skin time to absorb the benefits of the body polish before you wash it off. And don’t add any chemical products to your skin afterwards because the skin is supple and prone to irritation at this stage.
• Soaps and strong cosmetics are to be avoided too. Soaps are alkaline products and tend to make the skin dry by taking away the hydrating effect of the body polish.
• Notice side effects. If there is any, ensure it is treated, and stay away from the body polish you have been using. It will be wiser to test the product before you apply it to your skin.
• Natural products are the best for body polishing.
• Avoid the sun. The skin at this stage is more sensitive, and you are likely to get a sunburn. If you must walk or work under the sun, use a sunscreen. You will want to reapply the sunscreen at intervals if you stay for long under the sun.
• To maximize the benefits of a body polishing, do exfoliation after some days.
There you go, enjoy a fulfilling skin growth after body polishing.
You might have tried the manufactured body polishes, and the result is one long, sad story. Or just want something simple you could try at home and use after so many times of using manufactured products. Here are seven options for you to try at home, and like you expect, your skin would get a new natural look the next time you show us pictures.
Just before you proceed, make sure you pick the right ingredients for your body polish according to your skin type.
• Sea and bath salts are excellent for those with oily skin.
• If you have dry skin, go for brown sugar as the main ingredient.
• Sugar-based body polishes are good for those with normal skin types.
• Those with sensitive skin should include shea butter in their homemade body polish to avoid any skin irritation.
1. Sugar & Orange Body polish
You will need 2/3 cup of brown sugar or fine white sugar of the same quantity, and half a cup of olive oil. Mix the two ingredients. Your DIY body polish is ready for use.
2. Strawberry Body Polish
You will need 5 pulps of strawberries, half a cup of sugar, and honey. Blend in the ingredients together. The skin polish would help the skin become fresh and young.
3. Sea Salt Body Polish
You will need a full cup of pure sea salt, ½ cup of honey, 2 tablespoon of aloe vera gel, and few drops of tea tree oil. Mix the ingredients together to make a gentle and skin-smoothing homemade body polish.
4. Salt & Sugar Body Polish
Combine 1/2 cup of brown sugar and the same amount of salt with 1/2 cup of honey. Get a granular paste, and use on the skin as necessary.
5. Lavender Body Polish
This option can help prevent aging. You will need 1 cup of brown sugar, 1,5 tablespoon of olive oil, 1 tablespoon of honey, and a few petals of rose and lavender flowers. Mix them together. Then, add a few drops of lavender essential oil and stir. Your weapon against aging is ready.
6. Mixed Fruits Body Polish
Get some fruits like papaya, apple and banana. Extract some quantity of fruit pulp, add 1 tablespoon of oatmeal, 3 tablespoons of honey, some milk, mix and shake well. Use as massage.
7. Lime & Coconut Body Polish
You will need 1 cup of coconut oil, 1/2 cup of avocado oil, 3 cups of turbinado sugar, 1 cup of dark brown sugar, the zest of 4 limes. Mix coconut oil and avocado oil in a glass bowl (if the mixture feels greasy, next time you could cut out the avocado oil entirely). Then add the other ingredients and mix. Seal the mixture into a container and use.
And that is our guide to using body polish. Making your own recipe is a good choice if you like to work with your hands and create something. But for busy people who would want something manufactured for a faster use, we have listed 15 choices for you to enjoy a fruitful body polishing process.
Photos via @ashleighdmello, @shopmanoir