When we are talking about body treatment, we can’t just go round all the topics and processes and exclude body scrubs. See it as the facial for your entire body. Body scrub is applied to exfoliate and hydrate the skin. Some ingredients such as sea salt or sugar will be mixed with essential oils to produce the best body scrubs for you.
Depending on the ingredients used, the body scrub you choose might be called a salt scrub, salt glow or sea salt scrub.
So what is a body scrub? How should you use it? When you finish reading, you will have the knowledge and skills to have fresher and more beautiful skin thanks to using the right body exfoliators. Let us start with some recommendations!
Best Body Scrubs & Exfoliators for Perfectly Exfoliated Skin: Contents
- 19 Best Body Scrubs & Exfoliators
- What Is a Body Scrub and How Does It Work?
- Body Scrub vs. Body Polish
- Body Scrub Benefits
- How to Use Body Scrub: Exfoliating Your Body at Home
- 7 Easy DIY Body Scrubs to Try
Here we give you the best of body scrubs and exfoliators available on the market now. Make a good choice out of many!
1. Josie Maran Argan Sugar Balm Body Scrub
This body scrub will help revitalize your skin. Its hydrating effect is deeper than a typical body exfoliator. It is infused with argan oil and other oils. The butter is a good hydrating product, and sugar as an ingredient is a good exfoliant. Find this product at Sephora!
2. Dermadoctor KP Duty Body Scrub
One of the best body scrubs, this product is a dual-action exfoliator. You indulge yourself to use it, getting benefits: smooth skin, refreshed feelings, and a glowing appearance. It adds benefits of a chemical peel and microdermabrasion into one formulation. It’s available online at Sephora.
3. Sol De Janeiro Brazilian Bod Buff Smoothing Scrub ‘N’ Mask
The challenge of getting super soft skin has been simplified thanks to this amazing body scrub. The skin becomes irresistibly smooth and blissfully scented. And you can use it as an everyday body scrub or as a unique treatment body mask. Get one for you from Sephora!
4. Laura Mercier Almond Coconut Milk Scrub
You will love the almond and coconut scent of this body exfoliator. When you use it, it will gently slough away dead skin cells. Your skin will turn smooth and polished. You will get glowing skin by massaging your body with this body scrub, thanks to the sugar granules in its ingredients. It sells through Sephora.
5. Caudalie Crushed Cabernet Scrub
It is a natural, wine-inspired body scrub. The contents include crushed grape-seeds, brown sugar, pure Gironde honey, and six organics. And the result is delightful nourished and polished skin. Pick it up from Sephora to try it!
6. L’Occitane Almond Exfoliating & Smoothing Delicious Paste
The exfoliating paste is blended with almond butter, almond oil, crushed almond shells, and sugar crystals. When you massage it on your body, this body scrub melts into your body. The usage ensures the skin is softened and smooth. The skin texture is refined. One of the best body scrubs, this option can be found at Sephora.
7. Omorovicza Gold Sugar Scrub
Use this body exfoliator every day. It will give your skin a touch of golden decadence. Made of cane sugar, it brings out the best by refining the skin’s texture. It removes the dead skin cells. This body scrub has a unique blend of floral oils, and that results in a dreamy scent. Pick it up from Nordstrom!
8. Fresh Cocoa Body Exfoliant
I’m sure of one method of getting velvety and luxurious skin. And that is a skin-softening body exfoliant made from crushed cocoa and cocoa butter. It smells like a pleasant scent and it gets rid of dead skin and impurities. One of the best body scrubs is available online at Sephora.
9. Kopari Coconut Crush Scrub
This is a coconut body scrub, which polishes and hydrates the skin excellently. The product is produced with small pieces of Tahitian coconut shell, which removes the dry stuff easily off the body. It is one-of-a-kind body exfoliant revealing smoother, silkier skin. Get it from Nordstrom!
10. Origins Warm Down Warming Lava Scrub to Detox & Smooth
If you ever a want super clean skin, then, you will shop for this body scrub available at Sephora. It is a water-activated warming lava body exfoliator. Use it after workouts and feel your sore muscles relax, plus detox your skin post-workout. It is a shower-activated body exfoliator that has volcanic ash. It warms on contact with water, and dirt and sweat will be removed from skin swiftly.
11. Cane + Austin Face & Body Retexture Scrub 10% Glycolic Acid + 0.5% Salicylic Acid
Perhaps you worry about your skin getting worse from poor condition. This body scrub from Sephora will restore your skin’s texture. The gentle micro-beads exfoliate, as 10% glycolic acid will refine pores, and 0.5% salicylic acid will help maintain soft skin. It’s a mild formula of herbal extracts, glycolic acid, and salicylic acid. You can use for both face and body.
12. Olehenriksen Rub n’ Buff Transforming Salt Scrub
Choose this salt scrub from Sephora and get something special from your spa experience! Its job is to leave your skin feeling soft and give you a fresh scent. It will transform your skin into a beautifully supple, healthy-looking body.
13. Lalicious Extraordinary Whipped Sugar Scrub
What should you think of whipped sugar scrub? One of the best body scrubs, this exfoliator is formulated with pure sugar cane crystals. And it will gently slough away dry skin cells to reveal a youthful and even skin tone. With a cold-pressed coconut and sweet almond oils, it will nourish and moisturize deep into the skin. Your skin becomes luminous from head to toe. Get this from Nordstrom!
14. Tata Harper Smoothing Body Scrub
The spa-strength body scrub has a biodegradable multi-particle polishing complex. This makes it a thorough body exfoliant and hydrating body scrub. Your skin is left smooth and glowing. Here is a secret: use before shaving. It reveals the roots and softens your hair. Pick it up from Sephora!
15. Ahava ‘DeadSea Plants’ Smoothing Body Exfoliator
One, it is a richly textured smoothing body exfoliator. Two, it has natural, plant-based ingredients that provide anti-aging benefits, exfoliating the skin and improving blood circulation. It promotes skin clarity and radiance. With the blend of Dead Sea ingredients and Moroccan argan shells, date kernel, grape seeds and sugar cane, this is the best body scrub to nourish and enhance skin clarity and radiance. It is available at Nordstrom.
16. Tree Hut Shea Sugar Scrub
The deep body exfoliant is recommended for every lady. Why? It contains moisturizing natural shea butter oils. Your skin’s natural moisture is preserved. The sugar grains provide a gentle yet deep exfoliation. It contains vitamin C, so the skin will keep looking young and healthy. 7 options of this body scrub are available at Ulta Beauty now.
17. Too Cool For School Coconut Milky Body Scrub
Made with a whole coconut for dewy and silky skin, it is a gentle exfoliating body wash that can be found at Sephora. The grounded coconut shell is a natural exfoliant, which polishes rough and flaky skin to transform into a smooth, silky skin appearance. The Brazilian coconut water hydrates your skin with rich vitamins and minerals.
18. Sheamoisture Coconut Oil Coffee Scrub
Your skin has got one-of-a-kind body scrub, which will gently exfoliate dry, dull skin to smooth, softening the roughest patches. And it is designed for a lightweight hydration. It exfoliates and restores skin softness, revealing moisturized, supple skin. Feel new energized and nourished skin thanks to this body exfoliator coming from Ulta Beauty.
19. Credentials Spa Body Sugar Butter Body Scrub
The creamy body scrub is a combination of essential materials: shea butter, jojoba, Vitamin E, and essential oils. The sources of its benefits span across many ingredients. The legs, arms and the entire body will feel its refreshing power. Enjoy smooth, supple and sexy skin thanks to this body exfoliator from Dermstore!
This is easier to understand if you have read our guide on how to use body polish. A body scrub is an exfoliating skin care product made of abrasive materials mixed with massage oil and an essential oil. The abrasive materials could be sea salt or sugar. The scrub that uses salt might be called a salt scrub, or salt glow or sea salt scrub.
As you apply body scrub as a spa treatment, the skin is exfoliated. It becomes fresh, smooth, moisturized, and soft.
The process of using body scrub is usually done in a wet room. The room floor is usually tiled and drained. And a therapist is available to handle the process.
You may be offered disposable underwear. You will lie on your stomach over a massage table, with you facing downwards. The table could be covered with a towel, a sheet or a thin piece of plastic. Or it could be a special wet table. It’s better if the table has a Vichy shower overhead, as you won’t need to stand from the table to wash the scrub off.
Gently, the therapist would begin to massage or rub the body exfoliant on your back, the backs of your arms, your legs and feet. After she has successfully massaged the scrub on your back, you will face up for her to work on the other side.
After the therapist has worked on your body with the scrub, you will step up in a shower to wash off the scrub. If the room has a hand-held shower or a Vichy shower, it gets easier.
While you are in the shower, the therapist will replace the sheets on the treatment table with a clean sheet. You will return and lie over the table again to dry off. The therapist completes the process and applies lotion or body oil on your body.
The use of body polish is different from that of body scrub. If you look at the purpose, you can spot the difference.
• Body scrubs are made of abrasive ingredients, and it can be a traditional oil-based scrub. When you use a body scrub, it will exfoliate the skin and cleanse the skin altogether. And you can do it at home.
• Body polish will also remove dead skin cells and moisturize. But it is not made to clean. They are available in spas. And they are mostly used in preparation for other treatments such as seaweed or mud wrap.
Whether you are using a homemade body scrub like we would discuss below or you have chosen from the best body scrubs above, do you know the benefits? Here is your chance to understand the reasons one bottle of a body scrub is necessary on your shelf, and why you should exfoliate regularly.
Body Scrub Exfoliates
The skin turns over about 30,000 to 40,000 old skin cells every day if you don’t know. These dead skin cells cover the top 18-23 layers of your skin. If you use scrubs, you will remove a huge percentage of dead skin cells.
If you don’t use body scrubs, you are a living carrier of dead skin cells – many of it. The skin spends about 23 days to move dead skin to the top. Using body scrubs, such as salt scrubs, will bring out the new skin cells, and you will have fresh, youthful, glowing skin.
Massaging the scrub on your skin, the exfoliating granules will slough off dead skin.
Body Exfoliator Removes Toxins
First using it will improve natural blood flow and the circulation of bodily fluids. Rubbing body scrubs on your skin, the toxins and fats that may be held in the skin are removed easily.
It Improves Blood Circulation
The rubbing action will improve circulation and drain your lymph nodes. Blood flows to the skin’s surface easily. And after the shower, the oils and skin products you use will penetrate into the skin better.
Some Body Scrubs Moisturize the Skin
Usually, body scrubs will have moisturizing oil in the ingredients list. The common is olive oil. The oils will penetrate the skin and moisturize it.
It Brings Out a Youthful Appearance
The use of body scrubs will improve the skin appearance to become fresh and youthful. For cellulite and stretch mark-prone areas, you should use coffee scrubs. The caffeine in coffee assists with skin regeneration, acts as a vasodilator, and helps to constrict blood vessels in the skin. The blood vessels tighten and become firm. And yeah, the skin texture becomes smooth.
It Relieves Stress
After a hard day of being stressed out, using a body scrub will relax the skin. Especially, if the process is carried out in a spa, your skin will relax and feel comfortable.
It Could Open Pores for More Nutrient Penetration
Regular body exfoliation will help prevent clogged pores. Clogged pores will not let in moisture into the deeper layers. So, exfoliate your body regularly and create attractive skin that has been deeply moisturized.
Once you have chosen a body scrub from the list above, you have read the benefits and you want to try it, you need a guide. You can exfoliate your body in two ways – mechanically and chemically.
Today, we focus on the mechanical exfoliation of the body, i.e. using body scrubs!
• Pick one of the best body scrubs we have mentioned above.
• Have a warm bath or shower to open up the skin pores and allow more penetration.
• Use a textured sponge to wash the skin gently. This will help remove flakes of dead skin. Be gentle with the washing and rubbing of the sponge on your skin.
• Ensure your hands are clean, then, scoop some of the product you bought on your palm.
• Massage the scrub into your skin or rub it over your skin like you would do a cream. Begin at the ankles and scrub upwards. Use some force but not too strong, else, you’ll cause damage to your skin.
• Cover your body with an adequate amount of body scrub. Then, gently and in circular motion exfoliate your skin using a soft brush or other scrubbing tools.
• Rinse the product off with warm water.
• Use a body moisturizer after the process. It prevents irritation and increases hydration.
Alternative Exfoliating Means: Try Dry Brushing
• You won’t use water in dry brushing.
• Choose a soft but yet brittle brush.
• While naked under the shower, brush from your feet and your toes up to the top of your thighs. Brush in slow circular motions.
• Do the same from your stomach up to your chest. This is an extra sensitive area but will get desensitized as you master dry brushing.
• Repeat the brushing round your body, then, take your shower.
• After the shower, apply moisturizer on your body. Your skin will need much moisturizer, give it.
General Body Exfoliating Tips
• Choose body scrubs that have natural ingredients such as sugar, milk and salt.
• If you have dry skin, consider mixing the body scrub with body oils.
• Take a bath with warm, not hot water.
• Repeating the process of exfoliating your body regularly will give you the best results. However, avoid over-exfoliating by doing it daily, instead scrubbing twice or thrice a week.
• If you have irritated or sunburnt skin, avoid using body scrubs! Instead, just use your regular body wash only.
• Stay out of the sun after the exfoliation.
Although buying a body scrub off the market (if you choose a quality one) is advisable, there are recipes you can try to make your own body scrub at home and have brilliant results. Here are a few you should try.
DIY Oatmeal and Brown Sugar Body Scrub
Some say caffeine works for anti-aging, therefore, we recommend you turn this option out. Here you can use oatmeal (which soothes the skin) as an alternative to coffee.
• ¼ cup of olive oil
• ½ cup of white or brown sugar
• ½ cup of ground oatmeal (or coffee grounds for a more invigorating scrub)
• 1-3 drops of essential oil (try lavender, almond, citrus or peppermint oil)
• Mix all ingredients together.
• Pour the mixture into an air-tight container or a mason jar.
• Use a quarter-size of the recipe at a time, and store the rest of the body scrub in a dry place for up to three weeks.
DIY Banana Body Scrub Recipe
This will smell like dessert. It is made of bananas, which are lightly moisturizing. It is made for you if you have areas of your body that are prone to oily skin – your chest or back.
• 1 ripe banana
• 1 tbsp of brown sugar
• ¼ teaspoon of vanilla (if you like)
• Mix the ingredients, but not too much, because the scrub might thin out.
• Use in the shower.
• Ensure it sits about a minute before you gently massage over the skin in circular motions.
Invigorating Lemon & Olive Oil Body Scrub
You don’t have to worry about the risk of oily skin. Just get these ingredients and produce a body scrub that will clean your skin.
• ¾ cup of olive oil
• 3 cups of granulated sugar
• Juice of one lemon
• Zest from 2 lemons
• A couple drops of your favorite invigorating essential oil
• Mix olive oil and sugar.
• Then add lemon juice.
• Add the other ingredients – essential oil of rosemary or grapefruit.
• Apply to skin in circular motions, then rinse off.
DIY Coconut Butter Body Scrub
Of course, body exfoliating should make you feel soft. And with this homemade body scrub, your skin will absorb the butter for a soft skin appearance.
• ½ cup of shea butter or cocoa butter
• 3 tablespoons of olive oil
• 3 tablespoons of coconut oil
• Optional: a couple drops of your favorite essential oil
• ½ cup of sugar
• Melt the shea butter or cocoa butter using a double boiler.
• After melting, whip it up with a mixer to become smooth. You could use a hand blender.
• Add olive oil and coconut oil, slowly mixing into the butter.
• Then, add some essential oils.
• Finally, mix in the brown sugar.
• Wait for some minutes for your skin to absorb the moisturizing properties of the scrub, then rinse off.
DIY Green Tea Salt Scrub
The benefits of green tea include its function as anti-inflammatory and anticancer. When you opt for this option of homemade body scrub, you are not only exfoliating, but also protecting your skin.
• 3 tablespoons of Epsom salts
• 3 tablespoons of baking soda
• 1 bag of green tea leaves or a tablespoon of loose leaf tea
• 4 tablespoons of your favorite moisturizing oil, such as jojoba, olive, grapeseed, or sweet almond oil
• Mix the first three ingredients.
• Add the oil.
• It is ready for use.
Olive Oil, Peppermint & Sugar Scrub
The benefits of oil combined with peppermint are huge, and you have a body scrub that is more than just exfoliation.
• ¼ cup of olive oil
• 1 cup of brown sugar
• 15 drops of peppermint essential oil
• Mix the ingredients to get a coarse paste.
• Apply the paste to your skin. Massage the mixture, in circular motions, on your skin. Do these for 5-10 minutes.
• Rinse off using a hydrating body wash and lukewarm water.
DIY Yoghurt Body Scrub
You remember that yoghurt can naturally reduce fine lines and wrinkles. And the lactic acid in yoghurt helps in dissolving dead skin and tightens pores.
• 1 tablespoon of yoghurt
• ¼ cup of olive oil
• 1 tablespoon of honey
• 3 tablespoons of granulated sugar
• Mix the ingredients to form a coarse paste.
• Take a warm shower and apply this paste on your skin.
• Massage the mixture on your skin in circular motions. Do these for 5-10 minutes, exfoliating your skin.
• Rinse off the mixture with a hydrating body wash and lukewarm water.
And that is our list of DIY homemade body scrubs. Try your hand at them and make a couple for good use and maximum benefits. If you want a manufactured body scrub, then go over the 19 we have mentioned and make a wise choice.
Photos via @joyjah, @beautyandbeatitudes, @thebeardedbeehomestead