Sunglasses are the ultimate functional fashion accessory, so we’re excited to share with you our selection of the best sunglasses for women.
Sunglasses say so much about your personal style, and they also act as a buffer between you and the world’s various annoyances. Plus, a good pair of sunglasses offers an important layer of UV protection, keeping your eyes safe from sun damage and holding crow’s feet at bay.
These days, sunglasses trends are extremely diverse – oversized shields aren’t going anywhere, but we’re also seeing a resurgence in smaller, ‘90s-inspired frames and eccentric geometric designs. No matter what you’re into, you will find a new pair of sunnies to fall in love with!
If you’re not sure how to pick the right sunglasses for you, scroll on down to our guide where we give advice on what you should consider when shopping for eyewear.
In this article:
Best Sunglasses for Women Overview
- Best Overall: Quay Australia After Hours Square Sunglasses
- Best Aviators: Ray-Ban Standard Original 58mm Aviator Sunglasses
- Best Cat-Eyes: Dior Eyewear MissDior B1U Cat-Eye Sunglasses
- Best Oval: Le Specs Outta Love Sunglasses
- Best Round: Kaleos Patrick Round-Frame Sunglasses
- Best Flat-Top: Celine 60mm Flat Top Sunglasses
- Best Oversized: Chloé Irene Oversized Sunglasses
- Best Square: Gucci Eyewear Nouvelle Vague Sunglasses
- Best Rectangle: Versace Rectangle Sunglasses
- Best Transparent Frames: Bottega Veneta Eyewear Transparent Sunglasses
- Best Nude: Lu Goldie Lucia Sunglasses in Oat Milk
- Best Pink: Illesteva Wilson Hot Pink Sunglasses
- Best Tortoiseshell: Kaleos Franklin Oval Sunglasses
- Best Colored Frames: Saint Laurent SL 534 Sunrise Sunglasses
- Best Slim-Fit: The Attico Irene Sunglasses
- Best Angular: Bottega Veneta Angular Pilot Sunglasses
- Best White Frames: Stella McCartney Geometric Sunglasses
From classic, timeless styles to avant-garde fashion statements, every woman will find a pair of sunglasses here to suit her tastes.
Block out all the haters with these chic, utterly versatile oversized sunglasses. The shape is universally flattering, with just a hint of a cat-eye to add some femininity. The black-on-black lenses and frames will help you feel like a celebrity blocking out the paparazzi, while 100% UV protection will certainly block out the sun. They’re available at Nordstrom.
Ray-Ban sunglasses are so popular that the brand name is practically synonymous with the word ‘aviators.’ You really can’t go wrong with these originals. They’re like the Doc Martens of sunglasses – they always look a little edgy, and they’ll never go out of style. They also look great on literally everyone. Get them at Nordstrom!
Now for something a little more upscale. If you’re a true fashionista, rest assured that these Dior cat-eye sunnies make one heck of a statement. This extreme cat-eye is quite striking, with light green lenses that add some softness. Even though it stands out, the design is also delicate, thanks to the thin gold frame. Pick these up from My Theresa.
We’ve spotted both Hadid sisters wearing these beauties – is it your turn now? Elongated and oval sunglasses have been trending for a few seasons now, and they don’t seem to be going anywhere. This gorgeous pair is large enough to block out excessive attention while still offering something special and unique. Opt for a black-on-black pair for that ‘90s vibe that’s been having a comeback. You can order them from Net-a-Porter.
For something a little more avant-garde, we’re loving these rounded specs from Kaleos. The design is quite unique, so they don’t have that ‘60s aesthetic that many other round frames have. Instead, they feel totally modern with a geometric touch where the legs meet the round rim. The combination of moss green frames and tortoiseshell touches would be especially flattering on autumnal beauties. Buy them from Farfetch!
Celine’s flat-top sunglasses are another eyewear option that’s favored by celebrities, from Chrissy Teigen to Kim Kardashian. These oversized sunnies sport a very square shape with a lot of straight lines. They’ll add the perfect structured touch to any look, whether you’re looking to enhance your minimalist style or to add sophistication to a more flowy or casual look. They’re lightweight despite the large size, so you can feel comfortable wearing them all day long! Find them at Nordstrom!
From Chloé, these are the best oversized sunglasses for women with a boho flair. These gorgeous sunnies are a nice break from the all-black that has been trending lately, with brown gradient lenses and a multi-tone sunset frame made of metal. The muted colors help to soften the fact that these beauties are very large – they could easily camouflage half your face. We think these sunnies will especially flatter anyone with tanned skin and honey-colored hair. They’re sold by My Theresa!
If you’re the type to appreciate when something simple is done remarkably well, these Gucci sunglasses will be to your liking. They’re a simple square frame with just a hint of a lift at the corner. The ornamentation on them is simple but luxurious, with the Gucci logo in small gold lettering on the side and two gold-tone metal accents. If you have a smaller face, they’re great for that oversized vibe, while for anyone else, they’ll be classically flattering. Grab them from Net-a-Porter!
If you want a pair of sunnies that make a statement, this pink pair from Versace is a real contender. These glasses have a lot going on – the rimless design in combination with the aviator-style bridge and top bar combination really stands out, especially considering the bright gold tone of the frames. The rectangular pink lenses have their own unique flair, making for a pair of sunglasses that will never go unnoticed. If you’d like to own these statement-makers, they’re available at Forward.
Would you like to see the world with a lilac tint? These sunglasses from Bottega Veneta are quite large, but the delicate lens color and transparent frames keep things from looking bulky. Despite the lilac lenses, rest assured that these sunnies are quite protective with 100% UV filtering abilities. You can order them from Farfetch.
Nude is an unusual shade for sunglasses. It’s not as stark as white, but it adds a lightness that looks great with summer outfits. It’s also a lot more flattering against most skin tones! These gorgeous nude sunglasses have a great vibe – the slight cat-eye on the bulky frames has a slightly retro feel, while the straight lines keep some modernity in the look. They’re not too large, so we’d expect these beauties to suit most face shapes! Get them from Revolve!
Watch out, Malibu Barbie! These sunglasses are an ideal choice if you want to live your childhood fantasy and feel like a glamorous plastic doll. The rectangular frame shape is incredibly trendy right now and is especially flattering on round faces. They’re oversized enough to help you feel protected, but they don’t cover the brows, so they won’t overwhelm your face. There’s even a hint of a cat-eye because of course! Buy them at Shopbop!
Tortoiseshell frames are timeless and classy, so it’s fun to see them combined with this unique shape. The gradient lenses are oval-shaped, while the oversized rims are a little more square. It’s the kind of contrast that’s hard to pull off unless you have a meticulous style and a more oval face shape. Even so, if you’re feeling adventurous, you should give them a try! Pick them up from Farfetch!
From Saint Laurent, here is another excellent pair of sunglasses for women who like a lot of color. In real life, these transparent pink frames are not too loud or Barbie-esque. The rectangular design is chic and flattering, with gradient lenses that let a bit of the eye show through. They’re large but not overwhelming, so we think this design will suit you no matter your face shape. They’re sold by My Theresa.
If you like the idea of mixing tortoiseshell frames with an avant-garde design but don’t want something quite as large or overwhelming as the Kaleos Franklin sunglasses, these are a nice, slim-fitting design. It’s a very flattering option that still stands out for its uniqueness, thanks to the geometric frames. Find them at Forward!
These geometric sunglasses are a chic twist on the typical aviators. The design features geometric frames that angle downwards a little more than your average pair of sunnies. The result is not inherently flattering, but it does stand out, making it an excellent choice for fashionistas who prioritize having a unique aesthetic. While the shape is unique, the colors are soft and beautiful, with gold-tone frames and green lenses. Order them from Revolve!
We adore Stella McCartney’s eco-friendly approach and tailored approach to design. Both shine through with these geometric white sunglasses! The large white frames have the barest hint of a retro feel, while the smoky gray lenses keep the look soft. The designer’s logo is displayed quite prominently in the form of studded lettering, a chic touch that’s perfect for those who are already big fans. You can purchase these from Shopbop.
Buying a pair of fashionable sunglasses can be as simple as looking at a picture and clicking buy. However, if you want to make sure that you’re picking the best sunglasses for you, we do have a few tips for what to consider first.
From oversized face shields to small ‘90s-inspired specs, extreme sizes are the norm when it comes to today’s trendy sunglasses. When deciding on what size sunglasses you want, remember to take your own face size into account.
A small pair of sunglasses may not give you that cool Matrix vibe if you already have a small face, while a pair of oversized glasses might be positively overwhelming.
We give a few tips on how to measure your face to make sure your glasses flatter your face shape. Another great way to decide is to look at pictures of others who have purchased the same sunglasses you’re considering. You can also see if the glasses you’re considering are available for “virtual try-on” through various apps.
The shape of the sunglasses you choose can also have a big impact on your face. Make sure that you already know your face shape – once you do, here’s a quick summary of how to pick.
- Round: Round face shapes usually look best with angular medium-to-large-sized sunglasses. Look for shapes that have straight lines, including rectangular, square, and cat-eye sunglasses.
- Oval: Oval faces can look great with most sunglasses styles. All shapes and all sizes will look great, and you can even play around with very unique or geometric shapes.
- Heart: If you have a heart-shaped face with a narrow chin and a larger forehead, the key is to avoid sunglasses that are too large or top-heavy. Medium-sized sunglasses will work well no matter their shape, but you can also opt for large frames as long as they don’t hide your brows.
- Diamond: Diamond-shaped faces are often quite small and angular, with a narrow forehead and chin. You can soften your features with rounded sunglasses, but there’s also nothing wrong with emphasizing them instead! If you’d like to balance out wider cheekbones, opt for top-heavy styles like cat-eyes and aviators.
- Square: Square faces are striking enough to pull off oversized and unique sunglasses. If you’d like to soften your face shape, you may want to choose rounder styles and avoid very square or angular sunglasses. Additionally, consider sticking to medium and larger sunglasses, and avoid very small styles.
Sunglasses come in all sorts of color combinations. When selecting a shade, consider both the frames and the lenses, as well as how much of your eyes you would like shielded.
Picking the right sunglasses for your skin tone and hair color is very similar to choosing a new makeup product. Here are a few details to keep in mind:
- If you have a warm skin tone and hair color, you may want to pick sunglasses with earthier color stories like brown or green, with tortoiseshell or gold frames.
- If you have a cool skin tone, you will look great in black, blue, or silver sunglasses colors.
- Off-beat colors like pink or green for either the frames or lenses can look good on most skin tones, as long as the rest of your outfit matches.
- Sunglasses with opaque black lenses will work with all skin tones. They can look quite intense, especially if you have lighter coloring. That actually makes them an excellent choice if you want sunglasses that make a statement while preventing unwanted interactions.
We love a pair of fashionable sunglasses, but we also expect them to be functional. What’s the point of shielding your eyes with sunglasses if they’re not protecting you from the sun?
UV rays can cause all kinds of damage – they can bring on those crow’s feet sooner than we’d like, cause skin cancers, and even hurt our eyesight in the long term. All of the best sunglasses for women on our list offer full UV protection because, as far as we’re concerned, the health of the eyes and skin is non-negotiable. If you’re shopping by yourself, look for statements like “100% UV protection” or “UV absorption up to 400 nm” in the product description.
Photos via @janicejoostemaa, @tavi.makeup, Nordstrom, Revolve, My Theresa