Green hair dye is certainly not for the faint of heart, but it surely attracts and inspires with so many stunning shades available, from pastel green to bright neons to jewel tones. Whether it’s your first time trying fashion hair colors or you are looking for a new unique green hair shade to try, we’ve reviewed some of the best green hair dyes available for at-home use below. We’ll suggest our favorite green hair dye brands and kits and even help you choose the right green hair color for you with some color and skin tone breakdowns!
In this article:
Our Picks for the Best Green Hair Dyes
So, you are excited to try the green hair. Now’s the time to check out some of the best green hair dyes that you can use at home to get green hair.
1. Manic Panic Venus Envy Dark Green Hair Dye Color
If you want an unusual hair color, you can’t go wrong with Manic Panic. This semi-permanent, pure forest green hair dye gives a great neutral color without damaging the hair at all. Since it’s a semi-permanent formula, it won’t take hold in hair that isn’t bleached or naturally extremely light, but the benefit is that it comes in an easy-to-use tub, and you can rely on just as much product as you need. It is made with humectants and moisturizers, so it helps to condition the hair while dyeing it. Buy it on Amazon!
2. Crazy Color Hair Color in Emerald Green 53
Your hair will love this extra-conditioning green hair dye, especially if you’ve recently bleached it. It comes in a squeeze bottle, which helps to avoid messes, and has a neutral-cool tool that is flattering to most skin tones. As with other semi-permanent hair dyes, the hair has to be pre-lightened first. You can order it from Amazon.
3. Punky Apple Green Semi Permanent Conditioning Hair Color
For a more vibrant green hair color shade, this semi-permanent dye from Punky definitely does the trick! It’s a vivid shade that leans very slightly towards warm and brings to mind crisp, green apples. This formula is infused with keratin, so it’ll help fortify your hair, especially if you’ve had to bleach it down to a very light level. It’s vegan and paraben-free, which we really appreciate. It’s available online through Amazon.
4. Splat Rebellious Colors Complete Kit in Neon Green
This full green hair dye kit includes everything you need to go from dark virgin hair to vivid neon green. This kit includes the bleach and developer, so you can turn your hair blonde, along with a green hair dye that will stay in your hair for a long while as long as you bleach it first. This is one of the most comprehensive kits that will give the most long-lasting results. Find it on Amazon!
5. Joico Intensity Semi-Permanent Hair Color in Peacock Green
If you want a cool green hair color, this stunning semi-permanent dye from Joico will give you the most gorgeous deep teal green. As with other semi-permanent options, this is a nourishing and hydrating formula that will leave your hair in better condition than it found it, but your hair will have to be bleached. We like that it comes in a tube, which helps prevent big messes. Get it from Amazon!
6. Pravana ChromaSilk Vivids in Green
Pravana is one of the brands most well-liked by professional colorists, especially when it comes to unusual fashion colors. This paraben- and sulfate-free formula leaves the hair feeling soft and the cuticles undamaged and even includes fortifying amino acids. The shade itself is a deep neutral green that goes on vivid yet dark. It’s sold on Amazon.
7. L’Oreal Paris Hair Color Colorista Semi-Permanent for Brunette Hair in Green
If you have brown hair and are not ready to bleach, this is the green hair dye kit to pick up. It’s made specifically for those with light or medium brown hair, and it manages to stain the hair a lovely neutral green shade while also conditioning it deeply. Since the formula is bleach-free, it will come out darker on darker brown hair and may not show up at all on nearly-black hair. Pick it up from Amazon!
8. StarGazer Semi Permanent Hair Color in UV Green
If you’re looking for a warm, electric green hair color, this will be the right green hair dye for you. It will even glow under UV light, so make sure you have some raves to attend after you dye your hair! It will take hold even when hair is unbleached, but it won’t look as vivid as in the photos, so we do recommend going all out. Have it delivered by Amazon!
9. Arctic Fox Vegan and Cruelty-Free Semi-Permanent Hair Color Dye in Phantom Green
This stunning semi-permanent green hair dye gives your hair a rich, grassy color. It has a thick formula that doesn’t drip, smells incredible, and is made to fade gradually while staying in the green color spectrum. It’s made with soy proteins and glycerin to help soften and strengthen the hair. Made in the US, this hair dye brand is totally vegan and cruelty-free. Shop for it on Amazon!
10. Lunar Tides Hair Dye in Juniper Dark Forest Green
If you’re craving dark and mysterious green hair, pick up this semi-permanent formula. It has a rich forest green tone with black undertones that can tint naturally dark hair, saving you the need to bleach your hair if you want a subtler green look. The formula is vegan, cruelty-free, and boosted by nourishing ingredients like safflower oil and oat proteins. Purchase it from Amazon!
11. RAW Super Green Demi-Permanent Hair Color
This bubblegum-scented green hair dye was made for all hair types and color levels, offering a green tone that can come out more or less vivid depending on your starting shade. The shade is neutral-cool, which is great for many different skin tones, and one bottle can be enough for a few applications if your hair is short. It has a vegan formula that doesn’t cause damage. Buy it online from Amazon!
12. Lime Crime Unicorn Hair Dye in Jello Emerald Green Fantasy Hair Color
This unique green hair dye has a grass green shade that works well with warm undertones. The fortifying formula is made to deposit color into the hair while also giving it a deep conditioning treatment. It acts as a tint that can greenify even medium brown hair but will show up more vivid on light hair colors. It takes hold in 45 minutes, and one jar can last for a few applications. It’s available on Amazon.
13. Lunar Tides Hair Dye Aurora Lime Green Semi-Permanent Vegan Hair Color
If you want an electrifying, radioactive color, this lime green hair dye can do the trick. To achieve its full intensity, you will have to bleach your hair down to a very light level, but the final result will be memorable and attention-grabbing. Like other Lunar dyes, it is vegan, cruelty-free, and enriched with conditioning ingredients to improve the state of the hair. Order it from Amazon!
How to Choose the Perfect Green Hair Dye for Your Skin Tone?
Green hair is one of those unique hair colors that stand out against your skin no matter what. Whether your skin is dark, light, or medium, you can truly experiment. While some might recommend that if your skin is darker, you should stay away from pastels, we disagree! The contrast of pastel green against dark skin can be really astounding.
You do want to be a little more careful when choosing green hair based on your undertone, however. As a quick refresher, the skin’s undertone refers to the subtle tint it has and can be classified as warm, cool, neutral, or olive.
- Those with warm undertones, meaning that their skin leans a little towards yellow, often have the easiest time rocking green hair, which is a shade that naturally has both green and blue tones in it. Neutral, warm, and cool green shades alike can be very flattering, so you can play around, change things up, and experiment with all kinds of different color combinations.
- The same applies to those with neutral skin that doesn’t lean towards either yellow or pink, who can look really amazing with any shade of green hair.
- Those with cool skin, which has a lot of pink or red in it, need to be a little more careful with green hair, since pink is just a more subdued red that sits opposite green on the color wheel. This means that green hair can bring out the pinkishness or redness in your skin. Cool green shades like teal and seafoam are usually more flattering, but if you have your heart set on a more intense true green, consider adding it to the ends, and keep the strands around your face a more flattering color.
- Green shades are even more difficult to wear if you have skin that is tinted slightly orange, which is usually the result of a tanning habit rather than a natural undertone. In that case, cool green hair colors don’t work at all, and neutral greens are difficult as well. Warm greens like olive, chartreuse, and lime are going to work best, but they’re still not going to be necessarily flattering.
- Finally, there are those with olive skin, which has just a hint of greenness to it. The great thing about green hair is that it will usually have a subduing effect on olive skin, making it appear clearer and more neutral. Neutral, cool, and olive greens will all work well, but lime greens can be difficult.
Photos via @supvalerie, Ulta, Amazon