Some use dark blonde hair dye as a transitional shade when going from dark hair to light hair or vice versa, while for others, it’s the go-to color in summer or autumn. It looks awesome alone, but it also works in a balayage. In this article, we’ll recommend a few of our favorite at-home dark blonde hair dye kits for dyeing your hair and even explain how you can choose the most flattering shade of dark blonde hair dye for your skin tone.
In this article:
- Our Picks for the Best Dark Blonde Hair Dyes
- How to Choose the Best Dark Blonde Hair Color for Your Skin Tone?
Our Picks for the Best Dark Blonde Hair Dyes
Looking for the best dark blonde hair dye to color your hair at home? Here you have five options to try!
1. Clairol Nice ‘N Easy Root Touch-Up in Dark Blonde 7
If you’re hoping for a golden dark blonde hair dye that has just a hint of warmth, you can’t go wrong with Clairol’s Dark Blonde 7. It’s not overly warm, so it’s a good shade choice for those with warm, olive, and neutral undertones, and the shade can even work to lighten the hair.
This little kit is intended for root touch-ups, so it comes with a brush, but it could also work if you’d like to do your own ultra-subtle balayage. The dye takes just ten minutes to work, although if you are starting out with extremely dark hair, you may want to lighten it with some bleach first. Buy it at Ulta!
2. L’Oréal Paris Excellence Créme Permanent Hair Color in 7G Dark Golden Blonde
This is another one of the best dark blonde hair dyes to try. It’s a neutral blonde shade that gives the hair a marvelous golden cast and can even lighten medium brown hair. The formula has conditioning effects, so it keeps the hair soft, and it can even cover those pesky gray hairs.
The set comes with gloves and a collagen-infused conditioning treatment, but you will need your own hair dye brush. We’d recommend 7½ A if you prefer a cooler dark blonde shade. Get it from Amazon!
3. Garnier Nutrisse Ultra Color Nourishing Hair Color Creme in Icing Swirl BY1
This dark blonde hair dye is intended specifically to help you achieve a gorgeous and easy-to-maintain dark blonde balayage. Icing Swirl is a golden shade with just a bit of warmth that has serious lightening effects, so it can work even on dark brown hair. The kit comes with a special brush to help you get the balayage effect and an anti-brass conditioner that keeps the hair golden rather than coppery. It is available at Amazon.
4. L’Oréal Paris Superior Preference Fade-Defying + Shine Permanent Hair Color in UL63 Hi-Lift Gold Brown
L’Oréal knows how to make great at-home hair color kits, so this is another fantastic choice for dark blonde hair dye from the French brand. This permanent hair dye kit works even on very dark brown or black hair, to turn it into a deep and golden dark blonde shade that borders on light brown. It’s not intended for gray coverage, though if you only have a few grays, it will blend with them nicely. The set even includes a conditioner to keep your hair shiny! Order it online from Amazon!
5. Garnier Nutrisse Ultra Coverage Hair Color in Deep Dark Natural Blonde Candied Cashew 700
If you have stubborn grays, this is the best dark blonde hair dye kit to pick up. It’s a kit that will lightly deepen light blonde and gray hair, but it can also slightly lighten medium brown hair, to achieve a shade that is somewhere between gold and caramel. The dye itself is infused with avocado, shea, and olive oil in order to nourish and moisturize the hair, so it will feel soft even after you dye it. Find it on Amazon!
How to Choose the Best Dark Blonde Hair Color for Your Skin Tone?
As with most other hair colors, dark blonde hair color can have different undertones, which can interact with the coloring of the skin in different ways. For dark blonde, the main two categories are ash blonde, which is a dark blonde hair color with a cool undertone that looks a little grayer, and honey blonde, which is a dark blonde hair color with a warm undertone that looks a little more amber or golden and, in some instances, can be nearly a ginger shade.
When it comes to skin undertones, the main two categories are also cool and warm. However, in this instance, cool skin actually looks a little more reddish or pink, while warm skin looks more yellow.
Those with olive undertones can skew either more neutral or more yellow but with a greenish tint, and finally, those with neutral undertones simply have beige skin. For those with darker skin tones, sometimes the undertone can also be a little more blue rather than olive.
- If you are in doubt, a cool dark blonde hair color is the best choice, since while it is a cool tone as far as blonde hair goes, it’s actually fairly neutral when compared to other colors. As a result, it flatters all skin tones, including cool, warm, olive, and neutral.
- As dark blonde hair colors get warmer, however, they stop being as flattering to those with cool and neutral undertones. Those with warm yellow undertones to their skin can usually wear warm dark blonde hair without any issues since there is a natural harmony between the color of the skin and the color of the hair.
- The honey shade of the hair can emphasize pinkness in the skin in a way that doesn’t flatter cool undertones, while it can make neutral and olive skin tones look dull or sallow. It is possible to counter these effects with glowy or bronzy makeup, but in reality, it is easier to choose a more neutral dark blonde hair color instead.
- For those with olive skin, a more golden warm shade can work nicely, but as the hair skews towards ginger, it starts emphasizing the olive in an unflattering way.
Undertones are the hard part, but let’s talk about the actual skin tone!
- When it comes to those with light skin, it’s hard to go wrong with dark blonde hair, since you still get a nice contrast from the hair being a little darker than your skin tone.
- It gets complicated for those with medium and tan skin tones since a solid dark blonde hair color can be too close to your skin tone and will end up washing you out. However, the easy solution to that is to rock a look with a variety of highlights and lowlights, so there is more variety or to choose a shade of dark blonde that is exactly a shade or two lighter than your skin tone.
- Finally, for those with dark skin tones, dark blonde hair will often register as just blonde. If you’d like to avoid an extreme contrast, you can keep your roots dark with a balayage or hand-painted color, but if you like a bit of drama, don’t feel constrained – even the extreme contrast can look stunning.
Photos via @stemsalon, Amazon