Whoever said you aren’t supposed to wear white after Labor Day clearly didn’t have a killer little white dress hanging in her closet. The little white dress is a super versatile fashion piece that is no longer reserved for brides-to-be or Marilyn Monroe impersonators.
In fact, a little white dress that you love can be your go-to all year round with the right layers and accessories. Finding the perfect outfit and occasion to rock a little white dress may seem out of reach, but once you nail this look, you’ll feel even more like the goddess you are.
We’ve picked out our 15 favorite little white dresses to nail this fashion staple. Not sure which is right for you? We’ve also created a guide to help you choose the best white dress for your shape and style.
Like any trend, there are dos and don’ts – so we’ll also break those down to help you avoid a white dress disaster (we’re looking at you, sheer fabric and black underwear). Last but not least, we’ll help you find the best occasion to take your little white dress out for a spin.
Little White Dress Outfit Ideas & Tips: Contents
- 15 Best Little White Dresses to Get Your Hands on
- Choosing the Best Little White Dress for You
- 5 Tips for Styling Your Little White Dress
- White Dress Outfit Ideas for Any Occasion
15 Best Little White Dresses to Get Your Hands on
From sweet casual styles to sophisticated lace designs you can wear to the club, these are the best little white dresses in the fashion industry now!
1. Little White Pintuck Dress
It’s no secret that Revolve has mastered the tie-front trend, and this little white dress is no exception. With a deep V-neckline and lacey details, this dress would be the perfect option for an outdoor music festival or night on the town. Pair it with strappy sandals for a boho vibe or stilettos for a special occasion. Shop it now at Revolve!
2. Sweetheart Little White Dress
Reformation is a sustainable clothing company taking the world (and the little white dress game) by storm. This mini-dress features a lace-up front that is somehow prairie-bohemian and extremely sexy. Your go-to when you feel like showing a little skin without going too over the top! It’s available at Nordstrom!
3. Major Tea Little White Dress
This mini white dress from fashion brand Majorelle is super feminine and romantic. It has an off-the-shoulder top with an elastic neckline and sleeves for extra comfort. This look could easily be dressed up or down, but the lace detailing definitely makes it feel a bit more on the dressy side. You can shop this style at Revolve!
4. Pinstripe Little White Dress
The Rory dress from Ulla Johnson is a total classic. It’s a super comfortable cotton long-sleeve style that hits just above the knee. The blue and metallic pinstripes throughout give it a little extra glam while still being totally office appropriate. It’s a look you could rock any day of the week! This little white dress is available at Forward online with free shipping!
5. Embroidered Eyelet Little White Dress
Another stunner from Revolve, the Kate little white dress has lace eyelet detailing and versatile tie sleeves that could be worn off the shoulder or as straps. You’ll want to wear it to your next party or coffee date. Super romantic, and the loose shape would be flattering on most body types. It’s 100% cotton and available online at Revolve!
6. Golden Embroidered Little White Dress
This embroidered cotton dress from Juliet Dunn takes the trend up a notch with golden detailing and a layered skirt. Pair it with sneakers or sandals for a casual look or dress it up with black or gold heels. The A-line silhouette is super flattering, and the cotton material couldn’t be more comfortable. Shop it online at MatchesFashion.
7. Ethereal Little White Dress
If you’re ready to nail the classic simple little white dress look, this is the dress you’ve been looking for. It’s a cotton blend with semi-sheer billowing sleeves and a flattering shape that features a mid-V neckline. The simplicity of this LWD makes it extremely versatile, and the long sleeves make it super easy to carry over from season to season. Pick up yours online at Revolve!
8. Broderie-Anglaise Little White Dress
This pleated broderie-anglaise dress from Self Portrait is truly one of a kind. The asymmetrical neckline and layered details make this a real statement piece. For a rocker vibe, pair with metallic accessories and your favorite boots. For a more feminine look, pair with colorful shoes and a structured handbag. Shop the look at Farfetch!
9. Spaghetti Strap LWD
The Brinley little white dress from Revolve won’t break the bank but it will make you look stunning at your next event. It has adjustable straps, subtle star detailing, and feminine ruffling for an extremely romantic look. Perfect for a date night or special event! Shop it at Revolve!
10. Business Lady-Approved LWD
Calling all girl bosses and all around rockstars. This Fleur De Mal little white dress might be one of our pricier picks but for good reason. She’s gorgeous. This double-breasted gown can take you from the catwalk to the boardroom. Pair with a slick ponytail or bold lips for extra power. Shop it online at Forward!
11. Button-Up Little White Dress
Another eco-friendly option from Reformation, this linen mini white dress features a completely button-down front. So you can decide how subtle or sexy you want to be. The A-line structure makes it flattering for all body types, and the ivory color is a great option for most skin tones. Even better? It has pockets! Shop it now at Nordstrom!
12. Ruffled Bohemian Little White Dress
This lace dress from Zimmermann is giving us all the boho feels – every single one. It features super cute dot and eyelet detailing with a neckline that can be worn on or off the shoulders. If you’re willing to spend a little extra for the best, this is your answer. Shop it now online at MatchesFashion!
13. Minimalist Little White Dress
For a more polished and structured look, go for this pleated little white dress from Khaite. The silhouette is pure elegance, with a V-neckline, pleated skirt, and billowing sleeves. We’re sure you’ll find plenty of reasons to take this out of your closet. It’s now for sale at Net-a-Porter.
14. Button-Front Linen Little White Dress
This linen and cotton button-front little white dress from Moon River may be sold out – but it still makes the list! That’s how good it is. Get on the waiting list now, and thank us later. This dress is pretty much the reason the little white dress trend is back in style right now. It’s classic, it’s elegant, it’s extremely fun. This dress features a button-down front, tie waist, and short sleeves. Keep an out on Nordstrom for a restock!
15. Vintage Little White Dress
This last pick from Free People is probably the most versatile on our list. Just check out the product photos to see all the ways you could wear this style. Button it up to the collar and wear a slip underneath to be office-ready. Undo the buttons and your hairstyle for a weekend look. We love how soft and romantic this little white dress is while style being edgy and relevant. Shop it now at Free People!
Choosing the Best Little White Dress for You: How to Know When You’ve Found “The One”
Sure, you’ve seen some cute pictures on Instagram and Pinterest. But how do you really know if the little white dress trend is for you? Well, the good news is that this trend is for everyone. Yes, everyone. Just like the LBD (little black dress), the LWD is here to stay.
Here’s how to know when you’ve found the perfect one for you.
• It doesn’t wash you out. The perfect little white dress should complement your skin tone. If your complexion is slightly more pale or fair, you’ll want to try out ivory and cream shades. This will keep you from looking washed out. For darker skin tones, going closer to a true white will accentuate your color and make your skin look amazing.
• It’s the right fabric for the occasion. If you’re looking for a beachy cover-up, going with a flowy cotton maxi is a no-brainer. Linen is also a great material for a more casual look. However, if you need a little white dress for the office or a special event, you’re going to want to choose richer fabrics like wool or silk.
• It matches what’s already in your wardrobe. If you’re a gal who loves graphic tees and combat boots, a lacey white dress probably isn’t for you. But you might rock a vintage satin white slip dress over your favorite band tee. It’s all about finding a dress that truly matches your style and will pair well with the shoes and accessories already in your closet.
• It looks great on your body type. Little white dresses come in all shapes and sizes. When choosing the right one for you, take a look at the silhouettes already in your closet that look great on you. Clingy fabrics and shapes usually don’t flatter anyone.
Going for an A-line or cinched waist design might be a better choice for this trend. Look for photos of people similar to your body type rocking this trend. Decide what you like and don’t like about these photos before shopping for your LWD.
5 Tips for Styling Your Little White Dress
You’ve finally found the perfect little white dress and are ready to style it with the rest of your wardrobe. Here are some of our best tips to keep in mind when it comes to shoes, accessories, and care.
• Plan your undergarments accordingly. This probably goes without saying, but make sure you’ve picked out the right undergarments for your LWD. We suggest choosing nude tones for your skin color – especially if the dress isn’t a thick material. You can also pick up a cheap slip at Target or most local clothing stores.
Make sure you check the opacity (a.k.a. “can you see my underwear?”) in daylight as well as indoors. Lots of white dresses may look fine in the dressing room but turn see-through when you get out in the sun.
• Go easy on the color. White is a neutral color that pairs best with other neutrals. For a natural look, choose accessories and shoes in warm browns, tans, or golds. However, avoid pairing your LWD with white accessories and white shoes, unless it’s your wedding.
On the flip side, white is also the perfect canvas for your boldest fashion statements. So if you’ve been dying to take those turquoise earrings or red stilettos out for a spin, this is your chance.
• When in doubt, pair with a denim jacket. If you ever get stuck trying to throw an outfit together, a denim jacket can usually save you. Denim looks amazing with a little white dress. To make a fancy dress more casual, go for a light denim. To keep your outfit dressed up, opt for a darker, tailored denim.
• Less is more. When it comes to a white dress, the key to this trend is all in the simplicity. If you’re going to add color, do it with one fun accessory or colorful shoes. Don’t go overboard with the added details. Instead of adding extra pieces to your white dress outfit, try out a new hairstyle or makeup look.
• Layer it up. The little white dress can take you from season to season with the right layers. It looks great over a cozy, cashmere turtleneck or paired with a knit cardigan. You can also throw on a slouchy knit sweater for a top-and-skirt vibe. Have fun and don’t be afraid to explore different combinations with your wardrobe!
Bonus Tip: When wearing your little white dress, don’t forget to pack a stain remover stick (like Tide-to-Go) and some tampons or pads in your purse for unexpected emergencies. Trust us on that one.
White Dress Outfit Ideas for Any Occasion
The little white dress is perhaps one of the most versatile fashion staples you can wear absolutely everywhere and every time. But how do you put together appropriate white dress outfits for each occasion?
LWD at a Party
We already know the little white dress is the go-to for bridal showers and the like. For a less themed occasion, choose a white dress with lace detail or pair it with dainty gold jewelry to give it a dressed-up vibe. Pairing the look with a bold, dark lip also keeps the trend from appearing too “saintly” and will help turn up the glam.
Little White Dress at the Office
To get your LWD office-ready, add a classic accessory like a leather belt cinched at the waist or a structured handbag. You can also pair with a navy blue or gray blazer for a more professional look. Keep your office shoes simple and unfussy by opting for black or nude heels or ballet flats.
On the Weekend
When you’re in the mood for a more casual look, the little white dress is one of your most versatile finds. For a boho moment, pair with strappy leather sandals and an on-trend rattan bag – even better if it’s vintage!
For a more street-style vibe, throw on a distressed leather or jean jacket and pair with your favorite sneakers and a market tote. For a more preppy feel, pair with a cute knit cardigan and ballet flats.
Now you’re ready to go into the world and rock your little white dress with confidence! Be bold, have fun, and don’t forget the nude underwear.
Photos via Instagram