Depending on what a person might have believed, people judge or criticize where and how you should wear your rings. Their opinion about the meaning of rings on fingers might be true, just like it might be false.
Have you been making assumptions about the meanings of rings yourself? They might be wrong – you might think the use of rings has its roots in one or more cultures, tribes or beliefs of some people far away… but you are not sure yet. Or you might think it is just fun, for beautification, or a silly tradition that we take too seriously.
Whichever category you fall under, we will let you know the symbolic meanings of rings on fingers, so you can stop making assumptions like your old self (well, that is nothing wrong with assumptions).
Meanings of Rings on Fingers: Contents
• The Truth About the Symbolism of Rings
• Meanings of Rings on the Pinky (Little) Finger
• Meanings of Rings on the Ring Finger
• Meaning of Rings on the Middle Finger
• Meanings of Rings on the Index Finger
• Meanings of Rings on the Thumb
• Tips For Wearing Rings
The truth is that rings are beautiful, and the purpose of wearing them infers meanings across six factors:
• Marriage and relationships
• Personal preference
But that is a general idea of the symbolism of rings. What are the meanings of rings on fingers?
For some, the reasons for wearing a ring on any of the hand are the same. They choose to wear rings on their less dominant fingers. The right hand is the hand most people carry out most actions on. The left can be called the ‘thinking’ hand… but for most of us, it is recessive.
In general, what a ring means on the left hand is different from what it means on the right one.
Across many cultures, this finger has no cultural or religious meaning. The finger is at one end of the hand, and so does not disturb the use of the index finger or the whole palm.
Regardless of the hand, pinky fingers mean you are a good negotiator. And the ring symbolizes intuition, communication, and quick intelligence. Some even say it represents memory. All these are packed together to infer you are – or might be – a good negotiator.
Self-confident and creative people are known to wear rings on this finger as well. Once you put a ring on this finger, we can say you are resourceful, good at persuasion, and possess the gift of eloquent speech.
Astrologically, it represents the planet Mercury. Ironically, Mercury is the same name given to a liquid at room temperature. In this case, the ring is used as a symbol of intelligence and persuasion.
Left Pinky Finger
Here are some of the meanings a ring on the left pinky finger infers:
• Marital Meaning: If a man should wear rings – often two – on his left pinky finger, he is a married man. The ring below indicates his marriage while the one above is called a signet ring and is related to the origin of this tradition. Over time, this style has been on the decline and currently on the brink of extinction. And although the exact date is unknown, the tradition has been practised since the 19th century.
• Connections With Crimes: A pinky ring – on any of the two hands, in fact – can be associated with the mafia. It is said to be related to organized crime – and some famous drama, like The Sopranos, drummed this into our memory.
• As Just Accessories: The left pinky finger is short and tiny and wouldn’t need a big ring. It is the right finger for just adding a ring as jewelry if that is all you want. Because of its small size, the finger will command attention and bring out the beauty in you.
Right Pinky Finger
This is classified as a ring of professional status. For a graduate of ecology, engineering, or any other esteemed discipline, a ring on the right pinky finger is a symbol of the degree acquired or professional prominence. These rings are made of iron, stainless steel, or any metal at all.
Chinese philosophy believes a ring on the right pinky finger means being a good follower. And it means a good understanding of others’ wishes and ideas.
This is officially the relationship finger, as rings worn on any of the ring fingers stand for relationships, love, but also creativity. This is familiar.
Left Ring Finger
In the Western world, it is the finger a couple would wear the rings of their union on. However, the meaning is not only about getting married.
• Marriage: When you are married legally, there should be a ring on the ring finger of your left hand. This is true for many Western countries that associate it with the Roman belief that your blood runs through the vein of your left ring finger to the heart. But what if you are not married? Then, it means…
• Engaged or Romantic Promise: Someone has promised to get married to you… and the ring symbolizes this promise. In many occasions, the two engaged individuals are to wear the engagement ring around to serve as a reminder that they have a marriage promise to keep and also to tell others they are already taken.
• Abstinence: For a young person who is neither engaged nor involved in a promised marriage, the reason could be to abstain from sex. In this case, we can call it a chastity or purity ring.
One thing about the left ring finger is that it is associated with relationships. In other cultures and beliefs around the globe, it is associated with the Moon, beauty, and creativity.
Right Ring Finger
Just like the left ring finger is reserved for marital identification, the right ring finger is reserved for marriage in some countries (such countries include Germany, Russia, and India).
Similar to the left ring finger, it might mean contentment and abstinence from relationships for someone who isn’t in a relationship.
Chinese philosophy, on the other hand, proposes a different approach. The yang (the right hand) is a sign of teaching ability; you can easily and effectively teach others problem-solving skills. The yin (the left hand) means a relationship went sour, you are divorced, or you are experiencing widowhood.
Pertaining the symbolic meaning, it is related to the Moon, too.
This finger is in the middle and often represents a balance on both hands. They are the oldest of all fingers and could signify responsibility, justice, beauty and self-analysis.
Left Middle Finger
The ring has a simple meaning. It is for beauty; it is for fun. It symbolizes a sense of beauty and responsibility. And if you are the type that is self-conscious and engages in self-analysis, this is the finger to place your ring(s) on.
If you are pondering the question of which finger to wear a ring on without raising people’s brows or getting too many questions (questions that might be awkward or embarrassing to answer), put the ring on this finger. The meanings aren’t explicit; you can attach your own meaning to it.
Right Middle Finger
Astronomically, it symbolizes the planet Saturn. It represents a balance because it is the middle finger.
Chinese people claim it is associated with being able to make one’s own decision. You are qualified to analyze the decisions to be wrong or right and can make the right choice out of the two.
Concurrently, wear rings on this finger to show class. According to psychology, wearers of rings on this finger want the attention; they want others to give them the attention.
A ring on one of the index fingers means authority. It means you are – or are trying to be – a leader, and you have a huge self-esteem.
Left Index Finger
The astronomical meaning of this finger is Jupiter. The ring used on this hand symbolizes a resting place, and this makes it connected to status.
For those who love family, the left index finger (and the right) is used to wear signets, rings, and family ornaments.
Do you remember those queens in classic films? They wore the rings on the left index finger for the men to ‘kiss.’ This might be old-fashioned, but history cannot be forgotten.
If you want to show off, wear a classy and expensive ring on your left index finger for people to notice and appreciate it.
Right Index Finger
Some cultures will accept a ring on this finger as a symbol of marriage. Jewish culture, for instance, believes this. A Jew bride would wear a plain gold band ring on the right index finger before marriage. Once the marriage tradition is completed, she may (and may not) switch the ring to the left ring finger.
When you are not Jewish and do not believe in this tradition, a ring on this finger simply means a ‘ring.’ But a plain gold band on the right index finger might attract questions. While you are on the market, some might stop you to ask, “Excuse me, Miss. Are you Jewish?” Successfully, you have delivered the wrong message.
On the other hand, it might mean thirst for power. The willingness to be pompous and exhibit a fake personality is associated with this finger.
With the yin and yang concept, it means the tenacity to lead others – on the left index finger as the yin. On the right, it means obedience and humility to learn from others.
Thumbs are associated with messages of willpower. A ring on the right thumb means you are assertive and bold. You have dreams but often doubtful. But a ring on the left thumb is just, like we have said, a symbol of inner conflict.
Confident. Fashionable. Those are some of the remarks we can say if you wear a chunky ring on your left thumb. You are not inferring anything about your relationship.
However, ancient Greece has a different inference, as it is associated with men. And women wearing rings on any of the thumbs are marked with manly strength and manly dignity. For women, it indicates tenacity, willpower, and self-assertion. This is mainly because no Greek god shares a name with this finger.
Furthermore, in the world today, a ring on the left thumb of a woman is associated with having manly characters. Such characters could be stubbornness or hot-temperedness. Alternatively, it might mean the female has dissatisfaction with intimate parts of life.
A ring on the right thumb has the same meaning as putting it on the left thumb. For women, it indicates a level of dissatisfaction with the intimate parts of life or a combination of some tomboyish attitudes and stubbornness.
The Chinese philosophy of yin and yang has a different judgment. It is believed that things that are opposite in meaning may have complementary and interconnected meaning. These opposing things are called yin and yang… and with this belief, the ring on the yin (left) thumb represents assertiveness. It means otherwise on the yang (right) thumb: flexible nature and fast adaptation to people’s will.
We know you want to look good when wearing rings on whichever finger(s) you choose. It is a good decision, and you do not have to look awkward or weird when using rings for another purpose other than beauty. For whatever reason you deem rings worthy of wearing, beauty can be achieved either as a perk or the cardinal reason.
Here are our tips that will help:
• Are you a short lady? Avoid rings that are chunky, have big designs, or have oversized embellishments attached to them. It is a complicating attachment for your short fingers.
• Choose oval-shaped rings if you are confused about what shapes to select. They fit all finger types. They look cute, and the finger is sort of stretched beautifully, just like in the case of certain nail colors that make nails look longer.
• If you are not a demonic or some to-be-feared goddess, do not wear many rings; like ten rings on ten fingers – that is too much!
• However, it is your choice. Ring parties are very trendy now, which means you can wear multiple rings on your fingers at a time and look both classy and trendy. If it pleases you, use it. Just ensure the sets of rings have a similar design or a thing in common. It could be the design, the color or the shape. If the rings have a similar design with your earrings or necklace, the process turns into a win-win look for us all.
• Wear small rings on the middle fingers. Also, chunky or big rings will interfere with the flexibility of the index finger.
• And please, do not forget to wear rings for your preference. Not everyone will get the message. And that is fine. You are not wearing it for ‘everyone’ in the first place… or are you?
Photos via @collagevintage, @aylin_koenig, @vivaluxuryblog, @phoebesoup, @sincerelyjules