The best hairstyles for women over the age of 50 are often dismissed, while the ladies opt for something that is less alluring and more on the short and bland side. We have shaken things up a bit and come up with a lovely list of 51 haircuts and hairstyles for women over 50 in age that are chic, lovely, and make her feel like a woman in her prime. After all, there is still half a century to go, no?
A woman is beautiful no matter what her age, and like good wine, aging only adds to the effects of that loveliness. Short hair, medium length or long, you can feel amazing while celebrating life with children and grandchildren. You are a model for your little ones and those around you.
But most of all, take a look at celebrities over the age of 50 and how they are the epitome of class, style, good taste and incredible physical shape. Age is no hindrance for looking your best, so pick up some hair dye and grab those scissors for a sizzling and flattering look to your strands.
Best Hair Colors and Hairstyles for Women Over 50
To bring out the grace and elegance in them, women over 50 are advised to stick to much simpler haircuts and hairstyles, such as a bob, a pixie or a shoulder-length cut. Layers can make things more interesting, if your hair is thick enough to support this style, otherwise give your preference to clean cuts and play with the right hair colors to add more brightness to your tresses.
To start, you will have to take a look at your hair color. For the best hairstyles for women over 50, you will want to avoid making certain color mistakes. These include:
• Choosing a color that is too far off from your natural shade. Remember that your natural hair color is the best to complement your skin tone and not look artificial. You will want to go two shades lighter or two shades darker, according to hair color specialists, in order to keep that natural effect. Anything else is bound to make you look older or simply out of style.
• Going way too dark. Whether it is by accident through leaving the color on for too long or it is simply because you want to go as dark as possible, the problem here is that your greys will show and there will be a rather dead effect to it. So black is almost blue, they say. You want there to be a lightness and warmth to your hair, so it might be better to stick to a dark chestnut coloring instead, to keep the positives of going dark.
• Going way too light in the shade. A woman looks like she is aging faster than reality when she has very pale and ashy hair coloring. Instead, she should opt for something that is in between being too warm and too cool, but matches beautifully with a skin tone that has already become more sallow at the age of 50.
• Adding color product to damaged hair. Really, there is everything wrong with frying already fried hair. Get a trim, grab one of the top haircuts for women over 50 described below, and simply keep it nice and healthy if you plan on highlights and adding youthful hues.
If you have brittle hair, protein treatments for hair might help. There are lots of homemade recipes for keeping hair nice and strong as well, with coconut oil for hair and avocados often among the hair mask ingredients.
• Doing the highlights all wrong. When a teenager does streaks, she can get away with it. She looks foolish, of course, but she is young and naïve and knows little of classiness or style. When you are a woman over the age of 50, you should be exuding the knowledge and skills obtained throughout the years, and that includes knowing that blending in highlights is the right way to go, instead of tacky streaks that scream rock punk. Balayage is what you are looking for.
• Hair is washed too often. Don’t wash your hair every day. Actually, you can even try to go for every third day or so in order to prevent stripping your hair of its color and moisture. You can be lazy and simply use dry shampoo.
Also, make sure the last rinse is with cold water to keep as much of the shine to your tresses as possible. You are already losing the youthful effects; you do not need to make it go any faster.
So if you are following the rules for hair care correctly, hairstyles for women over 50 should be easy breezy and perfectly beautiful. To figure out your undertones and thus match the color, look to your veins. If they look blue to you, then you have a cooler undertone, while green states a warmer effect.
You need to make sure that the color of your hair and that of your skin are complementary, since having too big a contrast would be jarring and hard to look at. In order to effectively have an age reversing hue, use our tips:
• Classic red is for those with fair skin and cool undertones, adding warmth to the skin and vibrancy to the visage. There is certain radiance in red hair and you can look positively stunning.
• Multi-tone blonde hair is great for those with fair skin and cool undertones as well, adding texture and making you appear more interesting overall, while the multiple tones make for a thicker look. Angular features are also softened thus, particularly if aging has reduced the natural softness of your curves.
• Soft copper colors are great for those with fair skin and warmer undertones, softening the effects of aging, particularly around the eyes and lips. It is also quite a sexy yet classy color.
• For the blonde looks on those with fair skin and warmer undertones, the sun-kissed ombre of Julia Roberts is what comes to mind. It helps to create a look that focuses on volume, while managing to fill out the hollowed out areas on the face, particularly if you add waves to the hairstyle for women over 50. The beachy effect is just lovely.
• A light golden blonde is perfect for those with fair skin and warm undertones, giving you the celebrity hairstyle you always wanted. It is vibrant and gives you a nice glow. Certainly worth looking into as you get older as well.
• Medium toned skin with cool undertones looks amazing with a soft black coloring, which brings out a contrasting fresh face with a healthy look to it. Do not go severe jet-black, but one of the softer looks that rather remind us of Snow White.
• For the medium skin with warm undertones, a warm color must also be used, with the golden brown springing forth as the best in the series. It looks natural, is beautifully warm, and perfectly flattering.
• A multiple tinted brunette coloring looks great with both medium and darker skin, especially with the warm undertones. An olive skin tone requires a natural effect, meaning going too light would hurt the loveliness of the package. You do not want to look fake.
• Similarly, caramel tips come in handy for highlighting the warmth of the darker skin’s undertones. There is something very youthful about lightening the edges of your tresses that fall lovingly over your shoulders and down your back.
• Finally, dark skin with cool undertones looks incredible in a dark chocolate hue that is all about adding shine and richness to your hair that you cannot see otherwise. It is perfect for softening any imperfections on your face as well.
Hairstyle and Haircut Ideas for Women Over 50
Now that you have adhered to the rules of caring for your hair and chosen the right color to complement your skin tone and personal style, it is time to choose from the 51 best hairstyles and haircuts for women over 50 to finish with your youthful transformation. Which is our favorite?
1. Razor Cut German Red
With volume its main objective and a gorgeous balayage of red tones, the German red color is wonderful with the razor cut short look, complete with a thick, side-swept fringe. This is for the professional woman who prefers a quick styling in the morning and some character to her hairstyle.
2. Blonde Pixie Cut
Going especially short with the hair, and a very light blonde at that, this hairstyle is for the woman over 50 who embraces her whites and adds a touch of fairy to them. It is a platinum blonde we are looking at, almost ash in color.
3. Medium Length Soft Gold
Soft golden highlights add to the wavy shoulder length haircut here, with lighter ends and a gentle look. It brings the age down to around 35 or 40, which is great as a hairstyle for women over 50.
4. Medium Fringed Lowlights
There are highlights, which are often used, but it is the lowlights that are especially interesting in this case. An ashy darker blonde, this is an interesting haircut for women over 50 that falls to the shoulders, is straight and tousled, looking chic but rather perfect for a woman looking to make her age ambiguous.
5. Long Fringed Block Coloring
Blonde on top, reddish brown towards the ends, this fringed look is interesting to say the least, going dark underneath and keeping lighter on top. It is especially youthful and can bring out the young adult in you.
6. Side-Swept Highlighted Short Hair
There is a sense of maturity with the side sweep, while the blow out on chin-length highlighted blonde locks adds a touch of youthfulness, effectively, bringing your age down to the 30s or 40s maximum.
7. Added Grey Highlights
We recommend going shoulder-length with this one, as you spot a grey transition in your tresses that are properly cut and blown out with lovely layers for a truly gorgeous effect. The added fringe over the brows only softens the features more.
8. Balayage for Women Over 50
For the best hairstyles for women over 50 who have a special occasion to attend, bringing in major highlights and lowlights to shorter, curled and straightened hair is a must. Volume is the key here. The asymmetrical cut adds beautifully to the final effect.
9. Kris Jenner Glam
A darker colored short pixie with a side sweep to the hair means that both the cut and the color bring a youthful glow to the face. With some great genetics as well, you will look way too young to be a grandmother.
10. High Contrast Ombre Balayage
Barely chin length, the side-swept hair here is in beautiful balayage, the roots very dark and the tips nearly white. It is amazingly youthful and what one would say “cool” too with ease. The youngsters around you will definitely be jealous of your sparkle here. Modern women deserve to be acknowledged when with taste.
11. Sun-Kissed Red Shine
Shoulder length, blow dried perfectly and with a lovely reddish copper tint is all you need for a warm effect on your fair skin. Women’s hairstyles over the age of 50 could be super lovely if only they get that color right.
12. Beachy Blonde Balayage
Pixie cuts and greying golden balayage look rather interesting together as a rather good hairstyle for women over 50. Beachy hair and tousled in the layered cut, the look is fitting for one who is both youthful but confident in her age as well.
13. Warm Red Pixie
This hairstyle idea for women over 50 is about a slight tousle, lots of hairspray and a rose blonde color that is heavy on the rose that is simply too lovely to pass up. Add a pixie cut and side sweep to the mix and you have a gorgeous final product with that unruly hair of yours. Perfect for women of any age.
14. Curling Blonde and Chic
For the fun and sassy woman over the age of 50 who prefers to embrace herself as she is at the moment without letting go of her personality, curls and waves to a light blonde hair color seem like the right thing, with the hair itself cut to around just under the ears. Add in red frames and red lipstick for a beauty look that screams classy sass.
15. Short and Blonde
A pixie cut that is all straight and with a lovely fade to the hair that is softly blended in, this haircut is for the ladies who hold major power and know how to exercise it in major style. The light blonde coloring amps up the effect if the skin’s fairness is a good match.
16. Platinum with Grey Bob
If you like short bobs that are perfectly blown out, while embracing a more youthful effect to your greys, consider going platinum blonde with beige and grey undertones. The effect will be mesmerizing and really makes for a sexy cougar look.
17. Razor Undercuts
Blonde with a darker base looks amazingly good on a razor undercut bob that adds volume and dimension to the overall look a woman over 50 is striving for. It easily shaves off 5-10 years from your age.
18. Simple Blonde Bob
Your natural slight wave to lovely blonde highlights on a chin-length bob looks quite lovely and is quite easy to manage as well. There is certain gentleness to carrying yourself in a similar haircut after the age of 50. The airs exuded are quite feminine.
19. Steel Magnolia Bob
Who says women’s hairstyles over the age of 50 cannot include mermaid hair? Super shiny and with a silver head, this steel magnolia bob is something the ladies can really pull off as they age, looking rather foxy while enjoying silver over dull grey hair.
20. Rainbow Streaks
You may be aging, but you once belonged to the ‘70s clan, where rainbow colors were a definite. Now, you go muted and gentler with strands highlighted in blonde to blueish grey over chestnut locks. There is a whole lot of youthfulness and very little succumbing to the societal pressures of what an aging woman’s hair should ideally look like.
21. Gentle Shoulder-Length Waves
Slightly to the side is the part here. A beautiful highlight is added to chestnut hair, while waves catch the light for the cooler blonde that is included. The shoulder length softens the face and brings out the outer beauty to match that, which is inside.
22. Golden Balayage
As we grey, golden colors that are a little on the cooler side are more and more common. However, a shoulder-length bob that has lovely layers and a gorgeous side sweep makes it look all the better. You will never show your real age with this especially classy look that can be worn during the day or night.
23. Waves Down Shoulders
While most of the looks already mentioned are super short, we decided to also include those that are slightly on the longer side, with gentle natural waves and a gorgeous balayage that teenagers would do just about anything for. It has a sense of maturity to go with its youthful nature within the blonde category.
24. Sunlight Balayage
Grey and white strands are everywhere in this particularly fitting sunlight balayage hairstyle for women over 50. Lovely simply does not cut it. This is a cut and color combination, down to the shoulders that exudes confidence and a sense of style.
25. Red Balayage
Coppery sunsets and autumn days come to mind with this particular color and cut combination, the longer bob appearing to have shadowy roots. Red balayage looks quite interesting and certainly would never give away a woman’s age past 50.
26. Beach Hair Balayage
When we think beachy waves, usually it is long hair that comes to mind. You can use this concept with a shorter bob that is all about root shadows and lovely highlights. It has a gentleness about it that also feels rather fresh. Perfect look for any woman with a sense of beach style! Babylights at their best!
27. Greying Blonde Highlights
For women over 50, thinning hair and fine strands might be a problem with the wrong color and cut. Platinum blonde with a touch of grey is perfect for covering up your aging look while still maintaining grace and beauty. A lovely short-in-the-back side parted look is just what the beauty doctor ordered for an aging woman.
28. Summer Blonde
At mid-length, the summer blonde hue of this simple cut is hard to pass up on. It is for the woman who has too much to do to care about styling it up, but still desires a youthful appearance with little maintenance. The light blonde coloring allows for the hiding of white hair, while the shoulder length brings out the young lady in you.
29. Red Spring Layers
A bronzing rose gold hair color to your volumized hair is simply lovely. Add short layers and thick bangs to the mix, while letting the tresses fall over the shoulders for a look that is just perfect for a night out. It is beautiful to say the least.
30. Rose Gold Pixie
Dark roots and light tips go hand in hand here on the pixie cut. It takes very little taking care of and looks quite youthful with its sunlight balayage. The rosy golden coloring is also made to match with the skin tone, brightening up the face.
31. Short and Grey
Grey on the crown and dark at the roots and along the back of the head! Short hair never looked so lovely in grey and keeps the aging process to a minimum while highlighting the beauty of a woman’s features as well as her charm. If you have additional piercings on your ears, it will only increase the coolness rating of this haircut for women over 50.
32. Textured Short Bob
Short hair with a blonde and grey tint, the ends at chin length and the tresses treated to a nice blow out looks pretty awesome as well. You can have fun with your hair no matter your age and this one certainly is not a bland look to try out. Texture in the highlights adds significantly to its allure.
33. Blushing Pink Bob
Have you thought of going a blush color for your short hair that is easier to maintain? Balayage in gentle pinks and greys makes for a color that lets you stand out while still fitting in perfectly in any society. You shall be the grandmother the little ones are very happy to call a fashion-forward woman.
34. Silver Bowl Cut
Straight hair with volume and a buzz to the nape gets a modern upgrade with this blue-purple-grey tone that easily stands out in the balayage color hairstyle pages. Make sure what you wear is just as fashion-savvy and futuristic as you have made your hair though.
35. Textured Blonde Bun
White blonde with grey balayage looks incredibly good when given curling texture, tendrils are left free to frame the face, and a braid is turned into a bun for its final effect. This look is classy, lovely, and fits perfectly with the ideal of a long-haired woman over the age of 50.
36. Dark Red Bowl Cut
A bowl cut with razed nape and perfectly straight strands is given a modern upgrade with dark coppery red balayage, the finish reminiscent of a nerdy high schooler who simply knows it all. You will appear intelligent and cultured with this particular hairstyle for women over 50.
37. Textured Short Cut
A beautiful short cut that is full of layers and lovely highlights that look quite natural is just what the beauty police have ordered. You can look youthful while embracing your intelligence through maturity. Plus, it is a play on dark and light, which catches the sunlight perfectly.
38. Shoulder-Length Grey Hair
Gentle waves mark the beauty of this lovely grey hairstyle perfect for women over 50. It allows you to revel in your greys while still looking young, with full volume and a character that speaks of poise and class.
39. Long Grey Balayage
Light and darker grey strands come together in a lovely flipped end long hairstyle, falling over the shoulders to the blades in the back. It gives you options of wrapping in a bun or typing it up, as well as leaving it down with its grey balayage standing out. Perfect for a woman who enjoys her healthy aging!
40. Island Blonde Lob
Cut to below chin length and painted a light platinum blonde, the vibes we get here are that of a woman who will be forever young. There is something to be said about hiding greys in a white blonde. Plus, the voluminous straight locks are too lovely to pass up on.
41. Silvery Blonde Cut
Do you prefer a neck-length bob that you can blow-dry to perfect but that is more of a silvery grey color than a blonde? This is probably the right look for you then, enjoying the lack of pigmentation to the maximum, while ensuring the hair on your head looks fresh and healthy throughout the day.
42. Brunette Lob with Fringe
A short lob with a disconnected fringe in a warm chestnut hue brings color into your face and adds a touch of risqué to your ‘do. It is a modern twist to a classic style, one of the best hairstyles for women over 50, which will forever be part of our repertoire.
43. Silver to White Short Haircut
With greyish silver roots and very white ends, this extra-short haircut looks pretty darling. Embrace your age and show off your style while making it truly easy to care for your hair. This is a great look and a pretty play on a grandmother’s classic ‘do.
44. Fresh Ice Blonde
Blonde so light it is almost white… textured and cut with a side fringe that looks truly lovely, this look is for the modern powerful woman who manages quite a bit in her life. Tint the brows dark for an even more youthful impression.
45. Angled Grey Cut
Silver at the crown leads to a head full of grey, blown out straight and cut at a lovely angle to perfectly frame the face and amplify the best of one’s features. Volume at the crown adds to its healthy look, while keeping it grey shows off a mature attitude. Great hairstyle for women over 50!
46. Simply Silver Hair
Cut in layers to make a V at the nape, this silver style is amplified with the use of silver shampoo and silver conditioner to keep up the highlights and remove potential brassiness from the hair. With the crown a lighter color, as well as the roots in general, there is a special shine to this simply greyish silver look.
47. Brunette with Blonde Highlights
If you want to keep a warmer chestnut coloring but at strands that shine under the sun, a gentle blonde highlight to the deeper dark brown makes perfect sense. Cut as a blown out bob with side fringe and a touch of layering, you can easily cover up those greys and look youthful while keeping to a shorter look.
48. Side Trim Short Bob
Darker blonde hair with a short bob that has had the sides and nape trimmed close to the skin make for an interesting hairstyle for women over 50. The modern effects add to a youthful appearance, while adding volume to the crown overs up the thinning strands.
49. Grey Ombre Bob
A lovely short bob with grey ombre hair, lighter on top and darker towards the nape, this is a great and simple hairstyle for women over 50. It allows the features to stand out more and instead of bringing down your age, it merely adds softness to your plainly perfect look, no matter how old you really are.
50. Polar Bear Ice
The grey and ice blonde combination of this angled bob reminds us of a polar bear in the Arctic actually and is great winter hair. Add volume to the style, cut at chin length and at a slight angle, and highlight to perfection.
51. Ivy Blonde Layered Lob
An angled cut, icy blonde highlights and beautifully dark lowlights; lots of layers and volume to the fringe… This is one of the best hairstyles for women over 50 you can find, one that can be created by a great stylist. You will look young and hip, while also happily presenting an intelligent and worldly person to those around you.
Photos via Instagram