We will furnish you with the process of making a unique French manicure that everyone, including Instagram, would love. The difference with American manicure has been revisited briefly as well. Learn how to do your own French manicure at home flawlessly, like a pro!
In this article:
- What Is French Manicure and What Is Its Origin?
- How Is French Nail Design Different from American Manicure?
- How to Do Your Own French Manicure
- French Manicure Tips for a Flawless Nail Art
- 5 French Manicure Kits for At-Home French Mani Experience
French manicure can have a nude base with crisp, white tips, or you could design it as a pink, (beige or nude) base tipped with pure white. And you can rock it on almost all occasions. It is beautiful, versatile and easy to make.
French manicure has not been invented in France. Like we said, its origin can be traced to the experiment of Mr Jeff Pink, the founder of Orly.
At a movie set, in the ’70s, the crew would like to change the color of an actress’ nail with each costume change she wore, and Pink found a solution. He created what would be a hot cake of manicure that the world would admire and demand like sweaters in winter. The French manicure is best at that point because it is fast and saves the crew a lot of time.
Some sources have a different story to tell. One says the father of modern cosmetics, Max Factor brought the look to live for the fashionistas of Paris in 1930. Another states the style was first used even earlier than that, as far back as 1800.
French nail designs usually have a solid white tip to a pinkish or nude base. And the nail shapes are usually squarer. It looks more complex.
The American manicure, on the other hand, has a white tip that isn’t solid but faint. The base is usually a cream or simply the skin color. It looks simple with a natural effect.
Like everything you will do to make you look beautiful, it must have a way to improve your appearance. It must, in fact, be safe and give you maximum benefit. Here is the process to have such with a French manicure.
Step 1: Prep Your Nails
- Clean your nails. Use nail polish remover to remove the old nail polish.
- Keep the nails long. French manicures are beautiful when your nails are long. So trim them not too short. Keep them long.
- If you would use acrylic nails (you know, it is more like adding extra length), then you can trim the nail short. The acrylic will add length to it later.
- File your nails to a square or round shape. The edge must be well trimmed and smooth. A nail file is the best tool here.
- Time to soften your cuticles. Pour some warm milk or olive oil or warm water in a bowl. Soak your fingers in it for three minutes minimum.
- With an orange stick, push back your cuticles. If there is any stubborn hangnail or clutter, push it back or cut it out with either a cuticle cutter or nail scissors.
- Have you done the above? Apply some cuticle oil on your cuticles.
Step 2: Apply Your Nail Polish
You should have a quality French manicure kit to get the best appearance and maximize the benefits. Our list of the best French manicure kits is your friend. It will help, definitely. So pick one from the coming sections and read on.
- Apply the base coat. The choice of base coat that is recommended for French manicure is cream, pale pink, or clear.
- Apply a stripe down the centre of your nail. Follow that with two stripes heading either side. Tilt the bottom of the polish forward; now paint from the cuticle towards the tip.
- Do these to all the nails.
- Add white nail polish. When applying white polish, stop right at the end of your nails’ white. Add the French nail tips choosing the best application method for you (discussed below).
- Let it dry. And add a second layer over the first, if you wish.
- Protect the surface of your manicured nails with a top coat.
Step 3: Adding the French Nail Tips
To add the tips there are different methods. All the methods are simple depending on what is convenient for you. Continue reading to find the suitable method for you.
Method 1: Using a Scotch Tape
For those that are poor painters, use this tape to get a perfect edge and tip.
- Cut a small length of the scotch tape. Place it on your finished nail, leaving the tip that you want to paint. The tape will be used to cover the bottom of each tip you want to paint. It will expose the little part (tip) that you will paint.
- Apply the white polish at the top of your nail. The tape will make the edge of the painted tip perfect and accurate even if you make a mistake.
- Let it dry, and remove the tape.
Method 2: Using a Moleskin Pad
If you want a rounded tip, this is your best choice. Buy a moleskin pad and try it.
- After you finished applying the nail color and it has dried, attach a moleskin pad on your nail. Expose a little part at the top, which is meant to be colored as the tip.
- Paint the exposed part as your tip. Ensure the tip is well painted. If you make mistakes, the moleskin will still make the edge a perfect round shape.
Method 3: Using a Whiteout
A whiteout is like a correction pen, which will prevent mistakes. With the whiteout, your French manicure will have a square and even edge.
When you use it, it makes it easy for you to paint out a perfect tip. So opt for it instead of using a white polish and save yourself a lot of time. It doesn’t really look different after using, so you don’t have to worry.
Method 4: Using a Rubber Band
Although using a rubber band does not mean you will have a flawless French nail art, the odds are higher if you follow the steps.
- Apply a base coat over your nails and let it dry.
- Pick a rubber band and tie a knot at the middle. There will be two loops on either side.
- Put a loop over the nail you are painting and the other loop on the thumb to make it firm and in position.
- Dip the polish brush in the bottle of the nail polish of your choice. Then, paint above the rubber band as the tip.
- Before the polish dries completely, remove the rubber band.
- If there is any mistake, use a top coat to make corrections.
Do you know you can make a nail art over your manicured nails? With these tips, you will come with an error-free and beautiful French nail design.
- A good choice of manicure kit goes a long way. It should have all the necessary tools you will need, including a classic base coat, a top color, etc.
- At every stage, it is important to let a layer dry off before you continue.
- Clean nails to enhance the appearance of your French manicure.
- A good choice of a base color isn’t only pink or cream. Use red, purple, blue, green or any other color that pleases you.
- Go for a white nail polish or a contrasting color for the tips.
- When you want to apply the white tip, you could hold the brush in a hand, and move the hands you want to paint under the brush.
- When you want to paint the tip, make sure it is not too thick.
- After painting your nail with a white nail polish, put a Q-tip inside a nail polish remover to correct mistakes. You could go over the tips with a pinkish silver or any other fun light color.
- Use a cotton swab to apply some Vaseline (or petroleum jelly) on the skin around your nails before your French manicure.
- Do you want the edge of the tips across the nails to look curvy? Cut the tape to possess the desired shape before you apply it to the nails.
- Paint two layers of base coat to prevent your nail from chipping. The first layer will cover the entire nail; the second will be applied at the top towards the tip.
- The polish will dry faster if you soak your nails in cold water after painting.
- Alternatively, you could spray some nonstick cooking spray.
- Use the soft tip of your tongue to correct smudged paint after using dry polish.
- Pre-paint on a sandwich bag. If you are not confident or comfortable making French manicure with designs, you could paint the design on a plastic sandwich bag. Paint the top of the plastic to become thick. Let it dry and then add the design at the top. Let it dry too, and peel it off to glue to your nails with a base coat.
- Apply tiny nail art accessories like rhinestones on your nails with the tip of a pencil eyeliner.
The beauty and duration of your French manicure depend on the product you use and how. Once you have conquered the hoe from above, here is where you should make the right choice. In our simplicity, these are the five best French manicure kits to deliver the best nail appearance.
1. Sally Hansen Hard as Nails French Manicure in Nearly Nude
The necessary items you need come in a single French manicure kit. And they would be there anytime and every time to help you get a beautiful nail appearance. You will complete the use in just two steps, and it won’t chip like those nail kits that have caused you a headache. For the duration, the quality lasts long on your nails. This French manicure get is available now at Ulta Beauty.
2. Ella + Mila French Mani Set
The surface of your French nails will be lively and lovely thanks to this kit. But can it stay in style for long? Like very long? You can get something livelier only if you trust us on this. Buy this French mani set from Target and enjoy a fresh-from-the-beauty-world nail.
3. Revel Nail French Manicure Nail Dip Powder Kit
With this French manicure kit on your table, your mind will be spurred on to act. It is easy, has a unique white and pink paint. You won’t damage your nails. We won’t talk about the look until you try it. A little guess: something like a celebrity. Get this SNS nail kit from Amazon!
4. Sally Hansen Diamond Strength French Manicure Pen Kit in Barely There
It is a time-saving French mani kit containing important tools. The strength isn’t limited to its bright color. It is well developed for home use, which means it is as easy as eating cakes. And it comes with a manicure and pedicure guide that totally simplifies the process. This French manicure kit is also available at Amazon.
5. ORLY The Original French Manicure Complete Kit in Pink
Get this French mani kit from BeautyEncounter, and you will have an amazing base coat, a special white tips lacquer, two mani guides and more. The unique appearance lasts till you get bored or just want a different color. But don’t use it often – you could be asked many times how you get your magical French nails.
Photos via @vogue_studia, Instagram