This post may contain affiliate links.
Crossbody bags are a perfect example of an item that is both cute and convenient. Most bags have adjustable straps and a fitted handle. In past years, it was most common to see these bags carried by the hand or over a shoulder, but these days we can see a serious preference for the more convenient crossbody carry. Designer crossbody bags, in particular, can make a serious impact, as they are just as conspicuous as handheld bags.
We’ve selected the best crossbody bags for you to check out! These designer crossbody bags are fresh off the runway, with both classic and avant-garde designs. We also include a brief history of the crossbody bag and finish with some styling tips that’ll help you feel comfortable with your bag.
Best Designer Crossbody Bags: Contents
- 21 Best Designer Crossbody Bags to Get Your Hands on
- The Birth of the Crossbody Bag
- Fashion Tips for Styling Your Crossbody Bags Like a Fashionista
These 21 crossbody purses are real statement-makers, so make sure to pick your perfect size and color and daze with your outfit combinations!
1. Gold Chain Crossbody Bag
This gorgeous designer crossbody purse is all about modern elegance. The little black leather bag gives us a new take on the classic Gucci hardware, with an interlocking clasp made of both gold and silver metals. The crossbody chain is made of delicate gold and is classy enough for any occasion. Buy it from Net-a-Porter!
2. Neon Yellow Crossbody Purse
This is another crossbody bag that is on the smaller side of things but still packs a punch. It is one of Marc Jacobs’ iconic camera bags, so it is very well suited for day-to-day wear. It is made of neon yellow PVC and is adorned with golden JJ hardware. The crossbody strap is made of thick canvas that is comfortable and durable. Get this bag at My Theresa!
3. Cream Crossbody Bag
If your aesthetic looks a lot like what pops up when you look up #stickofbutter on Instagram then this is surely the best crossbody bag for you. This small bag is made of creamy off-white leather, with a chain link shoulder strap fitted with matching leather detail. The YSL hardware is front and center. It is available at Forward.
4. Kiwi Green Crossbody Purse
Feeling colorful? In the mood for some color blocking? This kiwi green designer crossbody bag can certainly help tie your look together! It is on the smaller side of things, with golden Hermès H hardware. Though this bag initially seems cute and fun, it’s actually a worthwhile investment bag. You can find it at Moda Operandi.
5. Pleated Crossbody Bucket Bag
We knew pleats were in for skirts and tops, but we didn’t realize how great they’d be on a crossbody purse! This Mansur Gavriel bag is made of earthy brown leather that’ll work best with a more natural or boho aesthetic. It has long double straps, so it can be carried a few different ways. It is sold online through Net-a-Porter.
6. Round Acrylic Crossbody Bag
This Cult Gaia circular crossbody bag is perfect for parties and short excursions. It is made of sunshine yellow marble acrylic that is cheerful and bright, with a sunray-like design to match. The beaded crossbody strap is detachable, so you can carry the purse as a clutch if necessary. Buy it at Forward!
7. Pink Striped Crossbody Bag
This funky crossbody purse will put you in a great mood. It is covered in fun pink and white stripes and has a detachable sporty canvas crossbody strap as well as a leather strap for hand carrying. In true Off-White spirit, the hardware looks like a binder clip. Get it from My Theresa!
8. Antique Green Crossbody Purse
If you’re in the mood for a vintage vibe then this will be one of the best crossbody bags for you. The leather it is made of is a faded mint shade that has an old-timey feel, while the belt-like buckled brown strap gives a masculine air to the little bag. It also features gold Chloé hardware and snakeskin details. Pick it up at Nordstrom!
9. Ombre Striped Crossbody Handbag
We love a non-traditional Coach purse. This tiny crossbody purse is decorated with stripes of pink and white, with the pink stripes fading in a unique ombre effect. The cross-body chain is delicate and feminine, with the Coach branding kept small. It’s available at Farfetch.
10. Croc-Embossed Crossbody Bag
This unique designer crossbody bag will also fit in with a butter-colored ensemble. It is made of classy croc-embossed leather in a cream shade, with lovely gold detailing including a crossbody chain. The elongated design has three inner pockets and is just large enough for a smartphone and wallet. Find it on Net-a-Porter!
11. Graffiti Print Crossbody Tote
This Balenciaga tote is one of the best crossbody bags for those with a more urban style. It is made of grainy goat leather covered in a colorful graffiti print. The strap is quite thick in comparison to the small size of the bag, lending a masculine vibe. Pick it up from My Theresa!
12. Orange Croc Crossbody Bag
Jacquemus is the label most responsible for the rise of tiny crossbody bags, and this one is particularly emblematic. It’s made of bright orange croc-embossed leather, with sky blue shoulder strap. The Jacquemus logo is on the side, in a more modern design. Order it from Farfetch!
13. Appliquéd Crossbody Purse
If you’re embracing the ‘70s elements that coursed through the most recent runway season, this would be the best crossbody bag to pick up. The base is black, but appliqués in orange and white lend it a ‘70s color pattern. This Fendi bag is quite convenient, with two fairly large inner pockets. This bag is sold through Net-a-Porter.
14. Structured Crossbody Bag
This Danse Lente crossbody purse will add some easy sophistication to your look. The burgundy and white color combination is unusual, especially with the punchiness of the bright blue strap. The asymmetrical flap and round hardware make it especially architectural. Find it online at My Theresa!
15. Knotted Crossbody Bag
This saddle crossbody bag might seem traditional at first glance, but then you notice the knotted handle, which is oh-so-whimsical. The earth-toned combination of leather and suede will go with almost all of your casual summer outfits. You can buy it from Shopbop.
16. Mint Green Crossbody Purse
This mint bag from Marni is a great example of how pastel tones can be color-blocked into something ultra-sophisticated. The little red side details give maturity to the delicate bag. Wear it crossbody with colorful, cool-toned garments. Get it from Farfetch!
17. Blush Crossbody Bag
This blush-colored Valentino bag is all about demure romance. It’s a traditional flap bag made with two tones of leather, but it’s juiced up by large Valentino hardware and a red ribbon. The shoulder strap is removable, so you can carry it as a clutch. It’s available through Net-a-Porter.
18. All-White Crossbody Purse
This would make for the best summer vacation crossbody purse! The stark white tone gives Mediterranean vibes and the J.W. Anderson anchor plaque reinforces the seaside vibes. This monochrome bag is fairly small, so rely on it for essentials only! Order it from Net-a-Porter!
19. Striped Satin Crossbody Bag
We don’t blame you if you’re over all of these leather designer crossbody bags. Take a look at this gorgeous satin creation, instead. This striped satin fold-over bag is playful, but it also has some serious elegant elements, like a golden clasp and chain strap. Buy it at Moda Operandi!
20. Autumn Red Crossbody Bag
The muted red tone of this Miu Miu crossbody purse makes it an ideal choice for those who prefer darker colors in colder seasons, but want to avoid blacks and dark browns. The bag is covered in a cushioned chevron design, with an extra-large clasp and gold chain. As classy as can be! You can find it on Net-a-Porter.
21. Pineapple Crossbody Purse
We don’t think there’s any other bag you can choose if you’re into an extra playful aesthetic. This beaded bag is designed to look like a pineapple, i.e. the most fun fruit ever. It’s a bucket-style bag with magnetic closures that’ll keep your items secure. Wear it with your best summer outfits! Get it from Shopbop!
A crossbody bag is a bag with a long strap, that is meant to be worn over the shoulder and across the torso. This is in particular contrast to a shoulder bag, which is meant to be worn over the shoulder and under the arm, without crossing the body.
Crossbody bags are one of the most convenient ways of carrying lots of items while still having both hands be free because they distribute the weight over both the shoulder and the back, but unlike a backpack, they allow for easy access to what’s being carried.
The first crossbody bags to be mass-produced are messenger bags, which were fairly large crossbody purses carried by mail carriers and messengers; hence the name. The use of these became common in the late 19th-century when they became standard issue for Pony Express mail carriers.
These bags were great because they allowed messengers to easily access the parcels they were carrying without having to move the bag around but still kept their hands free. In addition to messengers, crossbody bags and satchels were also popular in the military and with various tradesmen.
This story gets interesting as we start to wonder when this functional item became part of women’s fashion. In more “proper” decades, including the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century, women were much likelier to carry a small clutch, reticule, or handbag in their hands. They weren’t expected to have much on them, and they certainly were not supposed to have anything hanging off of them. There is definitely room to associate hands-free bags with feminism, as the first shoulder bags were popularized by the suffragettes in the ‘20s.
It’s only in the 1960s that we begin to see women’s handbags fitted with crossbody straps that allow for more functionality. Even then, however, shoulder bags and handbags were still more popular, although crossbody bags would slowly gain popularity until these days when they’re an acceptable part of mainstream fashion.
Crossbody bags are just as versatile as other types of bags and purses, so don’t be afraid to get creative!
• The thing about crossbody purses is that the strap becomes part of your ensemble. Keep that in mind when deciding between a bag with a delicate golden chain strap or a bulky canvass strap.
• More delicate straps tend to be more formal, while bulkier straps are more casual.
• As with any bag, choose a crossbody bag that will fit your aesthetic and go-to color story.
• At the same time, also allow for a bag to be a punch complement to your look. If you tend to wear neutrals, a colorful bag can really brighten things up and add interest to your look.
• Choose a smaller, designer crossbody bag for upscale events, as they tend to look more elegant.
• A smaller crossbody purse is also great if you’re going out exploring or dancing, as it won’t weigh you down or hurt your shoulders, and is less likely to bounce around uncomfortably.
• Play around with the height at which your bag sits by adjusting the straps! If your style is a bit flowier, then definitely keep your bag hanging low, at around hip height, but for more fitted fashions play around with hiking it up to waist height. By the way, the higher your crossbody sits, the tougher it’ll be to pickpocket you.
• Another thing to keep in mind is that your bag will draw attention to that part of your body, so don’t wear it at a height where you don’t want people looking at. A bag worn low will emphasize the hips, while a bag worn high will draw attention to the chest or waist.
• Have fun with layering by pulling a loose jacket, shawl, or coat over your crossbody bag.
• Crossbody bags can work beautifully as part of a color-blocked outfit. They are just as impactful as your shoes or top.
• If you prefer a more cohesive look, match the color of your bag to a more minor color detail in your outfit.
• Wear your crossbody purse hanging in front of you to really make it shine as part of your look, and also to ensure easy access to your valuables.
• If your style is eclectic and you’d like a bag to go with everything, choose one in a neutral tone like black, brown, or white.
• Multi-bagging is still in! You can absolutely rock one or two crossbody bags of various sizes, along with a handbag.
• A crossbody bag worn over a baggier outfit can be the secret to avoiding an overly slouchy look. It can pinch a bit of the fabric in and accentuate your figure.
Photos via @collagevintage, @aylin_koenig, @black_palms