Long since graduated but so ready to return to the backpack, albeit in a polished and grown-up form? Enter the designer backpack territory, a guaranteed statement accessory that will up your style game and gain you some undeniable style acumen. Forget the report cards and stock up some sartorial points instead with the elegant, playful, and sassy crop of modern and aesthetically heavy hitting designer backpacks.
We’ll help you brush up on some styling tips and provide a cheat sheet on some looks you’ll want to make your own. Let’s study the best designer backpacks for women below!
Most Iconic Designer Backpacks to Get Your Hands on: Contents
Backpacks have long been the purview of students everywhere but they have reentered the world of high fashion as of late. We have located this new obsession with the backpack within the wider trend of ultra-comfortable clothing and accessories. Baggy mom jeans and tractor-soled dad sneakers are also elements of this wider sartorial mood.
Ten years ago it would have been poor taste to wear outlandishly bulky running shoes and a relaxed backpack to the club. Now every other woman you see is rocking this laid-back aesthetic.
Some fashion observers have pointed to famed brand Herschel as being fundamental to the backpack’s rising star. Whoever the originator of this trend may be, one thing is clear: backpacks are back!
Among the most iconic designer bags, there are designer backpacks that have made history, becoming a covetable accessory piece every fashionista would dream to have in her closet. Here we bring you 21 of the coolest and best designer backpacks for women that have been making waves on the social media platforms and in the streets.
1. Alexander Wang Hook Mini-Croc Effect Leather Backpack
Patent crocodile skin is unapologetically luxe. This is the private school girl’s backpack on steroids. Sculptural silver carabiner hardware creates a decadent contrast to the rich black exterior. This designer backpack is spacious enough for all your necessities and can be adjusted to sit high or low – or even carried as a sleek purse. It is available at Net-a-Porter.
2. Gucci GG Marmont 2.0 Imitation Pearl Embellished Denim Backpack
Infuse your faux back-to-school look with some retro pearls for a graceful and playful feminine mood. Neat stitching infuses the laid-back denim with some structure and elegance. The antique and archive-inspired Gucci logo hardware is graphic and old school cool. One of the most iconic designer backpacks, this Gucci piece is available at Nordstrom.
3. Burberry The Small Rucksack in Vintage Check and Leather
All the uptown sophistication and intellectual prowess of a London socialite made manifest in a sweet and snappy little rucksack! The rich history of craftsmanship and the storied heritage of Burberry are infused into a modern and approachable silhouette. This iconic designer backpack is the perfect balance between contemporary and traditional. You can get it from Farfetch.com.
4. Fendi Logo Backpack in Red
Opulence in an innovative form? We’ll take it. This lipstick red calfskin leather backpack combines jacquard fabric lining with molten gold logo hardware. The oversized hardware is playful and urbane, with a decidedly alluring and confident overtone. The adjustable shoulder straps make this Fendi backpack a wearable and practical option for the everyday. It is available at Fwrd.com.
5. Prada Stud-Embellished Nylon Backpack
Urban and gritty downtown cool imbue this designer backpack with a hit of luxury edge. The punk rock inspired detailing and nylon strap make the style street-ready. The spacious design will fit all of your necessities and then some. The drawstring fastening and roomy exterior pouches enhance the practicality factor. This is one of the best designer backpacks for women you can get from Matches Fashion.
6. Chloe Faye Mini Textured Leather and Suede Backpack
The dreamy and graceful sky blue color of this designer backpack softens up the silhouette and infuses the style with a feminine touch. We love the oversized ‘70s-inspired hardware and exterior chains – they add dimension and body to the miniature style. Sized to fit everyday essentials this Chloe backpack will pretty up any old outfit! It comes in four finishes at Net-a-Porter.
7. Mansur Gavriel Mini Backpack in Camello & Rosa
This sophisticated, sleek, and minimalist designer backpack is pure elegance. The creamy camel color is office-ready and will endow any outfit with a rich dose of sophistication. The gold-tone hardware is subtle and understated. The fold-over flap and drawstring create a practical and roomy final product. You can get this Mansur Gavriel classic from Fwrd.com.
8. Balenciaga Everyday Calfskin Backpack
Ultra-sleek and striking, this logoed designer backpack is edgy and city-ready. The streamlined design is spacious and practical for everyday wear. The pebbled calfskin leather is plush, and the quilted straps are comfortable. The exterior zip pockets are perfect for your lipstick, phone, and wallet. This Balenciaga backpack for women is available at Nordstrom.
9. Fendi Mini Back to School Backpack
This miniature forest green Fendi backpack is sleek and super contemporary. We love the miniature logo and the chunky silver hardware. The chain link straps are edgy and endow your outfit with a cool girl vibe. The fit is snug and sits high on your back for a relaxed aesthetic. This designer backpack is available in different colors at Farfetch.com.
10. Manu Atelier Fernweh Mini Suede Backpack
This designer backpack is a slouchy and plush bohemian bag with a decadent cherry stiletto pigment that will captivate the crowds. The supple suede is touchable and makes for a relaxed and thoughtful silhouette. The adjustable straps make this scarlet number a statement-making classic. Get it from Net-a-Porter!
11. Saint Laurent Medium Supple Monogramme Loulou Backpack in Black
This luxe quilted designer backpack for women is high-class hedonism at its best. The grosgrain lining and brushed silver-tone hardware up the glamour factor. The envelope-style flap and magnetic closure create a crisp and timeless silhouette. The adjustable shoulder straps ensure that this polished number will take you from the boardroom to the bar with ease. It is available on Fwrd.com.
12. Stella McCartney Falabella Go Backpack
This urban and sporty designer backpack is perfect for a laid-back and relaxed downtown hip aesthetic. It was released as part of the Stella McCartney SS 2018 collection, making it the ultimate in current style. The royal blue silk is uncomplicated and comes finessed with immaculate and understated tailoring. The silver-tone chain trim and zips are utilitarian cool. You can find it on Farfetch.com.
13. Versace Palazzo Chain Backpack
This mini designer backpack from Versace is sheer sweet decadence. Embellished with their signature Medusa head icon and designed in a cotton candy pink shade, this backpack will infuse any outfit with a playful edge. Ample storage and an alluring chain detail make this a practical and whimsical choice for the modern woman. It is available on Farfetch.com.
14. Valentino Small Rockstud Spike Backpack in Red
Quilted grained leather gets a frivolous kick with this cherry red shade and patent finish. Embellished pyramid studs give this designer backpack for women a decadent rocker feel. A detachable top handle and adjustable straps add a layer of customization to the bag. An exterior pocket adds further practicality to this Valentino design, which is available on Fwrd.com.
15. Marc Jacobs Playboy Bunny Colorblock Leather Backpack
This lipstick fuchsia designer backpack is pure playful irreverence. The color-block design is decidedly retro and lends your look an arcade ready feel. Kitschy playboy logo straps up the eccentricity factor. Dual zip-around compartments make this a convenient and practical storage house for all your necessities. Pick it up from Neiman Marcus!
16. Moncler Medium Kilia Backpack
This comic book-inspired patent red designer backpack is original and tongue-in-cheek while remaining desirably wearable. Padded shoulder straps and a double top zip closure make this a comfortable and practical choice. The medium size makes this a suitable option for everyday wear. You can get it for yourself from Farfetch.com.
17. Coach 1941 Campus Signature Coated Canvas Backpack
Elegant and timeless, this traditional Coach logo-embossed designer backpack will endow you with a new level of sophistication. A flat top handle ensures this backpack can double as a preppy oversized purse. An exterior pocket is perfect for your wallet and phone. It is available at Neiman Marcus.
18. Christian Louboutin Rubylou Patent Leather Backpack
This endlessly sleek and striking designer backpack will endow any style with a hypnotizingly de rigeur feel. Studs and a glossy patent leather exterior toughen up the mood of the bag. The interior? You guessed it – it comes in Louboutin’s quintessential stiletto red shade. One of the most iconic designer backpacks, this sleek option is available at Nordstrom.
19. Marni Small Backpack
A mod and swinging Sixties-inspired designer backpack for women that will take you right back to the days of Edie Sedgwick and Twiggy! A fold-over flap and magnetic closure make this a sleek and wearable design. Gold-tone hardware and delicate stitching are ultra feminine. This cutie is available at Farfetch.com.
20. Gucci GG Marmont Matelasse Backpack
Retro and timeless without feeling dated, this sleek Gucci mini backpack is petite perfection. We love the gold hardware strap and the glamorous branded logo. The fold-over flap ensures your belongings will be accessible day and night. This alluring and elegant designer backpack is available on the Gucci website and in stores.
21. Tory Burch Block-T Leather Backpack
Tory Burch is synonymous with understated class and timeless luxury. This creamy camel brown designer backpack is minimalist and sleek and will transform any outfit into something grown-up and sophisticated. Designed with 14-karat gold hardware, this roomy backpack will protect all your belongings. It is available at Neiman Marcus.
Backpacks are a desirable accessory option because they are more comfortable than a purse or a cross-body bag. A heavy purse can quickly lead to arm and shoulder fatigue, while a backpack keeps you comfier longer.
The best advice we have for choosing a backpack? Understanding what your needs are!
Do you need a bag to carry your world around with you? Do you want a mini-backpack for just the essentials? Are you taking it to work? Is it a convenient go-to for your belongings on nights out?
There is a backpack out there for all of your needs – just keep the following tips in mind.
• For busy women who want a backpack that works as hard as they do, choose a medium-sized style with a roomier design. The best mid-sized designer backpacks have space both vertically and horizontally. The key is to find a spacious backpack that won’t strain your back.
Adjustable straps make this a pinch. We recommend tightening the backpack straps so that the bag sits snugly on your mid to upper back. The heavier the contents of the bag, the less loose the straps should be.
• The best backpacks for women have adjustable straps – period. Don’t settle for a backpack without them.
• Consider your height and figure when choosing a backpack to create a balanced look. Tiny backpacks flatter petite women, while taller women should go for bigger backpacks.
One of the most compelling reasons to pick up a designer backpack? They look good with absolutely everything. They can bring a glamorous evening outfit down to earth and they can add attitude and charm to a basic jeans and tee get-up.
Below we will delve into some tips for getting the most out of your backpack – without the immaturity factor.
• In order to cultivate a polished grown-up aesthetic, go for a traditional material like leather or suede.
• The goal here is to look sophisticated and polished, not juvenile. This means one thing: no padded straps. While these sturdy and athletic go-tos were great on long walks to school, they don’t have the same effect in the fast and fierce world of adult fashion. They will negatively impact the cohesion of your outfit and will look, well, silly.
• Collecting and enhancing your designer backpacks with keychains and trinkets is one of the most fun and enchanting aspects of ownership. We love the freedom they entail. You can customize your backpack with sleek logoed hardware for a formal and polished look or choose a smattering of idiosyncratic and eclectic charms for a down-to-earth street style approach.
Pom-pom keychains up the cute factor and infuse your style with a girlish charm. For a bohemian style, hook on some fringe and feather decorative keychains!
• Hold your designer backpack like a purse for an aesthetic of unstudied timelessness.
• Holding your backpack over one shoulder helps cultivate a relaxed and confident mood.
• Refined features like gold and silver hardware can be played up by incorporating matching earrings, bracelets, and necklaces into your outfit. Enhance a gold buckle with a dainty gold chain necklace, for instance. This creates a synergy that is alluringly polished and classy.
• For a sporty-chic aesthetic, visible zippers and exposed pockets add an urban athleticism to your image. We love a cropped sweater, high-waisted jeans, and runners paired with a waterproof athletic designer backpack. A designer logo will ensure that your style is relaxed luxury at its very finest.
• Keep in mind the principles of pattern mixing when styling your designer backpack. A sleek and monochromatic backpack will look beautiful with a bold printed outfit. Alternately, a printed backpack can liven up a minimalist aesthetic. If you’re a born statement-maker, however, we give you free reign to power clash your backpack with a contrasting print.
• Fur designer backpacks are a lavish and outrageously shameless way of wearing the trend. We love this accent paired with a turtleneck or cozy knit sweater for a sweet and timeless cold weather look.
• An oversized backpack with an asymmetrical form and exterior detailing can create an architectural contrast with a minimalist outfit. This is perfect for cultivating a sleek and utilitarian mood.
• If you’re a coordination kind of gal, pair your designer backpacks aesthetic and tone with your shoes. A sporty pack looks hip paired with runners or tractor-sole shoes, whereas a leather jacket complements a bootie or heel with hardware detailing.
• There is nothing more breezy and alluring than a mini backpack paired with a cute evening dress. Designer backpacks have staged a comeback of late because they are so perfect for clubbing and dancing. The hands-free appeal will transform your nightly routine.
• For a casual cool-girl style that will take you from day to night, pair your backpack with sleek runners (or dad sneakers, if you so desire) and a T-shirt dress. The simple silhouette is timeless while retaining a feel of confident modernity.
• Pair with overalls, a monochromatic loose shirt, and bulky dad sneakers for a model-off-duty breeziness.
• A backpack can lend a sleek and elegant silhouette to a long-sleeved shirt and skinny jeans. Pair with tractor-sole shoes for a hip urbane outfit.
• For a sweet and flirty warm weather look, pair a small backpack with high-waisted denim cut-offs, an off-the-shoulder or crochet shirt and tractor-sole shoes. This is the ultimate in festival attire.
• Another beautiful spring and summer look? Pair your designer backpack with a romper or jumpsuit and sandals.
• For a relaxed day-to-day look we like skinny jeans paired with a baggy boyfriend style shirt. The backpack adds structure to the breezy and loose fit of the shirt, and the jeans create a harmonious and flattering silhouette.
• For a gorgeous and luxe downtown-ready look, pair a leather backpack with a leather jacket. This creates a provocative daredevil feel.
• A backpack adds structure to a long coat or loose parka.
• It can provide a compelling contrast with a chiffon or silk dress or shirt.
• A crop top and high-waisted shorts provide a sassy and pop culture approved look when paired with a mini designer backpack.
• For a laid-back, Pacific Northwest-inspired look, pair your backpack with a roomy denim jacket, a plaid blouse and relaxed-fit jeans. Timberland shoes round out this grungy-cute outfit.
Photos via @brittanyxavier, @vivaluxuryblog, @bartabacmode, @collagevintage